Chapter 11

Long Lost Memories

Raymond snapped his briefcase shut and looked up to see Ron leaning against the doorway with a silly grin on his face.  "Looking for me?" he asked cautiously, not liking the gleam in Ron's eyes and an uncanny feeling that his friend was up to something.

"Are you on your way out?" Ron asked as he strode into the office, his silly grin still plastered on his face.

"Actually I was," Raymond responded and narrowed his eyes at Ron, "Just spit it out.  What do you want?"

"Touche," Ron chuckled and seeing the flare of annoyance on Raymond's face he quickly asked, "Any plans for the night?"

"No, what do you have in mind?" Raymond asked casually as they headed towards the elevators.

"I'm meeting up with Nancy and Myolie for dinner and was wondering if you might care to join us."

Raymond quirked an eye at Ron and said pensively, "You seem to be getting very close with them.  Did you and Tavia break up without telling me?"

"Hell no!" Ron exploded, aghast at the very idea of it.  When he saw the mockery on Raymond's face he softened his tone and said seriously, "Tavia and I will never break up.  We're at this stage where our love is strong and stable and nothing, and I mean nothing, can break us up."

Suppressing a chuckle at Ron's words and the seriousness of it, Raymond continued to badger him, "Are you sure you're not getting bored with Tavia?  Maybe you are but don't know it yet.  That's why you're always hanging out with Nancy and Myolie."

Sighing with exasperation Ron said, "The only reason I've been hanging around them is because of you."  He saw the surprise on Raymond's face and gave him a firm pat on the back.  "You owe me buddy," he said with a smirk as he passed Raymond out the elevator.

Intrigued by the comment, Raymond rushed after Ron, "What do you mean I owe you?"

Ron continued to walk as he asked coyly, "Does the mention of Myolie do anything for you?"

Raymond knew instantly what Ron was getting at.  This wasn't the first time that Ron had played matchmaker for him.  He could barely remember the faces of the countless women Ron set him up with.  On all those past dates, he found none of the women interesting enough to see again.  Except this time around the person Ron was trying to get him together with was someone that he worked with and genuinely liked.  To be honest he was quite fond of Myolie and enjoy being with her.  But he can't seem to shut out his lingering feelings for Charmaine.  He had spent many restless nights trying to sort out his feelings and when morning comes his feelings were still as chaotic as when he went to bed.  On one hand he wanted to give himself and Myolie a chance but on the other, the thought of forgetting and letting Charmaine go troubled him immensely.  In truth, he didn't want to forget her at all.  He still has high hopes that they would be together again one day.  He knew it was crazy of him to think this way but he can't help himself.  Now feeling Ron's eyes on him, Raymond said, "How do you want me to answer you?"

Ron stopped walking and resting his hands on his hips said, "For starters, how about telling me whether you like her or not?"

"I do," Raymond answered immediately, "But…"

"No buts," Ron interrupted with a smile as he placed an arm around Raymond's shoulders and began leading him down the street.  "You like her and she likes you.  Isn't that how all relationship begins."

"But…" Raymond started again but didn't get the chance to finish.

"Trust me," Ron said then stopped in front of a restaurant, "We're here."

Raymond looked up at the restaurant.  Japanese.  Giving Ron an inquiring look he mused, "You don't like sushi."

Ron opened the door and gently pushed Raymond in, "I don't but Myolie does and there she is.  Now smile."

-----------------------------------------------

Charmaine stood in front of the stove stir frying some vegetables for dinner.  She heard Kevin come home a few minutes ago and waited for his appearance.  When she heard the soft tap of his footsteps echoing down the hall she turned off the flame.

"Smells good," Kevin said as he walked up behind Charmaine and slid his arms around her waist.  "Did you miss me today?"

"You know I did," Charmaine answered softly then removed his arms to get a nearby plate.

Kevin took the spatula and plate from her hands and began scooping up the vegetables.  "Are you sure you're up to cooking for my birthday?  If not, we can always eat out in a restaurant."

While Kevin was doing that, Charmaine took out two bowls from an overhead cabinet and walked towards the rice cooker.  Flashing him a mischievous grin she teased lightly, "Don't worry about tiring me out unless you're afraid my cooking isn't good enough to entertain your new co-workers."

Kevin laughed and after putting down the plate he went over to nuzzle her neck.  "Your cooking is fit enough to cook for a five star hotel."  Turning serious he murmured tenderly, "I just don't want to tire you out."

Charmaine set the bowls down and turned in his arms bringing her hands to his shoulders.  Locking her eyes with his she assured, "I'm fine.  You have nothing to worry about."

"Are you sure?" Kevin prodded, his eyes searching her face, "I've noticed that you've been kind of quiet lately and haven't been smiling much.  Is something bothering you?"

Charmaine wished Kevin wasn't so perceptive to her moods at times.  Looking away quickly she stammered nervously, "O-Of course not.  I-I guess I'm just not used to being back in Hong Kong."  Or more likely, seeing Raymond again, which was the real cause behind her sudden change.  But she couldn't tell Kevin that.  How could she when she couldn't even explain it to herself.  Raymond was her past and he shouldn't be able to keep her awake at night thinking about him.  She hadn't dreamed or thought about him in more than three years.  Since bumping into him again she found herself replaying that scene over and over in her mind.  And each time she replayed that scene, her pulse would quicken as she recall the way his eyes held hers with such longing and regret.

Kevin's eyes continued to watch her closely.  He saw the tension and confusion on her face and wished he knew what she was thinking.  Capturing her chin with his fingers he forced her to look at him and said tenderly, "Please tell me what's bothering you.  You should know that I will always be here for you no matter what."

"I know," Charmaine whispered achingly.  Not wanting to continue the discussion she smile brightly and said, "I swear nothing is bothering me.  If something was you'll be the first to know."

Kevin gave her one last intense look as he weighed the truth of her words then with a small smile he said softly, "I'll take your word on it."  He felt Charmaine pull away but quickly held onto her waist with his hands, "I have something I want to talk to you about."

"What is it?" Charmaine asked.

Locking his eyes with hers, Kevin said, "I want us to have a baby."

"A-A baby?" Charmaine repeated hoarsely as she untangled herself from Kevin's hold.  Why did the prospect of that frighten her whereas she should be delighted?  After all, wasn't she the one who suggested having a baby only a few months ago?

Puzzled by her reaction Kevin said slowly, "Yes a baby.  I know when you mentioned it to me a few months ago, I told you I didn't want to have children for another two or three years.  But that was because we were in the process of moving to Hong Kong.  I wasn't certain how things were going to work out for us.  Now that we're here and everything is pretty much stable for us, this is the perfect time.  What do you think?"

Charmaine couldn't seem to concentrate on what Kevin was saying.  All that was going through her mind was that a baby would tie her to Kevin forever.  Suddenly the idea of having something as permanent as a baby in their marriage relieved some of her earlier anxiety.  Perhaps a baby would be just the thing to finally erase any and all lingering memories of Raymond.  Smiling genuinely now, she looked up excitedly at Kevin, "A baby!  I say yes!"

Laughing happily Kevin lifted Charmaine into his arms and headed out the kitchen.

"Where are you taking me?" Charmaine shrieked, caught up with Kevin's boisterous laughter.

Kevin paused long enough to whisper huskily, "To start on our baby."