Chapter 6

Wishing You Were Here part 2 (Love Affair)

It has been some time since the two kites were up in the air. The sun, although was not at its highest, kept a constant high temperature in the setting. The two girls, both refused to give in, stood there in the field careful with their handiworks and kept the kite up high.

“I bet you’re hungry, why don’t you just give up and go eat something.” Tiffany slyly suggested with an intention everyone knew about.

“No, I’m fine.” Jessica responded. She then used the sleeve of her right arm to wipe the sweats that were visible on her forehead. “I can eat after I beat you.” She added with a smirk on her face, and took a glance at Tiffany.

On the side of the field sat two girls watching this so called kite competition.

“Yah, how long are they going to fly their kites?” Yuri asked and turned her head sideways to face Taeyeon, who was sitting down on the grass next to her.

“I don’t know.” Taeyeon responded but unlike Yuri, she kept her eyes on Tiffany. “If you don’t want to keep waiting like this, why don’t you go tell Jessica to give up?” She casually suggested.

“Psh. Never.”

Then once again the two “husbands” returned their undivided attention to their wives in the middle of the field with their kites. Suddenly, something caught Taeyeon’s eyes as she watched Tiffany stepping backwards.

“Tiffany, watch your step!” Taeyeon quickly screamed.

Unfortunately, her call was too late as Tiffany has already fallen down. Too drawn into what’s above her head, Tiffany did not pay attention to what was behind her – it was a hole in the ground. Worriedly, Taeyeon rushed to her wife; Yuri quickly followed.

“Fany ah!”

“I’m okay!” Tiffany yelled out. Her back and bottom are now flat on the ground. But surprisingly, her hand was still attached to the roll of string and the kite was still in the air.

Jessica looked over to see the fallen Tiffany on the ground then quickly burst into laughter. “Ddil Fany.” She remarked in between her laughter.

But to her dismay, a bird flew by and started to peck on the string to her kite. “Yah! What are you doing?! Fly away!” She yelled and wiggled the string back and forth hoping that it would somehow scare the bird away. Soon enough, the bird flew away… along with the kite. She gasped and stared at the kite as it quickly flew away.

Tiffany who was still on the ground found herself grinning. And within seconds, that grin grew into a loud laughter until her eyes disappeared. With one hand still holding on to the roll of string, her other hand switched between pointing her index finger at Jessica and slapping the field of grass.

The sight of Tiffany also caused Taeyeon to slowly laugh along. It was obvious that Yuri was holding in her laughter, but nonetheless, she walked over to Jessica with a calm face.

“Jessica…” She opened .

“No fair!” Jessica grumbled and stumbled on the ground. “You.” She looked at Yuri. “Come with me to get the kite.” She commanded without giving Yuri time to respond. She immediately grabbed Yuri’s hand and ran towards the direction the kite has flown towards.

“Jessica, slow down!”

“Hey, wait for us too!” Tiffany yelled then quickly rewound the string back to its roll. Within twenty to thirty seconds, she successfully reclaimed the kite from the air. “TaeTae ah, let’s follow them.”

“Okay.” Taeyeon nodded then together with Tiffany, ran towards the direction of Yuri and Jessica.

By the time Taeyeon and Tiffany could see Yuri and Jessica, they were standing under a tree.

“But Jessica, that branch is within someone’s backyard.” Yuri protested and pointed her finger upward.

The situation became clear to Taeyeon and Tiffany once they saw Jessica’s kite hanging on a branch of the tree they were standing under.

“Fine, if you don’t want to get it, I’ll do it.”

“Ughhh! Fine fine fine, I’ll get it.” Yuri, frustrated, gave into Jessica’s demand.

“Wait. I think this is Kim Ahjusshi’ house.” Taeyeon spoke. “He’s really scary, so be careful not to let him see you.” She warned.

“Thanks for the heads up.” Yuri sarcastically remarked as she has already climbed up on the tree. She shot a glare at Jessica and telepathically communicated with her. I can’t believe you made me do this. She rolled her eyes when Jessica said nothing in return and just pointed to the kite.

Slowly, Yuri sat down on a thick branch. Then inch by inch she scooted herself closer to kite as the three other girls watched her attentively. She was only inches away from the kite when her curiosity led her eyes downward. She gasped.

“Taeyeon ah… do you know if this Kim Ahjusshi has a dog?” Yuri asked, her voice trembling with fear.

“I don’t think so…”

“Well what is this thing right here?!” She yelled.

And soon enough barking sounds exploded. Yuri panicked when she saw a shadow but quickly reached for the kite.

