The Ending That No One Expected

Wedding Bells

 

“Dress?”

 

“Checked.”

 

“Bouquet?”

 

“Checked.”

 

“Cake?”

 

“Checked.”

 

“Giant, rusty anchor?!”

 

“OH MY GOSH!” I screamed in panic. “I FORGOT THE…giant…rusty…anchor.” I finally stopped panicking when I realized what Bom just said. I huffed angrily at my friends who were convulsed with laughter. It was Bom who regained herself first and she said, “Relax, Dara. Everything’s accounted for. I know this is a big day, but please, relax.”

 

She stood up and grabbed my shoulders. “Now say it after me….RELAX…”

 

“Relax,” I repeated but my voice was still stiff and worried.

 

Bom rolled her eyes and groaned. She went to my dresser and grabbed the bottle of my favorite perfume. She sprayed it directly to my face and roared, “KEEP CALM AND JUST SMELL!” I ran after her and I returned to my playful self once again.

 

Bom and I sat on an empty couch, catching our breaths, while the others laughed. Minzy smiled at me and said, “Chukae, unnie. You look really pretty today. Oppa is a lucky guy.”

 

“He certainly is,” CL gushed. She giddily screamed and said, “Aigoo, I want to get married too!”

 

“I still can’t believe you got married ahead of us,” Han Byul said while laughing. Gummy nodded and faked a cry while Bom and Hye Sun laughed. Everyone was in good spirits until someone knocked. Hye Sun stood up and cautiously went to the door.

 

“Who is it?”

 

“It’s me, Jiyong.”

 

Jiyong?

 

“Can I see Dara?” Jiyong asked.

 

CL frowned and shouted, “No, you can’t! She’s already wearing her dress!”

 

I can hear Jiyong’s laugh at the other side of the door. “Dara, are you there?”

 

“Yes, I’m being kidnapped! Help me!” I cried. My bridesmaids chuckled at my distress call.

 

Jiyong guffawed. “Don’t worry. They’ll release you real soon.” I glanced at the clock on the wall and the other girls did the same. It was almost time. I heard Jiyong say his goodbye and my girls followed suit, giving me their best wishes.

 

I turned to the mirror and saw my reflection. Despite Bom spraying my face with perfume, I had nothing to worry about. I was wearing minimal make-up, and what I saw was not a beautiful face, but a happy one, because the day I waited for so long finally came.

 

At first, it was difficult. Telling everyone that we have been dating broke a lot of hearts. It also caused chaos within the company. Getting Thunder’s approval was also hard. He was deeply scarred by what our father did.

 

My future husband stood by my side all those times and fulfilled his promise that he will fight for me and our love, no matter what happens.

 

And eventually they all changed their minds.

 

Until we came to this.

 

When the wedding planner told me that it was time, I took a deep breath and walked out of the room. My wedding would take place in the church where he confessed his feelings to me and promised me forever.

 

When the car arrived, the place was filled with fans but they kept their distance. I loved them for respecting us and our decision. Someone opened the car door for me, and I saw Thunder, looking so debonair in his suit. He was smiling sweetly at me as I took his hand. He led me out of the car and hugged me. I hugged him back, and when we finally let go, my dongsaeng said, “I talked to him earlier, noona, and I’m perfectly sure he’ll take care of you.”

 

I smiled at him, too overwhelmed with happiness to say something. Bom came and hugged me, too. She was my maid-of-honor and as parting words, she said, “He’s a lucky guy, Dara.”

 

The orchestra played Pachelbel’s Canon and one by one, the others entered the church. Finally, it was my turn.

 

As I entered the church, I nervously tightened my grip around Thunder’s arm and he squeezed my hand to reassure me that he’s got me. Everyone we knew was there and they stood up to face me, but I only saw his, like everything blended in the background except for him. He was smiling at me, and was staring at me like I was the most beautiful thing in the world. I smiled back at him because I felt his love through his eyes.

 

Bom was wrong.

 

He’s not the lucky person here.

 

I am.



 

“I’m so nervous.”

 

I was in the dressing room with TOP-hyung and he laughed at my comment. “Why would you be?” he asked.

