FIRST INCH

Three Inches of Sunlight

Hello everyone!
First of all, thank you for everyone who has subscribed to this story, left wonderful comments, or decided to click onto this story. Unnie, it seems your present is really liked :p.

First of all, I want to say some things before you'll read the chapter, so PLEASE READ THIS :D (I know some of you will still skip it haha, it's okay :)). I know I may have said this is a changyoon story, but it will also be a kyuna story :). So about the ending... I don't want to say anything yet, but you can always predict :). And thank you for all the people who liked my author's note, and also the meaning behind this story :D.  THIS STORY WILL HAVE SIX CHAPTERS! DIVIDED INTO THREE INCHES AND THREE WISHES! I thought about it for a long time, and this felt the best :)

Also, some of you may have read my desperate blog post, in which I said romance is just not my thing. I've got a lot of advice, and I thank them all for it. This chapter took me really long to write... (Honestly, I began before I even posted this story on AFF... XD) but it was hard, really, to write something that's mainly focused on romance. Also, for those who may catch me eventually, I realized I was not correct when I said I never wrote without an OC before, but let's consider that an exception, since someone really wanted me to write it :) (Reference to blinded vision, boyxboy fanfiction).

For this story, I listened to many songs, and thought about many things. I won't bother you with it, but in the end, as always like my other stories, I'll briefly tell you about the chapter :) For now, enjoy! And please don't be too disappointed, since I'm not kidding when I don't know how to write about romance... ONCE AGAIN, enjoy! :D 


P.S. No changyoon this chapter, sorry! 

 


  

“Yoona, did you hear what they planned?!”

Yoona looked up from her study book to meet a pair of overly excited eyes. A smile made its way on her lips upon realizing that it was Yuri.

“What did they plan?”

She asked while slowly closing her book, laying it down beside her. Yuri was wearing such a bright smile, that Yoona could not help but feel slightly excited.

“The school festival! They want our year to perform a play!”

Even though Yoona was not especially enthusiastic about a play, she still wore her trademark smile. It was never about the end product when it came to things like these; it was the fun when everyone practiced together that made it so memorable. On top of that, Im Yoona liked standing on the stage, so it was a pleasant announcement.  Yet, just now, it seemed she had expected something… Something more than a mere announcement of their upcoming school festival…

“Yah, Yoong, you alright?”

Yuri asked while waving her hand in front of Yoona’s eyes, shocking the latter for a moment.

“Y-yes, I’m alright.”

Yuri nodded as she took place beside Yoona.

“You know, I never realized that our last year would be so quick. I mean, it’s hasn’t even been a month already since the new school year started, and we’re already planning for our last school festival.”

The two young girls both sighed as they watched the other students play on the field. A slight breeze washed over them as they sat there, trying to grave every little detail in their memories.

“Yoong… Won’t you miss our carefree days sitting next to each other, watching boys?”

A small smile made its way on Yoona’s lips as her eyes wandered around their small campus. The chattering sounded so pleasant at the moment, and the overly familiar building all so sentimental. How much longer where they going to be able to enjoy this place, before they had to leave? A wave of melancholia washed over her as she thought about it.

“I certainly will.”

-

Yoona walked around the campus. She did not have any classes anymore today, but she wanted to wait for Yuri. Her eyes scanned the whole campus, before it landed on the figure lying in the grass under the big oak, a landmark of their campus. Curiosity took over her as she slowly approached the unfamiliar person, who did not seem to notice anything that happened around him. It was only when Yoona stood in front of him, that he acknowledged her presence.

“Hello there.”

His voice was so clear, so soothing, that it momentarily mesmerized Yoona. He moved his body up into a sitting position, before looking at Yoona with gentle eyes.

“Enjoying the nice weather?”

Her voice had betrayed her, and refused to come out. All she could do was giving him a small nod, which he fortunately interpreted the good way.

“Autumn has already arrived, yet summer still permits us to enjoy the last beams of sunlight.”

