Chapter One

SMTown Adventures

I couldn’t look away. His hair, his eyes, his everything was too angelic, too y, too perfect. I stared in awe at the slight pull of his lips and the way his mouth sat in a half endearing, half enticing kind of smile. He lifted his hand to lightly cup my face, so light, that in fact he wasn’t even making skin to skin contact. But still, I could feel the slight tingle as he held his palm so close, the buzz making me want to close my eyes in anticipation.

“Can’t you see that I only see you? That I only want you.” He whispered in a half rasp that made me wish his words were true. “Huh?” I gurgled incomprehensively. He repeated the sentence, his eyes tightening just the slightest, not enough to be recognizable of course. But again words confounded me, as I let out yet another muffled “Huh?”

“CUT!” The director yelled, snapping me out of my ordeal. Choi Siwon dropped his hand and immediately walked off set, while I was scolded yet again by the director. “Lee Joon Hwa, do I really need to tell you again?” His arms were folded across his chest and his eyebrows were pulled down in a frown. “All you have to do is look away and then leave set. Okay? You don’t even need to open your mouth.”

I scuffed my foot like a child. Did he really need to speak to me like that? I was an adult of course. To be honest, I didn’t know why I was here. My acting skills were pretty much zero and the only reason I landed the job was because my parents wanted me to be more like my cousin Sunny of Girls Generation. My uncle Lee Soo Man had objected stating that it was impossible to train somebody as uncoordinated as me, and to be honest, I was completely with him on the decision. But my parents wouldn’t hear of it and pushed for this small walk on role.

I was supose to be playing the main characters first love, who breaks his heart and leaves him for another man. But so far, I had failed in all corners. I mumbled a quick apology and waited to be dismissed. The director just sighed and walked away, leaving to catch up with the other cast members.

***

 

I stormed up the stairs and punched the elevator button, ignoring the pain that now throbbed in my poor little fist. That uncle of mine was in for an ear full once I reached his office. No way was I going back to that place, no way was I going to be scolded again by that old man, and no way was I going to embarrass myself in front of Siwon-sunbaenim again. I tapped my foot as I waited for the elevator to ‘ding’ and let me in.

My eyes widened as the doors slid open and the person who hated me the most in the world filled my vision. I immediately stood to the side, bowing ninety-degrees as she stepped out of the elevator with Hyoyeon and Sooyoung Unnie, laughing just that little bit louder to best ignore me. My cousin hated me. Whether it was because of my natural double eyelids or simply because she could, I wasn’t sure. But one thing I did know, was that , no matter what I said or did, Lee Soon-Kyu would never accept me.

I waited for them to leave before stepping into the elevator and pressing the top floor button

The elevator wasn’t empty. If it was, I don’t think I would’ve been so calm. I wanted to punch the wall, stomp my feet, or at least scream a little. I loved my cousin, she was strong, independent and successful. I looked up to her in every aspect, and still she hated me. Sighing I resigned myself to slumping against the wall and watching the numbers roll up. “Rough day?” the other person asked. A plain black cap and hooded jersey covered them from my view, but judging from the voice he was obviously male.

“You could say that.” I mumbled, stopping the conversation before it even had a chance to start. I wasn’t in the mood for small talk, and was pretty sure this person was just using me as a time consumer. But before I even had time to glimpse his face, the double doors slid open and released him from my view. I thought I heard him say something, but was cut off from asking before the doors simultaneously closed and the elevator continued on it’s way.

***

My uncle was not impressed. But neither was he surprised. “I told your parents, didn’t I tell your parents.” he spoke to the ceiling. I lounged on his black leather sofa squishing his stress ball into oblivion. “I don’t know why they push you into these things? Heck I don’t even know why I allow them to push me into these things.” He continued. “Can’t we just say, the director wanted to go another way, or something?” I asked half-pleadingly. He observed me for a second before sighing. “I doubt that would work. Most likely it would heighten their resolve for your unwanted success.” He rubbed his temples stress clearly written on his face. “Yah! Who said I don’t want success!? Show them to me.” I said pounding the happy face into the coffee table. Right now, the two of us were only fuelling each others emotions. It happened whenever we spent too long together.

“Stop over reacting. And be a little more respectful would you, I’m still your elder.” He typed away at his computer while transferring some files to his cell phone before turning back to me and saying. “Don’t worry, I think I have the perfect solution. Now go and get me something to eat.” I left his office with a ten thousand pound rock in my stomach. Somehow, I knew I was going to regret opening my mouth.