History

History

The world was already blanketed by the dark sky when Daehyun finished his biology homework, he realized it after he took a glance at the window beside him. Then, he turned his head to face the clock on his nightstand, 11.47 pm. He rushed himself to stand up from his seat and lied on the bed, closing his eyes tightly afterwards. He needed to sleep right now if he didn’t want to be late for the school tomorrow. Well, it was not like Daehyun liked going to school that much, he just had a reputation that he had to keep, The Perfect Student.

~~~

Daehyun scanned his surrounding carefully, being too unfamiliar with the view around him. He assumed that he was in a hall, not really a big one, not a small one either, with a huge cantilever at each corner. There were not many people fulfilled this room, just some boys and an old man could be seen. Those boys were covered only with white fabric, they kinda looked like underwear, leaving the upper bodies . But, it did not surprise Daehyun much. In fact, he didn’t really notice it before, because he was too surprised to see what those boys were doing. They were fighting to each other like beastly animals, trying to knock the person in front of them with all powers that they had.

“Come on, Alexander!” The old man shouted while approaching two boys right in front of Daehyun. “Where’s your hunger to twist Hephaestion’s head off?”

Daehyun stared at those boys, Alexander and Hephaestion were their names, if he did not get it wrong. As what that old man shouted just now, he concluded that the one who was beating the boy under him nonstop was Hephaestion. And of course, the boy who was helplessly made an effort to fight back, trying to push the other away from his body, was Alexander.

“Who will respect you as a king?” The old man continued to shout. “You think because of your father?”

Daehyun furrowed his eyebrow in confusion as he heard the man’s remark. So, this boy in front of him was a prince? Man, Daehyun really never had a thought that he would meet a prince in his life.

Daehyun noticed that the Alexander boy was trying even more to return the hit that Hephaestion was throwing to him, maybe because the words that slipped from the old man’s lips was sparking the anger inside Alexander. Nonetheless, the anger couldn’t give a help to him.

“Good, Hephaestion. That’s it.” The old man stopped their fight, patting Hephaestion shoulder in the process.

Daehyun thought that the old man made a good move. If he did not stop the fight right now, Daehyun couldn’t even imagined how many more hit that Hephaestion would throw to Alexander.

When Hephaestion stood up from his position, finally stopped sandwiching Alexander’s body with the sandy floor, Alexander was about to revenge by pushing Hephaestion down. Yet, the old man made a good move again, he blocked Hephaestion before Alexander even got to do his revenge to the other.

“You did well, Alexander. But, you lost.”

Daehyun thought there were two options why Alexander lost, he was too weak or Hephaestion was too strong.

“Now, both of you, congratulate the other. Go on.”

Alexander, who was still looked a little bit angry by his lost, refused to say anything. Instead, Hephaestion came with a startling question. “Would you want me to let you win, Alexander?”

There was a pause between their conversations for a moment, before Alexander gave his reply, a startling reply as well. “You are right. But, one day I will beat you, Hephaestion.”

And after that, the peripheral around Daehyun became a blur image, getting fuzzier and fuzzier in each second that had passed, before everything turned black.

~~~

Daehyun’s eyes snapped open at a sudden as his clock roared, fulfilling the bedroom with the loud sound. Daehyun immediately reached a hand to his nightstand and turned it off, before that machine could make a fatal damage to his ears. He slowly sat up, back leaning to the headboard, eyes moving from left to right, up and down. And the realization hit him afterwards, those Alexander and Hephaestion thing was only a dream. But, why did everything look so real?

~~~

“Good morning, students.”

Daehyun came back from his reverie as his mathematic teacher’s voice, Cho Kyuhyun, resonated into his ears. He titled his head from the window to the front and he quickly noticed another unknown person stood beside Mr. Cho.

“We have a new student today. Please introduce yourself.”

That person smiled a little bit, maybe trying to show his etiquette to the others (etiquette, respect, manner, and something like that are so important in South Korea anyway), before he started to speak. “Hello. My name is Yoo Youngjae. Even I’m a Korean, this is my first time I came here, I lived in China since I was born. So, please take a good care of me. Thank you.”

Murmurs and whispers started to charge the classroom. Some people were curious about the new guy, wanted to know more about him. The others were praising his Korean language ability (Korean language was hard, Daehyun knew it, since he saw many foreigners struggled to learn it. It was surprising that this boy could speak Korean well although he never came here before), included Kim Himchan, one of Daehyun’s close friends who sat in front of him. “Wow, this boy speaks Korean well.”

Daehyun shrugged his shoulders lazily, acting unamused as best as he could. “Well, he is a Korean. It’s nothing surprising.”

Himchan cocked his eyebrow quizzically at Daehyun’s words. “I have this Japanese blood from my great-grandfather. Yet, I didn’t even know how to speak the language beside arigatou gozaimasu.”

Again, Daehyun shrugged his shoulders. “We all know that you are lazy as a pig, Himchan. You don’t even have an urge to study, let alone Japanese language.”

Himchan’s face suddenly turned sour, his eyes screamed unpleased. “If you are not my friend, and if you are not Yongguk’s childhood friend, I would already beat the out of you now.”

“I’m just stating the fact, mind you.” Daehyun said calmly, the threat that Himchan threw to him didn’t give an effect. Well, even Himchan really wanted to beat him, Daehyun was sure that he wouldn’t win against him. Daehyun was one of the best martial arts players in this school. There was no way he could lose.

Himchan was about to say something again. But, his words must vanish into the thin air as Mr. Cho shushed the students with a loud voice.

“Silent!”

And Daehyun couldn’t help but think Mr. Cho looked like Dumbledore in this state, and he found it so funny. Nevertheless, he thought that his friends didn’t catch it, neither of them laughed or smiled now. So, Daehyun should hold down his laughter by making a poker face. He didn’t want to embarrass himself by laughing like a fool out of the blue while the others gave him weird looks. No, it would his reputation.

“Now, Youngjae-ssi, you can sit…” Mr. Cho scanned the classroom for a brief seconds, trying to find an unoccupied chair.

“There.” He pointed to an empty seat right beside Daehyun’s.

Youngjae bowed his head before stepped away to the said seat. After his hit the chair, he observed the classroom for a moment before his eyes landed on Daehyun. And Daehyun, who could feel the stare, immediately span his head towards the other.

“What?” Daehyun tried to sound as normal as he could. Truth to be told, Daehyun was not really comfortable when someone gave him an intense stare like that.

And Youngjae, who seemed to be so shocked after he got caught, turned his head to the side right away without saying anything, leaving Daehyun’s question left unanswered.

