Betrayal

Unexpected

A/N: For some reason, the indentations are messed up. I dont know why. Sorry!

 

BEEP~
Finally the bell rang, signalling that Human Geography was over. I quickly stuffed my books into my purple backpack, barely able to hold in my excitement for the event later. Just as I thought I was done, I hoisted the bag over my shoulder and a forgotten pencil dropped to the floor, causing a small sound. That rarely ever happened, so I was confused and hesitated for a bit.


“Here, I got it,” Suzy said, breaking me out of my short trance. She bent her knees, crouching down to retrieve the pencil for me.

Suzy Bae is my best friend of four years, ever since middle school. She had been newly transferred to my school at the time and had no friends. When we discovered that we had the same interests, like badminton and music.
I took the pencil and put it into the side pocket of my bag. “Thanks, Suzy,” I said, still a little put off.
She just smiled. “It’s not biggie. Come on, we don’t want our Ila to be late for her special date, now do we?” she said and linked her arm through mine.
“Haha.. I guess my date today is pretty special, huh?”
“Of course. I’m so happy for you two!”
With that, we walked out of the school, arms linked together.
It was true. Today was March 26th, marking the 6th month anniversary with my boyfriend Key. This morning I woke up to a basket of beautifully arranged white roses on my doorstep. Included was a note that read:



Happy Sixth Month

Anniversary, babe.

I love you so much and

cannot wait for our date tonight.

I love you.

                       - Key K.


He didn’t go to the same school as I did, though. Instead, he went to the boy’s school 5 blocks away from where I went, Fiona Arts Academy - strictly an all-girls high school.
Suzy and I came to a stop outside Ana Cafe and went inside. We walked straight to the glass display case, filled with fake cake molds.
“Hey ladies, what can i get for you today?”
Suzy and I both looked up in unison and were delighted to see Amber. The said female was our friend who worked at the cafe. Thanks to her, we got discounts many times.
“Hey Amber!” we said in unison. Even though it had been a long time since I last saw her, she still sported that boyish look and short hair. I remembered how Suzy and I had to beg and force her to put on a dress for our middle school dance. At first glance, one would really mistake her as a guy.
“I’m here to pick up the cake I ordered yesterday,” I answered with a huge smile plastered on my face, for I was really excited to see her again.
“Oh, okay. Hold on. It’s in the back. I’ll be right back.” Amber then disappears through the wooden doors, leaving Suzy and I alone.
I turned to the left to looks at Suzy. She was on her smartphone, furiously texting away. On her face I saw a smile, causing a smile to grow on my own face. I liked seeing her happy.
A few moments later, Amber returned, white box in hand. “Here ya go! A beautiful red velvet cake for the anniversary,” she said, adding a wink.
I happily accepted the white box, then stopped. “Wait... how did you know that today an anniversary was happening?” I inquired, confused. I know that I hadn’t told her.
“Miss Suzy textaholic over there was the one who told me,” she answered, lifting her chin in the direction of the said person, who was now sitting at the nearest table, still texting away.
“Suzy?” I asked and shot a look in her direction. That was exactly something that she would’ve done.
At the sound of her name, her head jerks up. “Huh? Oh... haha, yeah. I called and told Amber yesterday.” Her attention returns to her phone for just a second before saying, “Uhh.. I’ve gotta go. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? My umm... dad needs me to go buy groceries for him.” With that, she gives me a quick hug and says goodbye to Amber, leaving the small restaurant with her blue jacket draped over one arm.
“Well! She’s sure in a hurry. Where was my hug, huh?” Amber comments sarcastically, crossing her arms and jutting out her lower lip.
I laugh, then decide to take my leave too. “I guess I shall be leaving too, then. Thanks Amber. Here’s $8 for the cake,” I say and hand her the money but she pushes back.
“No! You don’t have to pay anything. Employee discount,” she says, smiling.
“But-” I start to protest, but she cuts me off.
“It’ll be fine. The rest will just be taken out of my paycheck. It’s not that much.”
I thank her again and walk out of the small cafe. I take the public bus home to my mom and I’s two-room, one-story house, located in the heart of Seoul. The keys lightly jingle as I insert on into the brass doorknob. Setting the cake on the small wooden table next to the door, I feel around the wall beside me for the slight switch. Once I’ve located it, the lights come on and the whole room is filled with numerous rays of bright light. In front of me, I see a pair of turquoise-colored suitcases, fully packed and ready-to-go. They belong to my mom; she was going on a business trip, leaving later tonight.
“Honey, are you sure you don’t want to come? I’ll be away for a week...” my mom had said that morning, as she leaned on the doorframe to my room.
“I know, mom. But I’ll be fine. Suzy will come over, and we’ll watch movies, cook, you know. What we usually do,” I had said, assuring her.
My mind had other things planned though. With my mom gone for a whole week, I was really planning to have Key come over and hang out. Maybe there will be a little cuddling involved too... and maybe a little more.
I took out a sheet of make-up remover and applied it to my face. The  layers of carefully applied eyeshadow, foundation, and concealer came off easily onto the damp white sheet, now colored an ugly combination of colors. I took out a second sheet and cleaned off the excess before re-applying a new look for the special occasion.


