SECOND INCH

Three Inches of Sunlight

Hooray for the update! *throws confetti*
*gets angry glares from readers* A-Alright... I know I've been a bad author!! I've my reasons!! *puts hands up in defense*
Some health problems again, huhu :'<, but I finally was able to update! :D
I never realized how hard it was to write about Yoona... No offense to her! I just am not familiar with her enough, so I feel like sometimes I'm just writing about her in the same way... A superficial way, that is.. :'<
This chapter was hard to write, I believe... Next chapter will finally be what I've been waiting for keke XD

Well, I'll stop the talking! Enjoy the clicheness and sadness oh yeaaaaaaaaah! :D *gets glares* I mean, enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy!! :D

Tinywings


 



And who are you, who dared to step on this forbidden ground?

Kyuhyun’s eyes were filled with utmost seriousness as he spoke his line, his posture showing nothing but confidence. Yoona took a small step forward, her eyes lingering on the man in front of her before it moved to the audience.

I’m not here to harm you. Please believe me.

And why exactly,” He pointed the sword dangerously to as he spoke, “should I believe in your words?

Because,” She grinned slightly at the sight of the sword, before speaking, “you’ve nobody else to trust. Rumors are already spreading, and I wonder if you could afford another defeat right now. I’ve been send to help you win, for you shall lose without my aid.

Who send you?” He asked suspiciously, though he lowered his sword a little.

That, I can’t tell, but you’ll have to believe me.” She answered calmly.

How can I make sure I can believe you?

A confident smirk lingered on her lips as she stepped forward, deliberately touching the sword with the skin of her neck.

You’ve no other choice, I’m afraid.

-

“You did an excellent job, my dear Yoona-ah.”

Kyuhyun said as he hugged his girlfriend tight, who chuckled in response.

“And so were you.”

After weeks, months of practicing and rehearsals, the musical was finally over. Yoona had enjoyed every minute of standing on the stage, for every second was an unforgettable experience. Though she was not one to be throwing herself into the world of acting and musicals, she did find the opportunities she got meaningful. On top of that, to be able to have stood on the stage side by side with Kyuhyun was a precious memory on its own.

“Let’s go celebrate, shall we?”

Yoona nodded eagerly. “Where shall we go?”

“Hmm,” Kyuhyun thought for a moment, a somewhat childish expression shown on his face, “let’s see…”

Yoona watched amusedly how her boyfriend tried hard to think about something to do, and a smile unconsciously formed on her lips the moment his face lit up.

“I know where!”

“Where?” Yoona asked curiously.

“Secret.”

He smiled cheekily before pulling her with him. Yoona was not going to deny it. No, never. She would never dare to say that Kyuhyun’s presence in her life meant anything less than irreplaceably important. The moment she had stepped into his world, and he into hers, it had changed something. Something Yoona would never want to change back. It changed every bit of her life, it had brightened it up, and had left her forever hungry for Kyuhyun’s presence.

“Kyuhyun-ah…” His name slipped out of before she could even stop herself.

“Hmm?” He was looking in front of him as they both ran through the streets, and she was sure that it was a silly sight to see.

“I love you.”

Her heart fluttered while she spoke those words. Those three words by far did not, could not convey all the feelings she had for Kyuhyun. However, it was the only sentence that was closest to what she was feeling. It was the closest to the amount of love she possessed for the young, handsome male in front of her. Kyuhyun instantly stopped running, and when he turned his head around to meet Yoona’s eyes, she could see the happiness swimming in his eyes. She could see it, she could sense it. It was sincere, mutual, and all the other blissful, innocent feelings.

“I love you too, Yoona-ah.”

“How much?” Yoona bit her lip expectantly.

“Love can’t be measured… But,” Kyuhyun’s eyes lingered around, before locking with hers again, “Im Yoona, when I tell you I love you, I’m sincere. When I tell you my love for you is infinite, I’m speaking the truth. When I’m saying that at this moment, all my eyes can see is you, I’m stating the facts.”

Enough. That was more than enough. Yoona could not ask for a better answer. Or rather, whatever Kyuhyun would say, she would embrace it wholeheartedly. Since it was Kyuhyun who spoke and since it was Kyuhyun she loved. So it did not even matter what he said in the first place, for she would have loved it endlessly nevertheless. However, he had not disappointed her with his answer.

He never did.

“And how much do you love me, Yoona-ah?” Kyuhyun asked with an amused grin.

“How much do you want me to love you?” Yoona answered playfully.

“Endless love would be great.” Kyuhyun said with a shrug, before touching her cheek softly.

“Well,” Yoona moved her face up to his and kissed him quickly on the lips, “my love may not be infinite, but it’s very close to it.”

Kyuhyun shook his head with a defeated smirk. Yoona chuckled at the sight.