Yoona followed his gaze and watched the scenery in front of them. Truthfully, Yoona did not quite understand what was particularly beautiful when it came to these things, but right then, she certainly did not mind acting as if she did. It even seemed like she enjoyed it more than normally. She took a glance of the boy next to her.

Because of his presence.

“Isn’t it beautiful?”

Yoona’s eyes wandered back in front of her, scanning the place carefully.

“In its own way, it is...” Her voice was slightly shaky, showing her nervousness.

“I’ve been looking at it for a long time now, and it’s intriguing, truly intriguing how the sky changes so painfully slow, yet the changes so vividly seen.”

Kyuhyun’s speaking manner was so exceptional, outstanding, and Yoona was attracted to it. Like honey, she was attracted to it as if she were a little bumblebee.

“You seem… You seem to enjoy it a lot.”

“Enjoy may not be the right word.” Kyuhyun eyed her. “I would rather call it appreciate.”

Yoona felt warm inside. Kyuhyun’s attitude puzzled her, but at the same time, grabbed all her attention. She would even say that she had never made someone like him before, but that may not be completely true. Instead, it seemed like something else about him had caused her to be so mesmerized, but she still had to find out what it was.

“I don’t know your name.” Yoona spoke after a long time of silence.

“I don’t know yours either.” He said with a playful grin.

Something had been triggered inside of her because of his grin, something certainly had, but again she was not about to realize what it was precisely. No need to either, since all she wanted to know right now, was his name.

“My name is Im Yoona.”

She said while looking at him, expectancy clearly visible in her eyes. A warm smile appeared on his lips as he spoke.

“Cho Kyuhyun.”

-

Cho Kyuhyun.

Ever since that day, it was as if it was her life mission to get to know more about him. She would occasionally look around when she had time to, or walk around the campus. It was not hard to get pieces of information of Cho Kyuhyun, since school was a place where nothing stayed a secret.

She got to know that Cho Kyuhyun was in the same year as she – she just never got the chance to speak to him. She got to know that Cho Kyuhyun was actually friends with Yuri – she just never bothered asking Yuri about her social network. She got to know that Cho Kyuhyun was exceptionally smart – she just never paid any attention when the best grades were announced. Many more information was she able to obtain, partially thanks to Yuri.

But amongst the information, and the infrequent opportunities to see him in real person, she never got the chance to speak to him again. She admitted that she was eager to speak to him again, even though she did not quite know why. It was as if something about him intrigued her. As if something about him, so mysterious, had lured her heart and mind to focus only on him, and him only.

Of course their paths were bound to cross a second time.

It was announced that Yoona would play the female lead role of the play for their year, while the male lead role would be no other than Cho Kyuhyun. Was Yoona happy? That would be a great understatement, since her heart was about to explode of joy. It was an opportunity she would be forever thankful for.

It would be the beginning of something uniquely theirs.

-

“Yoona, could you come here for a second?”

Yoona looked up from her script and slowly walked towards their classroom teacher, who was in charge of the play of their year.

“Yes?”

“Kyuhyun told me he can’t attend next week’s rehearsal because of his math competition, so I wanted to know if you could do some extra practice with him on Friday. Just so he gets to practice his lines more, since most of the time it will be dialogues between the two of you.”

Yoona was not conscious of it, but her face was glowing.

“O-of course! No problem.”

“Really? Great! I will tell Kyuhyun about it.”

Yoona glanced outside the window while a sweet smile was plastered on her lips. Her eyes were glowing with happiness. It was a beautiful autumn’s day.

-

“Yoona-sshi.”

Yoona stopped with whatever she was doing, upon hearing his voice. She did not want the other to know just how excited she was feeling right now, but the smile that had unconsciously made its way on her lips already betrayed her.

“Kyuhyun-sshi.”

Se quickly put down the script she was practicing while waiting for Kyuhyun, and gestured the boy to the other side of the class room.