~~~

“Raise your hand if you can finish this equation.” Mr. Cho said once he finished writing the question on the board.

Daehyun, being a smart student he was, immediately scribbled that equation upon his notebook, quickly finding the solution for the question. Not long after, as expected, he had found the answer. Unfortunately, as he was about to raise his hand, someone did it first. Daehyun was truly shocked at this. No one could ever beat him before, not even that Son Dongwoon who always be the 2nd rank. Moreover, the person who broke his record was that new student, Yoo Youngjae.

“Oh, Youngjae-ssi. Come to the front and write your answer on the board.”

The boy did as what Mr. Cho told him to. And Daehyun even more shocked as he saw that his answer was right. Not only him, the others in the classroom was currently staring at Youngjae with amazement, included Mr. Cho.

“Wow, Youngjae-ssi. You are really a smart student.”

“Thank you.” The boy smiled shyly as he receiving the compliment from Mr. Cho. If only Daehyun was not in a bad mood right now, he would think this Youngjae was kinda cute. But, he stole Daehyun’s spotlight, he stole the compliment that should be for him only, and there was no way he would think this little stealer cute.

~~~

Daehyun thought that his bad mood would disappear with the food that he was currently eating right now. Well, food was one of the best escapes from the stress. However, he couldn’t enjoy his meal even just for a little bit, not when Himchan was rambling about that new boy nonstop to the others.

“Guys, he is so smart, believe me. He could speak Korean language so well even he never came here before. He leaved in China before, it means he can speak Mandarin, right? Oh, and when Mr. Cho gave us a question, he could answer it quickly, even Daehyun lost to him.”

Daehyun, who didn’t like the fact that he lost to the new student, defended himself. “I didn’t lose to him, okay? It’s just my hand move slower than him at that moment.”

Himchan stared at Daehyun shortly before clapping his hands once and spoke again. “Oh, we found Yoo Youngjae’s new excess. His reflect is better than Daehyun’s.”

“Hey, Himchan, don’t you realize your boyfriend is currently beside you all the time and hearing you praise this new boy too much than you should?”

Himchan grinned widely as he noticed there was a slight of annoyance in Yongguk’s husky voice and upon his handsome face. “Are you jealous?”

“No, I’m happy that my boyfriend cheating on me.” Yongguk replied with sarcasm.

“Oh, my lovely Bang Yongguk, I will never cheat on you. You are my one and only.” Himchan shot his corny words before pecking Yongguk’s cheek.

“Ew, guys, just get a room already.” Jongup decided to interrupt the lovey-dovey couple. “We have an underage boy here, remember?”

Himchan rolled his eyes at Jongup’s remark. “Underage my . Don’t you remember that you had corrupted this underage boy, Jongup?”

A scarlet rosy color immediately crept up upon Jongup’s face, as well as upon the boy’s face in front of him, Choi Junhong, making the trio laughed out loud upon their obviousness.

“Hyung.” This time Junhong decided to voice out. “We never even do anything more than kissing.”

“Yeah, Junhong, save it for later, okay? Now, let us meet this new boy.” Himchan waved his hand into the air before shouted. “Youngjae-ssi.”

The said boy turned his head right away and caught a smiling Himchan in his vision. Himchan made a hand gesture to make the boy approach him, and Youngjae understood it quickly, he immediately moved his feet to Himchan’s direction.

“Youngjae-ssi, have a seat please.”

The remaining empty chair was only the chair beside Daehyun. So, Youngjae didn’t have another choice. Although Daehyun was not comfortable at this position, it was not like he could do anything. Daehyun couldn’t repel this new boy just like that, it was rude if he really did it.

“So, this is the new boy?” Yongguk stared at the boy, giving him a judging look.

“Yup.” Himchan nodded excitedly.

Youngjae, being a new kid he was, started to do introduction as an instinct. “I’m Yoo Youngjae, from class 2-1. Nice to meet you.”

“Now, let me introduce myself.” Himchan was the first one to reply. “I’m Kim Himchan, your classmate. Nice to meet you, Youngjae-ssi.”

“Nice to meet you, Himchan-ssi.”

Yongguk introduced himself after his boyfriend. “I’m Bang Yongguk, from class 2-2. Nice to meet you, Yongjae-ssi.”

“Nice to meet you, Yongguk-ssi.”

Jongup continued the introduction session. “I’m Moon Jongup, I’m in the same class as Yongguk. Nice to meet you, Yongjae-ssi.”

“Nice to meet you, Jongup-ssi.”

And the youngest of the group spoke afterwards. “I’m Choi Junhong, I’m in class 1-4. Nice to meet you, Yongjae-ssi.”

“Ah.” Youngjae nodded his head slightly. “So, you are younger than me? Well, nice to meet you, Junhong-ssi.”

There was a silence hung in the air for a moment, until Yongguk broke it. “You’re not gonna introduce yourself, Daehyun?”

“I…” Daehyun squinted his eyes to the others and he saw anticipations on their faces. Daehyun took a deep breath before he muttered. “I’m Daehyun. Nice too meet you.”

“Ni… Nice to meet you, Daehyun-ssi.” The nervousness in Youngjae’s voice didn’t go unnoticed by the others. However, they just shrugged it off. They concluded it was because Daehyun gave him this cold shoulder.

“So, Youngjae-ssi-“

Before Himchan finished his words, the boy across him interrupted. “Just call me Youngjae.”

“So, Youngjae.” Himchan continued his words again. “Are you interested in joining drama club?”

“Eh?” Youngjae’s eyes widen a little bit before he shook his head. “I’m sorry, I can’t act.”

Hearing Youngjae’s words, Daehyun mentally danced in victory. So, this boy had a shortage too. Well, Daehyun was at acting too. But, at least he was a master at poker face. Doing a poker face was acting too, right?

“Oh, how about the dance club? Me and Junhong are in it.” Jongup tried to promote his club.

Youngjae gave an apologetic smile to Jongup and Junhong. “No, I’m bad at dancing.”

Daehyun cheered happily in his mind. So, this boy couldn’t dance? That was great. Well, Daehyun himself couldn’t dance. But, at least he could do the shuffling dance, thanks to Jongup and Junhong anyway.

“How about music club?” Yongguk suggested his own club to Youngjae.

“No.” Youngjae shook his head once again. “I can’t play any instrument and my voice is not that great.”

Daehyun definitely won against Youngjae this time. He could play guitar and a little bit piano. And his voice? Yongguk said that his voice was actually great. Just need to be trained a little bit more.

“Then, which club is you interested in?” Curiosity fulfilled Himchan’s voice. If it was not the drama club, dance club, or music club, what Youngjae’s choice could be?

“Is there any martial arts club here?”

“What?” The rest of the group shouted in unison, making the other heads in the canteen titled their heads towards them for a brief seconds before they continued their previous activities.

“Ye… Yeah, I knew about martial arts a little bit. I had learnt it when I was in China.” Youngjae said while absentmindedly threw his hand at the back of his neck.

Yongguk cleared his throat to clear the awkward situation. “Well, the person beside you is one of the members of that club.”

Youngjae span his head right away to face the boy beside him and threw him a horror look.

“And he is the president of the club.” Jongup added, making Youngjae’s eyes even wider than before.

Daehyun gave the new boy a small smirk, a smirk that hiding a competitive feeling in it.

Oh yeah, this would be so interesting.