 

Before I could answer, Se7en-hyung entered the room and said, “Ya, you two, get ready now! Seungri, Daesung and Taeyang were already at church.” He went on muttering to himself and shook his head, saying, “Is it really your wedding day?”

 

TOP-hyung and I both laughed. Se7en-hyung was still bitter with the fact that the wedding came sooner than his and Han Byul-noona’s. He kept on saying that he and his girlfriend should be first, but as far as we knew, he hasn’t even proposed yet.

 

We were on our way to the car when I stopped and said, “I’ll see someone first. You go ahead.”

 

“You know its bad luck to see the bride before the wedding.” TOP-hyung turned to me and chuckled. I shrugged it off and waved goodbye at them. I left for the bridal dressing room after I saw Se7en-hyung’s car drive away.

 

I heard the girls’ giddy screams when I was still in the corridor and I laughed to myself. After this day, one of them won’t be the same. She’ll be married and everyone would have to call her with a different last name. It won’t be Sandara Park anymore.

 

I knocked on the door and heard Hye Sun-noona’s voice. “Who is it?”

 

“It’s me, Jiyong.” I heard whispers from the room. “Can I see Dara?”

 

“No, you can’t! She’s already wearing her dress!” I guessed that it was 2NE1’s fierce leader, CL, who owned that voice.

 

Why are they so superstitious? What’s wrong with seeing someone in her wedding dress?

 

I laughed and hoped that Dara was in there. “Dara, are you there?” I asked through the door.

 

“Yes! I’m being kidnapped! Help me!” she cried.

 

I knew it was Dara. She always sounded like a lady and today was no exception. Oh, how I love to hear her sweet and fresh voice.

 

If I wanted to, I could just barge in and whisk her away from her friends. But barging in a room filled with women who wanted to get married might not be the smartest idea. I guffawed and said, “Don’t worry. They’ll release you real soon.” In my mind, I saw them look at the clock inside the room.

 

“I’m going,” I informed her. “I’ll see you later.”

 

I walked to my car and drove to the church where the wedding will be held. The place was filled with cherry trees and the flowers have already started to bloom. The flowers have created an ethereal feeling and everything looked so picture perfect.

 

It was the perfect day for a wedding.

 

I saw Seungri flirting with a couple of young actresses and I laughed. Seungri, you are a certified Casanova. How dare you flirt on a wedding? Daesung and Taeyang were inside the church. Each would give a solo as part of the wedding’s music. TOP-hyung and Se7en-hyung were with Dara’s mother. So I went to Thunder, who looked green with anxiety.

 

“Hyung,” Thunder called when he saw me approaching. We exchanged a manly hug, and he smiled at me. He looked like Dara when he did.

 

“What should I do? I’m so nervous,” he asked.

 

I gave him a couple of advices, and he finally calmed down. Thunder took a deep breath and said, “Thank you, hyung. You’re the best.” I playfully punched his arm and went inside the church. Moments later, the bride finally arrived and the music started.

 

I took a couple of deep breaths and looked at TOP-hyung. He was grinning at me as he said, “This is it.” I grinned back at him, and turned our attention to the unearthly figure that entered the church. Everyone stood up to see the bride but my eyes were only focused on her.

 

Dara looked like a true goddess wearing her wedding dress. Her hair was let down, and she looked so gorgeous wearing no makeup. She was a natural beauty indeed. She was wearing that smile that melted everyone’s hearts and I too, smiled.

 

But deep inside…

 

…I was hurting…

 

…because even though she’s smiling…

 

…I knew her smiles were not for me.

 

Her smiles were for TOP-hyung, the groom, who was standing beside me.

 

Because in this wedding, I was merely the best man.

 

The girl I love found true love in someone else. And now they’re getting married.

 

When TOP-hyung took Dara’s hand, everyone sighed, because just by looking at their stares, they were obviously in love. No words were needed to be said. Their eyes say it all.

 

When they have said their vows, my heart cried, because it got me to think of the past, the past I had with her. The dreams we used to share are their dreams now.

 

All I am to her now is her friend. For me to think that her smile was for me was just wishful thinking.

 

She was never mine to begin with.

 

The guy in her life just made her his wife, and I believed, as the wedding bells rang, he believed he’s a very lucky guy.


To see the sequel, click here.