Yongguk: Chapter 21

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

After two weeks of hearing nothing from him, the loneliness that had been building up inside of you turns into frustration. You snap at him thoughtlessly, "I called Himchan because I was getting seriously worried, and he told me that you were back. Why didn't you take your phone?"

Yongguk flinches at your sharp tone, making you regret your outburst. He replies, “I didn’t want anyone to worry about me unnecessarily.”

“That doesn’t even make sense,” you retort, softening your voice. “If you don’t want people to worry, you’d tell them what’s going on so that they don’t need to think about this and that, and about all the bad things that could be happening.”

“No. I couldn’t do that. I … if something happened … “ he trails off and quietly whispers, “I didn’t want to be reminded of what would happen back home. Whatever I said. Whether it’s good or bad. You would have worried, wouldn’t you? I didn’t want to burden you with that.”

You shake your head as your heart slowly cracks underneath the painful pressure of his words. “You’re not a burden, Yongguk.”

“Really?” He says, but there’s a bitter, underlying suggestion in his voice. He shakes his head and glances at Himchan, who has been silently standing there this whole time, keeping his distance from both you and Yongguk. “You alright?”

“Huh?” Himchan returns to reality. He tries to smile, but he struggles with the action. Yongguk notices this, and his eyes sadden. “I’m alright, you guys just go on … doing what you do. You know. Talking.”

“Himchan,” Yongguk says, catching Himchan’s undivided attention.

“What’s up?”

“Listen. I need to tell you something. And don’t assume anything or think anything weird. I just need to say this, alright?” Yongguk asks. Himchan slowly nods, and Yongguk continues, “Whatever you do … whatever any of you guys do,” he corrects, meeting your gaze, “Don’t think about me. I want you guys to be happy when I’m gone.”

You can hear the tremor in his voice, and you mutter, “Did something happen?”

“What? No,” Yongguk says, waving your concerns away. “I’m alright. Didn’t I just say that? I’m fine. So do whatever you guys were doing, hugging, or being friends, or talking. Just do things that make you happy, okay?” He moves his lips, the sight too forlorn and too empty to even be called a smile. “Even if it doesn’t include me.”

Himchan looks on in concern and says, “Yongguk, if I can – “

“I’m going home,” Yongguk interrupts. He risks a glance at you before he lifts the hood over his already fading purple hair. Seeing that once vibrant purple turn into a bleaker gray makes you sad. It’s as if it’s representing his dwindling life, and you don’t appreciate being able to see a display of his life span, even if it’s not accurate. Yongguk walks past Himchan, their shoulders bumping, and turns around the nearest corner. Himchan stares at him before he looks at you in guilt, as if he’s responsible for Yongguk’s distant mood.

“He doesn’t usually do that,” Himchan informs you, pointing a thumb to where Yongguk has disappeared. “He usually – “

“I’m going after him,” you resolve and start to chase after Yongguk.

“Wait, you can’t do that,” Himchan steps forward and stops you. You tap your foot impatiently as he says, “He doesn’t want to –

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter