I Like You Best

I Like You Best

Both of us need some space. You’re very busy, so am I. I think this would be the best option for both of us. I’m sorry.

 

Gikwang stared at the cell phone screen for several seconds until it went blank. He knew it. He’s already expecting it.

“Guys, water break is over! Let’s continue!” he heard Doojoon call everybody’s attention. Everyone, expect Gikwang, stood up to get back to practicing.

“Hyung, what are you waiting for? Come here!” Dongwoon, the youngest in the group, pulled him to the center of the dance studio to continue the rehearsal.

 

Lee Gikwang is a member of the ever-famous boy group which goes by the name Boys of the East Standing Tall, or, to make it short, BEAST. The group is made up of six members. The oldest in the group, Yoon Doojoon, is the leader. Jang Hyunseung, the second oldest, is the group’s lead dancer, followed by Yong Junhyung who’s in charge of rapping, Yang Yoseob as the main vocalist and Gikwang as the lead vocalist. Son Dongwoon, often called the Arab Prince, is the maknae, and also labelled as the face of the group.

Gikwang plays a very vital role in his group, and so he is always jam-packed with tons of rehearsals, recordings, along with some TV appearances and drama tapings. Sometimes he even stays later than the other members in the studio for voice rehearsals. Just imagine how busy his every day is.

 

Maybe that’s one reason why Chaeri decided to break up with him. The other reason would probably be… the fans. Chaeri always gets hated by most of fans whenever she shows up on BEAST’s performances and guestings. That’s one thing she hated in being his girlfriend. She is a private person and didn’t want other people to be interfering between their relationship.

 

At least that’s what Gikwang thinks.

 But, nonetheless, the idea of her breaking up with him hurts a lot.

 

Hana, dul, set, net! Hana, dul—Gikwang! You’re doing it the wrong way! Turn right. You’re blocking Hyunseung!” Doojoon paused the music, making the other members stop dancing as well.

He scratched his head. “Ah… Sorry, hyung.” Those were the only words he managed to say.

Yoseob, who was behind him, spoke. “Gikwang-ah, gwaenchanha? You seem like your mind’s wandering off in another universe.” Junhyung snapped Yoseob’s left earlobe. “Ya, stop joking around Yoseob. Gikwang, are you already tired? You can just go home and take a rest while we continue rehearsing here.” He was worried.

“No, hyung, really, I’m okay. But can I… take a break? Just for a while hyung.” Gikwang was physically, mentally, and emotionally tired. His mind couldn’t think properly that time and his hands and feet won’t coordinate when dancing.

Junhyung nodded. “Sure. Five minutes. Doojoon hyung! Let’s start from the top!” the other members started again.

 

***

“I’m sorry oppa. I know you need this.” Chaeri whispered to herself while putting down her phone on the side table. She lied down on her bed to try to stop the tears from falling.

 

Keeping up with Gikwang is not a piece of cake. Before BEAST debuted, he promised her that she won’t be exposed in public once they started in the entertainment industry. But it was almost impossible, and maybe, inevitable. Netizens and sahsaeng fans just won’t give up finding out who that big obstacle (that’s how the fans call her) was. And for more than a year, she has already received hundreds of threats. The other fans just won’t let her go, sometimes they’d try to attract Gikwang just to get her jealous.

Chaeri is possessive. Very possessive, and she always gets jealous over those female artistes Gikwang gets paired up with. Everytime she sees comments like “Oppa and Unni look good together, they should marry each other,” “Gikwang’s girlfriend should disappear because I’m better than her,” and thousand others, she just couldn’t help but break into millions of pieces.

 

And now was her last straw. She’s been patient for the longest time and she thinks she can’t tolerate more.

But she still loves him. Nobody else could ever change that. Maybe it’s just that she’s not yet ready for things like those.

Chaeri heard her phone rang. It was a text message from Gikwang. She opened it.

 

Can you do me a favor? Just for the last time.

She typed for a reply. Of course. What is it?

Chaeri waited for several minutes until she received a reply.

 

We’ll be having a fansigning event in Yeoksamdong Auditorium this Saturday at 4 PM. Please come.

 

“Yeoksamdong. Saturday. Hmm.” And she thought for a moment.

I’m free that day. I’ll come oppa.

He replied a “thanks” with an “I love you” after it. She sighed. She returned her phone on the table and tried to sleep all those thoughts off her mind.

 

***

Saturday.

 

Chaeri prepared to go to the auditorium fifteen minutes away from their house. She put bangs and shades for a disguise since she can’t be seen by the crowd. After parking her car, she went inside. Lots of people filled the rows of chairs. She talked to one of the organizers of the event, who was also her close friend.

