Story Time, The End

Arrogance and Ignorance

“I love him,” Queen Min said to herself, whispering the words as if they were sacred. But to her they were. After so long denying it, she had come to know what was really in her heart. As stubborn as she could be, it was hurting her to see him with the women, knowing that even though he hated the situation as it were, when it came to the end, he would pick one of them to be his future wife.

But no matter what, she would be there to support him. She was his friend above anything else, and—

“Min? Are you there?” She turned to see Kae Jong’s head poke into the room and scan around, looking for her.

“Yes, by the window,” she replied, heart thumping in her chest. He seemed to have had his arrival timed just when she was feeling the most vulnerable with her feelings. “Is something the matter?” He looked troubled, as if he was unsure of what to say and how to say it. He looked as she felt.

“It’s about Kyung Soon,” he said. Min stiffened in her seat. Kyung Soon happened to be the most detestable of the marriage prospects for Kae Jong. Yes, she was pretty, feminine and was unusually skilled in the ways of governance. Yet, this woman was a cold human being. She was constantly looking to increase her own position, especially at the cost of others, and she didn’t even hesitate in insulting Min on occasion. Of course, Min could not interfere with Kae Jong’s affairs, but even he had said at one point that the woman was awful, and he would never speak lies about a person’s character.

“I’m… I’m going to marry her,” Kae Jong said, looking down at the ground. Queen Min turned to look at him in shock.

“You are? But I thought…” She was honestly confused. Was he really going to marry someone so abhorrent?

“You thought what?” He asked, his eyes hopeful. She shook her head, turning away to hide her own sadness. *I thought it would just be us, like this forever. I was stupid, wasn’t I, to think so?*

“Ah, never mind I said anything.” She said, after a moment. “Sometimes I forget that you we are both young and we both have these dreams, and for some reason I thought that I knew yours, too. We’re different people, and… Well, anyways. I’m happy for you. It makes me happy to see you doing something that you want to do.”

Kae Jong could feel his heart breaking. Was she really telling him the words he was loathe to hear? But what she said was right; they were two different people with two different dreams, and he had assumed wrong that she had the same feelings towards him that he had towards her.

“And what do you plan to do?” He said after a moment, his tone much harsher than he would have liked.

“I don’t plan to do anything Kae Jong,” Min said with a sigh. “I can’t marry any of those men. They are horrible. They, they… I just can’t.” She looked at him straight on, her eyes pleading with him to see that it was because of him that she couldn’t be with anyone else.

“So you plan to just live alone, making it hard on yourself to rule? You plan to just let the council and the people look at you with disdain for being an unmarried woman ruler? Is that what you want?” He was being harsh, he knew, but he just couldn’t believe she would actually not say anything but “I’m happy for you!” at his marriage to an awful woman.

“Excuse me, Kae Jong, but I believe that I have done a damn good job running my kingdom alone these past few years, and I believe that I shall be able to do it with as much, if not more, poise and fairness for the rest of my life if I have to,” she was angry that he could say such hurtful words to her. “I am finding it difficult to respect and support your decisions, if you cannot do the same for me.”

There was a terrible silence while Kae Jong and Min just stared each other down. And quite suddenly, Kae Jong gathered Min into his arms.

“You’re my best friend, Min,” he whispered, running his fingers through her hair. “No matter what I want you to be happy, and I am afraid that you won’t be.” Min breathed in his scent, the smell of smoked wood and tiny hint of vanilla filling her senses.

“I’ll be fine, Kae Jong. Don’t worry about me,” she reassured him, holding back her tears. “Things will work out in the end.”

*

Kae Jong tugged at the hem of his shirt; he was unsure if the decisions he had made over the past few days were the right ones. He knew it would result in happiness for Queen Min, she had said so herself. But for him, he would be miserable. For the continued prosperity of the kingdom, he told himself. But this was only to get rid of the feeling of extreme sadness and disappointment.

“Your Majesty, it is time,” a servant said, poking his head into the room. The King nodded once and followed him into the hallway. His hands he shoved into his pockets, as they were shaking with nerves. As long as she would be in attendance, he would be fine. As long as he knew she was there to support this decision, he would be fine.

