The Perfect End

Silence is Golden

 

   “You can’t be serious.”

   Your jaw popped open as you stared at the couple in front of you.

   Myungsoo had a sheepish, shy smile tugging on the corner of his lips, but his face showed mostly nervousness. “I didn’t know either, I swear.”

   He looked over at Victoria, who couldn’t hold his gaze for longer than two seconds before ducking her head and letting her hair fall like a wall between the two of them. You could see the shy smile on her face also, shadowed by her embarrassment.

   The four of you – Jinyoung, Myungsoo, Victoria and you – were at the usual small café near the dance studio. You were actually called for by Myungsoo to meet there, and you were shocked at his request that you bring Jinyoung along. You were even more surprised when you walked into the café to see Myungsoo already seated in one of the booths along the side…beside Victoria.

   Now, your mind struggled to overcome the third round of shock that had hit you once Myungsoo told you of the news.

   “You’re seriously getting married – to Vic?!” you cried a little bit too loudly for the usually peaceful café.

   “I was shocked too,” Victoria bit her lip, seemingly worried.

   “Shh, just scream it to the entire world, will you?!” Myungsoo directed at you, frowning.

   You stared at them, sitting beside each other. They kept on shooting glances at each other, but Victoria was obviously more confident and less nervous than Myungsoo was.

    “Hey, no talking like that to my girlfriend,” Jinyoung teased, pretending to tilt his head and glare at Myungsoo before breaking off into a smile.

   “Yeah, rub it in – you just like saying it, don’t you?” Myungsoo retorted, but he had a grin on his face also.

   Victoria shuffled in her seat, catching your eye and mouthing, “Wow.” You knew she was commenting on the way Jinyoung backed you up.

   You burst into giggles at all three of them. What Myungsoo said was true, though. Over the past week after you and Jinyoung officially got together, the two of you were clingy and inseparable. After school, the two of you would always go out to grab a snack to eat, or visit the library to help you study for your exams. It was already Wednesday, and your first exam was next Monday, which meant you should’ve been studying 24/7.

   But who needed to study 24/7 when you had a handsome, smart, older boyfriend who had already learned everything you were about to be tested on?

   During your visits to the library, Jinyoung would be fully content just sitting by you, pretending to read a book but secretly sneaking glances over at your concentrated and frustrated expressions. Eventually, he began tutoring you, helping you with more difficult problems and cracking jokes to help you relax. Every chance he got, he would refer to you as his girlfriend.

   Once, when he was picking you up for school, your mom opened the door, completely ecstatic ever since you told her the news – “He was such a wonderful boy! Needs some whipping up into shape, but you’ll do him just fine…oh my , that sounds wrong, doesn’t it?” she had said – and the first thing that Jinyoung had said was, “Good morning! I’m here to pick up my girlfriend.”

   Needless to say, Jinyoung had your mom’s approval.

   There was another time when the two of you bumped into his group of friends while on a late night stroll, and they began chatting while you stood behind his tall figure, half hiding. That is, until Jinyoung reached behind him, gently pulled you forward, wrapped his arms securely around your shoulder and said proudly to his friends, “Before we go on, I’d like you guys to meet _______, my girlfriend.”

   Now, you grinned at Victoria, shooting her a wink. You knew that she was feeling guilty because she knew what happened between you and Myungsoo. She was one of the first people you told back then.

   Truthfully though, when Myungsoo explained that Victoria was the girl his parents wanted him to marry (turns out, their parents are business partners), you didn’t feel any negative emotions. Whether it was betrayal, sadness or pain, you didn’t feel any of it. Perhaps it was because at the time, Jinyoung was holding your hand underneath the table, using his finger to trace random designs over your wrist. Or perhaps, it was because you have moved on from Myungsoo, maybe even without realizing it.

   Whatever the reason was, you felt fine. In fact, you were happy for her. Victoria had never had a boyfriend, and you remembered that she always teased about living vicariously through you. What amazed you was how it seemed to fit perfectly…you were slightly afraid that whoever the girl was, she would be ill fitting for Myungsoo. That she wouldn’t be good enough. Now, you knew that the girl was perfect: Victoria was outspoken and a little rowdy on the outside, but she was 100% kind with sweet intentions.

   “I do like saying it, actually,” Jinyoung glanced down at you beside him, flashing you an eye smile.

   You hit his side with your elbow, smiling shyly before leaning back and tugging on his sleeve. “They look good together, don’t they?” you commented slyly.

   Jinyoung leaned back also, putting his head beside yours and pretending to appraise Myungsoo and Victoria’s worth. “Yes, yes, I think I have to agree with you,” he pretended to his imaginary beard.

   “Dork,” you playfully rolled your eyes.

   “You guys are sickening,” Myungsoo said.

   “That was exactly what I was thinking,” Victoria snickered, exchanging a look with Myungsoo.

   “Yeah, right, the two of you will be like this soon…I know it,” you smiled smugly.

   “Hasn’t it only been like, a week since you met this guy?” Victoria questioned you, crossing her arms on the table.

   “A week and a half!” you corrected. You understood her point though, completely. You and Jinyoung had moved incredibly fast, skipping all the fancy dates and friendship-building that normal people went through before becoming a couple. Yet you didn’t regret it – all you knew was that you liked him a whole lot, and he somehow liked you just as much.

   So what if you didn’t have as many memories as other people usually had at this stage? It just meant that you had more room to make new ones.

