Message. Call.

Met by Text

-Narrator’s POV-

“Y-Yah!” You shouted as you tried to reach for your phone.

“Give that back!” you added.

“Just wait, Sunhee-ha!” your friend shouted at you. You finally stopped and puffed your cheeks. “What are you even doing with my phone anyways?” you asked, irritated.

“Looking for guys. You need a boyfriend, missy.” She scolded. “Mwo?! Me? a boyfriend?! Why?!” I yelled as I struggled again to retrieve my phone. “Because.” She said thinking of an answer.

Yeah.. I thought so. You thought.

 “How can I even have a boyfriend through that?! No one can fall for someone in a text! Don’t tell me that there’ll be a day wherein he gets to meet me! Oh no! He’ll see my ugly face, he’ll hear my irritating voice and all the negative words that you know. He would probably just leave me alone.” You said as you slumped back.

“Done!” she screeched. “Yah! Were you even listening to me?” you asked furious. “Of course! Why won’t I? And don’t say that you’re ugly! You’re freaking gorgeous! Just remove those fake spectacles of yours and try a different hairstyle then boom! You’ll be the next queenka!” she said, patting your head, standing up and getting ready. “I’ll take my leave—oh and enjoy your new friend. And don’t worry! I faked your name there to ‘Minah’ and ehehe I think he did so too. So… bye!” she said taking off.

Your phone then vibrated.

Fine... Let’s give it a try then. You thought.

*Message from L

You looked closely at the screen. L? That’s his name?? Hmm.. interesting. Keke.

You found yourself smiling at the name—well maybe smirking a bit by its weirdness.. and hey—who would name himself with a letter? I (you) repeat. A LETTER.

You finally opened the message.

Ne. Annyeonghaseyo, Minah-sshi! Mannasseo bangapseumnida! Let’s exchange infos if you want to.^^

You chuckled, replying to him.

Ne. Sure, L-sshi! Formal introduction I suppose? Something like that?

“Send!” you said, lightly tapping the screen of your phone. You lied down on your bed, rotating your phone, actually waiting for a reply.

You then felt your phone vibrate again. You read it immediately.

Annyeonghaseyo! Nae ireumeun L imnida  I’m 18, goes to Woollim University, and I have a mysterious personality… can’t explain further. Mian. 

The message read.

Hmm… mysterious ey? Is a nerdy girl like me, your type? Keke.Uhh.. impossible. You thought.

You then replied.

Mysterious ey? Well anyway.. Annyeonghaseyo! Nae ireumeun Minah imnida! I’m 18 too, and I also go to Woollim University. What a coincidence huh? So obviously; L is your screen name. Moving on… I am nerdy as a lot of people say, but based on my parents and my friends, I am something more than just a nerd in school. Btw, I know that I ‘talk’ much here… so… mian 

You replied, not caring on how long you typed in and tucked yourself under the covers, closing the lamp next to you. You waited for a while but then you got sleepy. The excitement within you a while ago, passed and you just felt your eyes feeling heavy as you placed your phone on the bedside table and did not anticipate for a reply. After a good 10 seconds you were off to dreamland.

The following day…

You woke up by the sound of your alarm. You lifted your heavy arm and punched on the button to snooze it.

“Ugggh..”

 You groggily stood up and heard the table beside you vibrate. “Oh?” you said turning your head with your eyes half open. Scratching your head, you lazily picked up your phone and looked at it, taking in what is written.

*4 New messages

You opened your inbox and saw the list of the new messages that you received. And they were all from L.

You opened the first message.

Jeongmalyo? Wow! That’s really coincidental! And yes; L’s my screen name. You’re a nerd with higher standards huh?... interesting. Don’t worry feel free to talk I’m not so much of a talker myself. Just keep the conversation running. 

Then the second one.

Hmm... out of topics already?

Then the third one.

 I suppose you’re asleep. Sorry for being boring jeongmalyo. I’ll try to keep up next time and uhmm.. Good Night^^

Lastly, you opened the fourth one.

The fresh and recently sent one.

Good Morning, Minah-sshi!  Are you off to school today? Hope I can recognize you… but I guess Minah’s your screen name too. Well uhmm.. yeah ~Josimhaeyo :)

You found yourself smiling on his message. You got a little over-whelmed by his action so you replied immediately.

Good Morning to you too, L-sshi! Ne! I’ll just get ready then I’m off! Well I really hope I can see you but… not for now huh? Keke :) good luck on your day today! Neodo josimhae! 

