#5: a best friend knows what best

Happiness

#05
a  b e s t  f r i e n d  k n o w s  w h a t ' s  b e s t

 

 

Tiffany practically shrieked when she saw her boss walk pass her desk.

How can she not? Jessica was wearing her glasses, but Tiffany can still see the dark circles under her eyes. Her hair wasn't styled neatly like she usually would do, it was only tied up in a messy bun, wild strands of hair hanging around her face. But thank goodness her outfit was still normal, though it was very unusual to see Jessica unorganized like today.

Tiffany followed her into her office, keeping quiet until she finished setting up her things and sat in her seat, asking the usual question, "What do you have for me this morning?"

"A question," Tiffany replied, crossing her arms. "What's going on, Sica?"

"What do you mean, 'what's going on'?" Jessica returned the question.

"What's going on with you? Why are you looking so unorganized today?"

"I'm just tired, that's all," replied Jessica, taking off her glasses and rubbed her swollen eyes. "I went shopping to Myeongdong yesterday and got home at six at night. I decided I'd stay up late to edit some layouts. But then I thought I should do a small research on indie so I looked for that old fashion magazine that took up indie in an issue. It was tied with a pile of magazines, so I had to look for scissors to cut the rope, since I can't untie the knot myself. But when I found the scissors inside my drawer, under it I found a photo from my college days. It just.. brings back memories.."

Jessica was rambling, but weirdly, Tiffany understood her rambles. "Oh, okay. So, what did you do last night? Mope?"

"As a matter of fact, I did," Jessica retaliated, ignoring Tiffany's sarcastic means. "Don't worry, though. I just shed a small tear and wiped it off, did it a few times, and then I went back to work."

"Sica..."

"Nope. No, don't give me that look."

Tiffany sighed. "Fine, but let me give you something else," she said and walked outside to her desk, before coming back with a few folders and a swiss army knife, and handed it to Jessica. "Next time you can't find scissors, use this. Who knows what you're gonna find next time, and suddenly you'll show up in the office wearing a bathrobe instead of a coat."

Jessica laughed. "Thank you, Tiffany.."

"Don't mention it," she smiled in response. "I don't have much for you today, just papers from the accounting and a few designs that you said you wanted to look at. Oh, and some of the text documents for the editorials have also arrived today, but the fonts aren't ready yet. They said it'll be on your desk today, though."

Jessica nodded. "Okay then, can you give me the designs? And, um, order me an americano."

Tiffany handed Jessica the folders she was holding since then. "If you don't need anything else, I'll go back to my desk now, and I'll have someone deliver your coffee in just a few minutes."

"Okay. Thanks, Tiff," smiled Jessica.

Tiffany returned the smile, before walking back to her desk. She ordered the coffee Jessica asked for and went back to work. She knew that every time Jessica asks for americano, that means she's feeling down.

It's good that she was the one who became her assistant; Tiffany knew Jessica better than anyone else would. In high school they first met and became close, they went to the same college and started off working in the magazine together. But Tiffany had always known that Jessica had a more visionary mind, that's why she became the art director. And she can always choose another job in the arts, but no. Because of Jessica's sudden change of personality, Tiffany filed a letter to the magazine director to let her be Jessica's assistant instead, and it was granted. Jessica was opposed to it at first, but now, she was glad that she has Tiffany to take care of her.

She knew that Jessica is the eldest child of the family. Her little sister is still in high-school, and is staying in her school's dormitory, and her family is staying in California. For three years of high school, Jessica had to fend for herself. And since she met Tiffany, she knew that she was the right person for her to lean on.

Maybe it was because Tiffany herself isn't very different from Jessica. The two of them got close because they both were foreigners who left their families in California for school, and needed a friend in Korea. But in Seoul here, Tiffany is staying with her cousin, Taeyeon. At least she has someone who takes care of her, while Jessica has to take care of her little sister, though she was quite independent. So, Tiffany thought she needed to stay close to Jessica and take care of her. 

Jessica isn't as strong and independent as she looks, and only Tiffany knew that.

