Fed Up

Don't Touch My

 

We finally made our way to our dorm. Krystal was tugging on my arm and asking more erse questions the entire time. To fight the urge I kept getting to hit her, I put my headphones in and listened to some Fly to the Sky. I was just surprised she didn't notice.

Our room had pink and baby blue striped walls (if it weren’t for the bunk beds, I would’ve sworn I had walked into a hospital nursery), a kitchen and sitting room to the left, and a hallway with our room to the right. Krystal took me down the hallway and walked me to our room. On one half, everything was pink....and super-cute. The kinda cute that makes girls like me puke a little in their mouths. It was decked out with posters of topless Korean men and Justin Bieber, and a load of SHINee, Super Junior, and Hello Kitty memorabilia. The other half was bland...way much better.

"This is my side," Krystal gestured to the pink and slightly disturbing blob, “and that’s yours. Sorry that it’s pretty boring. It actually kinda looks like the painters didn’t even finish, but hey, at least you get to decorate it the way you like.”

“Ah, I’ll just leave it plain.” I threw my stuff onto the bed.

“Whatever floats your boat,” she said with a shrug.

She walked to her side and fluffed a pillow....wait a second. “Hey, when am I gonna get my uniform? I kinda need it to start school...”

Just as I plopped down next to my luggage on my bed, she replied “Oh, yeah. You’ll get it after the tour.” I sat up with a start.

“What?” I asked, annoyed .
“You need a tour of the school, silly.”

“Can’t it wait?” I just wanted to sit down and chill, get accustomed to my new surroundings, and to get  away from  her whenever my God gives me a chance. I think I already had my daily dose of this Krystal chick, even though it’s 8:30 in the morning.

“No, of course it can’t wait.” Krystal said. “C’mon, it’ll be fun!” She had suddenly tightly embraced my right arm and resting her giant head on my shoulder., as if I was her oppa. I tried shaking her off vigorously, but she didn’t budge; she just continued grinning with her eyes closed like an idiot.

“Krystal...” I warned. She gasped, quickly opening her eyes, and letting go of my arm. “You remembered my name!” She hopped in place and clapped with glee, like a little 5 year old.
Um, okay? Is that something you should be happy about?
“Yeah. I kinda met you a couple minutes ago,” I said, matter-of-factly.

“Well it’s lovely that you actually listen to me, unlike some people who think I talk too much, but, no, they haven’t HEARD non-stop chatter. There is this girl, Vicky, and she’s always talking, and it’s weird because she’s so shy. She’s the type of person that doesn’t talk, but when she does it’s NONSTOP. I mean, she’s so socially challenged because she--”

Staying here and listening to this chick? Soooo not worth it. “OK! let’s get started on this tour,” I interrupted, clasping my hands loudly together.





Ugh, we finally finished. This god-forsaken school is just too big and too pink. Everybody here looks just a little too happy, and not too mention the fact that I got stared at the entire time for being the only girl out of uniform (or I might’ve been the only “boy” they’ve seen since the 5th grade). The cafeteria isn’t even a cafeteria: it’s called the Dining Hall. It has long white tables and above the entrance hung the sign “No seconds”(what is this, Hogwarts?). There are separate lunch rooms with a teacher monitoring each one, and you get assigned to one of them. Apparently I have Room J...I met the teacher-- correction, she spoke to me and I stared at the mole above her lip.

After, we walked over to the gym. It was pretty regular, a huge room basketball hoops, slick, spit shined wooden flooring that makes that irritating squeaky noise when rubber is slid against it, a rope near the corner, and across the room were two figures; one in bright red, one in bright orange. They looked like popsicles from the distance.
“Who are they?” I asked pointing to the figures, after Krystal was finished with her lecture on the gym, which I didn’t pay a slice of attention whatsoever to. In fact, I think I almost cut her off if I would’ve asked a second quicker.

“Those are our gym teachers.” She signaled them to come over with a brisk wave of her hand.“Yoo-hooo!!!!”

As they walked, their features began to be more distinct. The two teachers seem to differentiate in the actual style of physical education, for one with wavy dirty blonde hair in the bright orange was skinny yet muscular, and if my vision wasn’t so sharp, I would’ve thought she was a man.  
On the other hand, the other teacher displayed a more feminine appeal, her hair was more in place than the blonde’s unkempt hair, the  tight white t-shirt she wore revealed a dab of cleavage and her hot pink  track pants that looked red from the distance were somewhat tighter than the other teacher’s. Her face was painted with bold make-up, and if I hadn’t looked closely, I would’ve thought she was the girlfriend of the man.

“Annyeong!” the teachers said in unison. We all executed respectful bows.
“Park sunsaeng-nim , Kim sunsaeng-nim,” Krystal began, “this is Liu Amber, our newest addition to SeungHyo Blossoming.”

