It's Too Late Now

It's Too Late Now

 

Kim Himchan was the type of man that woke up in a different bed nearly every night and left before the owner would wake up. He knew that the people he went home with were only interested in his reputation, but to say that he cared would have been a lie. He was getting what he wanted so it didn’t matter that the people giving it to him wouldn’t bat an eyelash if he was found dead the following day. Either way he thought it was nice to be desired.

His roommate had stopped questioning him of his whereabouts two months in to their living arrangement. He was the type of man that was looking for “the one,” but he didn’t care that other people didn’t have the same views. He did worry about Himchan though. The other male wasn’t exactly safe with his ual endeavours. That was why they were both sitting on their couch staring at Himchan’s mobile phone on a Saturday afternoon.

“I’m scared, Gukkie…” Himchan whispered and dropped his head into his hands. The call was meant to come any time between noon and 20:00, but Himchan had been hopeful it would come closer to noon. Three hours had passed however and the phone still hadn’t rung. He knew that it would be asking too much for the information to come quickly.

Yongguk sighed and wrapped his arms around his pretty roommate. He had been telling the younger male to be safe and take care of himself, but Himchan usually blew him off. Himchan continually reminded Yongguk that he was a and therefore didn’t get to give ual advice; playing with yourself doesn’t make you an expert. “You’ll be fine.” He pressed his lips to the top of his roommate’s head and pulled him even closer. He’d never seen Himchan is such a state.

The model hadn’t been sleeping and it was obvious that he was crying whenever Yongguk wasn’t around. He sighed and curled even closer to his roommate. “Unlikely. I don’t know if you realise that we’re waiting for them to call and tell me whether or not my life is over.”

“It’s not a death sentence.” Yongguk muttered the words he had heard on Discovery Health the night before. Himchan had been freaking out and wouldn’t stop watching health programmes until Yongguk shut the television off and forcibly removed him from the living room. “I’ll take care of you. I won’t abandon you.”

Himchan shrugged his shoulders and wiped at a couple of tears that had snuck out of his eyes. He wasn’t going to allow himself to cry in front of Yongguk. He could do it again when the taller male finally left him alone. It probably wouldn’t happen until after the call came. Himchan didn’t have the kind of luck it would require to receive the results they were both hoping for. “I’ll push you away.”

Yongguk sighed and the two of them returned to silence. Himchan pulled away from his roommate after a while and put his down on the arm of the couch. The phone needed to ring. Himchan desperately needed it to ring, however, at the same time there wasn’t anything he wanted less. His entire life could change depending on what he was told.

The sun was setting – and Yongguk’s stomach had been yelling at them for at least an hour – when Himchan’s phone rang. His hands were shaking as he reached out to grab a hold of it and check the screen. Caller ID didn’t recognise the number so he knew it had to be the call he had wasted the entire day waiting for. He wasn’t sure he was ready to answer. His thumb hovered over the screen as he tried to decide if he should answer. Yongguk gave him a soft smile and nodded his head; Himchan decided that he was trying to tell him to answer the phone.

Even though he wasn’t at all prepared Himchan’s thumb slid across the screen to answer the call. “H-hello?” He didn’t even recognise his own voice. The sound that came out of his mouth was far too high to be his voice.

“This is Dr Hwang’s office calling for Kim Himchan?” The voice on the other end of the phone was too happy. She shouldn’t have been so chipper when she was calling people about their test results. It made bile rise up into Himchan’s throat.

Yongguk took Himchan’s hand into his own and rubbed his thumb over the back of his roommate’s hand. Any sort of comfort was welcome. “Th-this i-is he.” Himchan couldn’t remember the last time he had stuttered. It had probably been back when he was overweight and ugly. The new Himchan was hot and he knew it, there was no reason for him to stutter. “D-do you have m-my re-results?”

“Are you sure you’d like to receive them over the phone?” It was obvious that she was stalling. Himchan whimpered slightly and tried to push a yes off of his tongue. He hoped the woman would understand what the garbled syllable was meant to be. “Alright Sir.” The sound of paper ruffling came through over the phone and a couple of humming noises. This seemed so unorganised. Himchan needed organisation. “Your test came back positive Sir. I’m sorry. We can mail you pamphlets about living as an HIV positive person if you like.”

“U-uhm… sure. Th-that woul-would be g-good.” He felt the tears welling up in his eyes and his hand somehow found it’s way to his mouth. He’d known his luck wasn’t good enough. There had been the smallest sliver of hope though. The woman started talking again but Himchan ended the call. He stood up from the couch – ignoring Yongguk’s questioning gaze – and walked into his bedroom. He hadn’t been careful but he had never thought it could happen to him. Himchan collapsed to his bed and sobbed.

Yongguk stood at the door of the other male’s bedroom and watched him cry. He didn’t have to hear the words come out of Himchan’s mouth because the results were more than obvious. Several tears slipped down his face but he didn’t bother to wipe them. No matter how optimistic he had been in the living room he knew that things were bad.

Guilt bubbled up inside his body as he watched his best friend break in front of him. The plan had been to confess to Himchan on the night he had gone home with that man. Yongguk was supposed to tell his friend that he was in love with him and somehow convince Himchan that a relationship was a good idea. He’d lost his spine last minute though and Himchan had gone out. Two days later news broke that the man Himchan had been with had tested positive for HIV. Now Himchan had as well. Nothing could be done to make this better. 

__________

So there's that. I hope you enjoyed it. I had to flip a coin to decide how it would end. So :D

Leave me pretty comments~~