Chapter 6

The Heartbeat That Never Stop

5.05AM

The two of them sit by the bench quietly, as they watch the sunrise peacefully. There was nothing more important than spending time alone with each other right now, especially when he knows this is going to be the last. She tilted her head a little before it reaches his shoulder, she remembered he used to be so built and strong, but now, he’s just like a fragile skinny man and it pains her.

“Cole, do you believe in afterlife?” He asked, as he patted on her head.

Nicole shook her head, “I’ve never thought about that. To me, the most important thing is the present and the future, with you.”

Dongwoon could feel her shaky voice, especially when she emphasize on the last two words. He wanted so much to tell her that she have to be okay even if he’s not by her side, she have to be strong, she have to be alright, but he knew she wouldn’t take it.

So instead he fidgeted a little and Nicole look up from the movement, he smile and he lowered his head to her level and kissed her lips softly, “Happy third anniversary, angel. Sorry I couldn’t get you anything this time.”

She smiles as she held his skinny face in her palm and rubbed her nose against his, “Then you owe me one Son Nam Shin, next year you have to compensate me with a huge diamond ring!”

-

1.15PM

It was about time.

Nicole sat down beside Dongwoon’s bedside as he was being checked by the Doctors and nurses to make sure he was fine before the operation starts. Her palm was wet; she was nervous, anxious and afraid. Dongwoon squeeze her hand a little and gave her a small smile, and she returned it forcibly.

It started drizzling and Dongwoon seems to be more relaxed when he heard the raindrop tickles the window, he was almost thankful that he will be gone in his favorite weather.

“Everything’s fine. Claire, we may proceed to the operation room now.” The Doctor said, looking up from his thick file of document before he instructed the nurse.

He went to Dongwoon’s side and said softly, “In about 10 minutes, the operation will start. If you would like to change your mind-”

“That’s my final decision.” Dongwoon smiled and nodded firmly, before turning back to Nicole and messes up her hair a little to , he always loved doing that when she was vex enough already.

The Doctor stood back a little and watches the two of them teasing one another at this time, he watches Dongwoon’s never-fading smile and Nicole’s innocent pout, no one could have guess that the two of them are actually facing something like this.

-

1.20PM

She wasn’t okay, at all. She cried the whole night again yesterday. In these two months the days she hadn’t cry sums up to about 8, while all the other days, her tears never stop accompanying her to sleep. In her whole life, there’s only Son Dongwoon and she isn’t going to ask for more because to her, he’s everything. How could she be okay to go through this risk of probably losing her everything, losing her world?

She has a bad feeling about this, and she hated herself for feeling that. But somehow, she just feels that something isn’t right, he wasn’t behaving quite himself. As much as he keeps telling her how optimistic he is about this, sometimes the way he behaves seems to be the otherwise, as if he was prepared that today was going to be his last, and she abhor that.

1.23PM

Dongwoon was on the way to be pushed into the operation room, and her hands never left his. She held onto him tight as two of the nurse pushes the bed on the other side.

“Dongwoon, I will wait for you.” Nicole said, she did not cry, she doesn’t want him to think that she do not have confidence in it, “I will wait for you to come out later, I will be right here outside.”

Dongwoon smiled, as he nodded slowly.

“Nicole, I…”

“Miss, we’re about to enter the room and you can’t come in. We’re sorry.” One of the nurses informed and Nicole bit her lower lips and shook her head slightly, not willingly to let go.

“One more minute, please.” Dongwoon said, almost begging the nurses before they nodded and stood at one side. Nicole couldn’t control her tears anymore and she rushes forward to give Dongwoon another hug.

“Dongwoon, please don’t leave me behind, please, Dongwoon ah…”

He patted her back softly, and whispered, “Nicole, I promise. After the operation, I’m still going to be with you, I promise.”

Nicole lifted her head up and looks at her boyfriend’s firm expression; she wiped away her tears and nodded, “Promise.”

“I love you, Nicole Jung.”

Then the bed was wheeled into the operation room, as their tightly intertwined hands were force to let go of each other, the next thing Nicole sees, Dongwoon was already not in front of her, and the operation light was on.