Chapter 3

Awkward

 


 

 

Baekhyun is entirely correct with his assumption that Chanyeol will be fine the next day. He makes sure to catch him first thing in the morning while he’s rummaging through his locker, completely oblivious to the world around him.

“Yah!” Baekhyun shouts as he grabs onto Chanyeol’s shoulders, which is really no easy task, considering his size.

“Ahh!” Chanyeol’s deep voice fills the hallway. He turns around with wide eyes and immediately smiles when he sees Baekhyun. “You just made me scream like a girl,” he accuses playfully.

“No,” Baekhyun is practically doubled over with laughter. “No girl could ever, ever scream that low.”

“Aish, this kid,” he mumbles, shutting his locker. “Well, I’m going to class now.”

“Yeol, wait,” Baekhyun quickly reaches out to stop him. “About yesterday, with the whole tutoring thing—“

“It’s okay,” Chanyeol says, not skipping a beat. “You know I don’t care. It’s just… you usually come to me about that sort of stuff first. I was surprised is all.”

Baekhyun looks at his best friend warily, but Chanyeol’s smile is way too bright to convince him that he’s not telling the truth. Finally, he nods, his own smiling coming to his face.

“Yah, you worried me, pabo,” he laughs, punching Chanyeol in the arm. He knows it doesn’t hurt him. But Chanyeol always pretends like it does anyways. “You were moping like a little kid.”

“No, I wasn’t!” Chanyeol replies defensively. “I was just tired, okay?”

“Sure,” Baekhyun snorts. Well, not really. Byun Baekhyun doesn’t snort. More like makes that ‘psshfft’ sound with his lips. “Get to class, Yeollie or your perfect ‘never-been-tardy’ record’s gonna be demolished.”

With a gasp, Chanyeol waves him off and takes off down the hall, his never ending legs making him look like an ostrich or some other equally as awkward animal with long gangly limbs. Baekhyun is still laughing behind him, more relieved than anything that Chanyeol’s back to normal.

He goes through his morning classes with a spring in his step, much to his teachers and classmates’ confusion. Byun Baekhyun has never been one to smile though a Pre Calculus pop quiz. But today he is, and Mrs. Kim collects his paper carefully, as if she’s scared he’ll do something crazy any minute.

He guesses he’s just relieved. He doesn’t know why, because he and Chanyeol have these little kinds of fights a lot, but it seemed really bad yesterday. Chanyeol’s known for his inability to stay mad at anyone for long, but Baekhyun was really worried that he might have actually pushed it a little too far.

But Chanyeol’s long forgiven him, which is just one reason why this day is shaping up to be the best day ever. Along with the fact that his hair looked freaking awesome this morning (two days in a row is a rare occurrence) and his English test was pushed back two days.

As he makes his routine stop at the vending machine for his cookies (his stomach grumbles at the thought), he digs through his backpack and finds out he has enough money for the big bag, and almost cries because a big bag of cookies means a very happy Baekhyun.

He feels like he’s in a musical or something. As he practically skips towards the choir room, tossing a cookie in his mouth every few minutes, he kind of expects random members of the student body to pop out of closets and trashcans and start dancing.

He even gets to choir a couple minutes early. Now he knows there must be some sort of rift in the space time continuum because he hasn’t had a day this great since the time he got a new bike for his birthday. When he was eight.

He locks eyes with Jonghyun as soon as he steps into the room. He temporarily forgets he has a mouth full of chocolate chip cookie and smiles widely. Jonghyun laughs, hand covering his mouth in the cutest way.  Baekhyun blanches, suddenly aware that he just made the biggest fool of himself.

Oh, god. He wails in his mind. His best day ever has immediately come to a screeching halt. I was trying to be cute and ended up looking like an .

He walks to his seat with his head down, practically dying of embarrassment. He subtly shoves the half uneaten bag of cookies into his bag. What the hell was he thinking… the big bag? Are you really that hungry, Byun Baekhyun?

“You’re making up for yesterday, right?” Jonghyun laughs. Baekhyun wallows in his own misery for just a second more before putting on a brave face and turning to him.

“I think…” he says slowly. “I got a little too excited when I found that extra dollar.”

Jonghyun laughs even more, a loud laugh that fills the entire room. “You’re really funny,” he says, flashing Baekhyun a smile. Baekhyun feels all his negative feelings just sort of ebb away when he sees it. It’s sort of like Chanyeol’s. Bright and big and full of teeth.

Miss Kwon races into the room the second the bell rings, like always. Class starts and Baekhyun can’t help but notice that Jonghyun hasn’t mentioned anything about tutoring him. He really hopes he didn’t forget.

Really, really hopes.

 

 

 

Jonghyun doesn’t forget. He walks out of the room with Baekhyun just like he did yesterday. Baekhyun thinks it’s a nice change from longingly staring at the back of his head.

“So hey I was wondering,” Jonghyun says casually. “If you wanna sit with me and my friends at lunch. We can talk about tutoring… and stuff.”

Baekhyun’s immediate reaction is to scream out ‘YES’ and do a little dance and slide down a rainbow because oh, my god maybe today is the best day ever, but then his brain catches up with him and he falls off that rainbow because… Chanyeol.

