The Great Perhaps

Unexpected

Two years ago

“Are you sure you’re going to be fine, Baekhyun?” Baekhyun’s mother asks him for about the fifth time.

Baekhyun smiles and grabs his backpack, slinging it over his left shoulder, “Yes, mother. Don’t worry about me. After five years I’m going to come back a changed man! Wait for that moment, okay?”

His mother still wouldn’t budge, and her face showed much concern. “Fine, if this is what you really want… But we’re going to miss you really bad... Come back for holidays, okay? I love you, Baekhyunnie!”

Baekhyun turns the knob of their front door, ready to leave his home and seek out a greater adventure. “Yes, I will; I’m going to miss you guys too. Love you mom, see you!” He waves as he steps out and into the streets.

Baekhyun lives in a small town, but just two villages away, there happens to be a prestigious school for future knights, magicians, and fighters. Oak Academy is a school for those who want to serve the royal family when they grow older, specifically those who want to become either knights (focusing on swordsmanship and defending the kingdom), magicians (focusing on potions and new spells), and fighters (those who are skilled in both swordsmanship and magic, having a ‘chingu’ alongside them; fighters are usually the ones sent out on long and hard battles). Baekhyun, being the young fifteen year old he was, wants to become a fighter. Becoming a fighter would give you such a respected title and it would surely make his parents proud, but for Baekhyun, he wanted to become a fighter because he liked the thought of becoming one. He didn’t enroll in that course for fame or fortune, he just wanted to defend his land.

-

The brunette, now seventeen, has just newly enrolled (about three months now) for his third year at Oak Academy. Baekhyun is doing great in school, being the complete nerd he was. Though, he had one big problem.

“All right everyone! Are you ready?” Their teacher, known as Minseok, asks his class a little bit too enthusiastically. Minseok is the Beginner's Chingu Class teacher. He is quite bubbly and he likes to laugh, and is more like a friend than a teacher to his students. He's young and petite, and his passion is in teaching youngsters. His class was mostly composed of first years, those who are eager to look for their companion; second years, those who failed to find any during their first year; and there's only one third year in this class-- Byun Baekhyun.

Baekhyun, the most unpopular kid in school, doesn't have his own chingu. The rest of the people who were taking the fighter course in their third to fifth year all had one. Despite this fact, he doesn't feel discouraged at all. For this class, he was sure he armed himself with the right equipment and mindset. He figured that he can use a spell, which is the easiest thing to do; but if things get violent, he can always use the small brown net he brought along. Wearing a bright smile, he's determined to venture into the forest just outside the school to find his own chingu.

 

 


 

author’s note;

The Dictionary That Will Help You Understand Better

Terminology: 'Chingu' is a must for students like Baekhyun. Chingu aid the fighters during their battles; they are like a lifetime partner to most fighters (Though some are still treated like pets). There are many kinds of chingu, and the rarest one is an elf.  Byun Baekhyun has searched for a chingu his entire life. Having none at his junior year, he is considered utterly 'hopeless' at finding a chingu.