   “Because that’s so much better,” Victoria retorted, but she smiled too, letting it go because she could see how obviously happy you were.

   Myungsoo could see it too. “So this is what people call the honeymoon stage, right?”

   “Do you even know each other’s last names?” Victoria raised her eyebrow.

   You opened your mouth to reply, but suddenly could not find the answer in your head.

   Had he ever told me his last name? You thought.

*flashback*

 We both giggled openly, catching each others’ eyes and then flickering away. Was this flirting?

   “What’s your name?” he questioned.

   “_______, and yours?”

   “I’m Jinyoung. Nice to meet you, ______.”

*/end*

   You almost wanted to face-palm yourself. In your memory, Jinyoung had never mentioned his last name.

   Your mouth opened and closed, wanting to speak but having no idea what to say.

   “That proves my point,” Victoria smirked. “You guys don’t even know that much about each other yet, and you’re already a couple? Myungsoo and I…are going to take it slow.” She looked over at Myungsoo, who grinned back shyly at her in agreement.

   “That’s because you have to take it slow, not like you’re going to get married now,” you rebounded. You snuck a glance at Jinyoung, who caught it and gave a bark of laughter.

   “I actually do not know your last name,” he said apologetically.

   You gave out a sigh of relief, thankful that it was not your faulty memory that caused you to not know his last name. “Good, because I was getting worried since I don’t know yours either.”

   The four of you ate lunch together, chatting about both past and future as you munched on sandwiches and sipped lemonades. You had a gut feeling that the four of you would become close, close friends in the future – or at least, you hoped so.

   When the couples separated ways (you with Jinyoung and Myungsoo with Victoria), your footsteps led you towards the library, because there were still lots of review packages you had to go through.

   The two of you walked at a leisurely place, in no hurry to rush anywhere. You guys made small talk, easily engaging in banter and making more plans to meet up as soon as your two weeks of exams were over.

   You looked at Jinyoung curiously when instead of heading towards your usual study table at the library, he led you over to some bookshelves.

   “I just want to check out some new books first,” Jinyoung whispered an explanation. You nodded, more than happy to delay your studying time.

   He led you towards one of the farthest tables in the corner of the library, placed next to the self-help section which people rarely visited. “This can be our new table,” he said, dropping his bag off onto one of the chairs.

   “Why are we changing?” you asked, simply curious as you sat down and got comfy. You didn’t mind either way, and besides, it was even quieter in this area of the library.

   Jinyoung didn’t answer until he picked out two random books and sat down beside you. “Do you not like it?” he shifted his chair until he was right next to you. He leaned in closer than usual, leaning on the arm of your chair.

   “It’s quieter here,” you mumbled, watching Jinyoung as his eyes stared at your lips.

   “You don’t like quiet?” Jinyoung whispered, and you could feel his warm breath on your lips, making your entire body tingle.

   You weren’t sure whether it was a natural reaction or if there was suddenly something very wrong with your body, but your throat closed up and your mind almost glazed over as your heart beat pounded in your brain.

   “I like quiet…” you trailed off as Jinyoung leaned in even closer, his lips a mere inch or two away from yours.

   “Then this is perfect.”

   Just like that, Jinyoung closed the gap between your lips and his.

   Your first kiss was sweet, sweet, bliss.

   Your eyes fluttered closed automatically, and nothing else in the world mattered apart from Jinyoung.

   Jinyoung’s soft lips, brushing repeatedly against yours.

   Jinyoung’s hand, lightly grazing your shoulder.

   Jinyoung’s cologne – body wash – deodorant – whatever, enveloping your body.

   Jinyoung's tousled hair, as you somehow found your fingers weaving through it.

   Jinyoung, Jinyoung, Jinyoung.

   When he pulled apart from you, you slowly opened your eyes to find him gazing at you affectionately.

   He leaned in again, but this time, to your ear. “Your last name is Jung,” he whispered, effectively making you shiver – in an electrifying, good way.

  “W-what?” you said, slightly dazed. “No, it’s not?” You let out a laugh, because it wasn’t even close to your last name.

   “Well, it’s going to be,” he murmured against your cheek.

   “What do you mean?” you frowned, confused.

   Jinyoung couldn’t resist himself as he gave another peck to your already pouty lips. “My last name is Jung,” he smirked.

   Your brain clicked his words and the hidden meaning behind them. “You’re going to marry me?” you giggled.

   “Actually, you’re the girl, so you’re going to have to marry me.”

   “We’ll have to see if we last long enough for that,” you teased.

   “At this rate? Oh, I’m sure we will.” Jinyoung began pressing more kisses onto your lips, his hand drifting up to cradle your face.

   Nothing more was said as there was no sound apart from the whispers your lips made as they brushed against Jinyoung’s, and the crinkle of fabric as your hand pressed against his chest.

   Silence enclosed both of you alone in that table in the deserted corner.

   Nothing needed to be said. Why would there be, when in the library, silence was golden?

--

   I'M DONE! THE STORY IS NOW FINISHED! ^^ How did you guys like it? If you even read this far, thank you so, so much! I have many more stories planned, all including lots of fluff and .

   I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading this cheesy story, because I enjoyed writing it AND I'M PROUD I FINISHED IT EVEN THOUGH IT'S ONLY 14 CHAPTERS. 

   SARANGHAE! :D HAVE SOME BONUS JINYOUNG ♥