Mystery Pick

Arrogance and Ignorance

The only thing on your mind after Kai's insulting words was meeting with Taemin after school. He seemed nice, and you had to admit he was pretty good looking. When the bell rang, you gathered your things as quickly as possible and headed for the school gates. Taemin was waiting, just as planned, and he gave you a sweet smile when you called his name.

"Kaemi-ah, you came," he said, picking up his backpack and shouldering it.

"I said I would, didn't I?" you replied. "So where do you want to go for coffee?" You spent a lot of time close to your neighborhood, and the area around school was relatively unknown to you.

"There is a place that opened up just a while ago that's not too far from here," he said and grabbed your hand, pulling you along. It was a strange feeling, having your hand held by him. It made you both happy and uncomfortable. You fell into step with him, and you walked like that, chatting and getting to know each other all the way to the cafe. When you finally approached the place, you had to let out a laugh.

"What's so funny?" he asked, as you sat down at a table near the front window.

"I knew you were a smooth operator when I realized you had gotten me to ask you on a date," you said, giving him a grin. "But a couple's cafe? You really are one clever guy."

"Darn, you saw right through me, didn't you?" Taemin said with a cute expression, but a jokingly sarcastic tone. "And here I thought I was the next Casanova. Looks like I still have a long way to go."

"I give you a B+ for effort," you said, opening the menu. There were lots of delicious looking pastries, and even better looking drinks. You settled on your favorite Chai latte with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar, and a serving of mini cinnabons. You looked up at Taemin, who was still deciding.

"Get whatever," you said with a smile. "Remember it's my treat for bumping you on the head before."

"How could I forget?" he said. "I think I'll just get whatever you're having. Makes the choice easier. I'll go order, okay?" He took your menu and walked over to the counter to wait in line. While he did so, you looked out of the window at the passerby. It was a nice day, and you were glad to be spending it doing something fun instead of working on homework or in the shop.

"Kaemi-ah? Is that you?" You turned to find Suho and a girl standing there.

"Oh, Oppa! And, your...girlfriend? I didn't know you had a girlfriend," You said, standing and smiling at the couple that seemed to be on their way out. "Annyeong. My name is Kaemi. Nice to meet you." The girl gave you one of the friendliest smiles  you had ever seen.

"I'm Kim Taeyeon. Nice to meet you, too," she said. She also had one of the most pleasant voices you had heard. She seemed like a nice girl, definitely the type that Suho would go for. "I hope we can be friends. You look like you have a good sense of humor, and goodness knows that I could use a good laugh now and again."

"Well thank you. I've never been told that before," you said,  grinning sheepishly. "I think we'll get along quite well."

"Ah, Miiiiiaaa~" Taemin called you, coming back to the table, your drinks and a tray of the mini-cinnabons in his hands. "Oh, Hyung, you're here too, and Noona. Hello! Are you on a date, too?"

"Too?" Suho questioned, giving you a raised eyebrow.

"Actually, I'm treating him to some snacks because I bumped his head by accident earlier," you clarified, not wanting Suho to get the wrong idea. Taemin was cute and all, but the attraction ended there.

"Ah, I see," he said, nodding his head in understanding. "Well then, we'll just leave you to it. Taemin, take good care of my dongsaeng, okay?" Taemin nodded and you both waved goodbye to the couple who left the cafe.

"So wait," you said once you had sat back down. "Are you older than me? You certainly don't look it. But I haven't seen you before..."

"I'm a third year," Taemin said, taking a bite of a cinnabon. "I skipped a grade, otherwise, I would be in your class. Though even still I am pretty sure I'm older than you. I'm 18."

"I'm 17, so I guess that makes you an Oppa. Taemin-Oppa," you tried out the name, and liked how it rolled off your tongue. "Has a nice ring to it." He laughed and you two enjoyed the rest of your snacks. Just when it was time to go, he got a phone call.

"I sorry I can't stay," he said when he'd finished. "My mom wants me to meet this family about piano lessons."

"Oh, you play piano? That's cool; you'll have to play for me sometime," you said. "And I'll be fine walking back to my place. It's not even close to dark yet, and it's so nice I might want to take my time. So you go and good luck, okay? I'll go pay." You walked up to the counter and presented the receipt to the cashier. She pressed in the order number, and gave you a strange look.

