2

The Story of Us

 

“Are you trying to kill us?!” Luna screamed practically on his face as he drove hastily in silence. She held her seatbelt even more tightly as he takes another turn, drifting in the process. She wanted to pray to the saints but she can’t remember any of their names and it seems cheating if she started with dear all of the saints.

“YAH! You ran over the red light!” She yelled pointing over the stoplight that was now nowhere in sight. “Do you wanna die that badly?! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. THAT WAS ANOTHER RED----“

But the car stopped harshly all of a sudden, causing to her to nearly collide with the windshield. For a moment she breathed in silence.

Twice did she nearly die today and all with just one person to blame.

“Get out.” She heard him say

“Eh?” She looked at him and saw him tightly holding the steering wheel. His jaw clenched and his eyes staring fiercely on the road.

“I said get out or I swear I’ll drag your out of this car.” He turned to her and gave the girl a menacing glare. The whole ride she has been nothing but screaming. When it was her who offered herself to ride his car, which he drives and he owns.

“No way.” She told him simply. “You owe me your life so you can’t just throw me out.”

“Excuse me?”

“You almost killed me.” She said in a matter of fact tone.

“That doesn’t mean I owe you mine” He said not even sure why he’s having this kind of conversation with this girl who he thinks can pass for an elementary student when he can simply open the door, walk across his car, open the passenger door, unbuckle her seatbelt, pull her out and leave the loud mouth alone.

 

“Yeah-uh. If I had died back then, you’ll be sent to jail and be the next death row guy.” She explained, now fixing up her messy ponytail, if that’s what you call it, because from what he can see she’s just making it worse.

“Dea----“

“Omo! Look at the time! We’re gonna be late, what the hell are you spacing out for?” Her eyes widened as it passed by her watch. She began slapping his arm as if telling him to hurry up.

Seeing it was now pointless to drag her out, he just let out a sigh and stepped on the pedal.

...................................................................................................................................................................

SCHOOL

Victoria strode out of the Org room with much frustration at both hands.

She took a deep breath hoping it will clear her mind.

“Kyyaaaaahhh look look, they’re here!” A girl shouted from somewhere along the hallways. And all of a sudden, all the girls seem to be gushing and screaming, going all gyaaa to kyaaa over the four guys who confidently walked down from the other side as if people making way for them and giving out praises and shrills are the most natural thing in the world.

 

Victoria stepped aside. Her hands now turned into fists. A few minutes ago, she was desperately calling him, praying to god he’s still doing fine. And now here he is, walking calmly and smiling so brightly along with his good for nothing friends.

 

“Oh, Pres! Anyeong!” Taemin greeted her to a stop when they passed by her. It took a lot of effort to prevent her eyes from rolling. Anyeong? How hateful can a word be?

“Yah Lee Jinki. Can I talk to you for a minute?” She asked the guy who’s the only one capable of making her blood boil to the extreme. Onew brushed his light brown hair back, looked at the girl with the ice cold eyes before shrugging.

“I don’t really have a minute now.” He said casually.

Whew. Kim Kibum, the prettiest of them all, let out a mocking whistle. Victoria ignored him.

“Then make one.” She said turning around and walking back to the org room, expecting and praying once again but this time for Jinki to follow her lead.

..........................................................................................................................................................

 

“The gates are closed, what does that mean?” The girl—whom by now he concluded is the most annoying girl in the world---asked him.

“That they’re not open?” He said sarcastically, dragging himself to her level of understanding.

“No you idiot, I’m asking you what it means.” She tried once again. “Oh no. Oh no, we’re late aren’t we?”

He rolled his eyes and leaned on the leather seat. Well, what else could it possibly mean?

She heaved out a sigh. “If only you could drive faster.”

The words rang over his head but this time he simply put a hand on his head, closed his eyes and wished that he can stop himself for murdering a girl.

 

“Hey, mister uhmm angel.” Luna called him, poking his sides, Jonghyun turned to her, and raised his eyebrow.