 

“Uh, Joohyun ah.” She said, lowering her voice.

The girl who was called turned around. “Yes? Oh, Chaeri unni—” Chaeri covered immediately before anybody else could hear them. “Shh. I came in quietly. Are there still vacant seats in front?” she asked. Joohyun nodded and mumbled. “Nggrrhhh…” that was what came out. She immediately removed her hand. “Oh, I’m sorry. What were you trying to say again?”

“Come, I’ll take you to the center seat. Gikwang already told me to accompany you there as soon as you arrive.” Joohyun explained.

“Thanks, Joohyun.”

“No problem unni.” She replied.

 

After two more hours of waiting, BEAST already came in front of the stage. Fans started shouting and the others were already chanting.

 

“Annyeong haseyo, BEAST imnida!” the six of them enthusiastically greeted.

“Yeoreobun annyeong haseyo, I’m leader Yoon Doojoon.”

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m cutie pie Yang Yoseob!”

“Hello, I’m your joker Yong Junhyung.”

“Hello, this is deer-eyed Jang Hyunseung.”

“Annyeong haseyo, I’m the real maknae, Son Dongwoon imnida!”

“Hi everyone, I’m chocolate abs Lee Gikwang!”

 

The fans shouted much louder. Chaeri turned around to see many posters and banners with the members’ names and photos. She shook her head in disbelief.

After some more minutes the group already performed songs from their newest album.

 

“Hi again! This first song is from our newest mini-album, Lights Go On Again. This is for you, our B2utiful fans!”

The six of them started performing “Beautiful”.

Chaeri was enjoying the performance because it was her first time to hear the song. She looked at Gikwang. When he sings his lines she noticed he was looking at her the whole time. Chaeri felt something tingling inside.

 

Lord, tell me, why does this man never fail to daze me?

 

A couple of several songs and their last performance was about to start. Gikwang stood in front of the stage. Chaeri was barely two meters away from him.

“We would like to thank everyone for your cheer. Can we hear it some more?” he said, making the fans shout for more.

“Everyone, this last song we will perform is entitled I Like You Best.” He stopped for a while and looked at her. “I dedicate this song to the one and only woman I love. Im Chaeri, I want you to know that I love you so much. Niga jeil joha!” he smiled, looking directly at her. “Yeoreobun, please enjoy our last number.”

 

Chaeri was surprised when he mentioned her name. And, to add more to her surprise, she could hear many fans cheer in happiness. “Gikwang! Gikwang!” they said. She looked up again and watched BEAST perform.

 

This song is for you

You know this is

 

Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah

Ooohh baby baby girl

 

Gikwang winked and pointed at her. Chaeri felt her heart flutter.

 

When the chorus part was already near, Gikwang went down the stage and walked towards her. Chaeri’s lips parted in awe as he held her hands while singing.

 

Nan niga jeil joha

I like you the best

Niga jeil yeppeo

You are the prettiest

Jinaganeun gotgot maeryeogi da heulleo

Wherever you pass by, your charms spill all over

 

“O-Oppa…” Chaeri almost cannot speak. She was almost deafened by the fans’ screams. Gikwang already went back the stage but she is still in shock.

Several minutes have passed, and the song has already ended. The MC went up and made an announcement.

 

“May we request everyone to please wait while the members get ready for the album signing. Meanwhile, please be ready of your albums and gifts for them. We will start in a few.”

Chaeri was still quiet. I like you best. You’re the prettiest. The song is… for me? She thought. The lyrics of the song replayed on her mind.

 

Niga jeil joha.

Niga jeil joha.

 

“He… Gikwang oppa…”

 

“Everybody, again, here is BEAST! For those holding the numbers 1-50, please fall in line at the right side of the stadium.” The MC said.

She looked at him. He was smiling, preparing his marker.

“Oppa…”

 

Chaeri stood up quickly and ran upstage towards his seat.  Gikwang was surprised when she pulled her from his chair.

“Chaeri ah…” he uttered looking directly to her eyes.

With tears triggering to fall, Chaeri pulled the collar of his suit, pulled him close, and gave him a kiss on the lips.

 

Oppa, I’m sorry. I’d be very willing to tolerate all those death threats and the hate they have for me, as long as I have you by my side. I love you so much, oppa.

 

He was obviously surprised. But instead, he pulled her even closer, and placed his hands, one on her waist, and the other on her cheek.

She could hear the fans scream in disagreement, surprise and happiness.

But she doesn’t care anymore. All she knows right at that moment was, she loves him so much. And he loves her too.

He likes her the best.