#3: excuses

Happiness

#03
e x c u s e s

 

 

Days have passed and the issue of the month was released. Jessica did get a few days off work before, and now she has to go to the office again for a meeting regarding the new edition. It was held at nine, and she was almost late for it. Rushing through the corridors, she made her way to the meeting room that was already filled with people. Jessica took a seat not too far from the director of the magazine.

After a while, the doors were closed, and the meeting started.

"Annyeonghaseyo," said the Director, and everybody replied. "Now, we will start our monthly meeting."

Because she's the art director, all she has to do was listen when the director explains the main story, the theme and concept he wants for every editorial, and the heads will explain what they already have for the editorial. After that, it was her turn.

"So, what do you think, Jessica? Can you draw up some concepts for the theme?" asked the Director.

Jessica nodded. "I've taken some notes, and since our main issue today is about new indie, I suggest an indie concept with classic themed prints and clashing colors–simple, but really catchy at the same time. And the fonts must be really classic. Like logos. I'll do a further research on it," she said as she tapped her pen against her notebook.

"Great. Now, for the pictorial," the Director turned to Jinki, who was sitting a row behind and a bit to the left from Jessica. "We have all heard about the fashion theme; indie. Now, it's up to you to make it live. Jinki?"

"Okay," Jinki sat up straight from his slumping position. "Regular indie pictorials are usually taken in places that brings out their classic, casual look, because there are no people in the background. But, I think.." he stopped for a while to look at the whole board's reaction, that was quiet to listen to his idea. "Indie is known for being anti-mainstream, right? It's its appeal point. So, I'm gonna choose a place where people are dressed so mainstream, so common, and our models will stand right in the middle of those people, totally contrast with their background. Other details are left to the photographer."

Everybody was silent for a while, until Jessica voiced, "I think it's a great idea," she said. "It's fresh, and I think the concept is a breakthrough."

"I agree," the Director said. "It's unique, uncommon, and totally anti-mainstream–total indie concept! It's completely genius!" Everyone applauded when he said that.

"Director, you're overreacting," Jinki chuckled shyly. "But, thank you. I hope you'll consider going for it."

"Are you kidding? We're going to use it, definitely," the Director gave a thumb up for Jinki. "Now, let's move on to the interviewers.."

Jinki got a few pats in the back by his friends, thumbs up, and mouthed words of praises. He glanced at the shiny chocolate-haired girl, who was the first one to support his idea.

Jessica was smiling at him.

And he, with no doubt, smiled back at her.


Looking for indie themed concepts are quite easy as she expected it to be. It was up to her crew to work on it, and then she'll approve and edit them, like usual. It would take some time, so Jessica was just lazing away at her office, reading a novel. Sometimes, she doesn't even know why she come to work anyway when she could just do it at home.

It's been a while since she went home late. There wasn't a lot of work do, so she's able to go home at eight, sometimes even before sun down. Jessica was relieved though, for that means no stress for her. Not like she was stressed, or anything. She just wanted to relax, for a really long time.

" And The City again?"

Jessica put her book down to see Tiffany at her door, smiling.

"Jinki is outside," she said. "Should I send him in?"

Jessica marked the page she was on before closing it. "Sure, but why didn't you ask me through the intercom?"

"No reasons," Tiffany shrugged, and exited the room. Jessica heard a murmur of "Jinki, you can come in now," from Tiffany, and then the owner of the name mentioned entered.

"Hi," greeted Jinki, smiling his usual bright smile.

"Hey," Jessica replied shortly. "Are you here to submit the pictorials? I mean, the meeting was only like, three hours ago."

"No, I'm not. Speaking of the meeting though.." Jinki said. "Thank you for having a positive voice towards my idea."

"What's there to thank for? You deserved it; I mean, I really did mean it when I said your idea was fresh, it was.. how to put it, um.. unusual?" Jessica chuckled. "Besides, the Director had praised you a lot today, you must feel really good."

