Arrangement

Arrangement

 

“What? Are you kidding me? I can’t marry him! No ing way!”

“Watch your words mister!”

 

And here I am, trying to defend myself from this stupid arrangement of our family business. I thought these kinds of things only happen on television.

Damn. I had a belief that all I see on TV are false. 

 

I looked at the guy who I think is my future wife or husband-to-be trying to indicate him for a help, but he is forever looking down. This is just ing stupid. Why isn’t he opening his what seems to be like a big dinosaur looking mouth? 

“I can’t do this. No.” I slouched on my chair.

“Kibum. This is the only thing we can do to save the company.” My mom went in front of me and kneeled. Yeah, she’s making me feel a lot worse now that she’s doing this.

I held her and tried to make her stand up “Mom, please. I feel like being sold”

Our eyes met. Her eyes hinted her pleading. I tried to control my emotions and be strong on what I believe is right.

Well, not until she mentioned my grandmother. “Your Grandmother worked hard for this… for us. Please Kibum, Make her proud. Make her happy”

For once, I found myself quiet. It seemed like I was tranquilized.

Everyone’s eyes were on me now and I felt the pressure being a lot more stressful.

“For grandmother … huh?” my lips formed a small smile. my eyes were lost on some kind of space.

“I’m sorry but … if he doesn’t want to continue the arrangement then we won’t continue it. You don’t need to force both of us … Anyway, I think there’s another way to solve------------“

 “I’ll do it.”

I glared at the guy talking and for some weird reasons; He looked at me like he saw some ghost or something. ‘What’s wrong?’ I cocked my eyebrows.

 

- - - - - - -

 

The next thing I know is that there’s already wedding invitations being given away by our families and their friends. I’m not sure if I did the right choice but I’m doing this for my grandmother, not for my ‘hungry-for-money-family-and-relatives’. Though, I just did… practically speaking.

Ugh… I’ll just focus on Grandmother. I want her to be happy just like how she made me feel for the years that I’ve been living. I’d do everything for her… at a point where I had to cross-dress for this stupid arrangement. Which adds the sarcasm of this arrangment to the highest level. No one knows me except for my family and their closest friends anyway.

She had sacrificed a lot. It’s my time to give that back.

“Hey.” Someone whispered from behind. Feeling surprised, I jumped a little and faced the other side, being welcomed by my future-whatever.

“Do you know how to knock? You just gave me a heart attack. Damn it.”Instead of getting mad by the annoying tone of my voice and words. I admit that. He laughed

“I’m sorry but your door was fully open so I thought you’d already see me coming” He sat beside me and looked around.

“Well, Excuse me if I’m in deep thoughts” I puffed looking at him sarcastically.

“I just thought it’d be nice if … you know, we get to know each other?” he smiled as if he doesn’t feel awkward around me at all. I felt a bit light and that is weird.

“I think I’ve had enough information about you. Your Dad gave me some documents about you. Your full name, birthdate, birthplace, telephone number, cellphone number, age even your favorite color, foods, drinks or whatsoever. You name it, I’ve read it” I smirked, a bit gratified.

“Do you know what brand of briefs I wear?”He joked, testing my confidence.

“I’d be more pleased if we talk formal” I smiled with bitterness.

“Have you read who my first love was?” He asked as he tilted his head. He sounded quite serious for a second there.

“As far as I can remember, you never had a girlfriend” I crossed my arms as I tried to recall the documents.

“Too bad. I’m not asking for that… I asked if you know who my first love was?” He stressed every word from that question.

“I have no idea, okay? And I don’t care. Why do you bother asking me that?” I wheezed, sounding agitated.

“That’s actually the point. Do you want some coffee? Americano?” He asked teasingly and twitched his eyebrows. That’s strange.

“How did you know-----“ I tried to ask but before I can finish my sentence, he cut me off.

“ I guess you’re not the only one who received some documents.” He smirked as he grabbed my hands and walked outside.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - 

 

“Seriously? You don’t have any friends at all? That’s impossible!”He choked on his coffee-jelly frappe. I was expecting that reaction though.

“Do I look like I’m kidding?” I answered. I took a sip on my Americano and peeked on him. I held my laughter when I realized how comical his face was.

“Well, there’s seriously no man who doesn’t have any friends at all! That’s freaking insane!” He gaped. His eyes becoming quizzical compared to his normal ones.

“How about school?”

“Home-schooled.”

“Shopping?”

“Alone.”

“Karaoke?”

“Room… plus my bathroom.”

“Eating at restaurants?”

“With family. Ordering, mostly.”

 “Party?”

“I give fake numbers.”

“What? Why? No you don’t.”

“I don’t like es and if I’m going to have , I’ll do it with the right person. Not with someone I just met at a ing party. I sense what they like and what they actually want to do. My money and .”

He stared at me for a second and a smirk slowly formed on his lips. “You’re telling me your ity is for the right person … that would be the one you’ll marry, right?”

I looked down and shrugged “Duh? Of course. I married that person … it’s obvious that he/she is ‘the one’. That means I love------- Wait wait wait. Yours is different. It was forced!” caught off guard. I pointed at him and found myself standing up.

“I believe you agreed on the arrangement. But that sure sounded enthralling” He chuckled and let out a cheeky grin. makes me want to punch him.

“You’re insane.” I sat and drooped at the mini couch.

“You’re … cute.” He whispered, which obviously was a loud one since it just entered my ears.

“Excuse me?” I acted as if I heard nothing.

“Huh? Nothing. I’m pretty sure we’ll get along Mr. Kim Kibum.” He handed his hand, offering a handshake.

 

His smile had a change of feeling.

 

“Shut up Kim Jonghyun.” 

“I thought you wanted to talk formal?”

“That was minutes ago”

“Still counts for me”

“I find it awkward. So I decided not to.”

“Okay, boss”

“I’m not your boss”

“You talk like one”

“Your mere existence is starting to annoy me”

“Wow, thank you very much”

 

We got along surprisingly fast, didn’t we?

 

Our laughter hinted that we’re both opening our minds for this arrangement thing, well yeah, I’m optimistically speaking now.

And our gazes and glances signaled that we’re giving a chance to open our hearts… for the two of us. For our happiness and satisfaction in the future.

 

Guess I have to welcome myself to a new life…. with this dinosaur looking guy.