Of All Places

Better Late than Never

 

Hyun Joong’s POV

I can’t believe it. Shin Hye didn’t accept my proposal. WHY? I thought we’re truly madly deeply in love with each other? What went wrong? Was it because of Yong Hwa-ssi? Aish! It’s rude pointing fingers. I guess I need time to ponder on things. But how? My schedule is jam-packed! I’ve been busy as hell after the dinner at Shin Hye’s house. My phone is off and I can’t find my charger. Darn it! Shin Hye must have been worrying about me. But, this is better I guess. I don’t think I’m ready to talk to her yet, after what happened.

The plane landed safely. A lot of people welcomed me in the airport. I was really overwhelmed by these fans! They even made signboards and banners for me. There’s this girl who approached me and put a necklace of flowers in my neck. I was really touched. They were right. Citizens here are really hospitable. I really felt their warm welcome for me.

While we are on our way to the hotel,

“Hyun Joong, if I were Shin Hye, I’ll probably be mad at you right now after watching this!”

Manager Cha handed me his iPad. He was video-streaming on this channel in Korea. I was even shocked myself after watching it. I put both my hands on my face. Oh. My. God. Did I just say that?! I AM THE MOST STUPIDEST PERSON EVER! She’s surely angry at me right now.

“Why did you say that Hyun Joong? Nothing has been official yet, eh? Tsk. Tsk. You’re dead for sure.” My manager said while shaking his head.

I finally reached the door of my room. When I opened it, I was really amazed. It’s simple yet classy, and very spacious! Everything inside is either just black or white—minimalistic but very elegant.

I wanted to take some rest but I still have a mall show to attend to.

“Hyun Joong, you only have an hour to prepare. Meet me downstairs when you’re done.” Manager Cha reminded me before I could lie down on the bed.

End of POV

***

So Min’s POV

“See you next time, Jana.” I waved goodbye to my classmate as we have just finished our class in Econometrics. Good thing my classes are done for today so I have some time to spare to stroll around here in Manila.

 I love the school I’m attending here, right now. There are trees everywhere. Everyone breathes fresh air. Students here actually jog or walk or even bike around the oval during their free time. This university is like a park. Everyone can just go in and out of the campus without having an ID or gate pass, except for the college buildings and libraries, of course. I’m currently an exchange student at the University of the Philippines-Diliman Campus, taking up Masters in Economics. I was pretty surprised because I didn’t find it hard to blend in for students are very friendly. Besides, there are also lots of Koreans here so I became easily comfortable here.

The weather here is always sunny so it’s pretty hot in here. I rode this public transport vehicle, which they call a ‘jeep’ going to TriNoMa. I was amazed by how people passed each other’s fares and changes here and there. Unlike in Korea where the bus has its own bus stops, you can just tell the driver ‘’para’’ to stop and you’ll definitely be in front of your destination.

My eyes widened when I entered the mall! GOSH! It’s really big! There are gazillion stores inside! Name what you want! Food, clothes, shoes, and even a noraebang, they all have it here! I went to this cozy restaurant named Café Mary Grace and ordered their best-seller ‘ensaymada’, a bread topped with lots of cheese and sugar. It was really delicious!

My next stop was to go The Face Shop and buy some stuffs for my ‘beautification rituals’, and also to take a look at Hyun Joong’s new posters, if any. As I was approaching the shop, I noticed numerous people came out of the store. Is The Face Shop really famous here?! It’s the only store that has as much customers as compared to the others. I went to the guard and asked him politely about the commotion.

“It’s because of that guy.” He pouted his lips to Hyun Joong’s standee.

“They all went crazy just because of the poster?” I asked him with great curiosity once more. I can’t believe Filipinos are that fanatic over Kim Hyun Joong.

“Hindi. I mean, no. He was just here a while ago. He even performed at the activity center at the atrium earlier.”

I couldn’t believe what I just heard. HE WAS HERE?! I went to the atrium to check if he’s still there but there are already people cleaning the place. How couldn’t have I known about this! Aish! I searched around the mall until I reached the terrace but he’s nowhere to be found. It must have really ended.

