Wait For White Day

Hey, Boys! Do You Think I'm Pretty?
Heejin has never seemed more excited in her life. After school, when Hyosonn went to work, everyone else met up at Heejin's house to plan.
 
"Alright guys, listen up!" Heejin shouted at the crowd of friends seated in her living room. Her friends. "This is the plan. Our targets: Kim Hyosonn and Yoon Doojoon. Our deadline: White Day, which is a week from now. Our mission: Get these two lovebirds to admit their feelings for each other!"
 
"Why White Day?" Yoseob asked. Heejin glared at him. He sighed and raised his hand.
 
"Yes, Yoseob?" She asked primly.
 
"Why White Day?"
 
"It's romantic," Yanggae said. Heejin nodded, looking pleased.
 
"It shouldn't be that hard," Dongwoon said, somehow managing to look bored and amused at the same time. "I mean, Doojoon's liked her for like two months. I don't know about Hyosonn, but I think she's been having feelings for Doojoon for a while and just never knew about it."
 
"But we shouldn't make it too obvious," Myungdae spoke up. Heejin threw her hands into the air.
 
"This is a meeting! Raise your goddamn hands if you have something to say, like diplomatic policitians!"
 
Junhyung snorted. "Have you ever SEEN those ing politicians! They'd get into a ing fistfight faster than they can raise their hands."
 
"You watch politicians?" Heejin remarked. Junhyung flushed red. "Shut the up. It's interesting."
 
"No, no, it's ... hot." Heejin smirked.
 
Kikwang and Myungdae mimed gagging. Junhyung threw a cushion at them.
 
"Okay, so how do you suggest we do this?" Hyunseung asked calmly. "I mean, we're not exactly subtle. They'll know something is up."
 
"Does it matter?" Yeunja asked, blowing a bubble with her bubble gum and popping it loudly. "I mean, they both like each other. Just get them to kiss and they'll do the rest."
 
Everyone snickered. 
 
Heejin frowned. "Nah, you never know. If they think we're trying to push them together, they might get cold feet and we'll never see them as a couple before the year is over."
 
"Why are you all so ing into playing matchmaker?" Junhyung demanded. Heejin glared at her boyfriend. "It's partly YOUR fault, you know!"
 
"Huh?" Junhyung faltered and stared. "What? Why?"
 
"Never mind," Heejin snapped, turning away from him huffily.
 
Junhyung turned to his friends and looked at them, bewildered, as if to say What the did I DO?!
 
Everyone began talking at once, all having different ideas on what they should do. Finally, Myungdae jumped up and yelled, "ALL OF YOU SHUT UP ALREADY! How the hell are we supposed to decide if we can't even HEAR each other speak?!"
 
"Why, you got a plan?" Yoseob shot at him.
 
"Um, I think I do," Yanggae said quietly. Everyone suddenly stopped to stare at her.
 
"Let's hear it, dongsaeng," Yeunja said, looking interested. Yanggae was shy from the attention, but managed to spit it out anyway. "I-I mean, we could ... we could start small. You know, just drop hints. About their looks, or personality, or something. Then they'll start to realize it."
 
"That's not bad," Dongwoon said approvingly. "We could mention how they might get stolen by someoen else or whatever. Get some people jealous."
 
"Yeah, we can start with that." Meeyon smiled at Yeunja to encourage her, Kikwang's arm around her waist. Nothing too risky, though, not with Myungdae standing protectively nearby.
 
************
 
The next day, everyone acted perfectly normal in front of Hyosonn and Doojoon. Which, of course, meant they were acting pretty darn suspicious. 
 
As they hung out and chatted before school started, Hyunseung was standing next to Doojoon. This seemed normal at first, but Hyunseung casually said, "Hyosonn's turning rather pretty, isn't she."
 
"Huh?" Doojoon started and stared at his ice friend.
 
"We did a good job. She's starting to look a lot prettier." Hyunseung paused, then slyly added, "I think that Kwon Dongjun from our class has his eye on her."
 
Doojoon felt his ribcage contract around his organs, but kept his face neutral. "Really? That assh -- er, that kid who made his ex-girlfriend cry when he dumped her?"
 
"Yeah, something like that." Hyunseung shrugged uncaringly. He had a much better poker face than Doojoon. "I'm sure he'll be nicer to Hyosonn if they start dating."
 
