1 - Let it begin

The Princess and the Player

You narrowed your eyes at no one in particular as you pressed the phone closer to your ear. The weather was wonderful for a late spring evening, the wind gently hiking up your navy blue floral dress and hitting your bare legs. You mentally reprimanded yourself for wearing a pair of simple white flats instead of some warm boots.

 

"Don't be upset, ______. Its only a few months, kiddo."  Your brother murmured soothingly, his voice cracking through the static of your cell phone's reception.

 

A groan escaped your lips and you clenched tighter onto your iPhone. "This is so unfair, Oppa! Only a few months? That's my entire summer, Myungsoo!"

 

You heard him sigh before replying. "Listen, if I could get out of here and come visit you I would but-"

 

"You can't." You finished for him, softly. "I know you would, Oppa, you're just too busy working your off."

 

He chuckled and you smiled."Sorry for getting so worked up, Myung, I just don't want to be alone for another summer." Myungsoo's silence mad your heart hurt, knowing that the reason for it was his self-hating for leaving you alone for so long. "But I'm okay," You quickly threw in, not wanting for him to think you were sad. "I'll get a job and make friends and-"

 

"______, pabo." He chuckled again, making you smile once more. "We both know you at making friends. This is all my fault, kiddo. I should be there with you, since mom and dad can't. Instead our whole family is split into four, each one of us in a different country for business, leaving the baby all on her own."

 

You pouted. "Yah, I'm not a baby."

 

"Pabo." He repeated again. "Yah, ______ I have to take a call right now, but text me when you get home alright? Don't stay out too late."

 

You nodded, even though there was no way he could possibly see it. "Okay Myung, love you."

 

"Yeah, yeah." He muttered, letting his shy personality surface before hanging up.

 

You rolled your eyes and giggled, placing your phone into your purse as you continued your walk down the nearly empty sidewalk. The sky was mimicking your mood, almost completely dark but still had a hint of light. You bit your lip, looking down as you walked. Both your parents were very successful as heads of two different companies and maintained their positions in cooperate buildings. One resided in the States while the other stayed in Tokyo. Your brother, Myungsoo, was also in a very high position for an entirely different company and was currently living in England and worked in the international branch that was built in Manchester. Although you all didn't see very much of each other, the three of them took every opportunity they possibly could to call or visit you, and you loved them for it, but it still wasn't the same as seeing each other everyday and there was no denying the fact that you were indeed lonely.

 

It was sad, to be honest. Every summer since you were 11, you've spent on your own. Your parents never really worried about you much, they knew you were a strong girl and was able to take care of yourself, especially with your maids and butlers around to take extra care of you when you needed it. You brother, however, was able to see right through you. The two of you were pretty close, and you felt comfortable telling him whatever came to your mind. He knew you had a serious lack of social skills, and therefore took on the burden of worrying about your happiness without kids your age to be around.

 

You were rather brilliant for a 16 year old, successfully finishing your homeschooling a year prior, and was now academically ready for the college life. You decided that you may be academically ready to take on such a level of education, but in no way were you mentally prepared to be around people that were year and years older than you when you can barely talk to little kids. Its not that you didn't like people nor that you just don't want to get close to them, it was simply that you were far to quiet and reserved, not to mention pure. Other kids assumed you were just being snobby, not wanting to be in the presence of those who weren't as privileged as you, but that wasn't the case at all.

 

Suddenly you walked into something hard and felt yourself tumbling backwards. You squealed, preparing yourself for the fall before you felt two arms wrap themselves around you, pulling you back up into the same hard surface. Gulping, you looked up into the eyes of the one who grabbed you. His eyes were darker than that the night that surrounded you, contrasting greatly against his platinum blond curls. You felt your throat close up as your stare remained locked with his, stunned.

 

His arms slowly unwrapped from your waist, and he stepped back, his eyes never leaving yours. You watched as his smooth lips parted, wondering what kind of sweet voice your savior would hav-

 

"Idiot." He muttered, somewhat harshly.

 

You snapped out of your daydream, feeling as though someone had slapped you. From one word you could tell that although he was beautiful, he had quite an ugly personality. "I'm s-sorry, what?"

 

His eyes narrowed before traveling down to your lips for a mere second before flashing back up to your eyes. "Someone who doesn't pay attention to where they're going shouldn't be roaming around the streets. Isn't it passed your bed time?" He sneered, condescendingly.

 

Your eyes widened, unsure of how to reply to this rude yet attractive stranger. You slowly begin hating the part of you that is socially handicapped, depriving you from the cool comebacks that the girls from all the good dramas on television make during a time like this. Instead you simply gazed up at him like a puppy that's been kicked.

 

"S-sorry!" You managed, tearing your eyes away from his before running passed him, scurrying down the sidewalk to one of the cafe's down by one of the more crowded areas of the city, where you told your driver to pick you up. After running for what seemed like hours (but was actually a good five minutes), you slowly came to a stop, letting out a breath of relief as your eyes rested upon the sign of the cute cafe you've become so familiar with. You looked at your watch, internally grinning when you noticed that you still had a good ten minutes before your driver should arrive, which meant you could go inside and grab a nice cup of hot chocolate to warm you up.