"Oh, Miss, this has already been paid for," she told you. You gave her an equally confused look.

"But I know I didn't pay for it," you said. Then it hit you. You turned around to find Taemin had already left, but you knew that it was he who had paid the bill when he made the order. Slick. Real slick. "Ah, never mind then." You had her toss the receipt and left the cafe, taking your time home, a smile on your face the whole time.

______

The rest of the week went by fairly quickly in comparison to others. You hadn't spoken to Kai but once, when you tried to say good morning but he simply brushed past you. He he hadn't been sitting with the guys during lunch, but they all said he was fine and just busy. You knew they were lying and he was avoiding you, but there really wasn't anything you could do.

And it was that Saturday came, and it was time for the group date with Eun Chae, and the guy she had met before. It was lucky because it was that same day that the orphanage had taken the kids to a farm out in the countryside to play with the animals. You would miss not going with them, but you were sure that they would have a lot of fun without you still.

Eun Chae had told you that it was going to be a mystery pick style group date, and that you should bring something that wasn't obviously yours with you. So, after getting dressed, and doing your hair and makeup, you grabbed Wally, the small stuffed bear yourAppa had gotten you when you went to visit your grandparents in the states when you were 12. The beloved bear had become a surrogate sibling to you, and you confessed everything you were feeling to him in times of both stress and happiness. It was obvious that he was extremely loved, as he had some small tufts of hair missing, and the hem of his shirt was starting to pull loose.

"Ah well, you look presentable enough," you said, taking him, your keys and bag and heading down to the front of the store. Saerin, your cousin, was there, manning the front counter.

"Unnie, I'm off now," you said, giving her a back hug. She smiled, and held you at arms length to get a better look at your outfit.

"Ah, my little girl is growing up," she said, wiping a fake tear from her eye. "Getting all dolled up and going on group dates. Where has the time gone?" You both laughed, and after bidding your parents goodbye as well, you headed out. Eun Chae had called the day before and told you directions to the place that you were meeting, and you took your time getting there. Apparently, there was one other girl, and one other guy that were invited. You neither your or Eun Chae had any idea who they were, but you hoped that they would be pleasant enough to spend the rest of the day with.

When you arrived at the restaurant as planned, you spotted Eun Chae almost right away. She was sitting with a guy that was quite handsome, and it was obvious that he was older. Eun Chae waved when she spotted you come in the door.

"Kaemi-ah! Over here," she beckoned you over. When you got to the table, the guy immediately stood and bowed to you. You bowed back.

"Annyeong, my name is Kim Jonghyun, nice to meet you," he introduced himself. "Eun Chae wasn't wrong when she said you were really pretty."

"I'm Shin Kaemi, and I'm quite positive that you and Eun Chae are definitely made for each other," you said, taking a seat next to your friend. "She likes guys who can compliment girls with confidence." Eun Chae nodded, no shame in her game.

"Everyone else should be here soon," Eun Chae said. "Put whatever you brought in this bag." She and Jonghyun both closed their eyes as you did so, and snapped the bag back closed.

"My friend should be on his way, his name is-" Jonghyun started to say, but stopped as he spotted someone entering the restaurant. "Oi! We're over here." You didn't turn around because you wanted to be surprised. And surprised you were when a shadow fell over you and you looked up to find yourself staring at Taemin.

"Oh, Taemin-Oppa," you said with shock. "I didn't know you would be here."

"Same from my end," he said, taking the seat next to Jonghyun. "He said there would be pretty girls, but if I had know it was you, I would have gotten a bit more dressed up."

"I take it you two know each other, then?" Eun Chae said, giving you a look. "I didn't know."

"Yeah, I bumped heads with him earlier this week," you explained. "And then-"

"And then I took her for a date after school to apologize," Taemin finished, giving you a wink. You hid a smile behind your hand. "You had a good time right?"

"I did thanks. I actually wanted to confess something to you, Oppa," you said, in your best aegyo voice, trying not to laugh at the looks that Jonghyun and Eun Chae were giving the both of you. Eun Chae looked horrified, Jonghyun looked completely lost, the other people in the restaurant looked like they were waiting for some k-drama like scene to unfold.

