Chapter 01

We’re better off as friends

 

               It was 6 in the morning of mid-summer; I can see the rays of the sun pass through our windows. I get up, wash my face and brush my teeth. I go to the kitchen, no one's home. I guess my parents have gone to work. I get a cup, pour some hot water and mix a powder of chocolate. I went to the living room; I sit there and reach for the remote control but failed. I took a sip of the hot chocolate as I appreciate the aroma that is coming from the tasteful burning drink. What a nice way to start a day. I think it will be fun.

               I don't usually go out of the house. I just like sitting or laying on the couch the whole day with my laptop, where I can express my self, where I have friends who I can talk my problems with. But today is a special day. It’s my birthday. So I immediately took a shower, feeling the splash of water run down through my spine feels so good. I feel refreshed and now I’m ready to face the day ahead of me.

               I open the closet only to find some old clothes; some of them have never even touched. Not even once. I usually just buy the clothes I want, to display them inside my closet? No. I just haven’t found the right time and the right weather to wear it. And I think now is the time to wear my unused Red dress that I bought 4 months ago. It has no sleeves, and its falls just right below my knee. It’s just a simple red dress with golden gems or whatever the shiny thing is called that is placed below my chest that gives a simple but beautiful shine when you’re under the sun.

               I match the dress with my black stilettos with a pearl on the middle and have a two-inch heel. This is what my mom gave me last year as a birthday present. It’s lovely and it matches well with the dress. I look myself in the mirror and I whisper “Happy Birthday to you!” and I laugh at my self because I look so dumb and weird talking to my reflection.

               And then there’s a knock on the door. I ran towards the living room to see the person knocking on our doorstep this early morning. Who can it be?