Chapter Two

This Song

“Aish!  Where did it go?!” Kevin cried out, as he frantically searched the compartments of his backpack.  “I had it with me, I swear.  Just give me a moment sir.” Kevin said, shooting the lead composer a sheepish smile before literally dumping the contents of his bag.

The lead composer rolled his eyes, crossing his arms in annoyance as he impatiently waited for Kevin to show him his song.  Kevin’s eyes darted around his pile of junk, trying to locate his blue notebook that held the song he had been working on for weeks.  It was his ticket to becoming a well-known songwriter and composer but it was nowhere to be found.  After a few minutes of searching, it was clear that he didn’t have it and the composer let out a deep breath.  Kevin hung his head in defeat inwardly knowing he had blown his chance.  “You came to me without your song?  Not only is it unprofessional and incompetent but it’s also disgraceful as a songwriter.” The composer stated with a shake of his head.  “Most people just think a song is a song but as a songwriter and a composer, a song is your soul.  I don’t know how much you want this job but for you to not have your song is shameful.  This act shows me that you are not passionate about music or you at least don’t take it seriously.” Kevin bit his lip as he listened wordlessly.  “I thank you for this has prevented me from making a big mistake.”

A flood of emotions raced through Kevin, anger, embarrassment, shame, and sadness were what he was feeling all at once.  “Now get out of here and don’t come back.  You have shown me enough.”

Heartbroken, Kevin shamefully gathered his things before darting out of the stuffy room.  It had taken him forever for the company to gain interest in him and after one unfortunate accident his dream was ripped away from him once again.  Night had fallen as he solemnly dragged his feet against the floor.  “How could this be?” He mumbled.  “I had it with me at the café and I was sure I had placed it inside my bag.  That was my only chance…”

Kevin’s feet halted and he sank down on some steps.  His eyes began to burn as tears started forming.  He buried his face on top of his knees, sobbing quietly to himself.  He had put everything into that song, his passion, his dreams, his blood, tears and sweat…everything.  And he had lost it so easily.  Ignoring the curious passerby’s, Kevin cried his heart out, not caring what the other people may have thought about him.  He didn’t have the heart to pity himself so he cried for his song and his lost dream.  A few minutes later he was all cried out but still he was unable to move so he just sat on the cold steps staring into nothingness.         

He was pathetic.  Only at the age of twenty and already he had nothing.  He had nothing from the past and now he had nothing to look forward to in the future.

Pitiful.

The next morning, after Kevin had willed himself to go back to his empty apartment, he woke up late for work.  It was like all his life was right out of him after he had lost his song.  He grudgingly got ready for work.  He didn’t want to go back to the café.  It was boring and he hated his boss who was always too lazy to do anything, which left him to do most of the work.  The only reason he had put up with it was because there was a small stage for entertainment along with instruments that he used to help compose his songs.  He didn’t have enough money to buy food let alone a piano or a guitar so he had been forced to use the café’s.  Because the café wasn’t that popular, there was lot’s of time for him to concentrate on his music but after his recent failure, what was the point of creating music if no one was going to hear it? 

“Hey, you’re late.”

Kevin bowed his head apologetically.  “Mianhe.”

“Tch.  Whatever.  There’s a table that needs their order taken.  Why don’t you go take care of that?”

“Ne.  By any chance have you seen my notebook?”

“You mean the blue one you carry everywhere?  With the horrible stitching and is seconds away from coming apart?”  Kevin looked hopeful.  “Nope, didn’t see it.  Now enough pointless questions, that table is getting impatient and the floor needs sweeping.” 

As soon as her back was turned, Kevin shot her an unamused glance.  “Ah what a painful boss.” He exclaimed as he tied an apron around his waist, already dreading the day even though it has only just begun.  “Getting me all excited like that for no reason.” 

In between breaks, Kevin had devoted his five minutes of rest trying to locate his notebook.  “Seriously where could it be?” Kevin growled, running his hands through his hair as he tried to remember where he had left it.  “I finished the song after my shift and had placed it in my bag before I went to the company.”

Kevin dropped to his hands and knees, crouching under the table he had sat in yesterday.  “Could it have fallen behind the booth?” 

As he was crawling and poking his head between the booths, the bell above the door rang to signify the entrance of a customer.  “Kevin you going to get that!?”

“I’m a little busy here!” Kevin yelled back from under the table.  “Besides I’m on my break!”

"KEVIN!” the boss’s shrill scream had surprised Kevin so much that he had jolted up only to bang his head against the underside of the table.

“Aish!” Kevin groaned as he crawled miserably from out of the table.  “Fine I got it you lazy, good-for-nothing—“

Kevin halted mid-sentence as an amused chuckle interrupted his whining.  Still on all fours, Kevin glanced up to see a familiar figure.  “Ya!  You’re the annoying girl from yesterday.”