~~~

As the time goes by, the competition between Daehyun and Youngjae was growing intensely. Daehyun found out that the new boy was not only good at mathematic, he was good at all of the subjects. Sometimes, even Daehyun really didn’t want to admit it, courtesy to his high pride, Youngjae was even better than him. When the teacher gave them a question, Daehyun tried so hard to find the answer as quickly as he could, refusing to lose again against the person beside him. Sometimes, he won. He would give this small challenging smirk everytime the victory was at his side. Some other times, when the new student found the answer first, Daehyun would glare him wrathfully.

But, what made Daehyun curious was, even when Youngjae won against him, he never threw him a challenging smirk like he did, and he didn’t glare at Daehyun when he lost against him. Heck, he even barely looked Daehyun in the eyes. There was a time when Youngjae locked eyes with Daehyun, and his reaction after that? He rapidly titled his head to the side, obviously avoided to face the other. Was this the way Youngjae express his hatred towards Daehyun? Or was there another reason behind his act?

~~~

Today was Friday, 4 pm, the time when the Martial Arts Club did a training together. And here Daehyun was, in front of the other members of the club, introducing the boy who stood beside him.

“This is Yoo Youngjae, he is a new student in our school, he is in my class, and he wants to join our club.”

The said boy bowed his head before saying. “Please take a good care of me.”

“Youngjae-ssi.”

All eyes moved towards the source of the voice, to a tall boy with black hair.

“Did you really come from China?” The boy questioned Youngjae with broken Korean language, still understandable though.

Youngjae smiled and gave his reply. “Yeah, I came from China. You too, right?”

“Yeah.” The boy, Huang Zi Tao, people often called him Tao, squeaked excitedly, probably because he finally found another person who came from his country.

“I’m Tao. It’s nice to meet you, Youngjae-ssi.” The sentence was not spoken in Korean. So, the others in the room couldn’t understand what Tao had said.

“Nice to meet you too, Tao-ssi.” Youngjae talked with the same alien language as Tao, and the rest of the club could only stare at the duo in confusion, included Daehyun, whose face turned sour after watching how friendly those two boys interacted to each other. Tao became so unusually gracious to the new boy. In Daehyun’s eyes, Tao almost looked like he was flirting,  and he hated it so much, he didn’t know why, maybe because he simply didn’t like to see someone being too lovey-dovey in his own club.

“Guys, enough for the chit chat.” Daehyun cut the conversations like a boss. Well, he was the boss in this club anyway. “Now, I want you, Yoo Youngjae, to show off what you got to us.”

Daehyun noticed the surprise look upon Youngjae’s face after he heard the words.

“What?” Yougjae asked dumbfounded, not sure that he got the words right.

“You heard me. I want you to show off your skill to us. It’s a tradition to a new member. Now, let me choose your opponent…” Daehyun’s eyes traveled towards the other Martial Arts Club’s members. “Baekho, you go.”

Gasps fulfilled the room as the leader made a “wise” decision. Baekho was really good at martial arts. And when a new member came, Daehyun would choose a beginner to be the rival. So, it was so surprising that Daehyun chose the vice president for this new boy.

“Are you sure you want me to go?” Baekho asked, making sure that the president’s head was in the right condition.

“I’m 100% sure.” Daehyun replied calmly, although the others were currently giving him quizzical looks.

Baekho gave one last look to Daehyun before he shrugged. “Well, okay then. Come with me, Youngjae-ssi.”

Youngjae followed the vice president to the center of the room, while the other members moved aside to give them a big space.

“You will start on the count of three, got it?”

The boys nodded simultaneously at Daehyun’s question.

“Three… Two… One… Go!”

And the fight between Youngjae and Baekho started. Baekho, being an aggressive boy he was, made the first move by throwing a hit to Youngjae’s direction. However, the new boy managed to dodge away, making Baekho’s hand only hit the air. Baekho tried to punch the boy again. But, the result was always the same, only the air that he could hit. The spectators who saw the fight stared at Youngjae in awe by the smooth moves that he showed off to avoid Baekho’s nonstop attacks.

The spectators were even more surprised when Youngjae threw his fist at Baekho, and he scored. The hit landed straight on Baekho’s face, knocking him onto the carpeted floor. Youngjae used this chance to sit on Baekho’s body, to get more access to attack the boy. But, before he could throw another punch at the boy, Daehyun’s voice stopped him.

“Youngjae, Baekho, that’s it.”

Youngjae quickly got up, releasing Baekho’s body upon his. After Baekho got up as well, Youngjae bowed his head and muttered. “I’m Sorry, Baekho-ssi.”

Baekho smiled and patted Youngjae’s shoulder. “That’s okay, Youngjae-ssi. I like your fighting spirit. Keep it up.”

“Yoo Youngjae.” Youngjae span his head towards Daehyun again as his name was called. “I challenge you to a fight right now.”

Everybody stared at Daehyun wide-eyed. This was the first time Daehyun challenged someone, usually he was the one who got challenged. And in the end, those challengers would only get a disappointing result because Daehyun always won. But, could Daehyun win against a strong opponent like Youngjae?

“Hey, Daehyun.” Baekho showed an unamused expression at Daehyun’s remark. “He is a new kid, you don’t have to take it too serious.”

Daehyun stood up and walked to the center of the room. “I’m challenging him, end of conversation.”

Baekho knew when Daehyun was being this stubborn, no one could ever tear him down. “Well, good luck.”

And with that Baekho stepped aside, leaving the space only for Daehyun and Youngjae.

“Da… Daehyun.” Youngjae tried to catch Daehyun’s attention. It worked, Daehyun quickly moved his head towards him. “I believe I’m nowhere as good as you are. So, can we just stop here?”

Daehyun faked a bitter laugh hearing Youngjae’s words. “Wow, are you underestimating me?”

“No!” Youngjae squealed out quickly, he didn’t want Daehyun to misunderstand this. “I’m not underestimating you. It’s just… It’s just I don’t want to fight against you.”

“But, I want to fight against you, okay?” Daehyun kept persistent with his decision. “Just accept my challenge and show your best to me.”

“But-“

“No buts.” Daehyun interrupted everything that Youngjae was about to say. “Baekho, we are ready.”

Baekho nodded as he got Daehyun’s words. “On the count of three. Three… Two… One…. Go!”

As the fight started, Daehyun didn’t want to waste his time anymore. He threw nonstop attacks to Youngjae. Unfortunately, it seemed like Youngjae always found a slit to avoid them. There was a time when Daehyun almost made a score. Yeah, almost. Youngjae was fast enough to defend himself from the upcoming hit towards his face.

Youngjae was just being inactive, defending or avoiding Daehyun’s punch more and more, and it made Daehyun annoyed. “Hey, don’t just play safe, Youngjae. Show me the best of you.”

There was a hesitation upon Youngjae’s face, Daehyun noticed it, and he utilized this chance to pin Youngjae down, trapping him against the carpeted floor and his body. But, this position didn’t last long as Youngjae finally decided to showing off his power and reversed the situation. Daehyun was under him right now, making the crowd shouted in surprise.

Daehyun saw Youngjae was about to attack him straight on his face, and he was quickly trying to defend himself from the impending hit by crossing his arms against his face, closing his eyes tightly. But, after some seconds of waiting, the hit never come. Daehyun thought that maybe this was just a trick that Youngjae used to fool him. So, he kept motionless in that defending position. Nonetheless, he felt the weight upon his body had gone, indicating that Youngjae wasn’t on top of him anymore. Daehyun slowly opened his eyes and held down his arms. How surprised he was when Youngjae was already stood in front of him and bowing his head over and over again while mumbling. “I… I’m sorry. Daehyun. I’m so sorry.”

Daehyun stood up from the carpeted floor before he spoke. “Stop bowing your head like that and look up.”

When Youngjae did as what he was told to, Daehyun saw his eyes glistened, like he was about to cry. But, what was there to be cried about? He won in this challenge. The one who should cry right now was not him, Daehyun should. Daehyun was puzzled by Youngjae’s unexpected act. However, he decided to keep it cool.

“In a battle, there is always the one who will be the winner, and the other will be the loser. And I must admit, you did a great job. You won against me. But, one day I will beat you, Youngjae.”