The mannish teacher immediately extended her hand, but the feminine one looked me up and down first, with a look of disapproval in her eyes. I shook and bowed slightly and waited for the other gym teacher. “Um....is there a problem, ma’am?”

“What?” Her eyes snapped from the long gaze as she shook it off with an innocent chuckle. “Oh, I’m sorry!” After we shook hands, she continued. “It’s just that...you’re different.”

“Uh...thank....you?” I couldn’t define if that was an insult or a compliment, but I took it in nicely.
“Yeah, it just means I’ll need even more clay than regular to sculpt you into a beautiful butterfly.”
“Eh?” Beautiful butterfly? The hell was she talking about?
“You see,” Krystal said, “ Kim sunsaeng-nim is the etiquette teacher, and  Park sunsaeng-nim is the real gym teacher. In Ms. Kim’s session, you learn about health and manners, and in Ms. Park’s you learn how to be a fit and in-shape young lady. Most of the times the two classes are joined, and every week we do manner tests. It’s really fun, although some of them can be quite aggravating to unladylike gals like yourself...no offence.”
Yeah, yeah, I could care less.

“Well, we hope you like it here, Amber, and we hope you try your best. Together, we will achieve our goal.” Ok...what was that all about? Achieve our goal? She sounded like the leader of an occult.




Our next destination was the library. With bookcases over-shadowing me, clean white marbled floors with blue and pink crocheted rugs,--several to appear being created by current and previous  students--a visible white spiral staircase near the far end, blue and white swivel chairs among open study spaces, I felt like a long-lost princess walking into her mansion for the very first time. The breath-taking scenery of this library made my heart flutter. Although, I haven’t taken the time to sit down and read in an actual library in forever, I knew that this library was beyond normal--it wasn’t any regular high-school library, and I was blessed to be in it.

Golly, I may even take the time to actually pick up a book and separate it’s pages downright to the center for the very first time in years...and gently....throw it on top of my face as I lay down on the sofas and prop my feet up on the arm chair. HA! Me reading a book? For pleasure?! Funny.
Besides, who can read in a place like this? It’s far too comfy to read in.

“So this is the library. It’s super awesome, isn’t it? That staircase over there leads you to the computer room....”


A couple of students lined in with school bags towards the front desk. The books they were holding, along with the school bags and their navy blue skirts brought me to the attention of the uniform: I didn’t have one yet.

I glanced at my watch. Half past 8:00.

I figured, this would be a good time to ask about it, so I did, but Talking Tammy just wouldn’t stop chatting. It appeared I had cut her off right in the middle of her speech when I asked. “Amber! Rude! Don’t interrupt me!”

“But I need to get a...”

I trailed off, but that was because she had suddenly grasped my bare arm saying, “Oh, Amber, I just thought of someone you should meet, C’mon.” I reluctantly followed, launching fiery darts from my eyes straight to the back of her head. If only they were real.

We traveled up the white staircase into the computer room, which was aligned with computer work stations (some vacant, some ocupied) along the walls with a couple black marble tables in the middle on top of a more serious yet interesting looking rug. In fact, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it. Something about it....the splash of satin red filled the rug, and stars floating near the corners, some with faces some without, but what truly caught my attention was the kanji in black bordering the edges of the rug. It repeated: China loves Korea, China Loves Korea.” This was a sophisticated rug, but I could tell a student made this...and that meant, I wasn’t the only Chinese here. Cool. Nice to know I have someone to talk with, although I hope she’s not as annoying as this booty grabber that keeps droning on and on giving me lectures of every forsaken place we visit. Geez, I asked for a tour, not a talk. And besides, didn’t she said she wanted me to meet someone?

“Yo, um...Krystal,” I began patiently, “I pretty much know how a computer room works...but didn’t you say you wanted me to meet someone?”

“Oh yeah,” Krystal said dumbfoundly, “Well, you coulda stopped me from my rambling! Wasting all this time..my gosh, Ms. Liu. ” My Gosh, you stupid lez.

“Just follow me. She’s a really cool girl. Her name’s Victoria. She’s a little nerdy but you’ll just love her...” She led me further into the very back of the computer room, where bookshelves occupied the area, until she noticed a girl with long brunette hair tied neatly with pink long ribbons that pulled her hair  back into two long brown ugly puffballs for  pigtails sitting with her knees touching and her bum in between her calves(that uncomfortable anime position). She was facing a bookshelf and her head was buried deeply into a book as if the lighting in the room wasn’t enough. I was kinda afraid to meet her now...if I hadn’t know any better, I would’ve mistaken her for a little girl with those childish ribbons and the position she was sitting in...Ick.

The right side of my upper lip began to rise in disgust as Krystal called for her. “Oh, Vicky!”

