Chapter 10

Awkward

 

 

 

“What the—“ Chanyeol stammers as Baekhyun forcibly pushes him further into the closet. Baekhyun ignores him and turns and shuts the door behind him, leaning against it since there’s no lock. And he really doesn’t want the school janitor to walk in on the conversation they’re about to have.

Chanyeol is blinking at him with wide eyes, looking nothing less than completely flabbergasted. He’s still got his paper lunch bag clutched tightly in his hand.

“Baek,” Chanyeol says, practically pouting. “I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m really, really hungry so can we—“

“Wait,” Baekhyun breathes, small surges of nervousness slowly creeping up from his gut. Don’t be nervous, he tells himself. It’s just Chanyeol.

Just Chanyeol… who looks really nice with the way the sunlight is streaming through the window of the otherwise dark closet. Just Chanyeol… who right now doesn’t look like Chanyeol at all.

“I need to ask you something,” Baekhyun says carefully, and he thinks he’s imagining things (he really is feeling dizzy from all the nerves) when he hears the other boy’s breath catch.

“O-oh…” Chanyeol bites his lip and grips his lunch bag even tighter. They’re not even standing that close to each other, but Baekhyun can feel that Chanyeol’s just become very tense.

And it’s not helping his nervousness at all.

“Okay,” Baekhyun says, running his hands through his hair. He hates the way his voice is shaking because he spent hours last night trying to prepare for this, dammit! “I know this may sound sort of weird, well… really weird, actually. But it’s not like I ever suspected anything like this to happen, okay?”

Chanyeol just nods, looking like a deer caught in headlights.

“You are my best friend in the entire world. I mean… there’s no one in the world that means more to me than you do. You know that right?”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol steps just the tiniest bit closer. In a subconscious reaction, Baekhyun presses himself farther up against the door. The lovely looking Chanyeol is gone now, replaced by one that looks sort of creepy, with his blank stare and shaking hands. “I know.”

“So that’s why I, uhm… finally decided to do this. Like, I mean, I think we should just because— well. I… uh…”

“Baek,” Chanyeol whispers, his deep voice rumbling throughout the small, dinghy closet. “I—“

“We should sleep together!” Baekhyun blurts out before he can stop himself. “I mean… will you sleep with me? Uhm… please? Or just… oh, god.”

He knows he should stop talking. But god ing dammit, he just can’t. He thinks he’s scarred Chanyeol for life at the mere suggestion, because the boy has the strangest expression on his face. Sort of like he wants to cry. Or throw up.

“I’ve never done, you’ve never done it,” Baekhyun plows on, giving a nervous, shaky laugh. “It only makes sense, right? I mean… I hear teenagers in America do it all the time.  We should just do it… Yeol?”

Chanyeol leans back against the shelf he’s standing near, making all the tools and cans shake precariously. He’s staring up at the ceiling and Baekhyun thinks that whatever Chanyeol packed for lunch is probably ruined now with the way he’s holding onto it for dear life.

Suddenly, and it’s almost scary how fast all of these things happen, Chanyeol has the most anguished look of despair drawn across his face, like Baekhyun had just told him his mother was dead. Then, not even a second later, he’s smiling, but it’s not the kind of smile Baekhyun is used to seeing on his best friend, which is wide and beautiful. He smiles with his mouth closed, still looking at the ceiling before turning to Baekhyun completely.

“Okay.”

“Uh… wait, what?”

Baekhyun doesn’t really know what to say now. When he was brainstorming last night, he didn’t really get that far. What should he say? ‘Thank you?’ or maybe, ‘Congratulations’?

He can't even process it in his mind. Chanyeol agreed. He was going to have with Chanyeol.

Oh, my god Baekhyun thinks, a little bit horrified.I’m going to have with Chanyeol.

 

 

The two walk to lunch in silence. After awkwardly exiting the closet together, only to be seen by a group of teacher’s passing by, neither of them could find it in him to look the other in the eye.

Which was weird, because it if had happened any other day, they’d be laughing their heads off. They enter the lunchroom, and Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun like he’s expecting him to go somewhere. Does he think he’s going to go sit with Jonghyun or something? Does he even know that Jonghyun’s not here?

Baekhyun just shakes his head and gently prods Chanyeol in the back to get him to keep moving. As they’re walking, he glances over to Jonghyun’s table, where his four friends are sitting and laughing and probably making fun of some poor unfortunate soul. He locks eyes with Kim Kibum himself, and by the smirk on his face, he knows exactly what Baekhyun just did.