~~~

The dream came back again to Daehyun in one random night, a night before he had to face the final tournament of Seoul Martial Arts Championship. But, this time, instead of seeing those two teenagers, like when the last time he came into this unknown world, he saw two men in front of him. One of them, a blonde-haired man, was sitting on the ground, his face displayed nothing but upset. Despite of the manly face and muscular body he had, the man looked so vulnerable. While the other, a brunette-haired one, kneeled in front of him, cupping his face into his palms.

“Come. You know more than any great deeds are done by men who took and never regretted.” The brunette started to speak. “You are Alexander. Pity and grief will only destroy you.”

The realization came into Daehyun’s mind as he heard those words. So, the men who were in front of him right now still Alexander and Hephaestion. But, these were the older versions of them.

“Have I become so arrogant that I am blind?”

There was no answer from Hephaestion after Alexander shot him this question. Just letting the silence fulfilled the room.

“Have I?” Alexander asked again, wanting to get a response from the other man.

Hephaestion took a deep breath before giving his reply to the blonde. “Sometimes, to expect the best of everyone is… arrogance.”

As Hephaestion finished his remark, everything around Daehyun became a mist, before it turned to black.

~~~

“Are you ready, my hero?” Himchan nudged Daehyun’s ribs with his elbow.

“Bring it on.” Daehyun simply said, his challenging smirk came back upon his face.

Seoul Martial Arts Championship was the most prestigious martial arts competition in Korea. Moreover, not only Korean people who participated in this competition, many foreigners from all over the world took a part in it. However, only people who was already 16 years old or more who could join in it. So, this was the first time Daehyun could feel the joy of being a participant in this big championship. And this year was his time to shine, Daehyun promised to himself. By winning this championship, he would get a spot to be on top of the martial arts world, to be known by many more people.

“Oh, don’t be over-confident, Daehyun.”

Daehyun shot a horrific glare at the source of the voice, dejected by the words that came out from the other’s lips.

“Are you still underestimating me, Youngjae?”

Youngjae shook his head while giving a correction. “No. I never underestimate you, Daehyun. You are a really great player. But, it’s better to keep it humble.”

“He is right.” Yongguk jumped into the duo’s conversations. “Don’t be so sure about everything. We never know what God had planned to us.”

“My future is in my hands. God can’t take a part in it.” Daehyun’s stubborn mode returned. “Now, shoo. I need to stretch up.”

Youngjae, Yongguk, and Himchan (Jongup and Junhong couldn’t come, they had a dance practice to do for the upcoming dance competition) gave one last look to Daehyun before they finally stepped away from the backstage to the bleachers, leaving him alone in the room.

~~~

The unexpected thing came, Daehyun lost. The spectators were so surprised at this. Most of them rooted for Daehyun, believing that he would be the winner of this year’s tournament. Daehyun had showed his brilliant moves to the crowd before, making them supporting him to the core. Nevertheless, Daehyun’s opponent, a young man named Im Hyunsik, was not as good as Daehyun in his previous battles. So, no wonder the people never have a thought that Hyunsik would win against Daehyun. Well, at first Daehyun led the battle, giving the other some troubles to defend himself from the attacks. But, there was one time when Daehyun being careless, and Hyunsik was smart enough to make a revenge, and this ushering him to the victory.