Doojoon clenched his hands into fists. The thought made him mad, but he still felt suspicious. He was pretty certain Kwon Dongjun never looked once at Hyosonn before. "What makes you think he likes her?"
 
"He stares at her a lot in our class," Hyunseung said, lying quickly. "And he always wants to be with her for group projects."
 
Doojoon gritted his teeth, but didn't say anything else. He had a feeling Hyunseung wasn't telling the truth, but he still wanted to find Kwon Dongjun and punch him so hard his teeth will bleed.
 
****************
 
Turns out, when it came to making Hyosonn jealous, Heejin and the girls didn't even need to do anything.
 
Park Changsook did it all by herself.
 
Heejin originally planned to drag Hyosonn away for a "girl's lunch day" with the others, and then name a whole bunch of girls who would gladly vomit three litres of blood to date Doojoon.
 
Then Changsook arrived.
 
"Well, well, well, look who it is," she sneered, as a group of her Sook-Drones came dutifully behind her. "Weird Girl and her loser, freakish friends!" Obviously, she had gotten over her fear and seemed to think Hyosonn wouldn't do any harm.
 
"Back off, !" Yeunja snapped.
 
"Says the fallen queenka," one of the Sook-Drones snickered, in a lame attempt at offending her. Yeunja rolled her eyes and looked at the others, as if to say "Can you believe that girl?"
 
Unfortunately, the Sook-Drones took Yeunja's silence as humiliation, and they giggled some more.
 
"What makes you think ANY of the kingkas want to hang out with you guys?" Changsook sneered. 
 
"Uhh, let me think!" Heejin growled, her temper flaring. "Maybe because one of them is my ing BOYFRIEND?!!!"
 
"I don't think they'd hang out with us so much if they didn't actually like us," Yanggae said quietly. Changsook opened , then looked angry when she realized she couldn't really say anything against that. Yeunja looked like she was bursting with pride.
 
"We should go," Hyosonn said brightly, but Heejin could tell she was looking at Changsook with hate. "It's kinda starting to smell in here."
 
Meeyon snickered quietly, and Changsook glared at them.
 
"You all think you're so funny," she huffed. "But you wait until I get in the good books with those kingkas. I'll make sure you can never hold your head up in Cube High again!"
 
"Huh," Heejin said. "What makes you think they'll want to hang out with YOU?"
 
Changsook tossed back her perfect hair. "Who wouldn't?" She smirked. "I'll just flirt with Doojoon for a while, and I'll be put right in their inner circle. Doojoon's, like, their leader or something."
 
Heejin, Meeyon, Yeunja, and Yanggae all froze, staring at Hyosonn, who wasn't even pretending to smile anymore. She looked thunderous.
 
"Doojoon isn't their LEADER," she said through gritted teeth, hands curling into fists. "Beast doesn't need a stupid leader! They're friends, not some stupid clique! And for that matter, there's NO way Doojoon would EVER go for some as vain and shallow and AWFUL as you!"
 
There was silence, and some of the Sook-Drones looked shocked rather than angered. Heejin had a feeling nobody ever called Changsook out on her negative aspects.
 
"W-well ..." Changsook spluttered, seemingly unsure of what to say to that. "Well, you are ugly! And too boyish! What, do you think Doojoon would like you?"
 
Hyosonn's face hardened, but Heejin could see she was hurt by that. Heejin's temper reared its head.
 
"You better shut your mouth, you painted !" She hissed at Changsook. "If you must know, Doojoon does like her!"
 
Changsook narrowed her eyes at Heejin. "Oh, really?"
 
"That's right!" Yeunja insisted. "In fact, he's going to confess to her on White Day! So too bad, you're a bit late."
 
Changsook glared at them all, as if trying to tell if they were lying or not.
 
"It's true," Meeyon said smugly, as Yanggae nodded firmly next to her. "He's planning some super-sweet confession. With ribbons and flowers and chocolate and everything."
 
Changsook and his Sook-Drones were wordless. For that matter, Hyosonn seemed pretty wordless too. 
 
"Well, bye," Heejin said, flashing them a winning smile as she dragged Hyosonn away.
 
"W-why did you guys say that?" Hyosonn stammered, cheeks beginning to turn pink. "T-that wasn't --"
 
Heejin suddenly stopped and spun around to glare at her. "Girl, you're my bestie, but sometimes you are such a freaking idiot!"
 