“That’s more than enough to me.”

He said before crushing his lips onto hers.

-

“Do you think we’ll be able to see stars here?”

Yoona asked as she leaned her head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder, while the both of them had their eyes fixed on the clear sky above them.

“Chances are small, but who knows, maybe we’re lucky.” Kyuhyun responded before eating some of Yoona’s ice cream.

“Yah! Don’t steal mine! You’ve got your own!” Yoona pouted childishly as she quickly straightened up.

“You know how they say other people’s food always look more delicious.” Kyuhyun grinned.

“Yours don’t look delicious at all, though.” Yoona said while eyeing his chocolate ice cream.

Kyuhyun feigned hurt. “Aish, that hurts.”

“Want me to call a doctor for you?” Yoona asked playfully, earning a grin from the other.

“No, no need to.” He said while moving his head closer to her ice cream. “I think the medicine I need is just in your hands.” And before Yoona could even do anything, he had already eaten from her ice cream again.

“Yah!” She hit him harshly on his shoulder. “I told you not to eat mine!”

His eyes showed childish happiness as a carefree smile crept on his lips. “Delicious.”

Kyuhyun did it all on purpose, of course. He knew very well Yoona actually liked the little teasing, and he also knew that Yoona would never really be angry at him. And he? He enjoyed every single second being with this beautiful young woman that was his girlfriend. The warm gaze he was wearing right now as he watched her was a sight of him only Yoona was able to see. He knew that, and she knew that.

“I’ll permit you to eat some of my ice cream.” He said while holding his ice cone in front of her.

“Don’t want to. Yours doesn’t look delicious at all.”

“Eh?” Kyuhyun blinked his eyes a few times. “How could you say that? My ice cream is really, really delicious! The taste is amazing!”

Yoona looked him in the eyes, before grinning. “I don’t believe you.”

“I’m really hurt to know that you don’t believe your own boyfriend’s words…” He said while looking away, trying to stop himself from laughing.

“Yah, I’m just joking.” Yoona shook his shoulder lightly, innocently thinking he was really angry at her. “Are you angry?”

He shook her hand away, refusing to look at her.

“Yah, Kyuhyun-ah…” She held onto his arm tightly. “Kyuhyun-ah, I’m sorry…”

Kyuhyun grinned before swiftly turning around, deliberately holding his ice cream between the two.

“Then taste it.” He urged Yoona.

She laughed. “You’re such a child.”

She looked at him before taking a bit from his ice cream. Very sweet. The flavor was very sweet, but it was a taste she did not mind tasting. Certainly not, for she knew the reason for the overly sweetness of the ice cream was not only because of its flavor.

“And, isn’t it tasty?”

“You’re right,” Yoona smiled brilliantly as she spoke, “other people’s food always tastes better.”

“Really?”

“Though it still doesn’t look delicious at all.”  She said before running away playfully.

“Yah! Come back here!”

All one could hear, when passing the park, were two loud, carefree voices. All one could see, when looking at the two people running around like little children, was an innocent couple enjoying the best time of their lives so far.

Quite saddening, it would be, if one were to tell them that their time together would be way too little.


---


“Hello, miss, how can I help you?”

The employee asked the moment Yoona stepped inside the shop. Yoona smiled gently.

“My wedding dress needed some adjustments, and your coworker told me that I should make another appointment for it.”

“Ah, alright,” She quickly scrolled through the data on the computer, “Miss Im Yoona, right? Please take a seat in the waiting room.”

Yoona gave the young woman a small nod before walking to one of the empty seats. Her eyes wandered around the place, before it landed on the magazine on the small table next to her. Of course it was not surprising that it was a magazine about wedding dresses, but what caught her eyes was the sentence printed boldly on the front page.

The best moment of your life

Getting married with Changmin was something she had never expected to happen. No, meeting a man like Changmin was something she never thought would happen. She had not expected herself to feel so blissfully happy, to receive so much love from her lover. In all honesty, she had not dare to think that her life would make such a big turn, all because of one person.

She was so caught up in her own thoughts, that it took her moments before she realized someone was standing in front of her.

“Hello, miss.” The woman waved her hand in front of Yoona. “Hello?”

“Eh?” Yoona flickered her eyes in surprise, before bowing slightly in embarrassment. “Ah, sorry.”

The employee smiled. “No problem. My name is Victoria. My coworker doesn’t work on Tuesdays, so I’m here to help you today. Nice to meet you.”

Victoria said with a bright smile. Yoona shook her head as they shook hands.

“A-Ah, no problem. Thank you.”

“Your wedding dress is ready for you to try it on, and it should be just right this time. Please, follow me.”