“Oh, God, how can this happen?” Himchan voiced out his thoughts loudly, more to himself.

“Well, like I said before, we never know what God had planned to us.”

Himchan moved his gaze to his boyfriend. “I knew that. But, this lost would really make him so upset. He really wanted to be the winner in this competition, it was his dream.”

“We can’t do anything, Himchan.” Yongguk ruffled his lover’s hair tenderly and continued. “All we can do right now is cheering him up. Let’s go to the backstage.”

When Yongguk and Himchan were about to make their way to the backstage, Youngjae shouted. “Wait.”

The couple froze on their spot and titled their heads towards Youngjae simultaneously, obvious confusion splayed upon their faces.

“Daehyun doesn’t like being with many people when he is angry, does he?”

The pair nodded their heads in unison at Youngjae’s question.

“It’s better if I’m the only one to go, since I’m a martial arts player too.”

Yongguk and Himchan looked at each other, as if they were doing a silent discussion with their eyes, before Yongguk tore his gaze back to Youngjae.

“Okay, you go. We will wait you here.”

~~~

How surprised Youngjae was when he arrived at the backstage. Daehyun was currently punching the wall repeatedly, making red liquid streamed on all over his hands.

Youngjae quickly approached Daehyun and trying to hold his hands, blocking the contact of the other’s skin to the wall.

“, Daehyun, stop it.”

Daehyun struggled to release himself from Youngjae’s grip, their powers were in the same level. But, in the end, Daehyun succeeded. He pushed Youngjae away hardly afterwards, making the boy fell on the floor.

“Go away, Youngjae. I don’t need you here.”

Daehyun was about to continue abusing the wall with his hands. However, before it could happen, Youngjae was fast enough to get up and holding Daehyun’s hands again.

“Daehyun, I said stop. It was no use to torturing yourself like this. You are Jung Daehyun. Pity and grief will only destroy you.”

They stayed motionless for a moment, with Daehyun staring at the ground intensely, like an interesting movie was played on it, while Youngjae’s vision was fixed on the boy in front of him, scanning the other’s feature that was wrapped by evident disappointment.

“Have I become so arrogant that I am blind?” Daehyun shot a question to Youngjae, breaking the tense silence between them.

Daehyun wanted Youngjae to give a respond to him. But, apparently, he got none. So, he asked again. “Have I?”

Youngjae exhaled deeply, preparing the best answer for the other’s question, before he said it out loud. “Sometimes, to expect the best of everyone is… arrogance.”

~~~

Daehyun travelled to his weird dream for the third time after one month of his previous one. Curiosity occupied his mind when he paid attention to the surrounding. He was in a big field with a lot of people around him. He took some more time to observe it before he made a hypothesis that he was in a party, a really big one.

“On this glorious occasion, I toast this great army that has given so much.” A man shouted loudly to the others, making those heads turned towards him, Alexander. “And in honor of them, those of you who set out with us seven long years ago, I pronounce all your debts paid forthwith from the royal treasury.”

Receiving the good news, the crowd immediately cheered out, satisfied was clearly heard in their voices.

The blonde man continued his speech afterwards. “And in honor of my bride, my beautiful bride, we recognized the many women who’ve shared the long road with us, and grant them dowries befitting a proper marriage.”

Daehyun finally got it, this was Alexander’s wedding. But, before he could even find the bride, everything around him turned fuzzy, realizing that the dream was about to over. Weirdly, this time, instead of seeing blackness, a new surrounding approached him. He was no longer in a big field, he was in a room now, with some people in it, much lesser than before. But, Daehyun could recognize no one here. All he was familiar with was Alexander who sat on a luxurious chair with Hephaestion who stood by his side. Believe it or not, Daehyun could notice sadness upon Hephaestion’s face.

“Your father must be turning in his grave.” One of the old men in the room started to speak. “After all this time, a hill chief’s daughter? Do you call this tribal wedding legitimate?”

Alexander shrugged his shoulders and answered calmly. “You forget, Parmenion. My father took a barbarian as his queen.”

The old man, Parmenion, Daehyun assumed it, spoke again. “Yes, and few would call it a profoundly happy marriage.”

The rest of the room, excluded Hephaestion, laughed at Parmenion’s remark, to which Alexander responded it by shrugging his shoulders again.

