Songbird; my little bird

Songbird

 

It had been almost a full calendar month since Jonghyun had gotten paid in full for his newest radio jingle. He heard the tune almost every hour, on nearly every station he tuned in to, and he grinned every time he heard it.

For the duration of that month, the tiny songbird became a companion of sorts to him. He fed and talked and sang to him in the mornings, and brought him something special, be it a treat or even a small, shiny toy in the afternoon and he had his dinner outside with the bird, sharing parts of his meal.

The songbird is a picky eater.

Jonghyun had learned that it wasn't very fond of carrots.

The bird chirruped when addressed, and it had even taken to riding on Jonghyun's shoulder as he watered the plants on the outter edges of his backyard, tipping the watering can over and letting the water flow out.

This particular morning, the sun was bright (brighter than Jonghyun liked), and he could hear the birds singing, but he couldn't hear the familiar voice. The breeze was cool against his bare chest.

Hand cupped with bird feed, he padded out to the usual bird house and frowned deeply. "Little bird?"

Jonghyun emptied his palm into the bird house, and brushed it off on the back of his jeans, and that's when a very unfamiliar noise reached his ears.

A hefty tomcat was on the fence, tail flicking in clear annoyance by Jonghyun's presence in his own backyard. He yowled, gray-blue eyes angry.

"Are you the reason why little bird isn't out here?" Jonghyun snapped, advancing on the feline. "Get out of here, devil cat."

After a harsh wave of his hand after he was very close to the tabby, the tomcat scrambled away, hissing loudly.

"That's right, run away." Jonghyun snorted, oddly triumphant, "Maybe if he's gone, you'll come back, yeah?"

After the words left his lips, another unfamiliar sound fell against his ears, and he felt his heart leap out of his chest and into his throat and head and onto the ing grass.

"How could I come back, when I'm right here?"

Jonghyun spun around then, looking up at the most beautiful boy he had ever seen in his life, sitting in one of his trees, thighs spread around the thick branch. He was all pale blonde hair and honeyed skin, and sharp eyes and bow lips that made his ing knees weak.

"Excuse me?" Jonghyun managed to whisper, because he found that his voice was gone, and it cracked on the simple sentence.

His hands shook.

"I'm right here, Jonghyun." The boy laughed, and Jonghyun felt the world grow brighter.

The boy slipped from the branch and easily landed on his feet.

He was perfection.

When he was nearing closer, Jonghyun had the right mind to nearly throw an old afghan at him, "Please, please cover yourself with this."

Shock framed his delicate face, but the boy wrapped the blanket that smelled heavily of sunshine and grass, around his shoulders until it draped to the ground, covering his creamy skin.

Jonghyun's mouth was dry.

"Who are you?"

"Well, who do you think I am?" He replied, and a small smirk fell against his mouth.

Jonghyun could tell that his hip was cocked, even though his form was covered by the thick blanket.

"I don't know that's why I asked." Jonghyun was growing a little panicked by now, and his eyes grew wide.

"I'm..." The boy started, and then quieted, staring at the grass. And suddenly, he was scared, or at least he thought he was. He hadn't really ever felt the emotion of sincere fear before.

He scared that if he told Jonghyun, he wouldn't want him to be there, standing in front of him, in his back yard at nine in the morning on a Wednesday.

He decided that he didn't like the emotion of fear very much.

"I'm your little bird."

The fact that the boys voice was soft, and so vulnerable, threatened to break Jonghyun's heart.

"W-what do you mean?"

Color flooded to his face, and he had to get this out quickly, "Your mom used to tell you stories about the birds that sang to you really being angels in disguise. And I know that you still believe her, because you askedme for help. So I helped you. You asked me if I was your angel."

Jonghyun wasn't sure if he was dreaming, because if he was, this was one ing vivid dream.

"You're... an angel?" He spoke slowly, processing.

"That's right." Technically.

"And you're also a bird."

"No."

"I thought you said--"

"I can't be a bird, if I'm going to watch over you like this. In this body." He smiled, and curled his bare toes against the grass. It was soft against his skin. The sun was warm on the blanket that transfered to his shoulders. Heat felt different against skin, instead of beating down on feathers.

