Your absence burns my sense

Your absence burns my sense

 

 

Byunghun kept running. He kept running because if he didn’t he would die. He was chasing after his life. His life, Changhyun, who was running away from him and he didn’t know why. Changhyun didn’t give a reason. He didn’t say goodbye. 

Changhyun was meters ahead of him, looking back and sticking out his tongue. Changhyun was meters behind him, giggling. Changhyun was in his right side, smiling. Changhyun was in his left side, laughing. But Changhyun kept running away from him, and Byunghun kept trying to run faster. Byunghun kept yelling for his lover to stop, saying that they would work it out somehow. That it wasn’t over. That he loved him.

The younger one looked back. He was now in his right side. He was now in his left side. No matter where he chose to stand, he was smiling along with a sad look on his eyes.

And then he just disappeared. He wasn’t ahead or behind of Byunghun. He wasn’t in his left or his right side. He wasn’t there at all and everything became darker out of a sudden.

“No…” Byunghun murmured more for himself than for the other to hear, looking in all directions. But he couldn’t possibly find the boy.

Changhyun had left him, for some reason. What did Byunghun do wrong? Everything he ever did was telling Changhyun he loved him. And the boy had promised him forever. To be always together. To grow older together. Why didn’t he keep his promise?

“Byunghun,” he heard. But it wasn’t the voice he wanted to hear. His name didn’t sound beautiful leaving whoever lip’s those were. His name sounded pitiful instead. “Byunghun, wake up.”

Byunghun opened his eyes. It was Chanhee the one waking him up, looking at him with a worried look on his face.

“Where’s Changhyun?” was the first thing he asked.

Chanhee’s look became sad. The same thing once again.

“Byunghun, stop it already,” he said, holding back his tears. He couldn’t stand to see his friend like that. Two months had passed and his condition only got worse as the days went by. “Changhyun is not here, you know it.”

“Where is he?” he asked again. “Is he visiting his parents? Did he go on a trip? Why didn’t he say goodbye? Why hasn’t he called?”

“Byunghun, Changhyun is dead. He died two months ago in a car accident, don’t you remember?”

Byunghun looked at him as if Chanhee was telling him the worst joke ever. But then he remembered. Then his world fell apart again. He cried. He yelled. He cursed and broke things. Changhyun wasn’t there.

“Are you feeling better?” Chanhee asked that morning, walking into Byunghun’s room realizing he was already awake as his eyes met.

“Where is Changhyun?”