You sent it and got ready for school.

You entered the gates and pushed your glasses up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day finally ended.

You immediately went home and proceeded to your room. Slumping down your bag on the floor, you dived to your bed, forgetting about your ‘friend’.

-L’s POV-

Upon reaching my house, I fished for my phone in my pocket. I immediately messaged Minah.

I don’t know why but I think that it’ll be nice to vent out my feelings on her. She gives me this comfortable feeling even though we’re just texting each other.

Annyeong Minah-sshi! Can I share my day with you..?

“And... Send!” I said, sticking my tongue out.

I may be mysterious but I have feelings too and it’s quite hard for me to tell it to anyone. But then again… she just makes me feel so warm and… oh- I don’t know.

Because of that thought, I suddenly felt an urge to see her.

Niga isseoyeoman yeogiga paradise

My phone rang, signaling a message.

Annyeong! Drop the formalities. Just call me Minah J and yes, you can share your day with me~ Feel free to. :)

I smiled at the reply.

Well you see… My best friend and I had a fight for some reason… I don’t know. It just came out of nowhere. He just got mad at me and then click! We just fought for no damn reason. You know what I’m saying? He has been always like that so it’s kinda irritating me.

 After a few minutes she then replied.

What?! No reason at all? How can that possibly be?! You call that a best friend?

I read out loud. I chuckled at her reply.

Can I call you?

 I asked through message. I pressed on send with a shaky thumb, somehow nervous.

I waited for her reply but there was none.

Maybe she doesn’t want to.

After a good 25-minutes, she finally replied.

Oh! Sorry I was eating anyway… Sure! But wouldn’t it be awkward?

I smiled again.

I don’t even know why I’m smiling like this. I only met her like—yesterday.

Without replying, I called her immediately.

“Yoboseyo?” said on the other line.

“Ne. Minah? Annyeong!” I said quite nervous.

“Ah-Y-Yeah! So what do you want to talk about?” she asked.

She’s nervous too. Cute.

“Ah… Yes. Uhmm about my- air-quotes: Friend” I said lightly.

She then went out of her shell. “Ah yes! Neoui chingu (your friend)! Seriously, L, you consider him your friend?” she exclaimed on the other line making me laugh a bit.

She actually cares.

She stopped and asked me: “Uhmm.. What’s funny?”

“You…” I said.

“Me?... what?”

 “You’re cute.” I blurted.

Woah. Did I just say that?

“E-eh?” she stammered. I felt my cheeks burning.

When did I start to be like this?

“A-amugeotdo. Ehe. Well uhmm.. moving on.. I don’t want to talk about my friend anymore… let’s talk about your day. How was it?” I said, finally coming up with a question.

 “Oh.. uhm.. my day went by like the usual. Few insults here, commenting there. Nothing new, I guess.” She said.

“You know.. I really want to see you. Can we meet?” I asked, without hesitation.

This isn’t me.

“M-me? Oh.. Uhm.. no you can’t. You’ll just get upset and.. you know?” she squeaked on the other line, making excuses for me not to see her.

I felt disappointed. “Oh-oh it’s okay! Don’t worry I won’t persuade you if you don’t want to.” I said, slumping my shoulders.

“Sooo…”

We talked on all night. My disappointment on her not wanting me to see her eventually got away throughout the conversation. Surprisingly, we didn’t run out of topics.

By the midst of our phone call, we got more comfortable with each other and I liked it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-L's POV-

Days passed and I still haven’t seen her face. But then again, I always message her and even call her once in a while.

To be honest, whenever something happened at school or wherever… I always see her name in my head; as if it’s reminding me to message her or call her at the end of the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday-

-L's POV-

“Last 5 minutes!” I whispered, looking at my watch.

Finally! Weekend’s coming again!

Then the sound that I’ve been waiting finally filled in my ears.

“Yes!” I screeched, pumping my fist.

I ran my way to the door, but then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Where do you think you’re going?” a classmate of mine said, folding his arms. “Uhh—home?” I answered nonchalantly. “No you’re not. We’re going to finish our project; remember?” I knitted my eyebrows as I reminisced on the day when I promised to stay at school on a Friday to help finish our project. “Fine.” I bluntly said. I made my way to the group. Well actually we’re only three: Me, him, and uhmm—who’s that.. oh! Sunhee.

