reminisce

The Unintended

"Oppa! Oppa!" I yelled while running towards him.

     He turned around. He was about to check in. His flight was going to departure soon. He's going overseas to debut as a singer. 

     If I lose him now, it'll be over. I will be left with all the queries.

     I'm telling him today! This is my last chance! I screamed in my head. Then maybe, everything will change.

     "D?" he frowned. "Why are you here?" 

     I tried to pass through his body guard. They knew who I am, so it was easy. 

     "I want to tell you something." I said-breathlessly. 

     He's getting more curious. "What is it?"

     I struggled to find the right words to say it but I failed. All I did was staring at him. He waited calmly. 

     "Final call for passenger of flight number 707." The speaker sounded.

     He wore his sunglasses back. "D, I have to go now." A smile was carved on his face. 

     "I...I..." I stuttered. I wanted to say it badly. Then I'll know the real thing. Whether i was only dreaming or it is the reality. I can't bare it anymore. Being a friend and pretend like nothing ever happened. It's been years!

     I breathed in as much as air that can be filled in my lungs. I looked around. Paparazzi were just across the other hall. They're separated with us only by a glass wall. Though they can't hear anything but they can still see us. Pictures of me and him were taken like every second. 

     He suddenly smirked. 

    Before i could let out the any words from my mouth he did something. Something that almost make my heart fall out of my chest!

 

 

3 years ago

It was cold that morning. Colder than yesterday. I think the temperature had fall below -5°C. I wore 3 layers of shirt, yet the coldness still can reach my bones. 

     "It’s freezing out here." I whispered to myself.  

     "It's always this cold in Korea." Xander put another jacket on me. 

     That was embarrassing. He overheard me. 

     I redress the position of the jacket to get the comfort. "Thanks." I smiled. 

     It's been 4 month since I've being transferred from my country to Korea. I admit it, I didn't really survived during the first month I’m here. I can't eat raw things, I can't adapt myself with the weather and I didn't even know how to speak Korean. Well, I do know a bit of Korean since my mother is a half-blood Korean. But it's not helping at all. I can't really communicate properly with others. However, I’m truly thankful that I've found Xander. He helped me a lot. 

     He taught me so many things. He's there whenever I need a company. No matter whether I'm sad or happy, he'll be there for me. Sometimes, I feel bad for him. I don't understand why he did all that. He sacrificed a lot of things for me-though i think it's not necessary. 

     Like last time, he was late for his dance audition because he was accompanying me to the bookstore. I told him that he didn't have too, but he insisted. There's nothing i can do. And there's this one time i got really low marks on korean language subject. 

 

I cried the whole day when i got that paper. Like always, Xander was there to comfort me. In fact, he helped me study almost every day until my next Korean language exam. I don't know how my life will be without him. The longer I'm with him, the more questions will pop out in my head.

     But one thing for sure. I'm not gonna fall for him.

     "Want to go grab something to eat?" he offered.

     I nodded. "Sure. my stomach is grumbling."

    He chuckled. "There's this restaurant across the street called Gangnam, we should go." 

     "Okay."

***

Should i call him? He hasn’t called me this week. I wonder how his day was like today. Did he have fun? 

     Urgh! 

     "I shouldn't be thinking about this, it's wasting my time." I put the phone that I've been holding for awhile on the coffee table. 

     Xander was in his trainee years. He's dream is to be an idol, here at Korea. 

     Usually he'll call at least once a month. But lately, I didn't hear anything from him.

     I peeked at the timer. 

 

It's already 3 in the morning. I should have gone to bed right now. 

     The silence of the night was killing me. I missed him. Am i? I'm not sure with my own feelings either. I don't know what else to do. I want to call him but i'm afraid that he might be busy-since this year is his last   year as a trainee, but if i'm not, i might gone crazy. What should i do? 

     Xander lives next door to me. He's the cousin to my neighbour. How can i fall for him? That's impossible. Besides, he's going to be an artist soon. But who doesn't fell head over heels for a guy like Xander? Though it's not like i instantly fall in love for him at first sight-Ooops! There, I've said it.

    Okay... That was awkward. Yes. I love him. No words can describe how my feeling towards him right now. 

     "Xander oppa..." I sighed. "Why the phone remain silent?"

     My eyes were too tired. I end up closing them-this time for real.

 

***

"D! Where are you?" Xander giggled. 

     I hide behind a counter at the kitchen. 

     It's been 5 minutes since he's here at my house. He came here straight after he get down from his bus. He's on vacation from his trainee program. And now, all his luggage were in the living room.