She quickly craned her neck to reveal those thickly rimmed glasses, that small red nose, and, oh my gosh, sniffling. Like NO TOMORROW.
My biggest pet peeve is sniffling. Can you spell IRRITANT??
VICTORIA!” Krystal cried out. Everyone looked and shushed at her, and Victoria looked just plain embarrassed, “Hehe, I mean Victoria....

“Oh, hey Krystal, who’s this?” I couldn’t help but feel bad for her. Her nose was so blocked that when she talked, it sounded like it hurt to breathe. She then took a quick shot of nasal inhaler.......gross.

“This is our new student,” cue the awkward smile, “Liu Amber. She transferred from China, just like you, and-”


“Krystal, how many times do I have to tell you that I didn’t transfer from China. My family just happens to be from there.”

She understands my struggle. My smile became genuine. “She does that to you too?” I in. “So far, in every room that I’ve been to, she’s told the teacher that I’m from China...I take it she doesn’t listen well.” Krystal’s jaw hit the floor and her eyes bugged out.

Victoria giggled, “Haha, that’s something she needs to work on. Talking is her strong suit, getting her to shut up is another story.”

“YOU GUYS I’M RIGHT HERE!!!” Krysta’s voice was projecting again...it’s like she doesn’t even know she’s in a library. She didn’t even flinch when the workers shushed at her this time. Once she had our attention again, she continued with the intro. “Oh, right, forgot to say--Amber, in front of you is the Womanity Pageant 2nd place winner for Seunghyo Blossom for three consecutive years.”
What? This SLOB? Win a Womanity Pageant??
Wait...what the hell is “womanity”?

At that moment, Victoria stood up, brushing her skirt. “Krystal, I appreciate you for your acknowledgement, but fill her in first.” It’s as if she was reading my thoughts. Chinese telepathy.

“Ugh, fine,” Krystal began, “It’s basically an annual fun event in the middle of the school year where you show what you’ve learned so far and show your femininity and etiquette in contests and there are bonus stuff too, like a pig out contest, a jump rope, and a talent show, in which Vicky and this other chick are the cut above the rest”

“Oh, so it’s basically a multi-event pageant...cool. Well, that’ll be something I won’t be doing this year.” Me? Competing in a beauty pageant...f.u.n.n.y.

“Well, I’m sorry to say this,” Victoria began, “but it’s mandatory. It’s worth half your final grade. If you don’t do it, you’ll pretty much fail; unless there’s a breakthrough in your Judgement Day presentation, which is basically your final exam.”

Aww, crap. I gotta attend this stupid pageant? In case they didn’t catch my drift, I’m not the most feminine girl in the building. It’s horrible, I say. People may be struggling with the whole manners concept, and now our flaws and ignorance will be magnified with people watching us as we compete for the top rank and the highest grade? NOT COOL! And then worst of all, we have another one at the end of the school year? Bullshxt.

After, we bidded our adieus. Vicky appeared to be a nice gal..but a little too weird for my liking...or anyone’s liking.
Krystal and I turned back when all of a sudden:
“Oh, Amber, don’t you know we wear uniforms around here?”

Aw, crud, my uniform! “Um, Krystal, I need my--”
“Wait, wait, I need to potty. Stay right here.”
“But...but...”Ugh! She rushed out the room.





Now, it’s about 9:00 AM and I still haven’t gotten my uniform. Class starts in 30 minutes, and I’m not about to walk in that classroom in this.. I’d be like an elephant in a tutu...
So I finally said, “Krystal, where do I go to get my uniform?”

She smiled. “Oh, that? Well, why didn’t you ask sooner, I’ve had it with me the entire time.”






















“It’s not worth it,” I mumbled to myself as I practically snatched it from her while she pointed me to the restroom she just walked out of. I stomped my way over there. Yeah, I know it was childish of me....but I do what I want. Badass.

When I got to the bathroom, a few things happened in the time span of 3 seconds:

1. I peeked at the uniform and saw that there was a skirt. I felt like a total fool for not realizing it earlier, but what the hell, man? I am NOT wearing this short skirt! UGH!

2. Apparently, Krystal was following my dramatic march to the bathroom, and was surprisingly silent the entire time. I freaked out when I saw her reflection in the mirror and screamed “What the hell! You can’t sneak up on people like that!”

3. A girl with huge eyes and  tissue paper tagging along to her black shoes came out of a bathroom stall and screamed, “It’s a boy, it’s a boy! Get out, GET OUT, GET OUT! Then she started to attack me with her purse! I mean, WHAT THE HELL!

Damn this heavy purse, damn this random chick, damn Krystal, damn this uniform, damn this school.

They can all kiss my Chinese !

 


 

[A/N] - So.....yeah. It's been a while hehe. We're both really, really, really sorry.....real life just caught up to us XP In fact, we're still busy, got this big week long test bs (which they started on Tuesday, and ends on Monday....lolwhut?). Anyway, we promise to update more often. As an apology, we give this long chapter and and sneak preview of what's to come....after the jump :D