“But, what’s the point, Alexander?” This time a young man asked the question. And as much as Daehyun wanted to know the answer, he must hold down that urge because the dream was playing a trick to him again, his surrounding became a vague illustration, before his eyes could only catch the blackness.

~~~

Daehyun sighed deeply as he noticed a girl was making her way to his position where he was currently enjoying his meal with his friends.

“Here she is.” Daehyun mumbled quietly, more to himself. But, the others caught it. They immediately turned their heads to the direction where Daehyun was looking at.

“Oh, man. Why is she so stubborn?” Jongup whispered with a disgust face.

“Her stubbornness is in the same level as Daehyun-hyung’s.” Junhong said between his giggle, making Daehyun shot him a furious glare, while the others were laughing at the youngest’s words.

“Daehyun-oppa.” The said girl, Im Jinah, called Daehyun in her annoying flirty voice once she reached his table. “Oppa, I got something for you.”

Jinah gave a little pink box to Daehyun which he refused, giving a smile to the girl to showing off his politeness. “You don’t have to give me anything again, Jinah-ssi. You already gave me too many things.”

“But, oppa.” The girl whined loudly, making the rest of the group rolled their eyes in annoyance. “I bought this just for you.”

“Jinah-ssi, I-“

“Oppa.” Jinah whined again, cutting Daehyun’s words. “You have to accept it.”

Daehyun stared at the box for a brief seconds before giving up with Jinah’s persistency. If Jinah were a boy, maybe he still wouldn’t give up. But, she was a girl, a boy should succumb with a girl, right?

“Fine.”

The boys stared at Jinah in horror as she responded to Daehyun’s acceptance by squealing shrilly. “Yay! Daehyun-oppa, you are the best.”

She quickly shoved the box onto Daehyun’s hands before returning to her seat with a giddy expression.

“My God.” Yongguk shook his head in disbelief. “I have never seen an annoying girl more than her in this world.”

“All girls are annoying actually.” Jongup said while taking a bite of his curry. “And I prefer boys for that reason. Moreover, boys are cute, like the one in front of me right now.”

The others pulled a long face, while Junhong choked on his orange juice after hearing his boyfriend’s cheesy words, and Daehyun who was beside him had to pat his back.

“This is the result of hanging out too much with Himchan.” Youngjae, who stayed quiet before, finally showing off his voice.

“Well, at least I’m useful for teaching you those cheesy words. Oh, by the way…” Himchan pointed to the pink box that was currently lying in front of Daehyun. “Let’s open it. I’m so curious about the content.”

Daehyun took the box and opened the lit. The content was revealed, a perfume, and Daehyun thought it was far from cheap, judging from the bottle.

Himchan gasped in surprise as he saw the perfume. “Holy .”

“What?” Daehyun asked dumbfounded, furrowing his eyebrow in the process.

“Gosh, Acqua Di Gio, I saw this perfume three days ago at the mall. It is the latest product of Giorgio Armani.”

“So?” Daehyun didn’t get what Himchan said. Who was Giorgio Armani anyway?

“For your information, this is a limited edition perfume. And you want to know the price? 180.000 won!”

“What?” The boys shouted simultaneously, looking at Himchan wide-eyed, not sure if their ears playing a trick on them or not.

“If you don’t believe me, you can check it at the mall by yourself.” Himchan reassured the others, making them stared at the perfume in awe.

“That Jinah girl surely really wants you, Daehyun.”

“No...” Junhong protested at Yongguk’s remark. “It is not a secret anymore that Jinah is a rich girl, right? I think 180.000 won is nothing for her.”

“A rich girl or not this is too much for me.” Daehyun paused for several seconds, thinking. “Maybe I really should accept her to be my girlfriend.”

Everyone was taken aback at Daehyun’s unexpected words, eyes popping out like balls, mouths gaped slightly, giving Daehyun bemused looks.

“What did you say?” Yongguk was the first one who came back to the reality.

“Maybe I should accept her to be my girlfriend.” Daehyun replayed his sentence and added. “Something’s wrong?”

“Something’s wrong?” Himchan faked a humorless laugh. “You asked us something’s wrong? Wow, Daehyun, you are amazing.”

“Daehyun.” This time Jongup spoke, trying to be calm as best as he could. “You can’t date that girl.”

“Guys.” Daehyun breathed, deep, and continued. “I know that she is so annoying. But, this, I mean, she sacrificed many things to me, her time, her money, and it would be so rude if I kept giving her a cold shoulder.”

“But, you don’t love her, hyung.” The youngest decided to in, hoping that his words would make an impact to the other.

However, it seemed like Junhong failed to do his mission, as Daehyun kept persistent with his choice. “The love will grow later, even if it needs a really long time.”

Himchan did the bitter laugh again. “Yes, and few would call it a profoundly happy date.”

“But, what’s the point, Daehyun?”

Daehyun’s mind drifted for some moments, trying to find the best answer for Yongguk’s question. Nevertheless, he found none. So, to avoid answering the question, he stood up from his seat, and stepped away from the group.

And Daehyun didn’t miss the tinge of sadness upon Youngjae’s face.

~~~

The dream decided to approach Daehyun again in some weeks later. But, this time he was not surprised anymore. Not like the previous times when this bizarre dream tried to traverse his mind in his deep slumber. In fact, he was enjoying it, he was longing to know what would happen next to Alexander and Hephaestion, although Daehyun still had no idea who the hell they were. Daehyun didn’t even bother himself to have a little research about them. It was better to leave it in this way, leaving their identities being a mystery. To Daehyun, it was more exciting to see someone’s life that he completely didn’t know, it was more adventurous, and Daehyun always liked adventures.

Daehyun checked everything around him carefully. He could tell that he was in a bedroom right now, probably Alexander’s bedroom, because he could see a splendid king-sized bed at the corner of the room, not far from his and Alexander’s positions. Yes, the only person in the room, besides him, was Alexander, no trail of Hephaestion’s body could be found here.

But, not long after, he heard the door was knocked by someone, before the door was opened by the visitor himself, and the visitor was no other than Hephaestion. Alexander immediately approached the brunette-haired man.

“What is it, Hephaestion?”

Hephaestion said nothing. Instead, he showed off something that was wrapped by a piece of white fabric on his palm. Alexander responded at the other’s action by cocking his eyebrow, stared at the object curiously. However, the curiosity evaporated into the thin air when Hephaestion unwrapped the fabric, revealing the object that was previously hidden in it, a fabulous sapphire golden ring.

“I found it in Egypt.” Hephaestion began his explanation. “The man who sold it said it came from a time when men worshipped sun and stars.”

Hephaestion grabbed one of Alexander’s hand, putting the ring on the blonde’s ring finger afterwards. “I will always think of you as the sun, Alexander.”