“So what now?” I asked, trying to sound as if I actually care for this. “Well… Sunhee and I made the project already so all we have to do is finish the paper works for this, compile them then pass.” Chanhee said, looking through books and papers. “So what do you want me to do?”

“Answer these.” He plainly said, handing me 3 sheets of paper, without breaking his eye contact with the books that he’s going through.

“Fine.”

I started answering the questions printed on the papers.

These are easier than I thought.

After quite some time I actually finished the papers that were given to me. I stood up and picked up my bag and hung it on my shoulder. “I’m going.” I said, placing the papers on his desk.

 “No you aren’t.” I heard Chanhee say, grabbing my bag. “What do you want?” I asked, irritated. “Wait for Sunhee and me to finish these then YOU compile and arrange it.” He said with a smirk, empahasizing on the word ‘you’.

“Fine.”

After 5-minutes I got bored so I just took my phone out and messaged Minah.

Annyeong, Minah-ah! You home? :)

I asked.

Maybe she’s still here and I can meet her.

I pressed send and looked at my two group mates, sticking their eyes on the books. I then saw Sunhee fish her phone from her pocket and looked at it.

Maybe she’s got a message.

She then started typing. After so, she placed her phone on her desk. That’s when I received a message from Minah.

I raised my eyebrow.

Annyeong,L-ah! Aniyo, I’m not at home yet. Stuck in a project. :( Waeyo?

I widened my eyes.

Can it be? Is Sunhee- Minah?

I shook my head.

I replied.

Ah…Nothing.. just wanna ask ^^  What project is that? I’m not yet home too.

Sunhee looked at her phone, without looking up to me.

She might not have noticed me texting.

Another project in Science. I’m getting tired but I got to earn some grades. Jeongmal? You’re not yet home? Then where are you?

I read her reply. I then stood up and went outside, making the ‘comfort room’ my excuse.

I called her.

“Yoboseyo?” she said.

“Annyeong, Minah-ah.” I said, looking through the window of the classroom that we’re staying in.

I hung up.

I then went back in to be greeted by Sunhee’s confused look. She then mumbled something then went back to what she was doing.

 I then received a message from Minah.

You called right? Wae you hung up? T_T Want to tell me something?  :)

I didn’t reply.

I then saw her looking at her phone, actually waiting for my reply.

She’s anticipating.

Just then, Chanhee excused himself to go outside. “I just need to fix this.”  He said, looking quite worried, while staring at his phone, as it rings.

Finally. I’m alone with her.

I then called Minah.

This will be fun.

She then picked it up and looked at me. Her eyes almost bulged out of its sockets when she saw me holding my phone to my ear.

She made sure.

“Y-Yoboseyo?” she stuttered.

I smiled at her.

“Neomu yeppuda.” I plainly said as I hung up.

She slowly placed her phone on her desk. “Y-You’re L?” she asked with much surprise.

I nodded, showing my dimples unintentionally. “And you’re Minah!  The one that claims herself to be a nerd and doesn’t want me to see her. Yeah—Why?” I asked.

“I don’t want people do get disappointed with my look. I’m pretty much an ugly nerd.” She said shyly.

Without knowing, my hand then landed on her cheek softly.

I grabbed the chance.

“Aniyo. Neon chuhan aniya.” I said, tucking her hair in her ear. She then turned pink.

I, too, felt my cheeks burning.

Where did Mr. Mysterious go?

I then leaned in to her and grabbed her glasses.

“Neon Neomu gwiyeowo—Neomu yeppun—Neomu areumdaun—Neomu joheun—and all the positive word that I know.” I said slowly taking her glasses off, seeing her actual beauty. I then set aside her glasses and gave a small peck on her cheek.

“Y-you’re quite creepy in person, L.” she said, breaking the moment.

I made a friendly smirk as I reached my hand out. “Annyeong, Sunhee! Nae ireumeun—wait my real name is Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo.” I said. “And I’m not creepy I uhmm.. just…”

I said not sure if I should say it or not.

She grabbed my hand and shook it, without making me finish. I then smirked.

As our hands were in contact, I pulled her in, making our faces near to each other’s. “I just like you.” I continued my statement as I smiled widely. She then blushed again. “Is that even possible? Liking someone just because of some messages and calls?” she then asked titling her head. Our faces still near to each other’s.

“Yes.”  I warmly said as I pulled her closer until I felt her lips onto mine.