Over and Over... [Drabble]

Over and Over... [Drabble]

 

“Again.” Zhou Mi said. It wasn't a shout, it wasn't at all louder than his normal speech, but all of the performers cringed at the implications that laced the single word. It was a single word, no louder than normal speech, but it was an order...and to disobey Zhou Mi's order was as good as a death sentence.
 
He wouldn't kill you. No, that wasn't his style. 
 
No, instead, the deranged ringleader would close the door to the trailer with you outside, your money, safety and everything you own just beyond the lock. He will leave you out and not even look to his feet as you crawl looking for water. They are the freaks, you see, and Zhou Mi is the only one who will keep them...keep them if they obey, that is. 
 
“Again.” The word is spoken mere moments after everyone finishes their acts for the sixth time that night. At the simple word, they run through their individual routines once again. 
 
There is Yesung, the snake handler. He can hear an invisible audience 'ooh' as he coaxes his snake to slither up his arm. He allows it to tangle itself around his torso and neck, adding choking sound effects for a nice touch. However, he held a harmless snake that had even had its fangs removed. But the audience wouldn't know that. He fell to his knees as the snake tightened slightly around his neck, dragging his fingernails against the wooden stage in mock struggle. He chokes out a rough “Stop,” and the snake loosens immediately to twist itself around his arm again, hissing as it moves. 
 
Ryeowook was stationed next to him, the glass walker. At Zhou Mi's word, he took a quick breath and picked up another beer bottle that had been sanitized personally by himself. He went through his monologue, preaching about how dangerous and stupid it is of him, that one wrong step could send him tumbling into a pile of smashed glass. He added punctuation to his speech by smashing the beer bottle into the already present line of shattered glass. He took a breath before he took a step, his bare feet causing the glass to adjust under his weight. He took another step, adding facial expressions to add to the suspense. In reality he felt nothing; well, maybe a slight poke here or there, but nothing worth wincing about. He made it to the end of the line of the shattered rainbow of glass, and jumped up and down for effect before crossing, again. 
 
Then there was Kangin, the only performer with an assistant, Leeteuk. Kangin lied back gently against the bed of nails he made himself. He could feel each nail poke his back as he adjusted himself, wincing for a show, much like Ryeowook—he had made this bed; he knew how to master it. He nodded to Leeteuk, who stood to his side in a skimpy outfit, holding a large hammer. He held the hammer above his head as he placed one foot on Kangin's chest. Leeteuk looked to the invisible audience, but kept the corner of his eye on Kangin as he placed his other foot on Kangin's hip. After a moment, he made a show of jumping off before he picked up the gray cinder block that had been waiting and placed it on Kangin's stomach. In one swift motion, Leeteuk made quick eye contact with Kangin, smiled at the imaginary audience, and smashed the hammer against the cinder block. Kangin let out a grunt at the impact, but got to his feet quickly, taking Leeteuk's hand as they bowed. 
 
After Kangin was Kyuhyun, the sword swallower. Zhou Mi announced, “again,” and he groaned. He knew how to handle his tools of the trade; however, he was a bit superstitious. The more often you shove a sword down your throat and bow at once, the more likely you are to get lazy and therefore sloppy. And by sloppy, he meant bloody. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and took a breath before plunging his favorite blade, Sasha, down his throat for the sixth time that day. He widened his eyes and bent at the waist, eying the audience that would be there the next day. Kyuhyun twisted at his hinge and could hear the gasps that were sure to come. With an audience, he would call someone on stage to be ready to pull the sword out of his throat; however, for practice, he simply righted himself and pulled the sword out swiftly and painlessly. 
 
Last in this contrasting group of misfits, was Sungmin, the fire breather. He took a quick sip of water before lighting both ends of his metal torch on fire. He eyed his imaginary audience, holding the long torch out in front of him, on display. In an instant, his torch was flying gracefully through the air, grazing his clothes, but never catching. He finally came to a sharp stop, torch held behind him as he leaned towards his audience slightly, piercing them with a sharp gaze. He slowly, but consciously brought his torch to his face, blowing one end out before tossing it in the air and catching it just so the lit end was on top. It was then he took a swig of the lamp oil he kept close. He eyed his crowd, again, before turning to the side and spiting a large plume of fire into the air. 
 
“Again.” Zhou Mi announced as there was a lull in the performances. He eyed each one of his performers, making sure none of them were slacking or disobeying. 
 
After about the tenth run through, Zhou Mi allowed the performers to go to their trailers to rest for the real performance the next day. 
 
“I want to leave here.” Sungmin whispered hoarsely as he walked closely with Kyuhyun. He spoke so only the younger could hear; he didn't need anyone to report him to Zhou Mi.
 
“What are you talking about, Sungmin?” Kyuhyun asked back gently. He patted Sungmin's back as the elder went into a coughing fit. 
 
“You know what I'm talking about. Ten times was a light practice, Kyu. He's torturing us for his own greed.” Sungmin whispered after his coughing subsided. The lamp oil he used in his performance wasn't harmful so long as it isn't swallowed, but after practicing ten times in a row, it is almost inevitable that he would swallow some. 
 
“I know.” Kyuhyun sighed, letting his hand rest on Sungmin's lower back. 
 
“Do you think we could run?” Sungmin asked, another coughing fit following immediately after. 
 
Kyuhyun shook his head with a long sigh as he rubbed Sungmin's back. “You remember what happened when...when they tried before.”
 
Kyuhyun faltered, but Sungmin knew exactly whom the younger was referring to—Donghae and Eunhyuk. They had been a pair of performers, Donghae the assistant to the human pin cushion. They had tried to leave, but when they realized the world was a harsher place then they assumed, they came running back. Only Zhou Mi waited for them with nothing but a sly smirk and a locked door. 
 
As they had no where else to go, the pair of performers tried desperately to survive with the band of sideshow misfits; however, found no sympathy from the other performers. Zhou Mi had forced them into a silent indifference towards the deserting pair—if anyone was to so much as speak to either of the two, they would be left to fight for survival along side them. 
 
The two never stood a chance, slowly withering away as they tried to travel with the show. 
 
“I still want to run away, Kyu.” Sungmin mumbled, his voice more hoarse than before. 
 
“We can't, Sungmin. It will only be worse for us out there. You know this.” Kyuhyun said, gently but sternly.
 
Sungmin walked with his head down until they reached their trailer door. 
 
“I know...” Sungmin finally responded as Kyuhyun opened the trailer door and pushed on his lower back to guide him in. 
 
“You will tell me another story about escaping before bed, through, right?” Sungmin asked, turning to face Kyuhyun.
 
Kyuhyun placed his index finger in front of his lips, before smiling as he closed the door behind himself. “Of course, I will.”
 
The next morning, each performer took their stage and shocked the audience into a gasping mass. This was how it went for the next week, before Zhou Mi announced that they were to switch cities, again— there was always new money in a new location. 
 
It is in this new city we find them, each on their section of the stage, each prepared with their specific tools of choice—Zhou Mi making up an imaginary audience.
 
“Again.” Zhou Mi hissed out.