“I heard they already have your sword ready, so we can practice with it today.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he followed her to the other side of the room and searched around for the sword. Yoona could not help but chuckle slightly upon seeing the awfully unprofessional attribute Kyuhyun was supposed to use, but Kyuhyun’s face was still as serious as always when he was practicing. Yoon had realized that Kyuhyun took this play utterly serious, something that just made her admire him more.  

“Let’s practice, shall we?”

Kyuhyun had his head tilted slightly to the side, and his energetic eyes had once again mesmerized her. The only thing Yoona could do was nod. Deep inside, she was so embarrassed of her reactions whenever it came to Kyuhyun, but she could not do anything about it. Kyuhyun just had this impact on her, so big, that she could not seem to control herself completely.

Who are you?

His stern voice was filled with so much confident and authority, that she was at loss for a moment. He had begun without telling her, and his eyes, full with determination, urged her to act along. Moments later, while she was still searching for her lines in her head, he pointed the sword to her.

Don’t think that just because you are a lost angel, I’ll not dare to kill you.

Yoona was about to speak back, as she had finally remembered her lines, when a small detail caught her attention. For a moment, she thought she had misheard it, but that could not have been the case. Not when the other person was Kyuhyun. Then, that could only mean one thing. Her eyes locked with his.

He did it on purpose.

I’m here, not to harm you,” They looked into each other’s eyes intently, “please believe me.

And why should I believe you?” Kyuhyun said, his sword still confidently pointing to her.

A warm smile was lingering on her lips as she answered.

Because you have my heart.

They stood there for three whole seconds, before Kyuhyun lowered his sword. A charismatic smile was on his lips as he stood there in front of her, while she spoke no more words. However, slowly, both grinned amusingly as they both realized something special. Something that would twist their lives.

The line was not supposed to have ‘a lost angel’ in it.

-

“Kyuhyun-sshi!”

Yoona could not be happier when she saw Kyuhyun walking through the school gate, meaning that he had not left for the math competition yet. Without thinking twice, she had run her way to him, who was making his way inside the school.

“Yoona-sshi?”

Kyuhyun noticed Yoona’s overflowing happiness, which unconsciously made his lips form into a beautiful smile.

“Kyuhyun-sshi! I’m- I’m so glad that you haven’t left yet!” Yoona said between her heavy breathes, but still an unwavering happiness was on her face.

“Is there something you want?” Kyuhyun asked as she glanced at Yoona.

His question silenced Yoona momentarily, and for just the slightest moment, her breathing even stopped. She had not thought about a reason for stopping him, and she was not about to make up a reason any moment soon right now. All she could do was open up , before closing it quickly because no words could come out of it.

“Aren’t you going to wish me luck?” Kyuhyun asked, and Yoona could not help but notice his shining eyes.

“O-of course, of course!” Yoona stuttered. She shook her head as her attempt to wake herself up, while Kyuhyun waited patiently for her to tell him good luck.

“G-good… Good luck…”

It would have been a miracle if Kyuhyun had heard what she said, since she spoke in such a quiet manner. Her big doe-like eyes glanced up to meet his eyes, hoping that he had still heard it, but Kyuhyun’s face did not give anything away. Yoona was about to open up again, when he suddenly moved his head dangerously close to her face. She noticed how her heartbeats were increasing inhumanly, to the point that it even hurt lightly. Her face felt like it was burning as she waited for Kyuhyun’s next actions. The moment lasted a few more seconds, before he tore his eyes away from hers and moved his head to her right ear.

“Yoona-sshi,” He whispered in his soft voice, “if I win the competition, then what will be my price?”

Yoona could not think clear anymore, not when Kyuhyun was whispering something to her, and asking her such a question. Definitely not, when Yoona’s mind was filled with so many thoughts and her lips were once again sealed because of him. This all happened so frequently when she was around Kyuhyun that she was already starting to doubt whether she really was not a shy girl at all.

“Then,” Kyuhyun suddenly continued, and she instantly shifted all her attention to what he was going to say, “I think I’ll have to mark something as my price upon winning.”