Once, twice, three times do I knock. A few seconds later, a beautiful and tall woman opens the door of the light blue two-story town house.
“Hello, Ila darling,” Key’s mom greets me with a smile, just like every other time.
“Hello, Mrs. Kim!” I give a quick bow, as a way to show respect in the Korean culture. “Is Key home?”
“Yeah, he’s upstairs in his room. Is that for him too?” she asks, gesturing to the box in my arms. She raises an eyebrow, causing my cheeks to redden.
“Uhh... umm...” I stutter, trying to find the right words to explain without being embarrassed.
Thankfully, she laughs and steps aside. “Come in, dear.”
After I get inside the house and close the door shut behind me, I quietly tiptoe up the Kim’s wide staircase.  Key and I had planned to meet at 7, but it was only 6. I wanted to surprise him.
Quietly, I turn the doorknob or the furthest room to the left. The room was dark, the only light illuminating from the side of his room where his laptop and floor lamp were. As I walked further into his room, I see a jacket on the floor. The color was blue, just like Suzy’s, but it was a uni jacket so I didn’t think much of it. Both of them were always caught up with the latest trends. I smiled and picked it up, draping it over my arm.
Just then, I heard a low chuckle and knew it came from Key.
“What’s so funny?” I asked as I turned the corner, expecting him to be at his computer.
But he wasn’t sitting at his computer. It wasn’t even . Instead, he was lying on his bed, with only his boxers on. His left hand was in the midst of running through the ebony-colored hair of a girl, who was currently on all fours, crouched over him. She was also undressed, stripped down to only her black undergarments. With her right hand, she reaches down to his stomach, tracing the clear defined abs. Of my boyfriend.
Shocked, I accidentally drop the box. Even with the lid on, numerous pieces of the red velvet cake splatter around on the floor at my feet.
The impact creates a sound, turning both the heads of the people on the bed. It is then that I see the face of the woman... no, that was making out with my boyfriend. She was no other than Suzy Bae.


“Oh my god. Ila babe. i can explain,” Key says, walking over  to where I stood.

Suzy. My best friend. I couldn’t shake off the thought. She was now sitting on his bed, back facing me. She couldn’t even look me in the face.

“You’re here so early, babe,” he tries comforting me. He rests his left hand on my shoulder and pull me into a hug. “I’m sorry. I love you, babe.”

Disgusted, I push my way out of the hug and he falls onto the carpeted floor. Realizing that I was still holding the jacket (which I now knew who it belonged to), my arm immediately straightens and it falls to the floor too.

My legs retreat, backing out of the dim-lighted room. I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breathe, suffocating in the huge room.

“Wait! I’m sorry, Ila! Come back, I can explain!” he pleads, still sitting in the same position as when he fell.

I wanted to. I wanted to stop, run back into his arms, and believe that it was all just a huge misunderstanding, or that it would be alright and I just had a horrible nightmare. But as hard as I tried, my leg muscles were no longer under my control. My legs were running backwards now, fast.

I turned around and continued running, down the hallway and then down the staircase which I had just went up a few minutes ago. Finally, I burst through the door and the cool air hits my face. But that doesn’t stop me. My legs keep pumping, all the way until I get to the bus stop.

As the cool spring air continued to blow around me, I felt my face being suddenly stiff. I reached up to rub my cheek, and felt that it was wet. I didn’t know that I had cried.

Without knowing what else to do, I thought of the only person I wanted to talk to right now and speed dialed the number with my phone.

“Hello?” The familiar voice envelopes me with a feeling of security.

“Mom? Can you pack my stuff? I think I’ll go with you to Jeju Island,” I say without hesitation.