"Oppa, I... I really can't believe that they fell for it!"After a moment more of trying to hold it in, both you and Taemin cracked up.

"What's so funny?" Eun Chae asked, giving you a glare for not telling her that you had gone on a date.

"It's just, you looked so mad for a second," you said through your laughter. "It wasn't really a date. I was even supposed to pay for the snacks. He wanted coffee in exchange for me hitting his head, so I agreed."

"That's it?" Jonghyun asked, skeptical. "No strings attached? I didn't know my dongsaeng was such a smooth man."

"I learn from the best, Hyung," Taemin cooed, nudging Jonghyun in the arm. Everyone laughed, and it seemed comfortable between the four of them. Suddenly, Taemin's phone buzzed. He picked it up and a smile lit his face as he listened to the person on the other line. "Okay, sure. See you soon."

"Who was that?" Eun Chae asked. "Is it that other guy you invited?" Taemin nodded.

"He seemed like he could really use something like this, so I asked him along," Taemin explained. "I also asked one of my girl friends to come, she should also be here soon." Like when talking about most people and they suddenly decide to show up, the door to the restaurant opened and a very sweet looking girl stepped inside. She walked right over to the table and bowed to everyone.

"My name is Dayoung, pleased to meet you," she said, and right away, you could tell that she was not from Korea originally. Her voice was tinged with the same American accent that your Appa had. You brightened and gave her a short wave.

"Dayoung, my name is Kaemi, nice to meet you too! Are you from the States? That's cool, my Appa is, too," you said in English, much to the surprise of Dayoung, Jonghyun and Taemin. But Dayoung seemed to be happy that you spoke English.

"I am! Oh, it's really good to speak English with someone; my Korean still isn't that good," she said with a nervous smile. "So how does this work?" She took the seat next to you, and you proceeded to explain the mystery pick group date, while Eun Chae filled the boys in on your Appa and why you could speak English so easily.

"Thanks," Dayoung said as she put her item in the bag when everyone wasn't looking. "But isn't there supposed to be a third guy? Otherwise, it would get awkward."

"He's on his way, Dayounggie," Taemin said. Dayoung gave him a bright smile, and you could tell that they were close.

"Oppa, why didn't you tell me that you knew someone who could speak English?" Dayoung pouted, and Eun Chae pretended to gag noise behind her hand. You nudged her in the side, and she pouted.

"Jonghyun keeps giving her this look," she whispered to you, and you gave her a look. "It's annoying because he's supposed to be with me today."

"It's mystery pick, Chae," you whispered back. "What are you going to do if he gets her? Nothing, because that's not how it works. Don't worry about it. You've got enough charm to control snakes, so he'll be a piece of cake."

"Anyways, he should- Oh, there he is!" You all turned to the door to see a guy wearing sunglasses walking in, obviously looking for someone. Taemin waved and he sauntered over. You thought he looked pretty cool, but there was an air of familiarity about him that you couldn't quite place.

"Sorry I'm late," he said plopping down in the seat next to Taemin. He hadn't even looked at the girls side of the table once, and he didn't seem to be in a rush to take his sunglasses off, so you couldn't tell what he really looked like.

"Yah, Kkamjong, you have to be punctual about these things," Jonghyun said, waggling his finger jokingly. "Can't keep pretty ladies waiting." It was then that he looked over to our side of the table, and took of his sunglasses. You nearly had a heart attack, and you assumed he was going through the same. You jumped out of your seat and pointed a finger at him at the same time he did.

"YOU!" you both shouted, drawing the attention of the other customers. "What are YOU doing here?"

"I'm leaving, Eun Chae," you said, reaching for the bag to grab Wally. She grabs your hand and sits you forcefully down in the chair as Taemin has his own struggle across the table.

"You are going to stay, and you are going to enjoy yourself, no matter what happens, okay?" Eun Chae says, using her no-nonsense voice. You glare at her, then at him, and finally sigh in defeat.

"Fine, I'll stay," You say in deadpan. "Nice to see that you're no longer busy, Kim Jongin."

"Believe me, Shin Kaemi, I wouldn't have missed this for the world," he replies through gritted teeth. Dayoung leaned behind your chair to whisper to Eun Chae.

"Trouble in paradise?" She asked, and Eun Chae nodded.

"You don't even know the half of it."