Daehyun admitted that he liked to watch this sweet moment of Alexander and Hephaestion, the strong relationship that they had giving him tingles in the pit of his stomach. Nonetheless, although he really wanted to see it longer, the dream decided to end itself in the wrong time, making Daehyun’s eyes only saw the blurry surrounding, before everything fully disappeared into the darkness.

~~~

Daehyun was someone who didn’t like to be in the crowd, because being in a place with many people around him would give him a major headache. Hence, he rarely came into a party. When someone asked him to go to a party, he usually turned the invitation down. He himself never threw a party, even when it was his birthday. He would just treat his close friends some food at a restaurant, and sometimes bought a few bottles of soju for them too. For Daehyun, birthday was not that special anyway, it was just the increase of someone’s age, nothing to celebrate. When you won something big, or got a promotional, it was more worthy for a celebration.

However, Jinah, Daehyun’s girlfriend thought the contrary. She thought that every single happy moment in someone’s life must be celebrated with a big party. Daehyun didn’t understand why she thought like that. But, he assumed that was the way every single upper-class in this world thinking. Well, he himself didn’t come from a very wealthy family, he was just someone in the middle, and he would never fit in the glamorous life of the riches.

Hence, when Daehyun’s birthday was about to come in some weeks later, Jinah already had a plan to make a party for him. Of course, Daehyun refused the plan immediately, saying that there was no need for that, he wanted to celebrate his birthday in a simple way, just like usual. But, Jinah was a stubborn girl, she kept persuading Daehyun to follow her plan, whining loudly with her annoying voice. Daehyun, who could never stand with it too long, finally surrendered, let Jinah did whatever she wanted for his birthday party.

That was how Daehyun stuck in this party now, a huge party, and he never thought that it would be like this. He already said to Jinah before to not make the party so big, just a small party would be better. But, it seemed like Jinah didn’t listen to him.

The party was fulfilled with many people, Daehyun didn’t even recognize more than half of the people here, maybe all of them were Jinah’s friends, since she was a famous socialite. The one who spread the invitations was Jinah herself anyway. But, Daehyun did inviting some people too. Well, five people to be exact. He really hoped that all of those people would come to this party. Nonetheless, he was really upset when there were just four people that could be seen. One of them was missing.

“Hey, birthday boy.” Himchan greeted cheerily, hitting Daehyun’s shoulder lightly in the process.

“This party is really amazing, Daehyun-hyung.” Junhong said while bouncing up and down like a ball excitedly.

Daehyun shrugged, not really agreeing with Junhong’s opinion.

Jongup scanned his surrounding in a split seconds before speaking. “You never threw a party before. This party must be your girlfriend’s idea, right?”

“Yeah.” Daehyun simply answered before he added. “Where is Youngjae?”

“He said he would come here a little bit late, he needs to do something first.”

Daehyun’s disappointment vanished right away after hearing Yongguk’s reply. That boy would come. It was okay even if he came late, as long as he would be here.

Don’t ask Daehyun why he was feeling like this, because he didn’t even know the answer for that question. All he knew was he really wanted to see Youngjae now. But, Daehyun had a speculation that it was because he seldom hung out with his close friends lately. Ever since he started to date with Jinah, the time that he spent with his close friends became lessen and lessen, maybe that was why he started to miss them, included Youngjae.

However, Yongguk’s words never came true. When his watch had showed 11.28 pm, Youngjae still didn’t come. He didn’t lose hope though, he still waited for the arrival of the other. Until the party was over, 1.30 am, his hope finally gone with the night air.

~~~

Daehyun noticed hesitation in every step that Youngjae took when he walked to his seat, eyes never leaving the ground. But, before he reached the chair, he gathered his courage to look up, and that was when his eyes met Daehyun’s, who was practically burning a hole at him since he arrived at the classroom. The contact didn’t last long, Youngjae quickly turned his gaze away from Daehyun, sitting himself on his chair afterwards.

“Why you didn’t come to the party?”

Youngjae bit his lower lip, wavering at Daehyun’s question. “I’m sorry.”

Daehyun rolled his eyes, unamused by the other’s response. “I don’t need your apology, just tell me the reason.”

I have enough to see you… with her. That was his reason. However, instead of telling the truth, he just came out with another apology. “I’m sorry.”

There was no other word they exchanged after that, both of them were too busy surfing in their own heart feelings, one was feeling greatly disappointed, and the other was feeling extremely guilty.

~~~

Daehyun was about to step away from the classroom. But, he froze on his track once he felt someone tugged his wrist. He looked over his shoulder to see who the culprit was. It was no other than Youngjae.

“What do you want?” Daehyun asked in a cold tone, without turning his gaze to the other.

Youngjae released his grip from Daehyun’s wrist and walked a few steps. He was in front of Daehyun now.

“I want to give you something.” Youngjae took a little black box from his pocket before held it to Daehyun. “Your birthday present.”

But, Daehyun didn’t take the box, just staring at it blankly. Hence, Youngjae grabbed one of Daehyun’s hands and placed the box on his palm. Then, Youngjae opened the lit of the box, revealing the object in it.

“I found it at an antique store. I knew you always have a liking towards antique things.” Youngjae started to explain about the thing to Daehyun. “The man who sold it said it came from a time when men worshipped sun and stars.”

Daehyun examined the present that Youngjae gave him, a beautiful sapphire golden ring. Weirdly, he felt that he had ever seen this ring before. But, where? And when?

“I will always think of you as the sun, Daehyun.”

The words that came from Youngjae’s lips were unexpected, making Daehyun unable to give a response to the other, speechless. Youngjae didn’t say anything too, let the silence took control of them.

Yet, the silence was broken when Daehyun’s phone started to ring. Daehyun took it from his pocket instantly, looking at the screen to see the caller’s id, before he picked it up.

“Hi, babe. Yeah, I know. I’ll be there soon. Okay, bye.”

“Your girlfriend?” Youngjae asked as Daehyun finished his phone call.

Daehyun nodded slightly while throwing his phone back to his pocket, putting the box that Youngjae gave him earlier to the other pocket.

“I need to go now. Jinah is waiting for me. Anyway, thanks for the present.”

And with that Daehyun left, without waiting for Youngjae to say something more. But, his eyes still caught the prior sadness upon Youngjae’s face, just like what he saw when he made the decision to date Jinah.

~~~

Daehyun was happy when the dream interrupted his sleep again. He was excited to see the next development of Alexander and Hephaestion, it was like watching a drama, he couldn’t stop to know more about the story. Nevertheless, what Daehyun saw right now was something that he never expected before. Hephaestion lying helplessly on the bed, with Alexander kneeling on the floor beside him, crying.

“Please don’t leave me, Hephaestion.”

Hephaestion shakily reached for the other’s hand, connecting his and Alexander’s.

“I worry for you without me.” Hephaestion tried to say with his last breathes.

“I’m nothing without you. Come, fight, Hephaestion.”

But, Hephaestion couldn’t fight anymore. God had decided to take his soul away. And Alexander cried even more as his soulmate left him alone in this cruel world. Alexander was nothing, he was weak, and he couldn’t live without Hephaestion by his side.

