Somewhere Else

How to Save A Life

                Sooyoung blinked twice, not quite understanding what was happening. Since her right arm was still imprisoned in a cast, her free hand slowly picked up one of the numerous travel brochures laid out on her bed before her. Leeteuk’s laptop was on the right side of her bed and the owner of the said gadget was seated on a chair by the side of her bed and was busy working away.

                Staring at the brochure for Greece in her hand for a while, she tried to sum up the will not to stutter. They hadn’t personally spoken about the shooting incident yet. She would really want to but ever since she had woken up, all Leeteuk did was focus on whatever it was he was doing in his laptop. Thus, they had no chance to talk about it. That fact somewhat bothered her, considering that severity of what had happened.

Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to speak steadily. “Oppa, what are these?”

“Pick everything that you want.” Leeteuk replied without taking his eyes off what he was working on. “I’ll help you narrow it down later.”

No realization dawned upon her. “Oppa, I don’t get you. What are these for?”

“We’re leaving in a few days and we’re going to live in wherever it is you want to live.”

Sooyoung shot up in her hospital bed. “WHAT?!”

"YAH! You should be careful, Soo. Your body is still recovering." Likewise, the Super Junior leader shot out of seat and helped her sit up. “Come to think of it… If you want to live in more than one country, we can do it. We can live somewhere for a few months before we transfer to–”

“OPPA!” She interrupted his mini ramble. “What are you talking about? Who’s leaving? What do you mean living abroad?”

Leeteuk smiled apologetically, taking the time to set his laptop on the table. “I’m sorry if I kinda confused you, Soo… What I meant is that you and I are going to leave Korea and stay somewhere else for the meantime.”

That confused her even more. “How is that possible? We have work! What will happen to Super Junior and SNSD?” Not to mention the fact that the idea meant that she had to live in some place with him.

“SM had agreed to it. Quite easily actually… They agreed to pay half of the expenses. I pay for one fourth and the other one fourth will be divided among whoever wants to contribute.” He rested his forearms on the bed. “Everyone figured out that you’d need a break… the fans would understand. I’m sure of it. Besides, we need to keep you safe. The gunman is still on the loose, Soo.”

“H-How long are we supposed to live abroad?” Sooyoung asked apprehensively, not even caring that the person who shot her - who was supposed to shoot him - was still out there.

“One year.”

Her eyes looked like they were going to pop out of their sockets anytime soon. “ONE YEAR?!”

He nodded, finding some amusement in her reactions. “365 days, Soo… SM is going to create a subgroup for SNSD to cover up your absence… Meanwhile, Super Junior M would gain more attention this year and the boys will replace me in my commitments.”

“Isn’t a year too long?” The leggy woman stared at the brochure for Greece in her hand. “I really don’t think it’s possible.”

“I already told you. It’s already settled with SM. All you need to do is to pick where so I can make arrangements.” Leeteuk nodded towards his computer, which flashed a website of a travel agency, before he took a handful of brochures and looked at them one by one. “Italy would be an awesome choice. France too… I'd love to go back. Oh, we can go to Japan if you want somewhere near. But people recognize us there. Oh… We can opt for the Bahamas. I heard–”

“Oppa!’ She locked eyes with him, cutting him off mid-sentence. “Don’t take this the wrong way… But why do you have to go with me?”

                Smiling patiently, Leeteuk got up from his seat, gathered all the brochures in his hands and deposited them on his previously occupied chair. He sat down on the hospital bed, gently grasping her free hand in his. Sooyoung blushed furiously at his actions, wishing that her hair was longer at that moment. His eyes fell momentarily on her wounded shoulder and he frowned as the memory of her taking the shot flashed through his mind. It was the worst thing he ever saw in his life. It would hunt him wherever he went.

The Super Junior leader paused for a while to think of what to say. “If you want the shallowest answer, I’d say it’s because I’m paying for one fourth of everything needed… But then again if you follow that logic, I don’t think you’d be happy if someone from the SM management comes with you.” His efforts were rewarded by a smile from her. “Soo, I owe you my life. We all know that the gun shot was for me. This is my way of thanking you, making sure you’ll recover and shielding you from the dangers of our work… even just temporarily. I hope you let me do this for you.”

“You’re going to sacrifice your work, Super Junior, your family for a year?” Sooyoung said incredulously, not quite believing her ears. “For me?”

His signature dimpled smile lit his handsome face. “I’d sacrifice anything for you.”

She swallowed the lump that suddenly formed in , feeling very overwhelmed. “Oppa… If you just wanna thank me, you don’t have to do this. You don’t have to spend…”

“I’m not doing this only because of the things I said earlier.”

“Then why?”

Leeteuk leaned closer to her until his face was inches away from hers, smirking when he heard her gasp softly. “If I kiss you right now, what would you do?”

Stunned into momentary silence, Sooyoung dared herself to do something different, to say something different… to express why she took the bullet for him at the first place. “How about you kiss me so you’ll find out?”

                If he was surprised with her answers, he didn’t show it. Instead, he chose to accept her challenge and pressed his lips onto hers. His lips felt so soft and warm, sending chills up the brunette’s spine. As if he was getting a tad bit impatient for her answer, his tongue darted forward and massaged her lower lip. Sooyoung moaned, finally parting her lips and kissing him back eagerly.

“So where do you wanna live?” Leeteuk asked after their lips broke apart. “Scratch that… Where would you like to go if I’d ask you to go away with me for a year?”

SNSD’s cheerful princess thought for a moment. “Italy!”

“Perfect… Italy it is.” He rested his forehead against hers. “Though can I ask why?”

“The food.”

“...Of course.”