final

Aftermath

 

''Well, at the moment....Sulli's being targeted, apparently she got caught on camera at a karaoke bar smoking..and in a little number of a dress too. There was an ashtray on a table nearby her and of course everyone's concluding the worst of her. Krystal's been dealing with antis lately for her bad behaviour, but we both know she's strong and is able to take care of herself. Victoria Noona and Nichkhun hyung are getting less awkward between each other..and now Sulli made a new preposition for them! You wouldn't believe it as it doesn't sound like something Sulli would ask..she wants them to call each other appa and umma.''

''Luna was at sports idol day..don't worry, we took good care of her, Minho held her hand in case she got lost, since she's so short. But she couldn't really get lost amongst all those dark-haired girls, you know, she has light hair at the moment. Jonghyun hyung rubbed her shoulders, it was quite funny actually, but then you know him and his skinship. Luna's been lonely lately so we've tried our best to make her forget anything that happened...currently Leeteuk hyung is keeping his eye on her, apparently.''

''And what about the boys?''

finally, she had spoken up.

''hmm...well, Taemin-ah's going through some major hair changes. At the moment he has something that looks like ramen, and he went and danced on a show, I forgot which one though, ah...Jonghyun hyung is still working out at the gym and-''

''Are you going to tell me something about you for once?''

This question took him off-guard. He was used to rambling on and on about the others, because he had always been sure that that was what she wanted.

He didn't know how to answer her back, nor what to make off her unexpected question.

''Um, well, obviously I'm doing fine.'' he answered after a short while, gulping quite loudly.

She kept quiet. He turned to look at her, leaning his head sideways to peer into her glazed eyes. He couldn't make out what she was thinking anymore...he no longer could tell what thoughts were filtering through her mind, not like before..back when she had been so open and loud and wild.

Back when he didn't have to try to be anything but himself.

After what had seemed like a century, he saw her lips part..her lips were cracked and dry due to the infrequency of being used,

''...then why is it, Kim Kibum, that...you don't sound like you're doing fine?...I know I can't see you, but I can hear you, and the things I'm hearing..'' she swallowed, ''I don't like them.''

Once again, he was at a loss for words, he tried to grasp onto anything, any excuse to make her not worry like this.

He was ready with a comeback, an overly used sentence that he'd been saying ever since the..accident. Key opened his mouth, all prepared, and then she snapped.

''Don't treat me like I'm stupid.'' her teeth were gritted together,

''do you know how it makes me feel when you treat me like an invalid? it's only my eyes that aren't working, you know? the rest of me is still alive, did you know that? my brain is still on power! I'm still...me.''

He watched as her bottom lip quivered, she was going to cry, he could feel it. There was only one time in which he had seen Amber cry, and that was when she had been home-sick. Since the day she had joined the girl group f(x), Amber had never fully settled down in Korea and had plenty of sleepless nights. The other girls had informed Key that Amber hardly seemed to go to sleep at night and that they'd hear her soft crying spells through the thin walls of their dormitory. It pained him to see her like this, he was used to a happy Amber, a jolly, joyful, happy, smiley Amber compared to this girl in front of him. In one swift movement, Key ran up behind her and enveloped her in his arms. His arms grazed around her chest, ''I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry'' he continued repeating until Amber's tears would halt. Amber hiccuped through her sniffles. ''I didn't know what to do..'' Key added, ''I haven't had the chance to say or do anything without messing up. I just..what can I say?''

''It isn't..'' Amber whispered slowly, ''What you can and cannot do...it isn't about that, I just want to..be able to be ME, again. I want to live life to the fullest..that's been my motto since I was in High School...this isn't ME.'' she burst into tears.

Key was at a loss on what to do or say but even so, he continued to hold her,

Please don't cry...I hate seeing you cry. I hate it so much, it pains me to see you cry, Amber.

 

 

____

 

''I miss...colour.'' she whispered, looking up at him with a wide smile on her lips, ''I miss looking at all the different colours...I miss being shocked when I see your new hair style...I miss not being able to tease you about it...

but if you asked me whether I regretted it or not, I would say no. I believe everything happens for a reason...and me being like this was all done on purpouse..''

He just gave a faint smile. It didn't matter either way whether he smiled from the heart or not anymore..it wasn't like she could tell, but even so..he still felt the urge to smile a little.

''I miss...seeing you scoff at people..the way your lips form upwards into a smirk and then you look to the side, or roll your eyes. I thought I wouldn't miss that. I used to hate the way you looked down on us, as if we were nothing but morons.''

almost instinctively, he felt his lips form upwards into a smirk at her words.

''I miss seeing you up on stage...the way you move has always been different from all the other performers...far more skilled, and of course..you were never shy to show-off, were you?''

He shook his head, smiling a little to himself, while remininscing.

''I heard that you copied the Nu Abo dance and then you copied CL on some radio show.''

Key smiled faintly, his cheeks flushing bright red.

''Can you believe that the last thing I saw before my sight was taken away, was the car in front of our's number plate?'' there was always moments like these, rhetorical questions such as this one that made it hard for Key, but then he also thought how much courage it took Amber just to say these things. Just to state that she was blind, that she had a car accident with a group of friends, and that she had been the only one to leave with a fatal injury. Where the other people in the car, where the manager and a few other executives had left with a few scratches, a head injury, among other things. Amber was left with something that she would have to live with for the rest of her life.

''I still remember the dance steps for Mr. Boogie, the one that we were learning in rehearsals..right before the accident. I remember how I was so tired out that I thought to myself that I didn't want to dance for a loong time.''

Key winced.

''I don't regret it, Kibum hyung.'' Key opened his eyes in surprise at the honorific. She hadn't called him 'hyung' nor 'Kibum' for quite a while, that he had almost forgotten he was a year older than her.

''Come here.'' Amber whispered, the sound of her voice like a cool breeze passing by. Key walked over, following her hand motions, finding himself standing right in front of the glazed looking Amber. ''I heard you.'' Amber said, her eyes not focusing. Key noticed her shaking hands moving forward, trying to grasp onto something. Her hands reached upwards until they held onto his chin. She the end of his chin, and then moved upward towards the side of one of his cheekbones, where his scar was. As was Amber's eyesight, Key's scar would forever remain etched on his face.

Her fingers travelled to the point of his nose, and then underneath his eyelids. Key closed his eyes instantly, so that she could place her fingertips on the backs of his eyelids. Slowly, gently her fingers flew down, as graceful as a pianist or a painter. Key halted his breathing every now and then, causing himself to appear stoic.

He felt her move forward, and then a quick peck on the corner of his lips occured. As if woken up from a sleepless nightmare, he looked at her in awe. She smiled back at him, despite not being able to see him.

''I'm sorry for what I did before...'' Amber whispered softly, ''it was cruel...thank you for coming to visit me here.'' Key just smiled back at her, despite knowing that she wouldn't be able to witness it. It greatly saddened him, but it was something he was going to have to get used to someday.

Someday, the awkwardness would leave, and then they would go back to being Amber and Key. Bestfriends.

Whether she could see or not wasn't the point. Whether the two of them had changed over time or not.

Hopefully.