Before he even realized it, Daehyun felt water started to stream from his eyes onto his cheeks. He could feel the pain that Alexander felt, like he was the one who experienced it himself, he didn’t even know why though. And Daehyun thanked the God a lot when his vision became fuzzy not long after, giving him a sign that the dream was about to over, because he couldn’t stand to see this heartbreaking moment anymore.

~~~

Jinah was absent right now, she was in a trip to Los Angeles with her family, and Daehyun used this chance to gather up with his close friends again. Truth to be told, he really missed this moment, when they were just chatting, sharing lame jokes, and even having discussions about the homework while enjoying their lunch at the canteen. In these months, Jinah had always dragged him with her wherever and whenever, giving no private time for himself.

“So, where is the princess?” Himchan said while roaming his eyes around the canteen. “It’s rare to see you without her.”

Daehyun took a sip of his coke before answering. “She is off to Los Angeles for two weeks.”

“Oh.” Was the only response that Himchan gave.

The silence came between them afterwards, and it was an awkward one. Daehyun was not sure why though. As Daehyun could remember, they were never awkward when they were together before, they would always have a topic to talk about. But, why did this awkward atmosphere surround them? Was it because his friends not used to be with him anymore?

The silence was interrupted as Youngjae cleared his throat before he started to speak. “I need to tell you something.”

All heads were directed to Youngjae right away, anticipating Youngjae’s next words.

“I’m sorry I haven’t told you about this before.”

“Just spill the bean, Youngjae.” Yongguk said in impatience.

“I’ll be back to China tonight.”

Youngjae’s words came like a lightning, almost giving the others a heart attack.

“What?” Himchan shrieked loudly, disbelieved at Youngjae’s remark. “Tell me that you are kidding.”

“I wish I could.” Youngjae mumbled it quietly.

“Why you didn’t tell us about this before, Youngjae-hyung?” Junhong questioned Youngjae while making an effort to hold his tears from falling.

“I’m sorry.” Youngjae could only make an apology for his mistake.

Daehyun stood up suddenly from his seat, without saying anything, just leaving his friends quietly like a ghost. The others didn’t even realize his departure though, they were too sorrowful to even notice their surroundings. Well, except for one person.

~~~

Daehyun was lying idly on his bed, eyes stared blankly at the ceiling, contrary with his mind that was full of thoughts, just about one person, Yoo Youngjae.

Daehyun remembered when the first time he met with the boy, he hated him to the core for stealing his spotlight. But, as the time goes by, he started to enjoy this competition, it was making him have more motivation to be better, and he really thanked Youngjae for that.

Then, there was a time when Daehyun felt like he was a failure, his plan didn’t work as successful as he had planned. However, Youngjae was there to support him, and to make him realized that he couldn’t be arrogant anymore. Yes, Youngjae had saved him from himself, and he wouldn’t forget about that.

Daehyun also remembered that sadness upon Youngjae’s face when he made a big decision for himself, dating Jinah, a decision that he obviously regretted now. Of course his other friends were upset about that decision too. Nonetheless, Daehyun could see something different in Youngjae’s eyes at that moment, something that he couldn’t see in the other’s eyes, hurt.

And the memory of his birthday party was still imprinted in his mind. He could never forget how disappointed he was when Youngjae didn’t come, he felt like something was missing there. Yet, even he was disappointed at the other, he still couldn’t help but forgiving him in the end. Moreover, Youngjae had given him a beautiful present, the…

“Wait!”

Daehyun jumped from the bed and quickly approached his cupboard, taking the little black box afterwards. He opened the lit immediately. The sapphire golden ring was still there, stored safely.

Daehyun took a long look at the object on his palm, examining it carefully, before the realization finally hit him. That dream was about him and Youngjae, or maybe it was them in the past life.

Daehyun rushed himself to reach his phone on the nightstand, calling Youngjae right away, while hoping that he would still be in Seoul.

“Hel-“

Before the person on the other line could finish his words, Daehyun interrupted him. “Where are you?”

“I… I’m at the airport.”

“Stay there, okay? Wait for me.”

Daehyun ended the call without waiting for another words from the other, taking his motorcycle, and started to spur it as fast as possible, he needed to be at the airport soon.

~~~

Although Daehyun’s house was a little bit too far from the airport, he could arrive only in 15 minutes. He almost crashed a person on the way. Fortunately, the luck was still on his side.

Daehyun observed his surrounding in a brief seconds, and he didn’t need much work to find the one he had been looking for, Daehyun ran to him immediately.

“Hey.”

The boy titled his head to the side, meeting eyes with Daehyun. “What is it, Daehyun?”

Daehyun threw his arms over Youngjae, pulling him into a tight embrace.

“Please don’t leave me, Youngjae.”

Youngjae was startled at the sudden act of Daehyun, making him lost for words.

“I’m nothing without you. Stay here, Youngjae.”

“I… I can’t, Daehyun.”

“If you can’t be here anymore, just take me with you. It’s okay for me as long as I can be with you.”

“Well, we don’t mind if you stay here, Youngjae.”

Daehyun immediately released his arms from Youngjae’s body as he heard an unfamiliar woman’s voice. Daehyun looked up to find a middle-aged man and woman already stood beside Youngjae since God-knows-when. And they must be heard the conversations between him and Youngjae earlier.

“Yeah, we don’t mind at all.” The man spoke this time. “As long as this young man will promise me to take care of my son carefully.”

The corners of Daehyun’s lips tugged up into a wide smile before saying reassuringly. “I promise.”

~~~

“Hey, Daehyun.”

“Hmm?” Daehyun hummed in response while kept brushing the hair of the boy that sat beside him tenderly.

“Did you ever have a dream about you in your past life?”

Daehyun’s hand stopped on his spot as he heard his lover’s question. “What do you mean?”

“I know that this thing sounds crazy. But, I actually had that experience.” Youngjae turned his head to face Daehyun. “I dreamt about you and me in the past life.”

Daehyun’s eyebrow rose in curiosity, wondering if Youngjae had the same dream like him. “Did you dream about me being someone named Alexander while you were Hephaestion?”

Although Youngjae didn’t give him a response, Daehyun could tell that he was right, judging by the obvious shock upon his face right now. “Well, I guess you did.”

“How did you know about that? Why don’t you tell me that you have an ability to read minds?”

Daehyun laughed loudly at his boyfriend’s antique, very amused. Yeah, although sometimes he was overly weird, he was still extremely cute though, and that was why Daehyun loved him so much.

“What’s so funny?” Youngjae asked dumbfounded, didn’t get the reason behind his lover’s laugh.

“You are wrong, babe. I can’t read people’s minds.” Daehyun said once he finished laughing. “It’s just I had the same dream like you too.”

“Wow, that’s amazing.” Youngjae said in excitement, eyes sparkled, like a kid who had just found some candies. “How come we can share the same dream?”

Daehyun shrugged and shook his head slightly. “I have no idea.”

They sat there in silence, a comfortable one, for several minutes, before Youngjae decided to break it with a question. “What if we had an angst ending like in our past life?”

“Then, I promise to you that I will fight as best as I could to change the history in our next life.”

~~~

A/N:

Is this oneshot a little bit too long? It’s more than 9000 words and I’m so lazy to split it though. -_-

Anyway, comments are much loved. <3

And thanks for reading. ^^