“Stop calling me angel. I have a name.”

“I’m not interested.” She said bluntly. “I just wanted to know if you’re getting off or what.”

His mouth almost dropped to the floor. Rejection isn’t really his everyday happenings and here is a girl whom he’s not even hitting telling him what? That she’s not even interested with his goddamn name?

He is a God. How come this loud mouth can’t see that?

“Look, I think your head is getting a lot of air, I’m not interested in you either.”

“I know. Did I say you were? Aren’t you getting off?” She asked once again, glancing over the closed gate of the school.

Seoul High School. She read the sign engraved by the wall. A small smile formed her lips, how nostalgic, she thought.

Then he glance on the guy beside him, looking at his highly defined jaw, his lips, his eyes...

Definetely an angel, she smiled to herself.

“Fine, I’m going first.” She said when the guy seems to be ignoring her again. She opened the door and got off.

“See you later angel. Now off you go, drive away.” She said cheerfully just before she closed the door, waving her arms as if shooing him away.

And there was only one word that left his mouth that time.

“Unbelievable.”

........................................................................................................................................................

 

Onew followed her, a couple of steps behind. He knew exactly where this is going to yet still he couldn’t help but do what she asks him to.

As they stepped into the org room, the familiar smell of lavender air freshener hits him right on. He shook his head. So Victoria-like, he thought.

“Sorry but...do you mind?” He heard Victoria say and that was the only time he noticed the guy sitting across the sofa, holding some papers at one hand and a cup of coffee at the other.

Onew watched as Nichkhun’s eyes travel from Victoria’s to him.

“Nich” Victoria warned. Nichkhun dropped the papers by the table and gave her a smile.

“I’m leaving, chill” He said, ruffling her head as he walked past her.

 Slowly, when Nichkhun was out of the picture, Victoria turned to him. Her eyes throwing daggers and if only looks could kill, Onew would probably dead by now.

“What.in.the.world.were.you.THINKING?!” She tried to be calm like always but her self control exploded making her shout the last part. She walked furiously to him. Onew took a couple of step back, seeing her all red with fury somewhat bring out fear to the surface.

 

“You! Have you finally lost your mind? Did your friends took out your brain and fried it for fun? No? Then where the hell were you last night? You knew perfectly well that if you stayed out too late my father won’t let me off easily. The house has ground rules. You’re staying with us for the time being so would please respect that and follow it?” She paused for a while. A lot of stress had been building up from school works to the tenants they had at home and dealing with Jinki isn’t really helping relieve it.

 

“Just please, don’t make it hard for both of us.” She whispered, wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand. Onew stayed silent, shocked that the infamous cold princess was actually crying in front of her.

Last night he had been stuck with Key’s ranting and it really seems unfair that the morning after he’d be greeted with another drama.

 

“Sorry” He said softly, patting her head. “I’m sorry.”

“Are you really?” Victoria asked timidly. Her head still bowed down but her shoulders now seem to stop from shaking.

Onew smiled warmly. “Yes”

“Then can you sign this for me please?” Out of nowhere, Victoria hand her a paper.

“Wha---“

“Liar, you’re still not sorry at all.” She cut him off

“I am.”

“Then why aren’t you signing it?”

“I---“

“Liar.”

“Okay okay.” He grabbed the pen by her hand and signed the paper without even reading it. “Done.” He said. But Victoria’s shoulders started shaking once again and in an instant he felt another wave of panic.

“Y-yah, stop crying.” He poked her arm but to her surprise Victoria burst out laughing. Hard.

As if the world suddenly became a big fat joke. She clenched her stomach with one arm and held his shoulder for support with the other.

“er” She said in between her laughter. “You really think I was crying? Over you? Puhlease.” She said dramatically, grabbing the paper from his hands.

“Now, my dear, you just agreed to do whatever I told you to.” She grinned over the contract that Onew has failed to read.