Said girl only shook her head in enjoyment at his current position.  Bolting up onto his feet, Kevin quickly tried to recompose himself as he quickly brushed off the dirt from his clothes.  “What are you doing here?” He asked even though the answer couldn’t be more obvious, it was a coffee shop after all.

“I came here for the great service.” The girl stated sarcastically.  “But instead I got an entertaining show.”

Kevin smiled sardonically, clearly unamused.  “Truly annoying.” Kevin muttered as he led her to a table.  “What’s with your getup?” Kevin couldn’t help but ask, nodding at her hat and big-rimmed sunglasses.

He leaned down so that their faces were only inches apart.  “You don’t happen to be someone famous are you?” Kevin questioned jokingly, his face scrunched up, oblivious to their closeness.

“Ya!  Just what are you trying to do!” The girl screamed, shoving Kevin away quite roughly, her cheeks and ears red.

Kevin didn’t seem to understand why he was pushed away so he had a confused look before narrowing his eyes in concentration as he tried to place her face.  “Now that I think about it, you do look familiar…” Kevin said, his mind working overtime to place her face.  “T.V?  Posters? Where have I seen you before?” Kevin murmured to himself.

His chocolate brown orbs gazed accusingly at her.  “Just who are you?” Kevin demanded.  

The girl scoffed.  “What makes you think I’m going to tell you?  I don’t know who you are.  You could be some crazy stalker for all I know.”

Kevin laughed.  “So I was right?  You are famous?” He said, sliding into the seat across from her, a big grin spreading across his face.

The girl groaned before sliding her sunglasses and hat off. 

Kevin sat frozen in his seat, his jaw dropped in astonishment, as his teasing had turned out to be true.  “You-you’re-you’re Park Jiyeon.” Kevin stuttered.  “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve shown you who I am.” Jiyeon said.  “Now who are you?” She asked, not wanting to give away the real reason why she was at the café just yet.

Still a little star struck, Kevin shook his head before he stood up abruptly. "Excuse me.” He said before making a mad dash into the back of the café, leaving Jiyeon thoroughly confused.

Kevin stumbled into the locker room, where he leaned heavily against the lockers.  “An idol?  Out of all the people in the world…” Kevin cursed as he circled around the room, his head pounding against his skull.  “I don’t know if this is luck or a curse.”

Jiyeon sat confusedly in her seat, surprised by Kevin’s actions.  She didn’t expect him to run off like that with a dark look in his eyes.  Pictures or autographs were the usual response.  “I guess he’s not a fan.” Jiyeon joked.

She slipped her hand into her bag, grabbing hold of the blue notebook she had found yesterday.  Jiyeon had thought it was a long shot to see him at the café again but she went anyways.  She didn’t know he was actually an employee but at least it made it easier for her to return the notebook.  All last night Jiyeon had studied the song and lyrics.  It was amazing and she had made up her mind that she was going to locate the jerk and maybe ask him if he was willing to work with her.  To be honest, she was tempted to just take the song but thought against it.  So many things could go wrong with that idea and she hadn’t stooped so low as to steal a song even though she was in a desperate situation. 

She glanced back to where Kevin had disappeared.  “Hopefully he comes back out soon.  I have to get back to practice in ten minutes.  Seriously what a jerk, he didn’t even take my order…”

When Kevin didn’t return and the manager was too “busy” to go fetch him, Jiyeon had taken it upon herself to go retrieve him.  “Ya!” She yelled as she slammed the door open.  “This place sure knows how to treat their customers.  Do you know how long I’ve been waiting for you!?”

“What is it that you want?” Kevin asked, pretending to be occupied as he shuffled things around in his locker.

Jiyeon crept over Kevin’s shoulder.  Spotting another notebook like the one in her bag she grabbed it before Kevin could stop her.  “Ya! Give that back!  Who do you think you are taking other peoples stuff without permission you annoying girl?”

"You’re a songwriter.” Jiyeon said, ignoring Kevin’s jab as she flipped through the many songs that Kevin had written.

Kevin ripped the notebook from out of Jiyeon’s hands, stuffing it quickly in his locker.  “What do you want?” Kevin repeated quietly, his eyes downcast.

“I could help you.” Jiyeon stated.  “You’re not employed with anyone am I right?  If you work with me I can help you become famous.”

Kevin shook his head to Jiyeon’s surprise.  “No.  I’m sorry but I won’t work with you.”

“What?  Why?”

“I don’t work with idols.  I can write songs for them but I refuse to work alongside with an idol.”

 “And why not?  You’re being an idiot.  You’re turning down a rare opportunity.”

Kevin glared dangerously.  “I have my reasons.  And what’s this about?  Why do you need me to write you a song?  Don’t you have a hundred songwriters crawling around your company?  Why don’t you ask them?” Kevin snapped before brushing past Jiyeon. 

Jiyeon’s shoulder slumped as Kevin exited the room.  “Fine!” She yelled after him, clutching the notebook, which was still hidden in her bag.  “I was going to give this back to you but now…since you’ve refused, I think I’ll just hold onto this just a little longer.”