"What's your name?"

"Kibum."

"Do you... want to come inside, Kibum?" Jonghyun asked, head tilting to one side. "I could get you something to eat."

And maybe some clothes.

The way his name rolled off of Jonghyun's tongue made his legs a little weak.

Kibum felt relief flood through him at the fact that his Jonghyun didn't deny him, even though he wasn't small and chirping for his attention.

"Of course."

--

The leaves were changing color on the trees, and Jonghyun brought in an orange and brilliantly red leaf into the house, and he set it on Kibum's forehead as he slept.

It had been exactly one month since Kibum jumped from that tree.

"Little Bird..." Jonghyun whispered, smirking as his face screwed up into an irritated expression he had grown so fond of. "Wake up..."

"What?" Kibum groaned, and cracked open his eyes.

He was face to face with Jonghyun, and he felt his face heat even though he hated to admit that he was flushed from head to toe.

"It's the first day of Autumn."

"Is it?" Kibum reached up and took the leaf from his forehead and examined the spine, the spindle-like fingers that stretched out across it.

"Happy first day of Autumn, Little Bird."

Lips against lips and Kibum thought that his heart was going to jump out of his chest. His slender fingers curled around Jonghyun's strong jaw and he tilted his head like he always wanted to do, and deepened their kiss.

It was the first day of Autumn, which was Kibum's favorite season.

And his first kiss was magical.

--

Observing himself in the full length mirror in Jonghyun's bedroom, Kibum tugged at the legs of his borrowed jeans, and then frowned at his relflection.

It had been four months, and Jonghyun still hadn't gotten around to buying Kibum his own pair of jeans, so they settled with sharing, which the older didn't mind.

It had taken a little bit of adjusting to the once bird, still angel, living in his house with him.

Being honest with himself, Jonghyun was still getting used to the idea.

It was surreal.

"I never knew that you were this short when I was a bird." Kibum smirked in his direction on the bed, glancing at the boy in the relflection who was on the bed, strumming a guitar idly.

"Don't complain about my short legs if you wanna keep wearing my clothes." Jonghyun snorted, but a grin betrayed his words.

"Your arms are pretty short too." Kibum grinned right back at him, feline features happy.

"Maybe your limbs are too long," The older, shaggy haired man rolled his eyes, and set his guitar aside on the sheets.

Kibum turned then, and his arms were crossed over his chest, "Angels are perfect. I thought you knew this."

Oh, I do.

You're perfect, Little Bird.

"You're a little too cocky for this early in the morning." Jonghyun smirked instead, and he kept his thoughts to himself.

"What are you talking about? I'm always this cocky." He returned the smirk, "Plus, it's noon."

--

"It's not going to taste bad, Kibum." Jonghyun grinned at the youngers expression, quirked lips and raised brows, and his face was covered in uncertanity.

Kibum watched the icecream cone as if it would hurt him.

"Well, it doesn't look like it would be very good..." He muttered, but watched Jonghyun at his own, and he really did look like he was enjoying it.

"Just eat it." Jonghyun chuckled and rolled his eyes, off his index finger and then he wiped it on his jeans.

"Well, what kind is it?" Kibum was still hesitant.

"You mean what flavor? I got you strawberry."

"Oh." Kibum brightened at that. "I like strawberries."

"I know." He laughed again, finishing off his own cone, and it crunched between his teeth, although he found that it didn't have much flavor.

Taking a cautious , Kibum's expression changed from nervous to wide and dramatic. His eyes were wide, perfect lips open. "It's cold!"

"It's called ice cream, Little Bird. What did you expect?" Jonghyun snorted with his loud laughter, and he rested his hands on the bright green, plastic table of the small ice cream parlor. "Did you think it was gonna be hot?"

"Well," Kibum snapped, eyes narrowing again, "No. But I wasn't expecting that."

From this day on, Kibum loved ice cream, and it always reminded him of the fact that they were together for six months that day.

Six whole months.