Kyuhyun did not wait for her response, and moved his head away in one swift movement. He smiled gently while looking at Yoona’s face. Her expressions were always so clearly visible – at least for him – and it always amused him.

“Well, then, Yoona-sshi, I’ll be going for now.”

He said before turning away to resume his way towards the school, leaving a dazed Yoona behind. He did not leave without one last sentence, though, as he stopped his track and glanced back to her. A confident grin that Yoona could not help but love to see was on his lips. Yoona was not sure what to expect him to say, but she certainly, most definitely, did not expected his following words.

“Will you be my price, my dear Yoona-sshi?”

-

Excitement. Pure excitement. Yoona had never felt like this before, and she was not going to deny that she liked the feeling. Rationality had already been overshadowed by an immense amount of blissful happiness. It was as she had returned to the days when she was still a little child, and was eagerly waiting for her Christmas present. However, there was one important difference between the two subjects of comparison, and that is that this time not only her mind wanted something dearly, but also her heart. Never in her life had Yoona thought she would be able to experience this feeling that – as if coming out of her heart – consumed her entirely. Such a beautiful moment, that she was already beginning to fear to lose it.

It did not even mattered to her that it was already night, and that there was no way she was going to hear the result anytime soon. She was filled with so much excitement, energy that it never crossed her mind to stay calm and wait patiently for his answer. She could wait all night long, if necessary – she would not be able to concentrate on anything else anyways. Her homework had remained untouched this whole time after she came back from school, and that fact was most certainly not going to change.  

She was lost in her own dream world, completely unreachable, until a melodious tune harshly pulled her back to reality. A sigh had uncontrollably escaped her lips as a tinge of disappointment was lingering inside of her. She was so caught up in the moment, and it felt so delightful that she was sad that something, or rather someone decided to bring her back to reality so soon. She looked around for her cell phone and glanced at the screen.

Unknown.

Yoona did not hesitate to answer the call. Her address book had such a limited amount of numbers in it – she can be quite lazy sometimes – so it was not rare to be called by an unknown number, only to realize that it is just one of her friends. However, she least expected this one person to be calling her.

“Yoona-sshi.”

Yoona’s mind was blank, empty upon hearing his voice. She even started to think her mind was playing tricks on her, since it felt so unreal. Him calling her felt so… Indescribably, abnormally unreal.

“Yoona-sshi?” He asked once more.

“K-Kyuh-hyun-sshi?” She finally managed to speak, although in nervous stutters.

“Indeed,” His chuckle sounded so heavenly in her ears, “Cho Kyuhyun.”

She could clearly imagine the face on her mother’s face if she were to stand in front of her right now. She would say something along the lines like ‘Yoong, you are smiling like a complete fool’ or ‘don’t scare me with that look, dear, I still have to raise you up into an acceptable woman’, and it only added up more to the unbelievable happiness she was feeling. The thought alone of how she was right now, because of one boy, had already made her believe she was not sane anymore: love had made her crazy.

“H-How did you get my number?” Yoona really wanted to know.

“Well, you could say I got a little help from a lovely fairy.”

“I’ll have to have a serious talk with Yuri then, for giving my number to strangers.” Yoona teased, even though it felt as if she was going to faint any time soon because of the overflowing happiness.

“Strangers? Your words stab me harsh, Yoona-sshi.” Yoona was about to apologize, but just in time, her brain had progressed the playfulness in his tone, which made her grin in amusement.

“Really? I wonder if it that’s really the case, Kyuhyun-sshi.”

“Of course they do. They stab me right in the heart, precisely in the middle. I might even be bleeding right now inside. How are you going to take responsibility for that?”

They both burst out in carefree laughter, enjoying the moment they had. Yoona’s smile was blindingly bright as she had her hand clutched onto her cell phone strongly, as if her life depended on it.

“How… How did the competition went, Kyuhyun-sshi?”

“How do you wish it went?” Kyuhyun asked her back.

“I… I just wish it went good.”

