Smile

Silence is Golden

 

A/N: D-D-DOUBLE UPDATE! As an apology for not updating for so long...next chapter will be the last, leave me comments and feedback! ^^

---

   After Myungsoo turned the corner, you whipped around, staring at Jinyoung’s back. He was still leaning against the rail, staring out into the dark city. The light breeze blew through his hair, tousling it. Walking towards him quietly, he barely heard you approach as he was too lost in his thoughts – which was why he turned to you with a look of great surprise when you popped up beside him.

   You leaned against the rail, looking out into the city, dotted with sparks of light underneath the cloudy night sky.

   “Hey,” Jinyoung said softly, looking down at you.

   “Hi,” you almost whispered, turning your body to face his.

   “So…Myungsoo left? He timed it well, it was exactly ten minutes.”

   You gasped, “You guys had it all planned out, didn’t you? You knew what he was going to say tonight!”

   Jinyoung shrugged and smirked, “What can I say? We’ve gotten closer!”

   You used your hip to bump against his, laughing. “What the heck, then this is so embarrassing!”

   Jinyoung’s smirk grew into a grin. “It’d only be embarrassing if you like me, too.”

   You didn’t answer him – you pretended to pout and walked away.

   “Hey!” Jinyoung called, catching up with you easily. You increased your pace, but you only got back to the rectangle of candles and balloons before he grabbed onto your wrist, stopping you.

   Chuckling, he pulled the chair over for you, gesturing for you to sit. Sitting down without a word, you waited for him to say something. He already knew what Myungsoo meant to say – that the two of you should go out already.

   He sat down on the floor, looking up at you for once. Usually, you’d be the one looking up – this was a nice change.

   “You know?” Jinyoung began, “At the library, when we first met…I had that meeting planned, too.”

   You looked down at him, not expecting this. “What?” It seemed as though you were getting confused more than usual tonight.

   “I had already seen you at the library a couple of days in a row…it just took me awhile to approach you,” he shrugged.

   You were speechless, because it was the exact same way for you: you had also spent a couple of days simply peeking over at him, noticing him and being aware of his presence.

   “And I definitely don’t regret that I did approach you in the end,” Jinyoung grinned.

   You still didn’t say anything, but instead, you pretended to look away stubbornly.

   “And when I first met Myungsoo?” Jinyoung continued, realizing that it would be a monologue. “You should’ve seen us, man, there was electricity flashing between our eyes, like the cartoons, when there are enemies.”

   He checked for your reaction, but you didn’t even crack a smile, or look back at him.

   “Then right afterwards, I saw you cry for the first time,” his expression grew serious. “At that time, the only thought running through my head was that I wanted to punch whoever made those tears come out. That I wanted to see you smile again. That I wanted to be the one to make you laugh again, somehow.”

   Touched, you slowly looked back at him, but all you said was, “That’s more than one thought.”

   Jinyoung held back a chuckle, scooting a little bit closer to you. “And the sleepover – don’t even get me started on that. I couldn’t fall asleep for ages, just because you were in the same room. When we were making cookies…and you let me hold your hand…it was the closest that I’ve ever been to a girl.”

   You were so silent that Jinyoung had to double check that you were listening. He found you staring intently down at him, biting your lip.

   Man, she looks beautiful in the candle light. – get back on track.

   “My heart was beating so fast, and I knew that there wasn’t going to be any turning back at that point. The day right afterwards, with Myungsoo? Everything that he did made me jealous. Even if he only opened the door for you, it made me angry. It really ,” he frowned.

   “Then when you walked away, angry –” Jinyoung broke off mid-sentence as your hand reached and his hair.

   “Be quiet, babo,” you said softly, and he could see that tears were filling your eyes.

   “W-wae? Why are you crying?!” He cried, shocked. He looked around himself wildly, as if in hopes that tissues will pop out of the ground.

   You let out a choked laugh at his helplessness, weaving your fingers through his flaming hair. “I hate you, tomato head,” you said as the tears overflowed.