"Ah, not really. It's a good feeling, but I'm not too fond of it; being a pet," he shrugged. "Anyway, I thought I should do something in return for you, so.. let's go out to eat again sometimes?"

Jessica scoffed. "You're too much, Jinki. I already said it's fine, really."

"But, I want to. If you don't want to because I said I owe you, then let's just go out."

Jessica thought about it for a while. She had said that she wouldn't go out with him again, and she wasn't going to change her mind. If it was official events, she would, but for personal events, she was hesitant–actually, she'd rather not do it at all. Jessica told herself that Jinki annoys her, for no reason she herself could understand. There's just something about him that bothered her. And it's playing with her mindset.

"I can't, sorry," Jessica decided.

Jinki seemed like he was surprised. "Huh? Why not?"

"Maybe not during these times, it's the beginning of the month, which means we both are going to be busy, don't you think?" she reasoned. "I haven't worked on anything yet, and you too still have your pictorials. I want to finish my work quickly so I will probably be working on it during break times."

Jinki nodded in understanding. "Okay," he said.

"Sorry."

"It's fine," he smiled. Actually, he never did get that smile off his face, even for once. "Sometime later."

"Yeah."

"Well, then. I have to go take care of some photo-shooting business, see you around, Miss Jung!" Jinki waved a small bye-bye and headed to the door, saying, "Don't work too hard~" then disappeared behind the door, leaving Jessica sighing in relieve.

For now, she just needed to focus on her job.


"Director Jinki, I have done the research for the photo sites."

Jinki looked up from his computer and took the folder from his assistant, smiling as he said, "Thanks, Kevin," and started flipping through the pages, examining each thoroughly. "Okay. Contact the people in charge to set up an appointment, approximately five days from now."

Kevin nodded. "By the way, director Jiyong from the model agency called earlier, and you should also call director Chaerin from fashion department," he reminded his boss before excusing himself out of his office.

Jinki reached for his phone and pressed the number five for speed dial. A few rings later, a feminine voice answered, "CL."

"Yo," he greeted. "It's Jinki."

"I was just going to call you," said Chaerin. "I have eight outfits for four different venues, just like you asked. One formal, three casual, and two occasional, and two applied. And also for some of the venues, I've chosen the clothes for the people in the background. How many models do you have?"

"Uhhh, don't know, I haven't called Jiyong yet. I planned to call him after I call you."

"Hmm, then text me after you know," said Chaerin. "But, other than that, I think it's all set. Inform me on the photo-shoot once you set the appointments, 'kay?"

"Okay, thanks, C," Jinki chuckled, and then hung up. He then grabbed his cell-phone and dialed another number.

Right after the first ring, it was answered. "Hey, it's GD, I called you earlier, J."

Jinki laughed. "I know, that's why I'm calling you back, Jiyong," he said. "But first, I really want to ask you, what is it with fashion related people and abbreviated names? GD, CL?"

"Yah, it'll be like our trademarks," Jiyong replied. "Anyway, I want to talk to you about models. Main models will be Suzy and Sulli. For background models, I have prepared thirty models. That's enough for a scene, right?"

"Yeah, I suppose so. I'll tell Chaerin about the models, you guys set up a fitting within the next two days, please."

"Roger, J."

"Thanks, bro," and then Jinki hung up.

He texted Chaerin like he said, and then put his phone on his table, before turning on music in his laptop, playing a ballad song. Jinki slumped in his chair and closed his eyes. A smile slowly crept upon his face.

A thought about Jessica crossed his mind. It was nothing special really, just thinking about how hard the girl was working. She even used her lunch time to do work, Jinki thought, chuckling to himself. He didn't mind having his lunch invitation turned down–he wasn't the type to get upset over something like that, anyway–he was just worried. But, he hoped that her work does finish quickly, so he could ask her out again.

"Using business to turn down a lunch date," he let out a derisive laugh. "Funny, Jess. Real funny."

He then sat up straight again, and continued what he was doing in his computer; trying to break his previous high score on Causality 4.


© hellopsr stories, 2012

 

  

Double update! Previous, click click!