Yoona felt herself getting nervous as she said that. Nowadays, she can change from emotions so quickly, and it was all because of him.

“Good? I’ll have to disappoint you, then, actually.”

“Eh?” Yoona instantly sat straight up, surprised with what he said. “You mean… You…  You did not win-”

“I was the star of the competition.” Kyuhyun said in his usual confident voice, and Yoona could just imagine the amused grin on his lips.

“R-Really?!” Yoona yelled out excitedly. “I’m so glad to hear! Congratulations!”

“Thank you.” His voice was sincerely grateful as he spoke. “But…”

Yoona’s excitement quickly turned into concern upon hearing Kyuhyun’s ‘but’. She was naive, innocent, and only hoped that nothing was wrong.

“But…?”

“I don’t know if I’ll get my prize.”

Yoona did not know what was happening to her. Metaphorically, it could be described as if she melted, or even that her whole system just shut down. Whatever description was the right one she did not quite care too much about, but what she did fully understood, was that she was undeniably excited.

“I…”

“Dear Yoona-sshi,” Kyuhyun stopped momentarily before continuing, “who are you, who dared to step onto this forbidden ground?

Kyuhyun was special. His extraordinary ways of always surprising her had caught her, mesmerized her. His beautiful seriousness that he always had, had her trapped and made her unable to stop always noticing his presence. His everything had paved its way into her – if possible – heart, and spread tall over her body rapidly like a virus, leaving no spot unmarked. And she? She loved the feeling, she loved it extremely much.

Please, I’m not here to harm you.” I would never want to harm you, Cho Kyuhyun, is what she wanted to say, but remained unspoken.

And why should I believe you?

Yoona left his question hanging for a moment as she collected all the pieces of courage she could find to speak the words that were dying to be spoken. She had nothing to lose.

Because I’m your angel, send to watch over you, and you have my heart.

 It felt great, indescribably great after she had said those words. However, his response would be all the greater.

Then I’ll hold onto your heart and cherish it, until the day you decide to go back to your heaven, my lost angel.”

-

After that night, Yoona and Kyuhyun had noticeably changed in the eyes of others. They may not have realized it themselves, but everyone else could clearly see the differences. The way Yoona would always have her eyes glued onto Kyuhyun, while Kyuhyun would give only her the privilege of seeing his most charming smiles. Amongst the many couples that were like turbulent rollercoaster rides, they stood out from the crowd. Everyone was just patiently anticipating for the day one of them would confess, marking the beginning of their precious relationship.

Yoona was waiting for it. She was eagerly waiting for that moment, where he will come to her to mark his price. She waited patiently, smilingly, but for the moment happy with how the situation was. Kyuhyun would not fail to surprise her with it, she believed, and therefore, she waited.

And that fateful day did not let itself be waited for too long.

It was a late autumn’s day, as winter had already made its arrival clear. A cold breeze made Yoona’s body shiver as she walked across the campus, wanting to go home as soon as possible. She had decided to stay at school to study some more before going home, and it had ended up being quite late. Before she walked out of the gate, though, something caught her eyes. She first did not believe it, but when she slowly approached the piece of paper securely attached to the school gate, she realized it was real. She hastily ripped off the paper, clutching onto it as if her dear life depended on it, before rushing back into the school.

It was not hard to find out where he was waiting. Not with messages he left that were as clear as day to her. Her heart was pounding crazily as she ran up the stairs, wanting to be where he was as soon as possible. She took a short pause at the top of the stairs, trying to regain a steady breathing, before running to the one classroom she was sure to be able to find him. She was sure he was there. Definitely.

The room they had practiced in that one day, the day Kyuhyun had acknowledged her as his lost angel. Only Kyuhyun would plan something like this, and be so confident that Yoona would be able to realize it. Only Kyuhyun…

She opened the door with all her strength, and an overwhelming view welcomed her. There he was, sitting on top of a table while leaning against the window. He had followed her every step outside with his eyes, and knew just when she would arrive. His eyes were glistering with excitement, amusement, but mixed with nervousness. Yes, Yoona could clearly see the nervousness swimming in his eyes, which he was desperately trying to hide.

