Chapter 02

We’re better off as friends

 

 

            I open the door, and to my surprise it was my parents. “Don’t you have any keys? And I thought you guys are at work” I said. “Oh we forgot the keys because we’re so excited and of course it’s your birthday silly, we took a day off to celebrate your 17th birthday” My parents answered. They carry a lot of bags from the grocery near our house. I think they bought all of this for my birthday. My mother is the best when it comes to cooking and preparing for celebrations, while my Father is at best to invite all the people in our neighborhood. I want to stop my father from inviting too many people because I at socialization and I’m an awkward turtle when it comes to that. I didn’t stop them because I don’t want to hurt their feelings and I don’t want all their efforts come to waste. I remembered that I was about to go to the bookstore to find new books to read and to buy presents for myself. I totally forgot about it because of the ‘surprise’ my parents are having for me.

 

            So I just postponed going and instead I just help out in the kitchen. I quickly changed into my ‘home-outfit’ because I don’t want to ruin my dress before the party. I wear a comfy slipper and a loose shirt and a tight short. This is what I usually wear during daytime when I’m here at home alone.

 

            It was almost twelve pm; we’re almost done cooking some of the dishes. I went to the living room and there I see my dad sitting on the couch, seriously thinking of whom to invite. I jerk myself off besides him. “What’s there to think?” I said. “I don’t know who to invite, do you know some of the people around?” My father asks. “I barely remember their faces dad” I said jokingly. “Ha, what’s there to expect, I’m just going to invite everyone on our neighborhood”.

            “You sure about that? For a second I though you’re just kidding” I said. “Well, I want you to have a lot of friends this year, I don’t want you to just sit here all day in front of your laptop laughing like mad okay” My father said as if he thinks that his plans will work. I just nodded and smile as I go upstairs to clean my self and get into my wardrobe.

 

            After an hour of preparing, I walk down stairs and I could not believe that this was our old house. I mean the decorations are just so magically placed I don’t even recognize it myself. The sofas are well placed. The television is at the same place of course, hanging on the ceiling. But I see a lot of balloons all over the place. Then I hear a knock on the door. Oh it’s our first visitor.

 

            “Good afternoon Mr. Park” I hear the visitor say. “Oh, thank you for coming! I wasn’t expecting you to really come because you know…work” My father said trying to get the visitors feel comfort. As time passes by many visitors came. I, being socially awkward have no place to hide because I’m the birthday girl. It , really. But I have no choice but greet them one by one and offer them drinks. I occasionally receive gifts from time to time.

 

            Hours later, someone caught my eyes. His familiar gaze and his hazel-colored eye is still the same. I can feel my heart beating as fast as he approaches me.

           It’s Junhyung.

           I have a huge crush on him since forever. We’re classmates since kindergarten. But I haven’t got a chance to talk to him about what I feel for him. And of course if I have I won’t actually do it.

 

            “Hi Jiyeon! Happy Birthday!” Junhyung said with a smile as he handed me a box wrapped in a colorful pieces of paper. “Thank you, I didn’t know you know me until know” I teased. “Now, don’t be like that, we’re neighbors for so long and you didn’t know?” He answered back. “We’re classmates since kindergarten for so long and you didn’t know?” I said mocking his voice. He then laughs and gave me a pat on the back. “I didn’t know you’re really pretty until now” Junhyung said. I don’t know if he’s sincere or just being weird or something. “Oh, Thanks? I’ll take that as a compliment” I said as I walk away from him and put his present on the table near the end of the stairs.

 

            Time passes by, it’s already 9pm and some of the visitors start leaving. That includes Junhyung. He gave me a hug before going. His hug feels so warm that I can’t even think straight. Then the next thing I remembered is it’s already 8’oclock in the morning. Yesterday wasn’t the best birthday ever but I’m sure I’m going to remember it for 91237124612991years.