Awkward Things Are Awkward

Trouble Overseas

Donghae his lips and rasped weakly, “Guess the pizza’s here.”

 

Eunhyuk immediately scrambled to climb off Donghae’s lap, hugging the blanket to himself. He didn’t trust his voice to say anything appropriate, but a moment later Donghae stood silently and padded towards the kitchen. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand Eunhyuk leaned against the couch and wondered what the hell had just happened. That had not been fanservice. It hadn’t even been a joke, although it had started that way. Things had gone too far, and Eunhyuk couldn’t even blame Donghae, because he had just initiated what they had both wanted. Groaning and willing the warm sensations in his stomach to burn out Eunhyuk leaned against the couch and focused blankly on the TV.

Donghae accepted the pizzas easily, signing the receipt and setting the boxes on the island. If the delivery boy had been surprised by his ruffled appearance he had hidden it well, even bowing awkwardly before he left. Still in a slight daze, Donghae grabbed plates and put a few slices on each. On for him, one for Eunhyuk…

Would his hyung be mad? Awkward? Donghae didn’t want either, since they didn’t have any of the other members to mediate…With resolve, Donghae carried the plates into the living room, setting his on top of his laptop. He handed to other to Eunhyuk, but before he let go he leaned in and kissed the redhead lightly on the lips, as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

“Do you want a glass of water?” Donghae asked with a smile. Eunhyuk appraised him for a moment before nodding. Donghae turned to go back to the kitchen and Eunhyuk kicked out to hit him in the . “With ice!” he commanded cutely, and Donghae laughed, giving him a thumbs up. Eunhyuk smiled, satisfied that they hadn’t gone too far to return to normal. Although, well, it looked like their new version of normal might have a few added benefits.

When Donghae came back with their water Eunhyuk finally allowed him to sit down and enjoy his dinner. They were sitting further away now, but their shoulders still touched. Donghae finished eating first, so he wrapped himself into his end of the blanket and rested his head on Eunhyuk’s shoulder. He glanced up, watching the redhead’s prominent jaw as he chewed slowly.

“Hyukjae, do you miss the other hyungs?”

He could feel the pause in Eunhyuk, the confusion in the question. “Yeah,” the elder replied after swallowing.

“And performing?”

“Yeah.”

“And having tons of people staring at you every time you –“

Eunhyuk smacked him lightly with a scowl. “I’m not that narcissistic!” he complained.

Donghae laughed. “Whatever, Hyukkie~….even though we only stayed inside all day, you still put on foundation and chapstick!”

Blushing, Eunhyuk protested vehemently. “Yah! I can’t help that my moisturizer is tinted! Do you want me to suffer through dry skin and lips? Besides, we don’t know how crazy our American fans are, if they saw us in town and followed us here they could be stalking us at this very moment!”
“You’re too paranoid~” Donghae cooed, reaching up to ruffle his hyung’s hair. Eunhyuk scowled and pushed the hand away, covering it with his own hand so it couldn’t come back to harass him. Putting his plate on the ground, Eunhyuk stretched out on the couch and tugged on Donghae’s hand, encouraging him to scoot forward. Donghae complied, snuggling into the small space between the back of the couch and Eunhyuk’s side.

“Don’t get too comfortable,” Eunhyuk warned, even as he shifted to give his dongsaeng more room. “I am not going to sleep on this couch again.”

Donghae laughed. “It isn’t quite comfortable enough for our old backs, huh?”

Eunhyuk sniffed. “Speak for yourself! Who’s an old man?”

“Even if I say it’s me, you’re still older than me~” Donghae teased. He wrestled his hand from Eunhyuk’s death grip and flipped it so he could entangle their fingers. “Shall I help the elderly man cross the street, like a good dongsaeng~?”

“Yah! Who asked you to do anything like that?!” Eunhyuk asked, but his lips were beginning to perk up into a smile. “Since I’m your hyung, shouldn’t you respect me more? Start talking in all honorifics!”