   “I was just being truthful!” Jinyoung said, his eyes wide. “______!” he called your name. “If you don’t…feel the same, it’s okay. Please, don’t cry, I just said that I wanted to make you smile!”

   You shook your head and laughed again simply because he was being so absurd. “They’re tears of happiness, you tool!”

   “Are you always so mean with the nicknames when you’re happy? Do girls always cry when they’re happy?”

   You nodded, wiping your tears away. Jinyoung shifted onto his knees instead, so that he was closer to your height, and pulled your hands away. You looked at him, tears streaming down your face, and smiled.

   The candles flickered shadows onto your face and bathed your complexion in a warm glow. The wind blew your hair softly, making it sway in the wind. Everything fell silent as Jinyoung swiped his thumb under your eyes, wiping away your tears for you. His hands caressed your cheek, and even through your whirlwind of emotions, you felt your heart beat loudly against your chest as he leaned in slowly, cautiously.

   Jinyoung’s lips brushed against your cheek, staying there for a long moment before drawing back. He brushed the hair out of your face as your tears stopped and your sniffles gradually died down.

   “Does that mean you like me, too?” Jinyoung murmured, resting his forehead against yours.

   You let out a laugh and threw your arms around his neck. “Yes, you idiot,” you said, burying yourself into the crook of his neck. “Yes, it does!”

   You had never been so sure in your life.

   “I prepared something else, just for this moment.”

   You pulled back, but Jinyoung kept your arms on his shoulders. “What if I had said that I didn’t like you?” you questioned.

   “Then obviously I wouldn’t sing to you.”

   “You’re going to sing to me?!”

   “Only if you stop yelling in my ear.”

   “Yes, sir,” you sat back into your chair and smiled at him expectantly as he stood up and backed himself so that you could see all of him. Your entire body felt jittery with nerves, although you weren’t the one performing.

   Jinyoung cleared his throat, shuffled his feet nervously, swung his arms around a bit and slightly hyperventilated before he finally stood still. And then he began singing.

   *click if you want to listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWcYCYcSwT8&list=FLBN4LD4Gr5JdSsKH-kqQzFg&index=161&feature=plpp_video *

   I can’t take it out of my pocket…I can’t pass it over because it’s not very expensive…I could have bought something better if I saved up a little more…

   With each line that he sang, Jinyoung took a step closer towards you.

   If it isn’t now, it’ll be too late…shutting my eyes and picking up my courage…my hesitant heart…the present I’ve hidden…

   Standing in front of you, Jinyoung pulled a box out of his pocket – the size of your palm – and held it out.

   You stared at him speechless, and could only take the box and stare at it, amazed, as he continued to sing.

   You almost completely tuned out as you opened the box carefully, untying the ribbon which held it together and opening it as though it was made out of glass.

   Opening it, your mouth dropped open as you took out a silver charm bracelet – there were already charms on it: bejeweled, tiny little books. It was so adorable and heartwarming that you could feel tears prickling behind your eyes again.

   Lift up your head and listen to me…when you’re happy, it’s not a time to cry…smile like me, so everybody can see.  

   Jinyoung stopped singing after finishing the first chorus, staring at you with a huge grin on his face. You grinned right back at him, shooting up in a flash and running into his already open arms.

   “You really had everything planned out,” you whispered as Jinyoung crushed you into a hug.

   “Shh…why are you crying again?” he laughed. “You’re going to make me cry, too.”

   “I just…really liked it,” you laughed also, because you knew you were being ridiculous. The joy inside of you was so great – it filled your heart and made you feel ready to burst.

   “The song, or the bracelet?”

   “I really liked the song, you have an amazing voice….and I really liked the bracelet, too, it sparkles,” you chuckled. “And I really like you,” you finished shyly, hiding your face against his chest.

   Jinyoung blushed so red that his face practically blended in with his hair. Resting his chin on top of his head, no words were needed as the two of you simply held each other, in the middle of the candles, the balloons and the streamers, underneath the night sky.