“Yoona…” Kyuhyun said lovingly. “I knew you would find it.”

“Of course…” Of course she would.

They locked their eyes, savoring the moment, before Kyuhyun grabbed the harmonica that had been lying next to him. A smile appeared on his lips as he stared at it, before putting it against his mouth. He did not let Yoona progress what was going to follow, but immediately began with showering Yoona with soothing music.

Kyuhyun had planned this all out, trusting fate to bring this all into a great result. He had waited hours for Yoona, but it did not matter, as she was worth the little wait. He believed she would come eventually, that she would understand what he was implying. Kyuhyun believed, and it all showed him that he had believed right.

The music slowly softened, until only silence was left. Kyuhyun placed down the harmonica before standing up straight. Yoona was about to say something, but all sorts thoughts instantly vanished upon seeing him walking to the keyboard that was at the other side of the room. She had not noticed it being there, she never had the chance, but she could feel the excitement boiling inside of her.

Kyuhyun took place behind the keyboard, his slender fingers softly moving across the keys. And then he played a song that contrasted so much with the melodious tune he had just created with his harmonica, that Yoona was stunned for a while. Stunned in a good way.

“Isn’t she lovely?
Isn’t she wonderful?
Isn’t she precious?”

His English was not the best, by far not, but that did not took away any points from the great performance he was giving to Yoona solely. It may not have been perfect to anyone else, but for Yoona, it was beyond perfect. Never did she think Kyuhyun would possess such a beautiful, clear voice, pleasant to listen to. The jazz-like song was lovely to listen to, and the lyrics... How much she adored every sentence of it.

“But isn’t she lovely
Made from love?”

He was wearing a smile she would never be able to erase from her memories – not that she ever wanted to.

“Isn’t she lovely?
Life and love are the same
Love is Yoona
The meaning of her name.”

Kyuhyun slowly stopped pressing the piano keys, deafening the piano playing, while his voice gradually rose louder and louder. He stood up and approached Yoona, who was still astonished.

“Isn’t our Yoona lovely?”

And then, with the loveliest smile of his, he kneeled down in front of her, holding onto a rose he got somewhere when he was approaching her.

“I’ve come to mark my price.”

Yoona felt like crying. She felt like crying, as if it were the only way to express the feeling she was feeling right now. She had not mistaken anything. She was right. Kyuhyun was one of a kind, purely one of a kind.

“I’ve been waiting.”

Joyful tears were rolling down as she spoke, contrasting the happiness on her face. Kyuhyun smiled as he stood up.

“Then, let me mark my beloved price now.”

He said before crushing his lips on hers.

 



You read until the end?? :D Whoa, thank you! :D First of all, I hope you understood that the italics were sentences for the play, which Kyuhyun and Yoona continued to change. I hate to bother my readers when they're reading, so that's why I say this at the end :D

And also, for all my inspirations: I used Birdy's Skinny Love (And oh boy I quickly changed that), Bruno Mars' All She Knows (thanks to iiUnni, and it brought the fangirlish Yoona to life) and also, the play just came randomly, but the sword and all is because my unconscious remembered that Kyuhyun played in a musical with musketeers and all. And about the 'prize'-thing, let's just say my Seoulmate obsession (Boys over Flowers Kim Bum and Kim So Eun) got the better of me. Back then I read a great fanfic about them, and it influenced me .. XD AND LASTLY, KYUHYUN'S SONG!! From his SS4 solo!! :D I've been to their concert, and I loved it !:D That counts as experience too, right?

And... I think I used to many words like extremely, inhumanly etcetera... But I did not know how to describe Yoona otherwise... Just hope it was not bothersome :) I just had to update, because I did not want to let you all wait, and I could not concentrate on studying without having finished it, but now I really have to learn, so please be patient with the next chapter :D I'll do my best to update as soon as possible! :D Until next time! :D