They reached the great hall, where his eyes immediately scanned the area for her. She wasn’t there; his courage and resolve nearly left him. If it wasn’t for the grooms attendant blocking his path, he would have swiftly made his exit to find her. And before he could search again, the doors opened and his bride was escorted inside. She looked beautiful. That he couldn’t deny. It was her personality, her wicked other side that made his stomach turn. But most of all, she wasn’t Min. Could he really go through with this? Would he really be able to live knowing that he would have to share his life with someone he hated?

 “And what a glorious day it is when marriage is the main event!” the clergy man said, unaware of the crisis the king was having. Kyung Soon, the bride, smiled at Kae Jong. Why wouldn’t she be smiling? She was going to be a queen; she could have whatever she wanted now. It didn’t matter that the marriage would be a loveless one.

“…And now, if there is anyone who objects to the union of these to individuals, please speak now, or forever hold your peace.” No one uttered a sound. Kae Jong didn’t know why he expected her to suddenly appear and—

“STOP! Just wait! Stop, stop, stop! I object, I object!” All eyes turned to the doors, through which Queen Min burst. She looked flustered and slightly ragged: her hair had fallen out of its usual precise up-do and fell to her shoulders; she was dressed in a simple green robe rather than her usual multi-layered formal robes. For most, they had never seen their queen so… un-queen-like. But no one could deny that even in such a state, she outshone the bride’s beauty many times over.

“You!” The bride screeched, pointing an unhappy finger at Min. “I thought I took care of you! You’re supposed to be dead!” the room was filled with gasps of shock and disbelief. Kae Jong moved from the woman and looked at her with disgust. Queen Min, known for her strong temper, walked right up to Kyung Soon and slapped her clean across the face.

“If I EVER see your face again, it would have been too soon,” she hissed. She snapped her fingers and stepped back. A cage of flame engulfed Kyung Soon, the flames teasingly scorching the edges of her beautiful wedding gown. She screamed and Queen Min laughed. “Do not be so foolish as to think I would kill you here. Unlike you, I know proper decorum. Guards, please take her to the edge of the forest separating here from the desert lands of Soyinka; you won’t be harmed by the flames. It is only at the edge of the forest that the cage will disappear, and you, Kyung Soon, will no longer be welcome here.” The Queen said no more.

“To think I would have actually married such an awful person,” the King said, turning from Kyung Soon and to Min. Screaming and wailing, Kyung Soon and her cage of flames was escorted immediately out of the castle.

“I’m sorry,” Min said, facing Kae Jong. He could only look at her with confusion.

“Why are you sorry? You’ve done nothing wrong! I was the one who said all of those horrible things,” he said, grabbing her hands into his.

“I’m sorry for not doing this earlier,” she said. And before he could ask her what is was she hadn’t done, she drew him, quite suddenly and passionately into a warm embrace. Kae Jong pulled back first, and rested his forehead against hers.

“I love you,” they said at the same time. They smiled and behind them, the priest cast his eyes upward. The late kings were smiling down on their children; this was how it should be.

“And that was how the King and Queen of Aogenki fell in love.”

“AWWWWWWW, but they didn’t kiss!” the kids pouted and whined. You cast a nervous glance in Kai’s direction; he didn’t seem to be bothered by the complaint.

“Umm, well…” you frantically wracked your brain for a reason, looking at Kai and hoping he would come up with something fast. Only, he turned to you, a smirk plastered on his lips. You didn’t like that look. You didn’t like that look at all.

“Kai?” You chuckled nervously. “What’re you thinking?” He shrugged and looked away, while you let out a sigh of relief.

“Alright kiddies, it’s time to-” You started, but then a most curious thing happened.

Kai kissed you, full on the lips.

_____________

AN: Alright! It’s this kiss you’ve all been waiting for. Sorry it took so long, I got sidetracked… anyways, I am satisfied with the way this came out. What do you think? Leave a comment telling me!

Also, if you are having EXO feels, check out Me and Him, my EXO oneshot series. It’s fun, and once I get all twelve members posted, I will start taking requests. Tell me what you think, and be sure to subscribe!

~Aeru

[EDIT] I fixed it so that the name of Kae Jong's would-be-bride is Kyung Soon and not Ga In. Sorry about the mixup!