And Jessica knew Tiffany has her back, and all she can do is have her back for her best friend too.


It was lunch time, and as usual, Tiffany went to fetch lunch for Jessica and herself. Since Jessica wasn't looking fit, she decided that she would get her fried chicken so she can eat it with rice. The KFC building was just across her building anyway. She ordered two chickens, a large french fries and two lemon teas because she knew Jessica doesn't drink carbonated drinks. After she paid for it, she took the paper bag and the plastic of drinks, and headed for the door, when somebody stopped her by calling her name.

"Tiffany!" Jinki waved to her from the table near the door.

Tiffany stopped by his table before going out. "Hey! Not really a surprise to see you here, honestly," she giggled.

Jinki laughed as well. "Yeah, I know. Let me guess, buying lunch for Jessica?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

Jinki just nodded. "I actually met her yesterday, during the photo-shoot in Myeongdong," he said.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah. She stopped by my van, carrying a shopping bag," Jinki told. "How is she, now?"

Tiffany sighed. "I don't know.. I mean, Jessica showed up in the office today, still wearing her glasses and messy hair–"

"Wait, Jessica wears glasses?" Jinki interrupted.

"Yeah, she does," Tiffany replied. "Anyway, she was so unorganized. I asked her about it, but she said she was just tired. She stayed up late to edit some layouts.."

"Really, Tiff," said Jinki. "Jessica overworks herself, it worries me."

"I know, it worries me too. I've been telling her to stop staying up late, lay off the caffeine, and don't overwork herself. But, she still does it," Tiffany shrugged. "It's nice to know you're worried about her, though. You know, despite her Ice Princess-y personality. Thank you, Jinki."

Jinki returned Tiffany's smile. "It's no big deal. If there's anything wrong with her, just tell me. I'll be happy to help out."

"If that's the case, I think I'll call you every hour of the day. Despite her collected self, a lot of things are wrong with Sica," chuckled Tiffany. "Still, thanks. I'll be going first, see you later in the office, Jinki?"

"Okay. Tell Jessica I said hey!"

Tiffany winked a gotcha and left the restaurant.

Jinki sighed to himself as he stared at his tray of food. "Man, I really should call her for lunch again," he thought aloud, before taking a bite off his chicken leg.


As Tiffany walked through the art department, she thought about her conversation with Jinki earlier. She wasn't sure if telling him about Jessica's problem is right, but Jinki seemed fine, and he really cares about Jessica, and of course he knew better than to tell Jessica that she was the one who told him about her dilemmas.. right? Well, she could only hope to God that he did.

When she entered Jessica's office, she found her lying on her couch, reading her new novel. When she realized that Tiffany was back, Jessica shot up and took off her glasses. "Oh! Oh, you're here. What took you so long?"

"I met Jinki in the restaurant, we chatted for a while," replied Tiffany as she put the bags on the coffee table and took a seat next to Jessica. "He said hey, by the way."

Jessica ignored her last sentence and grabbed her rice and opened the wrapper similar to a burger, before taking a bit of her chicken and another bite of the rice. "Oh, I'm so hungry.." she said a mouthful.

"Don't eat too fast, you'll choke," said Tiffany, eating her own meal. "Hey, Sica?"

"Hmm?"

"Jinki said hey."

"I heard you earlier, Fany."

"So?"

Jessica shot a look at Tiffany. "It's only a hey. Am I supposed to answer to it?"

"Sure you do, it's nice."

"I'll tell him hey when I see him again," Jessica muttered. "Soon."

Tiffany only giggled and continued eating as she looked at her best friend. Even though Jessica has a really tough pretense, it wasn't rare that she acts like a kid, and she's only like that in front of Tiffany. But she was still the Ice Princess Jessica, which Jinki may have a hard time to get through. But she believed him; she believed that Jinki will be the Knight in shining armor that will melt the Ice Princess' heart.

"Yeah. Soon," mumbled Tiffany, smiling at her best friend.


© hellopsr stories, 2012