 

The familiar chime of three golden bells rang throughout the empty cafe as you opened walked in. Your cheeks, tinted red from the slightly chilly weather, immediately began returning to their original color thanks to the warmth of the area. You eyes trailed around the room, taking in the familiar sights. The cute tables that were an off-white color, with a hint of pink or navy blue depending on which chairs or couches they were surrounded by, which were also a solid off-white. The floors were all marble and were often so spotless you could see them sparkle. The walls were stripped with white and gold, the top half of every wall was entirely glass, letting the morning sun give the cafe a natural glow during the best weather conditions.

 

"______?" A curious voice from behind the counter sparked your attention.

 

You looked over, smiling at the man before walking down cafe towards him. "Annyeong, Donghae Oppa."

 

He raised an eyebrow, placing down the rag he'd been using to dry a glass. He placed the glass down as well, using his now free hand to roll up the sleeves on his white button down shirt. He leaned against the piece of furniture separating the two of you, crossing his arms over the marble counter as he stared at you. "Why are you here?"

 

You pouted slightly. "Why, is it a problem that I stopped by?"

 

He sighed, raising his hand to flick your forehead before folding his arms once more. "Don't be silly, ______. Even if I don't see you often you know you're always welcome here, but. . what are you doing here now? Its almost closing time."

 

You leaned against the counter as well, bringing the two of you at a close yet comfortable distance. "I wanted to go for a walk in the city but Leeteuk ahjussi insisted that I shouldn't walk home on my home so to compromise I told him to send a driver here for nine. Don't worry, he should be here soon and I'll be out of he-"

 

"Yah, don't call the poor guy ahjussi, he's only a few years older than me." He scolded, playfully.

 

You rolled your eyes and looked around the cafe again.

 

"You're alone this summer?" He guessed, placing his head against his folded arms. "Again?"

 

You nodded, tapping your finger against the marble countertop. "Can I get some hot chocolate, Oppa?"

 

"A hot chocolate for the girl!" He shouted, loud enough for one of his employees from the kitchen to shout back an annoyed but obedient "Coming right up!"

 

"You're so lazy, Oppa." You scolded, smacking his arm playfully.

 

He simply looked at you silently. It was time like this when you could barely tell the difference between your brother Myungsoo and your cousin Donghae. Yes, there were obvious physical differences, but only minimal personality ones. The two were insanely stubborn, strict, and not to mention silent. Just then his voice snapped you out of your thoughts. "Why don't you spend your summer with me, ______?"

 

Your eyes widened. "Bwoi?"

 

"I have a spare room at my house, I know its nothing compared to your ridiculous mansion but its better than staying on your own right? And you can work for me too. Sure you've got money pouring out of your a- I mean behind, but you love this place and you wont be bored while I'm here working. How does that sound?"

 

Your lips parted as you stared at him, momentarily shocked at his offer. "B-but what will I tell my parents? And my brother? And-"

 

"And nothing, ______. I think I can handle my aunt and uncle. Plus, that knucklehead Myungsoo is definitely not an issue. As far as I'm concerned, your choice cuts the cake. So what'll it be?"

 

You weighed your options. Option A: Spend the next three months on your own, taking walks, singing to yourself, and playing scrabble with your caretakers. Option B: Staying with your cousin Donghae and working at the cafe he owns which you've absolutely loved since the moment he opened in a few years ago.

 

You bit your lip, looking up at your cousin. "When can I move in?"

 

He chuckled, ruffling your hair as he stood up straight. "How does tomorrow sound, princess?"

 

You grinned at him, about to reply when a boy came out from within the kitchen doors, your hot chocolate in hand. Your eyes snapped towards him, taking in his childish face, plump lips, and messy brown hair tied up in a small ponytail. He didn't look much older than you, maybe a just a year or two.

 

"One steaming, super duper hot chocolate for-" The boy froze, starring at you sheepishly. "Heres your hot chocolate, madame." He murmured, placing the cup on counter.

 

You nodded gratefully, taking the cup in your hands.

 

"One steaming, super duper hot chocolate?" Donghae repeated, rolling his eyes. "Pabo. Is everything done in the kitchen? Its almost closing time, we have to clean up front before leaving tonight."

 

The boy nodded. "Yeah, the others are just changing out of their uniforms. What about Zelo?"

 

"What about him?" Donghae muttered, unamused. "Did he leave early to pick up some girls again?"

 

"W-Well. . ." The boy's voice trailed off and Donghae sighed, shaking his head. "Get a broom, Taemin-ah, Its just me and you closing up shop tonight."

 

You watched, soundlessly sipping from your chocolate milk as the two males continued to talk to one another before your cell phone buzzed. You took it out to read a text message from your driver, letting you know that he would be in front of the cafe in a minute. You looked up, surprised to see the boy had disappeared and an annoyed Donghae was left in front of you.

 

"Are you okay, Oppa?"

 

He nodded, dismissively before looking behind you, squinting his eyes. "I think I see your driver, ______. I'll call your parents tonight, okay? Go pack your things and get some sleep. You start work bright and early tomorrow, Princess."

 

You nodded, reaching over to plant a kiss on his cheek before saying a simply goodbye, knowing you'll be seeing him in the morning anyway. You found yourself growing excited at the thought of being around Donghae this summer, instead of on your own, and working here at the cafe. Even if you've had no work experience what so ever, you were sure everyone would be just as nice as that Taemin boy seemed.

 

Atleast, that's what you hoped.