Yoona followed the other as they walked through the shop to the fitting rooms. Victoria moved the curtain to the side, gesturing Yoona to step inside.

“Take your time. If you need help, I’ll be just outside.”

Yoona nodded thankfully. Victoria closed the curtain for her, giving her the opportunity to examine her wedding dress in peace. All the corrections had been done flawlessly, and the dress still looked breathtakingly beautiful. Her fingertips slowly touched the dress, lingering on the place where she had asked for a flower. A smile appeared on her lips as she thought about it, the image in her mind already enough to make her happy.   

Black magic roses.

On the day of the wedding, it would be accompanying her. The rose that held significant meaning to her, would be just by her side on her most important day. When she marries the love of her life, the flower she adored so much would be attached onto her beloved wedding dress.

-

“Miss, my coworker told me that you wanted a black magic rose on your wedding dress. I’ve found these pictures, so maybe you could look at them and tell us whether they’re what you’re looking for.”

The brightly looking woman said after the wedding dress fitting. The dress now fitted perfectly, and Yoona was more than happy with that. Now she only had to find the perfect rose to perfect her wedding dress.

“Ah, really? Thank you.”

“No problem.” Victoria said as she neatly put the pictures down on the table. “Here you go.”

The employee took place beside her as Yoona eagerly looked at the pictures.

“I never knew this kind of roses existed, but they are beautiful. I’m lucky my husband told me about it, or else I would have just assumed that they are just like normal roses.”

“Oh, you’ve a husband?” Yoona looked up curiously. “You look so young.”

Victoria laughed. “And so do you. However, yes, I’ve been happily married for three years already. I even have a child already.”

“Really?” Yoona eyes glistered. “You look too beautiful to be a mother already!”

“Ah,” The employee touched her cheeks, “I haven’t been complimented for a while, so it feels nice to get a compliment from such a beautiful young lady.”

“You’re really pleasant to talk to.” Yoona said sincerely.

“Well, thank you! Married woman with children like me like to talk nonstop, so I’m already grateful that you don’t find me annoying. If I wasn’t working, I’d be your stereotypical housewife!”

The both of them burst out laughing at this. Yoona was not going to deny it. She was a very pleasant person to be around with.

“And, can you find it?” Victoria asked.

“Ah…” Yoona quickly looked around before pointing to the large picture of the black magic rose she wanted. “This one!”

“Oh! My husband had also chosen that one when I asked him which one was the best. I may have to listen more to him from now on.” Victoria said cheerfully while picking up the picture.

“Your husband has excellent taste.” Yoona remarked playfully.

“Oh, you sure like to give compliments, don’t you? If he were to know such a pretty lady complimented him, he’ll brag about it nonstop.” The cheerful employee chuckled. “He’s like a child, really.”

Yoona wondered if she would turn like her after she married. Would she have such a happy marriage life as this employee? She wished with all her heart that she would. Together with Changmin and a child of their own, they would create an own happy family, she believed.

“Will you be the one who’ll accompany me on my wedding day?” Yoona asked, hoping the employee would be the one who would attach the rose on her dress and help her with all the preparations.

“Ah, you asked for service on your wedding day, right? Hmm, as far as I know, nobody has been appointed yet for your wedding day. Would you like my coworker to help you that day? She may be new, but she’s very professional.”

“N-No… If… If it’s possible,” Yoona said nervously, “I’d like to have you help me that day.”

“Me?” Victoria’s eyes widened in surprise. “Are you sure?”

“Y-Yes, I like you, so if you’d be able to help me, I’d really appreciate that.”

Victoria nodded her head frantically. “Of course, no problem! It would be my pleasure!”


---


Two months. There are only two months left before graduation. They were all rushing to finish their remaining work as good as they can, to prepare for the exams as best as they can, to enjoy the remaining time of high school as much as they can. Yoona, too, could feel the time ticking, urging her to enjoy her last high school days. Time had passed so quickly, and their last year was already nearing its end. She was only weeks removed from her last exams, and then, if everything goes well, she will graduate.

Reaching ends was never something she enjoyed.

There were a lot of things she would miss once she graduated. She would miss the familiar classrooms she had been getting lessons in for all these years. She would miss her friends and classmates she had been spending years of youth with. She would miss the ups and downs she had experienced here, and the memories that lingered in the whole school. She would miss the warmth, the comfort she had gotten here.

However, most importantly, she would miss spending time with Kyuhyun here.

Yoona knew Kyuhyun was going to go to another university than she was. Though both in Seoul, it still would be different than their current situation. She was not that childish at heart to feel angry at how things will eventually turn into, but she also was not mature enough to accept it all with an open heart. She still felt sad, and she still wished things could have lasted longer.

“Yoona-ah.”

She did not have to look up to know who it was. His voice was already deep integrated in her mind, her memory, and she was able to recognize it the moment she heard it.

