A New Beginning

Unexpected

The next day, I am on my way to the Shin’s Delicious Shakes. It seemed that that ‘maybe’ turned out to be a ‘yes’ because I had put on my most treasured read sundress and was wearing the white wedges that matched it. Not to mention that I actually felt like putting on make-up today.
Once I got to the little restaurant, I sat myself at a table where I could see the front counter.
“I guess that ‘maybe’ turned out to be a ‘yes,’ hmm?”
I turn and look to find the source of the source of the husky voice. AJ walks towards me, wearing a navy blue cardigan over a simple white v-neck and skinny jeans. Unlike yesterday, I noticed that he wasn’t wearing his glasses.
“Hey.” I smile.
He quietly returns the smile and sits down in the seat across from me. “You look beautiful today.”
That phrase was said to me everyday by Key, but it never felt as sincere as this.
“Thank you.”
“Hey, aren’t you going to say anything about my outfit? I spent an hour picking it out.”
“I like it. Wait... an hour?!?”
I was shocked. Despite the stereotype that girls are more high-maintenance than guys, it was totally the opposite for Key and I. He took three hours or more to ‘perfect’ his look, even if we were just going to the park. I, on the other hand, spent half an hour.
“No... not really. More close to half of that,” he said and added a light chuckle.
“Oh. Umm... you’re not working today? You aren’t in the worker outfit.”
“Nah. Today is my day off,” he explains. “You haven’t ordered anything?”
I look at the empty table before me.
“Or... were you just waiting for me?” There goes that smile again.
“Umm..”
“I don’t really feel like eating. And it seems like you don’t either,” he says, glancing at the empty table between us. “Let’s go for a walk.”
He took a hold of my hand and we walked out of the small restaurant.


We walked past the playing kids and along the beach shore. Later, we went canoeing and raced each other to the small island offshore. Of course he won, with more upper-body muscles.

After three hours of play, AJ said he was hungry so we decide to go eat ice cream.
Looking at the long list of ice cream flavors and combinations, I was having a very difficult time making a decision.
“Next!” The cashier called as the customer in front of us moved to the side.
AJ takes a step forward and says, “I want a plain vanilla double scoop, please.”
“Alrighty. How about your girlfriend there?” the cashier asks, looking at me.
“What? Oh.. she’s not..”
“I’ll just have whatever he’s having.”
AJ gives me a look that says, “Are you sure?”
I nod, and he tells me to go find us a table and sit down.
I scan the group of tables, and almost every one is occupied. Luckily, I spot an empty one near the back. Satisfied with myself, I walk there and set my purse on the table as I sit down.
“Hey!”
Someone yells from behind me, and unfortunately, I recognize the voice. Then I hear a chair squeak as the person stands up and walks over. A strong hand lands on my shoulder, turning me to look at them.
“Hey, it is you!” the familiar blond-headed guy asks me, totally happy with himself.
I, on the other hand, not so much. I shut my eyes. This wasn’t supposed to happen. not now. The day was going so perfect, everything finally felt right. No, this couldn’t be happening.
“Ya! Why aren’t you answering me?”
My eyes flickered open. He was now sitting in the chair across from me with a lollipop in his mouth.
“That’s not your seat,” I say sternly.
“Hahaha. What do you mean? I don’t see anyone sitting here except for me,” he says, conceit lining his voice.
The confidence infuriates me, causing the fists I already have to ball up tighter.
“I said, ‘That’s. Not. Your. Seat.’” I repeat myself, emphasizing every word.
“Oh, it’s fine. Dang, why so stingy? Hey, listen. Why haven’t you been answering my calls or messages?”
I remembered that I had turned my phone off... two nights ago. Frantic, I stretch my neck to peer over and between the numerous people standing between the front counter and me. I spot AJ, but he’s still waiting by the cashier for our order. Deflated, I turn back to face the jerk in front of me.
“What, looking for your boyfriend? I’m right here.”
“After what you did, you still have the face to call yourself my boyfriend?!” I was furious.
“Of course. Who else could be amazing enough to take my place? And may I just say, that we never officially broke up. You got mad and just ran away. You can’t still be mad, can you? Hm?”
“Well now, it’s over. There! I said it. Are you happy?” I asked, yelling now. “And by the way, who in the world would be mad?! Have you ever been cheated on? How would you feel if I cheated on you?”
He erupts with laughter, mocking me. Grabbing my hand, he says, “As if you ever would. Come on, just come back and we’ll be happy again.”
“Stop repeating yourself. It’s annoying.”
“Wait, what do you mean? I didn’t-”
I’m sorry. I can explain. We’ll be happy. Isn’t that what you always say? Stop lying. You’ve said these things over and over again, repeatedly! This isn’t the first time that it’s happened. This is the third. THIRD. And it just had to be Suzy this time, huh? My best friend? Seriously?”
“Umm.. I think this is a bad time, but our ice cream is melting,” a husky voice says from behind me.
I had gotten so angered by Key that I forgot all about AJ. He was standing about a foot behind me, trying to balance the two ice cream cones.
“Oh! No. It’s fine. He was just leaving,” I say, as calm as I can.
“I was? Who says?” he says, clicking his tongue. Pointing to AJ, he asks, “Who’s this guy?”
“My boyfriend. Why? Jealous?”