I entered this ice cream shop named ‘Gelatissimo’ with a heavy heart. Only ice creams can make me feel better. Their flavors are quite interesting. I pointed to the crew the one with the chocolate with a large green pepper beside it. Chocolate and pepper?! Filipinos’ tastes are quite… odd.

There’s not much customers inside, there’s only one, actually. He was wearing a coat and a pair of sunglasses in a very hot sunny day. Quite suspicious. I kinda remember myself when I followed Yong Hwa in his meeting with Shin Hye only to find out that she’s already with Hyun Joong.

I sat down in one of the tables and have a mouthful of my ice cream. When I tasted it, it wasn’t really spicy at all. But when I gulped it down to the throat, it was really scorching hot. I was signaling one of the crews to give me a glass of water but she doesn’t seem to understand what I’m trying to say. Good thing, the stranger next to me, the only customer aside from me, gave me his bottle of water. I immediately grabbed it from his hand.

“Gwaenchanha?”

I was shocked to hear that from him. Is it really obvious that I’m Korean?!

“Ne. Gamsahamnida.”

But then I was even more shocked when I realized that the voice was familiar. Really familiar. My chinky eyes suddenly became round as ever. He was smiling at me, as if he was really happy to see me.

“Ki… Kim… Kim Hyun Joong-ssi?!”

“Sshh…”

The crew looked at us suspiciously. I’m so stupid. I forgot he’s a celebrity.

“Let’s get out of here.”

We immediately went out of the store before the cashier could speculate things.

“That was close. Kekeke.”

He was really happy. But I’m definitely happier. I never imagined that we will accidentally bump into each other here, outside Korea! I mean, it’s too slim a chance for us to meet here!

“So, why are you here?” He asked me while we were strolling around the terrace.

“I’m an exchange student taking up my master’s degree in Economics in the University of the Philippines. I only have a week to stay here. ”

“Wow! You’re already on your graduate degree? That’s great for you!”

“How about you, Hyun Joong-ssi? Why are you here?! Aren’t you busy for your promotions?”

I can’t believe I’m talking to him in casually.

“Stop addressing me ssi. Just Hyun Joong-ah will be fine. We’re friends, right?”

“Jinja?”

“Of course we are. Shin Hye’s friends are also my friends.”

He suddenly let out a sigh after saying that. He still must have been thinking about what happened at Shin Hye’s house. I tried to cheer him up by giving him a big smile.

“What?”

“What do you mean what?”

“You still haven’t finished answering my question.”

“Ah! Why I’m here, right? Because the mall tour is just my only activity for today so, I’m killing my time strolling around here with my disguise. Is it effective?”

“Ne. No one will ever suspect that you are Kim Hyun Joong with your attire. But, don’t you think your clothes aren’t appropriate for the weather? They might suspect you for doing something bad.”

“But I’m not doing anything bad. Just act normal and that’s it. By the way, if this is really effective, then how are you able to recognize me?”

“I’m your superfan remember? Kekekeke.”

“So, you’re a stalker or something? Should I be afraid of you?”

“Aniyo!”

“Kekekeke. I was just kidding. I know you’re a good person. So Min-ah, take me somewhere else.”

“Mwo?”

“I’m bored. Take me somewhere else. Surprise me So Min-ah!”

He looked really excited as if we’re going to a zoo or something. I’m glad I was able to see this side of him. It’s an honor for a fan to tour her idol, right? This is really my lucky day!

***

 

Author’s Note: I decided not to change the plot since most of you said so.  :) I’m glad you’re still hanging on to this story of mine. Big big thanks to all of you!!  >>:D<<

Sorry if So Min talked too much about the university she’s currently studying in. It’s because, I’m actually studying there and I’m currently taking up my bachelor’s degree in Economics so I pretty know much about the University of the Philippines, or UP for short.  :)

I hope I didn’t disappoint HyunMin fans with this chapter. Wish granted! <3

YongShin shippers, I know I didn’t give you some dooleysional moments in this chap but I’ll surely flood you with YongShin highlights in the next few chapters. I still want you to ponder about where they are going. Kekeke.  :)

Comments are very much welcomed!  :)

P.S. Here’s a fact: I’m not really that knowledgeable in photoshop so I couldn’t make a poster for my fics. If only someone can do one for me… I would really appreciate it a lot. :”>