Six months of 'little bird' and trying new things.

It was perfect.

--

During the summer months, Jonghyun cracked his bedroom window open to let a small breeze in, especially when he slept. As sweat cooled on his , between his shoulder blades, he swallowed past his rough throat, unused from sleep.

He scrubbed the heels of his hands against his eyes and then realized that the spot on the bed next to him was empty.

Usually just the sounds of the birds songs reached his ears through the open window, but as he rolled onto his back and listened, he heard a very familiar voice come from his backyard.

Fingers scratched at the dark trail of hair that disappeared into his boxers, and Jonghyun slipped out of bed and pulled on yesterdays jeans.

He opened his door and walked out into the living room.

The house was quiet.Jonghyun opened the sliding door and stepped out onto his porch, bare feet against the cold concrete. It was cool even in the summer, under the shade.

And when Jonghyun saw Kibum, he swore that he had never been in love until now.

He had never witnessed anything so damn /undeniably/ perfect.

Hair the color of the sun that warmed Kibum’s bare, slender shoulders, he sat in a patch of the overgrown grass below Jonghyun’s window.

He was singing.

Although Jonghyun couldn’t make out the words, only mumbled lyrics and a beautiful voice, he listened.

It was like watching a sunset.

It was like getting a good nights sleep.

It was like… Falling in love.

Seven months, it took to admit to himself, even though Jonghyun knew he loved that little bird ever since the day he first sang to him in the sunlight.

--

Thighs straddling a thick branch of the large tree, Kibum reached down and grasped the neck of the caramel colored guitar, raising it up where it could settle safely in his lap.

“You got her?” Jonghyun asked, hesitant as he hoisted himself to a low branch.

“Nope, I dropped her.” Kibum replied dryly, but grinned. His long fingers smoothed down her body, over the curves of the wood.

“You’re hilarious.” He snorted as he jumped and pulled himself up to the branch that Kibum was seated on. “Alrighty, pass her to me.”

“You sure? You’re not going to fall?”

Jonghyun wanted to smack that smirk from his lips.

Or kiss him until he forgot how to be so damn cocky.“Yeah, hand her over.” He smiled and gave a heavy roll of his eyes.

The world seemed so different at six in the morning before the sun rose to cover them in light.

“I wrote you a song.” Jonghyun scratched at the side of his nose absently, suddenly nervous and a little shy. He studied the rough bark of the branch between his thighs.

“One that isn’t a cheesy jingle?” Kibum gave him a sly grin, obviously flattered, and nudged his foot with his own.

“I only write stupid jingles for the money.” He quirked a smile as he positioned his fingers on the correct chords.

Kibum quieted as he listened and his features softened and he regarded Jonghyun with complete adoration, and all he could do was listen to his voice (which Kibum decided was the most flawless thing in all the Heavens and the earth), and the lyrics left him breathless.

Little Bird, you are the waves of the wind, the peaks of the mountains,

You are the sun,

The moon,

And the stars above

Unable to find the words or will to speak, Kibum leaned forward rather abruptly and he kissed Jonghyun hard on the mouth and his cold fingers twined in his hair.

Gasping against Kibum’s pert lips, Jonghyun’s grip on the neck of his guitar went slack and he could see the sun rising in the background.

Their kiss quickly turned heated and rough and Jonghyun was sure that he was going to pass out from lack of oxygen, so he pulled back.

Kibum always looked beautiful when he was this breathless.

“I’m so in love with you, Kibum.”

My Little Bird.

He saw dark color flush against Kibum’s high cheeks.

“I love you too, Jonghyun.” He whispered and they leaned in at the same time and same rate, tips of their noses pressing together before their mouths connected, slow and without rush this time.

Jonghyun wondered if during these last eleven months, if he had been in Heaven.

But he decided no, because even Heaven wasn’t better than this.

 

A/N: here it is! :D the second installment of my three shot. I really hope everyone is enjoying it so far. And I decided to update on Sunday rather than Saturday because I'll be busy all day Saturday. :P Thank you for reading and thank you for all the comments~~~ <3 :3