“Haha. Of course not! What is there to envy? Surely not his height.”
“Maybe I should just..” AJ says, slowly backing away.
“He’s not short. He’s taller than me! And despite his height, he treats me better than you ever could,” I say without hesitation, for I knew that I meant it.
“But I’m better looking!”
“Who says? And who cares? Urgh. Whatever. This is useless.”
Knowing that the conversation would go nowhere, I stand up and grab my purse with one hand, AJ’s arm with the other and walk away from Key.
“Wait! Ila! I’m sorry!”
I laugh. He doesn’t even have the guts to follow me. And now I know he never did.


“Ya! Ila! Please, can we just stop for a few minutes?”
The cry stops me. I turn around and see AJ, collapsed on the ground. He’s breathing heavily, trying to catch his breath.
‘Oops.. how long had I been running?’ My clock read 4:39. ‘I had been running for at least 3 hours?!’
Quickly and worriedly, I run over and bend down next to him, coming eye-to-eye with him.
“I’m so sorry! I kind of... “ my voice trails off, not knowing what to say. “I run long-distance track and I’ve gotten so used to it that I just zone-out sometimes.”
“It’s alright.” He was sitting up now, perched on his elbow. “Can I ask you a question?”
“Hm?” I was still worried and feeling terrible.
“Back there... who was that guy? Was he the reason why you didn’t want to...”
“Yea. He’s my boyfriend... well, now he’s my ex-boyfriend. He cheated on me with my best friend.”
“Oh... well, putting that aside, why did you tell him that I was your boyfriend?”
“He brought his face close to mine, closing in on the space between us. Luckily, he stops, leaving about 3 inches. The distance doesn’t stop my cheeks from blushing though.
“Um... well, about that...” I paused, once again trying to find the right words.
The look plastered on his face was boring holes into me.
“It was just a tiny lie. Please don’t take it to heart. I didn’t-”
“Wanna make it true?”
The question caused the trains of thoughts in my mind to come to an immediate stop.
“W-w-what?”
A mischievous smile appears on his lips, showing his pearly white teeth. Then my eyes close as his lips cover mine, creating the best kiss I ever experienced. Unlike Key’s rough, hurried kisses, this one was soft and gave me a feel of comfort; I felt safe.
Suddenly he breaks away, ending the kiss, and my eyes flicker open, expecting to see those beautiful brown eyes of his. Instead, he was now running away from me, down the sandy beach shore.
“What? Wait for me!”
Quickly, I stand up and run after him, trying to catch up. AJ! Wait! Weren’t you just out of breath?!” I yelled after him.
“If you want more, you’ve gotta catch me! And by the way, you’re not the only one who runs long-distance track, Ila!” He’s now running backwards, stretching the distance between us.
I pick up my pace, running to catch up with him as the sun is setting in the western sky. Unlike yesterday morning, I now had a set goal; I wanted to chase him until we were nose-to-nose, whether it be physically or mentally. I knew that if I surpassed him, he would chase me the same too. No matter what, it was a goal I had to accomplish.



~The End~

 



 

So? So...? What did you guys think? :DD