"What's that supposed to mean?" Hyosonn asked defensively.
 
"I mean, you need to stop being so unsure of yourself!" Heejin snapped, hands on her hips. "That's not the Hyosonn I know. The Hyosonn I know takes every challenge head-on and tells it to screw itself! What happened to the girl who jumped off the roof because she wanted to see if she could fly? Or the girl who managed to cross an entire soccer field by herself and face all the enemies to score the winning goal in fifth grade? Or the girl who almost went on a fifteen-hour video game spree to beat the final boss in the game! What happened then?"
 
"That was different," Hyosonn muttered, looking embarrassed. "This isn't a game, or a war on Xbox."
 
"Dummy!" Yeunja scoffed and knocked her over the head. "Of course it is. Love is a war, and if you don't take the challenge, you don't do ."
 
Hyosonn pouted, trying her manhwa eyes. "But it's hard. Have you guys ever done that before?"
 
"Sure," Meeyon said, shrugging.
 
"Plenty of times," Yeunja added.
 
"What, don't tell me you think the guy asked your unnie out every single time," Heejin snickered.
 
Hyosonn thought it over for a long time after that.
 
*****************
 
Doojoon's cell phone rang. He expected it to be one of Beast, so he was surprised to find it was Yeunja.
 
"Heejin? What's up? What happened?" He felt a slight panic. "Did something happen to Hyosonn?"
 
"Er, no," Heejin's voice said hesitantly. "But, uh ... we kinda told Park Changsook you were going to confess to Hyosonn on White Day."
 
"WHAAATT??!!!"
 
"Just thought you should know, in case you need to start planning early. Okay, bye!" She hung up.
 
"GOD DAMMIT, HEEJIN!"
 
****************
 
Doojoon and Hyosonn didn't know what to say to each other. Every time they looked at each other, they turned red and started to stammer like idiots, before quickly turning away.
 
Of course, the others found this hilarious. But White Day was coming up, and neither of them seemed to be able to make a decision.
 
"Should we just shove their faces together and hope they just start kissing?" Kikwang muttered.
 
"I don't know if that would be worse or better," Yoseob said, looking irritated as Doojoon and Hyosonn once again looked away from each other, both seemingly too awkward to do anything else.
 
"At least they'll stop doing ... THIS," Kikwang argued back. "It's driving me up the wall."
 
Myungdae and Meeyon peeked over at Changsook's queenka table, where she kept glancing at Doojoon. "They better do it soon," Myungdae said quietly. "Looks like Queen is planning on making a move."
 
Hyunseung gave Doojoon a look, as if daring him to just say something. Doojoon gave him a look in return, then quickly shook his head.
 
Doojoon was waiting. For White Day? Hyunseung could have groaned. Good god, he really was a romantic.
 
***************
 
"Aren't you going to do something?" Yeunja hissed to Hyosonn as they were walking back from lunch. "Queen is gonna try and take Doojoon. You gotta do something before that!"
 
Hyosonn hesitated, then shook her head. "Just ... just wait. I'll think of something."
 
Yeunja stared at her in disbelief as Hyosonn walked away.
 
"Dammit, what is everyone WAITING for?" She groaned under her breath as she spun on her heel and walked in the other direction.
 
************
 
Doojoon was so caught up in his own thoughts he didn't even notice he bumped into Hyosonn as he was heading home.
 
"Ah, sorry, I --" he realized who it was and turned pink. "Uhh, h-hey."
 
"Hey," Hyosonn murmured, looking nervous.
 
They stared at each other for a moment, not sure what to say. Doojoon opened his mouth. "Hyosonn, I --"
 
"Wait!" Hyosonn blurted out, blushing. Doojoon's never seen her that red before. His heart leapt. Did she feel something for him? He couldn't believe it. But ... was there a chance ...?
 
"What is it?"
 
"If ... if you have anything ... to say ..." Hyosonn was staring firmly at the ground, cheeks red, but her voice was strong. "Wait until White Day. Because ... because I have something to tell you ... then. So, um, just wait until White Day, to, um, talk."
 
Before he could say anything else, she ran off.
 
Doojoon stared at her dumbly. White Day ... White Day ...
 
"!" He hissed, racing home. He had a lot of planning to do.