Hello, Taryn

Lies

After stepping outside, I tested the handle to make sure the door was locked and headed towards the stairwell, a little bit giddy at the thought of going outside. I skipped the elevator and took the stairs two at a time, my bag bouncing against my sharp hipbone as I descended the flights.

As I finally walked into the lobby of the building, my vision began to darken. My tongue got a weird fuzzy feeling, and my legs grew weak as dizziness overtook me. Oh crap! I quickly located the nearest wall just as my knees gave out. I managed to not totally fall, but rather, I ungraciously slid down the wall with help from my hands and arms. In a relatively safe posture, I stuck my head between my knees and rode out the immense dizzy feeling, begging my body not to let me pass out. “Taryn, you idiot, you should have known that not eating equals low blood sugar,” I muttered to myself, clenching my eyes shut against the familiar sensation, breathing heavily to combat the stuffy feeling of the air.

Finally my vision cleared and I felt like I would be able to stand without falling down again. Slowly, I stood unsteadily, leaning on the wall for support. Making sure I had full control of my body again, I started walking across the lobby again, making sure my mask was in place to hide my slightly redder cheeks. Thank goodness nobody was in here, I thought, looking around the plush area. That would have been really embarrassing.

I strolled through the doors, smiling and waving at the security guy, who bowed back at me. Once outside, I quickly noted the convenience store a little bit away and the café directly next to it. I could smell coffee and bread wafting towards me, which made me weaker than ever. I took a step in its direction, but then was abruptly stopped by the feeling of someone watching me. I spun around, trying to see if that were the case, but the street was next to empty of pedestrians. The few that were there weren’t paying any attention to me, maybe because I didn’t stand out with my dark hair and similar skin tone to them. It wasn’t quite empty of cars, as they zipped by me within touching distance. I was faintly surprised to see them driving on the correct side of the road, like in North America. Strange, I thought it would be the opposite considering it’s Asia and all.

Then I started coughing a bit, and I realized why there were little to no pedestrians. The air quality was terrible! I pressed my mask closer to my face, immensely glad Henry had bought me the thing, and soon my coughs stopped.

I shrugged off the feeling of being watched and headed in the opposite direction towards the small patch of green I could see a few blocks away on the opposite side of the street. As I grew nearer, I realized it was the park, but it was so much bigger than I was expecting! Instead of normal playground equipment like in parks nowadays, it was just this immense expanse of green smack dab in the middle of the city. Trees and bushes were at odd intervals throughout the grass, and pathways s their way through the park. I could see Korean people sitting on the benches or walking their colorful and fancy pets, and children chasing each other through the trees. I even saw a trio of boys, no older than me, walking along the outskirts of the park towards a short and squat building, holding each other’s hands. That struck me as odd. Were they gay or something? Note to self: ask Henry about holding hands later.

I spent about an hour and a half simply exploring the park and walking the paths, thoroughly enjoying myself for the first time today. I had even pet a few of the dressy dogs (I swear, Koreans have this thing for dressing up and grooming their pets!) and I was pretty tired now. I headed towards a nearby bench next to a cluster of bushes and trees, just off of one of the paths.

My phone rang as I sat down at the bench. Thinking it was Henry or one of the girls, I didn’t bother to check the caller ID. “Hello?”

“Hello, Taryn.”

I froze, and my blood ran cold. No…

I asked, my voice shaking, “What do you want with me?”

I could hear the man on the other end chuckle a bit. “Just tell me. Why are you in South Korea and not in Las Vegas with your family?”

“How did you know where I am?”

He tsked at me, chiding me. “Now, now, little Taryn. I have my methods.” Then his voice turned icy. “Now answer my question, you worthless girl.”

I bit my lip and automatically drew my knees up to my chest on the chair. “I-I’m visiting my brother,” I murmured quietly.

“And how much does he know about you?”

“N-nothing, I swear!” I said, panicking a bit and starting to stutter. “P-please, just leave me a-alone. Just for t-this week.”

I could literally hear his disapproval. “Taryn, you idiot. If you didn’t have me keeping track of you, everything we’ve worked so hard for would be ruined. We wouldn’t want that now, would we?”

“D-does that mean you’re here?”

“You can’t see me, but I can see you.”

I choked a little bit on my tongue.

“By the way, those jeans make you look fat. You need to throw them out. When was the last time you ate, or exercised for that matter? You look like a freaking whale!” he yelled at me over the phone.

Tears started to make their way out from underneath my eyelids at the abrasive words, and I hugged my knees closer to my chest. “I haven’t eaten in the past thirty-seven hours I think, except f-for a bit of a rice tube thing two or three hours ago, and I went for a walk for an hour and a half just now,” I whispered.

“Walk for another two hours before you return to the Super Junior dorms. Before you do, return to the convenience store near the dorms and buy a package of seaweed. Only eat one of the strips, then start walking. That package of seaweed is the only thing you can eat today, but I don’t want you passing out and creating a spectacle of yourself like what nearly happened earlier. Understand?” His voice cut into me like a knife.

I meekly nodded my head, my tears flowing freely now.

“Say it!”

“I understand,” I said, my voice trembling.

“Good girl,” he said. “And just so you know, kimchi, which looks like rotten vegetables, is relatively safe in small quantities, so be sure that’s the only thing you eat at the dorms. And when you go back to the dorms, remember everything I told you about your dear brother Henry, alright, fat child? He is an idol, after all.” Then I heard the line go dead, and I started sobbing into my sweatshirt.

He was right. He’s always been right. I should have known that he wouldn’t leave me alone even if I traveled six thousand miles. I should have known he was still watching me. I should have known that our plans wouldn’t become unimportant if I came to Korea.

I sniffed and stood up, moving my mask a bit to wipe my nose with my sleeve as I set off to buy the seaweed. I should have known.

~~~~~~

I'm back, guys!! :D Sorry about the MIA thing I had going on, I've just been going through a tough time. Anyway, comment and tell me who you think this man is! I want to see if any of you are right! :)