     I'm not coming out! I screamed in my mind-hoping that he could hear it.

     "D..." he called. "Come on... I've been longing to see you." He's voice started to change.

     I don't know why, but i felt pity hearing his voice like that. "You never answered my call..." I said in low voice. I wonder if he can hear me?

     It's getting quite. There's no reply from him. Maybe he didn't hear me after all. 

     I sighed. 

     Suddenly someone pulled my right arm. "Caught you!" 

     "Ai gabjagi... ya!" I hold my chest as if i can control my heavy breath.

     Xander giggled and causing his eyes to become smaller. 

     I smirked for a while and then back to where i stop-that is, sulking with him. 

     "Still mad?" he struggled to find my eyes. 

     Oh My God? Isn't it obvious?! Xander ya, neo babonya?! 

     He pulled me into his arms. I jolted. What is he doing?

     Fortunately my parents not home at this hour. If not, I've been dead already. 

     "You want to know something?" He let go of me-so that i can see his face when he's talking. "I think about this person in front of me most of the time when I was there." 

     Suddenly my cheeks felt a little warm. I stare at the floor. It's not that there is something on the floor but the purpose is to hide my blushing face. 

     I was speechless. Nothing came out from my mouth. My heart’s pound, really fast. I can't even breathe properly. 

     "Please believe me." Xander was just an inch from me. 

     "O..Ok..Okaay..." I stuttered. 

     He took a big step backward. "Yes! Thank you D." he smiled. He acted like it was nothing while I've just had a mini heart attack. 

     I don't get it. Does Xander likes me or not? I really want to know. Please tell me. I looked at him-full of curiosity.

     "Do you want to say something D?" he asked. I supposed he can read my face. 

      "Nothing." I put a fake smile. 

     "Well then, i better go home. They must be waiting for me." he grabbed his luggage. "Send my regards to your parents." he said and ambled out of my house-leaving me with those unanswered questions in my head. 

 

Present

My head and my mind were empty. Just like that, I out for a second. 

     Paparazzi are taking our picture-crazily! By that time, I was actually forgotten about their existence. I'm sure it'll be a huge gossip.

     "What did you just do?" I asked stupidly.

     "I kissed you." He simply answered with a grin.

     "I know, but why?" I frowned.

     He pouted. "You don't like it?" Xander acted childishly. 

     "Well, I...I..." seriously, I don't know how to respond. "I-"

     He cut my words. "Here is the reason." he's back being serious. "I don't want you to be the one who say it first."

     I continued to frown.

     "I love you." Xander said. He stared deeply into my eyes. "I love you all this time, D."

     That's it. Those three words answered all the questions that I've been keeping for years. 

     My tears dropped out of the blue. I ran my eyes away from his. "Why now, why are you telling me this right when you're going away?" 

     "I'm sorry. I'm afraid, afraid of losing you." He wiped my tears away. "But earlier when I realized that you're gonna say it, I slipped it out from my mouth." he continued. "Sorry. I'm sorry." Xander sounded regret.

     I shook my head several times. "No, there's nothing to be sorry for." I paused for a while. Suddenly I felt like i wanted to laugh. 

     "Why are you laughing?" he giggled a bit.

     I grinned. "I'm happy. Really happy." I hugged him. "Please don't ever forget me." I bury my face in his chest. 

     "Never." He whispered to me.

     I wished time is not moving right now. I want to be like this even longer. I want to be in his arm forever.

     "Xander-sshi, we need to go now." his manager told him.

     He nodded.

    We broke the hug. 

    "Promise me one thing?" 

     "What is it?" I asked.

     "Don't ever cry without me by your side." he pointed his index finger at me. "Because, I want to be the one who will comfort you." 

     I smiled-widely, as a yes sign. "Don't worry, I'll try my best."

     He began to make his move. Xander is getting farther away from me. I watched every step he made. He turned around several time to check on me. Then i remembered something. He was about to entered the entrance gate. 

      "Xander oppa!" I yelled.

     He turned around. 

     "Nan neol saranghae oppa!" 

     "Nado!" he waved at me. "Wait for me D! I'll be back!" he walked inside.

     There's no sign of him anymore. He's gone. However, i already get what i wanted. I grinned to myself. 

     He loves me! He loves me! I repeated it over and over again.

 

    "Thank you oppa. I will wait for you!"

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 

hey hey hello readers. So, what do you think? This is my first one-shot. Hope you'll like it. I like to invite you to read my other stories Ballad Love  and Selfish Heart.. Thanks. ^^