Cold Water

Cold Water

It was three in the morning when Taemin  decided to get out of bed. He’s been trying to sleep for hours but something troubled him for no apparent reason. Slowly making his way out of the room, he sensed his way towards the kitchen to get a glass of water. He searched the wooden cabinets for a cup and filled it. While waiting, the sound it was making reminded him of you. You. So early in the morning and you were the first person he thought of. Come to think of it, you guys haven’t talked since last week. Normally, you’d be calling him by now or he’d be the one to go and visit you but it just slipped his mind. You slipped his mind. His eyes grew, but before he could think of anything else he felt cold water pierce his skin and he jerked his hand away, now aware of what he was doing before. I have to go check on her. After wiping off his hands from washing his cup, he went back to his room, changed into a hoodie and jeans and was about to walk out when he remembered something, it was now four in the morning. Who would be awake at this hour? I’d take some fresh air then.

Taemin closed the door as soft as possible. His hyungs are not aware of what he was doing so he’d better be quiet about it. He turned and walked towards the elevator, but he thought of using the stairs to pass the time. You should take the elevator, you don’t know what might happen if you use the stairs. Also, I know how much you hate the feeling of going down a spiral staircase. He followed what he thought you’d say and used the elevator instead. As the doors slid open, he saw an image of you. He had to blink twice and rub his eyes before concluding that he was still in his sleeping state. He entered the enclosed space and pressed G. While waiting, he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. Taking deep breaths, he thought of what you’d think when he arrives at your apartment so early in the morning. The sound of the elevator made him shake off the thoughts of you for now and he went off.

Pulling up the hoodie, he went out of the apartment. It was clearly cold, lucky he wore something warm. He walked around a bit and hummed some tunes. Since no one was looking, he even danced to what he was humming. Yah! Stop it! I don’t want you attracting more girls than you already are! He had to laugh at himself, even after knowing that no one was there, he thought of what you might say. Then the smile on his face slowly disappeared. Why was he thinking of you all the time? Yes, it’s natural to think of someone when you haven’t seen each other but this was different. The feeling he felt earlier started to come back. The deep, unexplainable feeling was coming back.

Before he knew it, the skies started to lighten. His pace was fast and his hands were starting to get sweaty. Images of you started to appear before him again. What the hell is happening to me?! Walking turned to jogging, jogging then turned to running. That heavy feeling in his heart grew as seconds passed. Tsk, run faster Taemin! What was supposed to be a leisurely walk turned to an agonizing race to your apartment.

Your building doesn’t particularly stand out amongst the others but Taemin knew where to go. He reached the apartment just as the skies became evidently blue. He entered and went straight to the elevator. What the hell? After pressing the arrow going up for who knows how long, he sighed and ran up the stairs, skipping two steps at a time. You were on the eighth floor, and even after knowing that, he still continued. When Taemin reached your floor he flung the fire exit open and ran. When the numbers that he knew so well finally decided to show up, he knocked on your door fervently.

He was trying to catch his breath, his chest heaving up and down slowly while both hands were on his knees, making him bend over. Why isn’t anyone answering? Taemin knocked on your door again, still no answer. Aish! This girl… Taemin fished out his phone and tried calling you but no one was answering the other end. “ Yah! Yeobo, open the door! It’s me! ” He was about to knock again when he heard a click. The door opened slowly, revealing a petite figure underneath a huge t-shirt.

Silence fell between the two of you. With you being woken up from a lovely sleep not caring about your bed hair and him, his hoodie drenched from sweat. Being yourself, you stared at him sleepily and went back inside. He was still processing what he’d say when he followed you in. When you were about to turn to your room he hugged you from behind. This gesture woke you instantly. You knew Taemin wouldn’t do something like this if something wasn’t wrong. He wouldn’t do this knowing that he was all sweaty and what not. " Hey, what’s wro- " You felt Taemin hold you closer. You decided to stay quiet and both of you stayed that way for a good three minutes. When you felt his grip on you loosen, you faced him. You looked him in the eyes and slowly both your hands reached up to his cheeks and he held on to them. " I’m sorry. I was so busy with all the practices that I forgot about you. I guess by doing that my subconscious didn’t allow me to sleep. I didn’t know what was happening until your image appeared before me this morning so I got worried and- " You’ve heard enough. You shushed him and told him to wait there. You entered your room and came back with a dry towel. You held on Taemin’s hand and walked to the couch. Sitting down, you tapped the seat beside you for him to follow suit. He did and you made him lay on your lap. He disagreed at first but your smile convinced him. When he finally gave in, you wiped the remaining sweat from his forehead and hummed a little. " I’m still here aren’t I? So you don’t have to worry. " A smile slowly found its way on Taemin’s face. He sighed in content and closed his eyes.

I love you.
I love you too.