Donghae thought a moment and then quoted a historical movie where the warrior swore fealty to his lord, and Eunhyuk only stared at him for a moment before they both cracked up. They had fun roleplaying for a while, blurting out lines that they only half-remembered and adlibbing whatever was missing.

“I have to say, you make a good servant, my dongsaeng,” Eunhyuk teased mercilessly. Although they had gotten involved with their acting and had broken their hand-holding, he had Donghae in a one-armed hug and his fingers brushed across the man’s chest every time he breathed in.

“Of course,” Donghae replied boastfully, eyes n the TV. Their marathon had ended, but a sitcom had come on in its place and the fake laughter in the background was a little distracting. After a moment he turned to Eunhyuk and added, “If it’s for my dear Hyukkie, I would do anything.”

Eunhyuk sighed, jostling his dongsaeng a little. ‘I’m out of lofty King lines,” he admitted.

“Well I stopped acting a while ago.” Donghae sat up to face Eunhyuk, the TV lighting up his serious expression. “I really would do anything, Hyukjae. I…cherish you.”

Looking only slightly uncomfortable, Eunhyuk glanced to meet Donghae’s eyes and looked away again. “You cherish everyone,” he murmured, sounding just a little sullen.

Donghae chuckled. “Of course. I cherish the other Suju members, and our fans, and all the other SM artists. But there are very few people who have complete control over my heart.”

Eunhyuk frowned, fingers tensing on Donghae’s shirt. “A few people? Shouldn’t there only be one? If you’re going to let your heart be stolen, you should only let one person have it.”

Laughing, Donghae settled back and focused on the TV once more. “Geez, my hyung is so greedy~! Can’t even share with others!”

“I didn’t say I had to be that person! Give your heart to whoever you want!” Eunhyuk argued, but Donghae just smiled and eased their hands together.

They watched TV like that for a while longer. Though they looked relaxed, both couldn’t help but tense at every tiny shift. After Donghae’s vision had gone blurry for the umpteenth time, he finally sat up and stretched. Eunhyuk watched him with an unreadable expression but nodded when Donghae explained that he was ready for bed.

Donghae had just crawled into bed when he heard the TV turn off downstairs and Eunhyuk slowly ascend the stairs. Donghae wanted to call out, “Goodnight!” but he felt like it would be weird if he was the only one saying it. Without the other members, it wouldn’t be a loud and long affair to say goodnight. Besides, Eunhyuk had already ghosted past his bedroom door. And what had that moment earlier been? He’s just been speaking the truth, but he had even surprised himself with his words. He desperately wished Eunhyuk would acknowledge his true feelings – or did he? Although they acted like a couple, would the other members approve of their fanservice is it was more than just an act? Even with all these questions in his head, Donghae began to nod off. He had just closed his eyes and snuggled into his pillow when he heard the door creak and padding footsteps.

“Move over,” Eunhyuk whispered. Donghae complied without opening his eyes, not stopping until he felt his back brush the wall. The mattress dipped and the blankets shifted. His curiosity was piqued when he felt sweet breath on his eyelids and long fingers hesitating over his clothed chest.

He heard a soft, “Goodnight,” before a butterfly kiss was placed on his forehead. Eunhyuk settled down then, squirming under the covers to get comfortable. Donghae snuggled closer and Eunhyuk shifted the blanket around his shoulders. Even that simple gesture warmed Donghae’s heart and he nuzzled into his hyung’s locks, sneakily placing a feathery kiss above his ear. Eunhyuk sighed contently, shifting so that Donghae could press more firmly against him.

“I meant it. It’s yours,” Donghae whispered, the words slipping out before he could censor them.

Eunhyuk shifted and Donghae had a terrifying moment when he thought the man would get up and leave him. But Eunhyuk just replied with, “You’re hogging the blanket, let me have some up here.”

Tucking the blanket under his hyung’s shoulder, Donghae wrapped the man up in his arms. Suddenly wide awake, the younger laid back and focused on the faint beat under his wrist. He smiled – it was just a little too fast.