“Kyuhyun-ah.” She whispered softly, though Kyuhyun could still hear it.

“Why is my lovely Yoona looking so sad?” He said as he took place beside her on the grass.

“I’m only a little sad because of the thought of graduation.” She said, her head leaning against his shoulder.

“Shouldn’t graduation be bringing smiles upon our faces? What’s there to be sad about, Yoona-ah?”

Yoona shrugged her shoulder, her hand unconsciously interlocked with his.  “I don’t know… I think I’m just feeling a little melancholic about things.”

Kyuhyun moved his hand through her hair, patting her softly in the process. Yoona liked the gesture, for it soothed her heart. It calmed her down.

“Yoona-ah… A person should never look back at things with sadness. Not when was pleasurable as long as it lasted. We should not shed tears because it’s over,” He hugged her tightly as he spoke, “we should be smiling because it happened.”

 “I know…” Yoona closed her eyes, enjoying the moment, “I know…”

Kyuhyun glanced at Yoona, before looking up to the sky. Kyuhyun was different than Yoona, in that while Yoona’s fragile heart still mourned over what had passed, Kyuhyun’s heart was always determined to show the future a better him. It was what made Yoona precious, he believed, and what complemented the two of them. He would help her to focus on the future, while she would remind him occasionally about what had happened once.

“Yoona-ah… I’ve something to tell you.”

He put his head above hers, and leaned down to hold her tighter. It was time to tell her, he knew.

“What is it?”

“I…After graduation, I think I’m going to study abroad.”

Yoona’s heart fell. All of a sudden, it felt as if she lost everything. Just at that moment, it felt as if everything she had been holding onto was vanishing out of her tight grasp. It was too sudden, too out of the blue for her to progress it calmly. She was never the calm person like Kyuhyun, by far not. Emotions would block her rationality, and all she could do was getting caught up in her feelings. Unsettling feelings, that is.

“W-What…? What a-are you s-saying?” Yoona stuttered anxiously, and Kyuhyun could feel her trembling in his arms.

“I thought about it for a long time, and it’s a great opportunity…”

Yoona shook her head frantically. Normally, she would have smiled and told Kyuhyun to do his best. Normally, she would have encouraged him. Normally, if only she was not already feeling scared of losing things she cherished a lot.

Normally, if only Cho Kyuhyun was not her boyfriend.

“H-How… How about m-me?” She choked in her tears as she spoke.

“I never told you I’d be breaking up with you. I’d never ever once thought about ending anything with you, Yoona-ah…” He held onto her as if his life depended on it. “I… My parents are telling me it’s a great opportunity, and I used to see it as my goal. However, ever since you stepped into my life… My heart has started to waver, started to hesitate. I don’t want to let you feel as if I’m letting you all on your own… I… If it really pains you so much, I’ll rethink it. However, I believe we can work this out, Yoona-ah… I believe we can.”

She was crying. He was crying. She knew he wanted it. He knew it crushed her heart. She knew she would support him in the end. He knew she was way too selfless to hold onto him.

They both knew, and maybe that was what hurt the most.

“I don’t want you to go…” Yoona said, breaking the awful silence.

“I know…”

It was painful to Kyuhyun, too. It was not like he liked it. It was not as if he did not care about Yoona’s feelings. It certainly was not.

“I don’t want to hold you back…” She continued, and Kyuhyun almost could not hear it because she was sobbing so painfully loud at the moment.

“I know…” He desperately kissed her cheek. “I know, Yoona-ah…”

“It’s time for me to grow up, isn’t it?”

Kyuhyun had thought about it for so long already. He had asked himself the question multiple times. Did he want Yoona to grow up, to mature, in such a way? For as long as they are together, he had tried his best to embrace her, to protect her from everything. It was not a matter of time, for from the start, he had given everything he had to do so. However, did he prevent Yoona from opportunities to grow up that way?  He loved his Yoona just the way she was, naïve and innocent. He wanted her to stay like that for a lifetime. It was what made her Yoona, his beloved girlfriend.

However, right now, he wandered if by doing so, would he be doing right or wrong? Would he be cruel, for letting her on her own after all the shielding? All the protecting? He did not know. He really did not know. For once, Cho Kyuhyun really did not have a clue about whether he was doing something good or wrong. And the insecurity he was feeling made it all the worse.

“Kyuhyun-ah…”

“Hmm?”

“You believe we can work this out, right?”

“O-Of course,” He said soothingly, “of course, Yoona-ah…”

Tears were dripping down from her face as she slowly moved her hand above her head, slightly open. She tried to smile, even though it was not easy for she was still crying.

“Kyuhyun-ah…”

“Yes?”

“I want to make my second wish today…”