Uncertain Things

The Real Him

Twelve hours ago, I was certain and sure of the things that I did: quit my job (to the chagrin of my parents), got a visa and a ticket and boarded a plane bound for Seoul to search for my missing cousin. 

What I didn't know is what to do next. The goal is to find Dana and bring her home with me. But the things to do before that, I don't know. 

Where should I go? Where should I start? The longer I stand inside the busy Incheon airport looking at people rushing, sure where they were going makes me start regretting my decision.

Did I really had to quit my job and fly here on a whim?

Since I don't have a plan to fulfill my goal, I realize that I should instead start thinking of a plan rather than regretting the things that I have already done.

I sat on an empty chair and started thinking of things. Few minutes have passed before I have noticed the guy sitting across from me. I looked at him while my thoughts are swirling inside my head, no intention of straightening up soon.

It's normal for me to have the urge to talk to stranger, but I never really do it because of being shy or just because I don't know what to say. 

But this time, before I could think, my mouth opened and before I can stop, I heard my voice.

"Did you just arrive here, or are you leaving?" I asked the guy sitting in front of me. He looked at me, unsure whether he's the one I'm talking to.

I smiled at him.

"I'll be leaving. Just waiting for my flight to be called." he answered. 

He was wearing a blue sweater and a navy maong pants. Some of his hair are hiding his eyes, but his lean and tall body is so obvious even though he's sitting. 

I know now why I started talking to him: It's because when I look at him, I could see and feel that we are currently feeling the same things. 

Uncertainty, nervousness and the feeling of being scared of the unknown.

I started voicing my own thoughts. "It right? Not knowing what will happen, what step to take knowing that when you do take that little step, you can't go back --"

"But you have to face it whether it is good or bad." he finished for me.

We stared at each other for quite sometime thinking of our own problems, the future that no one can tell. Slowly, my thoughts cleared and I now know the things I have to do. As if he's reading my mind and knowing that I sorted out my own problem, the guy spoke and told me, 

"No matter what path you choose to take your step, just make sure that you're ready. If you ever did a mistake, don't think of going back, because you know yourself that you cannot undo what you have done."

"I know. If I made a mistake, I just have to think of a way to make it right, or to avoid doing it again."

More minutes have passed, and now, I am certain on what to do next. All I need is the courage to do it. Since talking to him, I realized that he doesn't look like a typical Korean. His eyes, the structure of his face.

"You're not Korean, aren't you?" I asked. I could see in his eyes that I caught him by surprise, but then there's something else on it. Did I scare him about my question?

"You can tell? How?"

"I don't know. I just can. You're definitely Asian but not Korean."

"I'm Chinese." He said with a smile.

"You are awfully good-looking." 

"Thank you."

Flight no. KE 855 to Beijing is now boarding.

"'That's me. Good luck to you" he said as he stood up and grabbed his bag. He smiled then started to walk away.

"Good luck to you too! And thank you!" I shouted at him. He stopped, turned back and looked at me.

"What's your name?"

"Eurie. You?"

"Huang ZiTao"

Nice meeting you. Huang ZiTao.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Comments are welcome. Criticisms are welcome with an open-mind, but please, do not bash or insult.

Suggestions are love <3