Kai, even though his mood has slightly improved since yesterday, shoots them looks as they sit down.

“Where were you two?”

For some reason, everyone stops eating in favor of staring at them. They never used to do that before. He knows for a fact that a meteor could be speeding towards earth and Oh Sehun wouldn’t do anything until he finished eating.

Chanyeol just looks down sheepishly, digging through his now thoroughly crumpled lunch bag. Way to make them even more suspicious, Baekhyun thinks.

He’s actually really grateful that there’s only about ten minutes of lunch left, because the way everyone is looking at them is making him really uncomfortable. It’s like they know. They know that Baekhyun just more or less begged his best friend to take his ity so he could promptly up Kim Jonghyun after he returned from his ailing grandmother’s.

And when he says it like that, it sounds really, really stupid.

But it’s too late to go back now. And it’s not like he has any other plan. Maybe this will even help Chanyeol, too. Kai was so stupid, inferring that he never wanted Chanyeol to be in a relationship. Here he is, practically guaranteeing the kid someone by the end of the school year.

Okay, he’s going to do this. This is a good idea and it will work.

Kai can it.

 

 

“So, okay…” Baekhyun catches up to Chanyeol as he’s heading towards his bus stop. Chanyeol just smiles when he sees Baekhyun, struggling to match his pace with his short little legs. “We need to talk about this.”

“Okay,” Chanyeol agrees with a wide grin, wrapping his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder and squeezing him tight. Baekhyun blanches a little bit, taking a few wrong steps. What the hell is up with Chanyeol now? Earlier he couldn’t even look him in the eye and now he’s being all touchy feely?

“I mean, you do know what I’m talking about…” Baekhyun tries to clarify, thinking maybe the guy forgot. “Right?”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol says casually. “We’re gonna do it, right?”

“Uh…” Baekhyun stutters a bit, honestly shocked at Chanyeol’s frankness. And does he look… excited? “Yeah.”

“I’m going to home to do some reading,” Chanyeol says. “I mean… I know how it works. I’m not top of my class in anatomy and physiology for nothing, you know.”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun says slowly, pleasently surprised at how well Chanyeol is taking all this. “Right. We’re going to do this as scientifically as possible. Other wise it’ll just be…”

Chanyeol frowns, shooting a look in his direction. “Be what?”

“Awkward.”

“Oh,” he says, looking down at the ground. He’s taken to wearing those stupid fake glasses again, and he pushes them up as they keep slipping down his nose. “No… it won’t be awkward.”

“That’s what I’m hoping,” Baekhyun says, staring off into the distance as they walk together. “So… how about tomorrow?”

It’s Chanyeol that stumbles this time. He withdraws his arm from Baekhyun’s shoulder and stops walking entirely.

“Tomorrow?”

Baekhyun stops too. “Uhm… yes?”

Chanyeol now looks like he’s going to hyperventilate any second. Poor kid. Baekhyun’s probably seen every emotion pass over his face in the course of only a few hours.

“Tomorrow,” Chanyeol squeaks. “Really?”

“Well,” Baekhyun scuffs his shoe on the ground. He’s pretty sure he has a minor panic attack everytime Chanyeol freaks out on his plan like this. “My mom is working a double shift tomorrow. So she won’t be home like 3 in the morning. And I just figured it was a perfect time as any… I mean, when were you thinking?”

“Oh,” Chanyeol looks away, rubbing the back of his neck, almost like he’s embarrassed. “I don’t know, really. I mean… anytime… I guess.”

“Okay,” Baekhyun nods definitely. “So, tomorrow then?”

Chanyeol tries to manage a smile, but it comes out more like a grimace. “Tomorrow,” he says weakly.

“Tomorrow,” Baekhyun repeats, just for good measure.

Tomorrow… Byun Baekhyun is finally a no longer. 



 

alright. YOU ALL KNOW WHATS COMING NEXT RIGHT

RIGHT

RIGHT?!?~

i know its probably why you all ever subscribed to this story. it's coming. yay. finally. 

just thought i should say. they're both s. this is CHANYEOL we're talking about here. don't be disappointed if its not mindblowing passionate OHH LA LA smexy times just yet. the story's not called awkward for no reason. ^_^

ok. i'm not saying much more because of reasons. there might be a little surprise for everyone late tonight. i dunno. let's wait and see... 

~Ari