Even though things are squared away between them now, Baekhyun still has a tiny bit a guilt eating away at him for shrugging his best friend off so bluntly. He literally wants to bang his head on the wall because Kim freaking Jonghyun is right in front of him, asking him to eat with him. And who the even cares that all they’re discussing is Baekhyun’s slight retardation when it comes to anything math-related? Kim. Jonghyun.

“I can’t,” Baekhyun forces out, and he feels a little part of his soul die as soon as the words leave his mouth. “It’s just… my friend…”

“It’s cool! Tomorrow, then?” Jonghyun offers up. “Though I’m not sure how much longer you want your math grade to suffer.”

He says it in a joking manner but it’s true. Baekhyun’s failed like three tests in a row now, and even if it wasn’t the object of his affections offering to tutor him, Baekhyun would be actively begging for a tutor by now anyways.

But that’s what he had Chanyeol for.

With a final resigned sigh Baekhyun decides that, yeah, he needs to go make it up to his best friend. Jonghyun wants to meet him tomorrow. That means something, right?  He gives Jonghyun a helpless shrug. “Yeah, tomorrow for sure.”

“Awesome,” Baekhyun feels a slight shiver trail up his spine at the way Jonghyun’s eyes shine. Like he’s actually really looking forward to seeing Baekhyun tomorrow. Baekhyun thinks he might start sliding down that rainbow again. “See you later, then,” Jonghyun waves and disappears down the Senior hallway. Baekhyun sighs and waves back.

I must be the best friend ever Baekhyun thinks as he enters the cafeteria. Usually, when they don’t walk to lunch together, Chanyeol arrives before him. Today there’s no sign of him.

Baekhyun shrugs it off and makes the rash decision to buy Chanyeol’s lunch for him. They’re serving bulgogi today and even though Baekhyun thinks the school’s bulgogi is disgusting, Chanyeol really loves it. He laughs to himself thinking of the way Chanyeol’s eyes always light up when he sees it on the menu.

He grabs Chanyeol’s dish and just fried rice for himself (because he can’t get fat now that Kim Jonghyun is involved) and makes his way to the usual table in the very back corner after paying.

Kai, Sehun, and Minseok are already sitting there talking amongst themselves. Chanyeol’s there too, but he’s not sitting down. He’s shifting from foot to foot restlessly like he’s waiting for something.

Or someone, Baekhyun finds out.

“Baek!” Chanyeols calls like always. Baekhyun approaches him with raised eyebrows.

“What’s up? Going somewhere?” He asks, eluding the fact that Chanyeol’s wearing his coat.

“Yeah, actually,” Chanyeol says. “Me and Kyungsoo have to go over to the university for a lecture. It’s mandatory, so…”

“Oh!” Baekhyun says. “I’ll come with you, then. I got you bulgogi.”

Chanyeol looks down. “Thanks a lot Baekhyunnie, but… it’s organic chemistry and I know you hate it so you wouldn’t have fun. And I don’t want you to miss class and stuff…”

Baekhyun mentally curses his best friend for being such a science genius and at the same time for the fact the he’s skipped lunch with Jonghyun just to get abandoned.

“I really am sorry,” Chanyeol says, rubbing his neck. Baekhyun just shrugs and watches as he walks away.  Chanyeol throws a look back at him right before he goes through the door but Baekhyun’s pretty sure he’s already gone into face mode, and there’s nothing he can do about it.

“It doesn’t feel too great, does it?”

Baekhyun turns to face Kai, who’s wearing a smug expression. Sehun and Minseok are obviously pretending to be occupied with their food. Kai’s just looking at him, thinking he’s sooo smart and it makes Baekhyun want to punch him in the face. But he won’t. Because they’re friends.

So instead he just mumbles “shut up” before walking away, not even able to handle the shame that comes from being ditched by not only one of the weirdest kids in school, but his best friend.

This is a stupid move, though, because Baekhyun immediately realizes that he has no where else to sit and is now standing in the middle of the cafeteria like a kid who lost his mom at the grocery store.

And it just so happens at that very second, right before Baekhyun turns around, admits defeat, and goes back to his friends, he hears that laugh. He turns towards the source of the sound and spots Jonghyun walking over to his table with a few of his (kind of intimidating) friends.

Baekhyun takes a deep breath and squares his shoulders. And before he can talk himself down from making what might be the worst or best decision in his short life, he starts walking towards Kim Jonghyun’s table (or what might be his soon impending doom).



 

i really love how i try to convince you guys that i'm not a fast updater. i honestly don't know what's going on. there might be another update tonight. OTL

ANYWAYS. excuse me while i go die BECAUSE OVER 100 SUBSCRIBERS FOR ONLY 2 CHAPTERS. you guys have no idea how much this means to me. really. ;_; i've only been on here for like 3 weeks and omg idk. i'm getting all emotional. 

did you guys see kai + sehun + baek's photoshoot? omg. i know kai's shirtless and all but i really can't get over what cute legs baekhyun has...

omg. sorry i'm so awkward. 

oh yeah. you guys can follow me on tumblr (here) if you want. i mean you don't have to. but you guys are so fun to talk to. ^_^

maybe another update tonight. maybe not for a month!~ you never know. i don't even know... -_-

~Ari