Shirt or no shirt?

Belly Dancing Doesn't Make Me a .

 

a/n: yes it has been forever and i'm sorry!!!! the chapter with the dresses will take place in a little while so don't flip out that i didn't use them in this one ^_^
 
"Taemin, are you okay?" Ailee asked me. I just simply noded my head. "What'd he do?" She insisted. I sped up and pointed at my back. It was good that the dress let me show what happened but bad that strangers could see it. And I'm sure I wouldn't be belly dancing with only my bra on for a while.
 
When we got home, Ailee bandaged up my back after my shower. I spent the night with Ailee and IU. They were gentle with me. Yes I do mean physically, but mentally and emotionally too. They didn't push me, most likely too afraid that I might break. After all, I'm new to the world they just snapped me into.
 
My back was wrapped in bandages and I had school tomorrow; and belly dance lessons. It was hard for me to sleep. It all hurt and everything seemed to replay in my head.
 
School seemed to drag on. Everyone was really hyper; everyone but me. I tried not to move too much. I wanted it to heal as much as I could before this evening's belly dance class. Luckily, school ended while I was daydreaming during the last hour.
 
I walked home and checked on my parents, did chores and homework, then went to bellydancing. I was a little late so everyone was already there. My teacher gave me an odd look as if saying, 'What the hell, Taemin. You were supposed to have already been here. You are explaining everything to me later.'
 
When I didn't take my shirt off like I normally would so I can see my belly, the room became tense. It hurt to do a few moves but the rest I would just push on through. At break time my teacher came over to me.
 
"Hey Tae, let's go talk for a bit." She said extending her hand to help me up. I took it and cringed a little in pain, she took full notice of it. When she closes her office door, you know something serious is going on to never disturb her, but I didn't know what to do when she closed it since I was inside the office. I kept myself silent. "Explain, please." She said simply.
 
"It's kind of personal..." I said.
 
"We're like a family here though, Tae. You're like my own daughter and I'm worried."
 
"Well...." I started to explain to her, getting caught up in my own words. I stopped in the middle of explaining and just decided to show her. I took off my shirt and turned around so she could see the bulk marks the man had left on me.
 
"Anything else you want to tell me? Anything at all?" She asked. She wanted to know my own thoughts. At least she wasn't pushing me though.
 
"I-I...I kinda...liked...it..." I said to her.
 
"Do they know?"
 
"No..." I said putting my shirt back on.
 
"The best way for them to know and not feel ashamed themselves is to dance without your shirt on. It'd put them at ease. But," She said grabbing my attention, "If you feel even the slightest confused, unwelcomed, or uneasy but it, keep it on. Only if you're sure you like it and will approach it should you keep it off." She explained to me.
 
I nodded, not telling her wheather or not what I'd do and she and I both went back out. "10 more minutes of break everyone, you're all working hard today and I admire that." Everyone gave me some space during that break. It's what I needed; time to think.
 
"Alright, break's over." I heard our instructor say. It pulled me out from my own fog and back into reality. I had to make a decision.
************
I heard our music starting. It was her letting us know that this is our final run through. Everyone was already in their places and the music was almost at the point for us to begin. They started to walk to the middle with the beat while I started to stand up.
 
Won't they judge me even more if I take my shirt off? Won't they just call me a drama queen? Or will they say that it was all a joke and think I'm a freak? I didn't know what to do. I wanted to do one but didn't want to leave the other in the dust.
 
Their part started and I walked over to where I'd still be hidden from our mock curtin. I was scared. Not only did I have to decide but I had a solo where they'd all be watching me and able to see the marks if I would take my shirt off.
 
But didn't I say I liked that? Shouldn't I show them that I'm okay? Huff... I took my shirt off at the last second and started to walk out from my spot. They all eyed me in disbelief. I did my solo, locking my hips, droping them, waving, everything. 
 
I could see myself in the mirrors. All the marks that man had left on me were visible. Our doors were open to the rest of the place since this is also a dance studio and not just a bellydance place. People out there noticed my body and started to look at me, whispering to one another. I smiled and the others joined in after my solo. We moved together perfectly.
 
Once the song finished we stayed in our spot until our instructor clapped. I moved and saw through the mirror the person I'd least like to see; Jonghyun. My eyes grew wide and he smirked at me, winked, and disapeared down the hall to another dance room.
 
Before I could run after him, I was given a life threatening hug by everyone. They expressed their worries and happiness to me. Worried about me since that night and happiness that I could take my shirt off and dance normally.
 
"Yeah... Hey, I need to go use the toilet girls... I'll see you all later, okay? Hyorin, can I sleep at your house tonight?" I asked her.
 
"Sure! I'll wait in here for you to come back." She smiled at me. I smiled back, grabbed my stuff and went in the direction that Jonghyun had went.