“Hey! What are you doing up there?!” A man’s voice called out and surprised Yuri even more.

“Yuri, hurry up and climb down!” Jessica urged.

Yuri quickly scooted her way back to the center of the tree, then without second thoughts, she jumped off.

“Ya! Don’t you dare run away!” The man yelled again as the barking noises intensified.

“Run guys run!”

***

“Luckily, he didn’t actually chase us.” Yuri said in between breaths.

Thinking that they would get in trouble if caught, they ran as fast as they could away from the tree. All of them, exhausted, let go of their bodies and dropped to the ground of the field.

“This is all your fault.” Tiffany remarked, still breathing heavily like the other girls. “Because of that stupid kite_”

“Ya! It’s not just a stupid kite!” Jessica argued. “I made it.”

“Guys, guys. Chill out.” Yuri interrupted. “I mean, it was kind of fun, wasn’t it?”

“Fun? Running for your lives is fun?” Taeyeon sarcastically inquired.

“Don’t blame us because you’re short.” Jessica muttered under her breath.

“Yah! Don’t talk to her like that. You were the one got us in trouble.” Tiffany reacted and slightly pushed Jessica’s body away with her hand.

“You. Pushed me?”

“Yah yah, stop guys.” Yuri once again jumped in and held Jessica back before she was about to take charge on Tiffany.

“TaeTae, let’s go in. I don’t want to look at this person any longer.” Tiffany rolled her eyes and got up from the ground. Taeyeon didn’t really say anything and just followed Tiffany back in the house.

Jessica, too, rolled her eyes and looked towards the opposite direction of the house entrance. After the door closed, she turned around and looked at Yuri. “You’re mad at me too, aren’t you?” She asked.

“Um…no?” Yuri responded. “Why would I?”

Jessica only sighed and looked at her kite. “Why did that stupid bird peck the string of the kite! Stupid stupid stupid bird!” She grumbled.

“Jessica, what’s this?” Yuri asked and held the end of the string up.

Strangely, the part where the string was bitten by the bird was black.

Yuri brought the string closer to her nose and sniffed it. After sensing the smell that the string gave off, she raised the string in up to Jessica’s face, telling her to smell it.

After Jessica smelled the string, she knew exactly what the black stain on the string was and why the bird pecked the string.

“Was this that jajangmyun you had earlier?” Yuri asked?

“Um…uh…maybe?” Embarrassed, Jessica avoided Yuri’s eyes. After a long silence, Jessica initiated. “So what are we going to do now? Tiffany and Taeyeon are probably mad at us now.”

“You mean, you.”

“…”

“Um…let’s grab our stuff and go to my house. What do you say?” Yuri suggested while pushing Jessica towards the door.

Soon Yuri and Jessica made their way back into their room in the house. And as they exited the house, they ran into Taeyeon in the hallway.

“Where are you guys going?” She asked.

“I’m taking Jessica home. We’ll stay for the night and will be back tomorrow morning.” Yuri answered.

“Ok then.” Taeyeon lightly responded and saw Yuri and Jessica walked off. After hearing the sound of the door closing, she made her way back into her room, where Tiffany was.

“Who were you talking to outside?” Tiffany asked.

“Ah, Yuri said she is going back to her house with Jessica. She also said that they won’t be home tonight.” Taeyeon repeated. “That means…no one can bother us.”

Tiffany, lying on the bed, looked up and shifted her eyebrows. “You had your chances last night.” She said.

“No. I still have my chances.”

As just as Taeyeon was about to climb on the bed to lay down next to Tiffany, the door swung open as her foot was in midair.

“You girls, dinner’s ready.” Jiwoong peeked in. After seeing Taeyeon’s position, he gave them an awkward look before leaving the room.

Tiffany gave Taeyeon a slight grin then sat up from the bed and walked right passed her towards the door.

Taeyeon, feeling defeated, followed Tiffany and her brother out to the dining room. There she sat down next to Tiffany facing her mother and brother while her dad was sitting at the head of the table.

“Have a good meal everyone.” Taeyeon said.

***
“So how are your parents like?” Jessica asked. She and Yuri are now on a bus heading towards Yuri’s house.

“You’ll see.”

“You can’t do that. What if I say something wrong? Or do something wrong?” Jessica inquired again while shaking Yuri’s arm back and forth.

“Why, are you nervous?”

“No? Why would I be?” She denied and released Yuri’s arm.

“Because you’re about to meet your in-laws?” Yuri grinned.

“Who said they’re my in-laws?”

“Whatever.” She rolled her eyes.

“Hey, we’re getting off at this stop. Come on.” She announced then together with Jessica, they exited the bus.