3

Developing Friendship

I hate the library. I hate the silence. I hate being surrounded by complete strangers. But what I hate the most are the two people sitting in front of me.

Shinwoo looked over at me and smirked, “What’s with the long face Sandeul?”

If it’s possible to kill someone with a glare, then Shinwoo should be dead right now. “Die.”

Suddenly, there was a loud burst of laughter from the person sitting beside Shinwoo. “Wow Deulie,” he said in-between laughter, “Only you can tell someone to die so easily like that.”

“What did I tell you about calling me Deulie,” I said as I was now glaring at the blonde headed boy. I don’t remember ever approving of that name. Isn’t Sandeul embarrassing enough? Why need another embarrassing name?

“Aw, cut Baro some slack,” Shinwoo said as he threw an arm around Baro’s shoulders, “It’s a cute nickname. And besides, aren’t you two friends?” he said as he gave me a smirk. This kid sure knows how to piss somebody off.

I was seconds away of saying ‘No. We’re not friends.’ until I saw the bright smile Baro wore on his face. I knew if I said anything mean, that smile would wipe away and Shinwoo would never let me off for making Baro sad. Not that he really cares. He’ll just do it to annoy me.

“Shut up,” I muttered as I crossed my arms against my chest and sank deeper into my chair. I wanted to get out of here and go home. I want to sleep. I like sleep. I need sleep.

“Hey,” Shinwoo said as he looked over to an attractive girl that was scanning over one of the bookshelves. “I’ll be right back.” And with that, he went to chase after her. It was pointless anyways, Shinwoo was horrible with girls.

“Idiot,” I muttered once he left the table. I’m still at a lost as to how I'm related to such a moron.

Baro looked over at me and flashed a smile, “Aw, come on. Your cousin’s really nice. I don’t see why you didn’t want me to meet him. I think we can be great friends.”

“My cousin is a complete imbecile who is incapable of doing the simplest task without causing mayhem and destruction.”

The smile was now gone off of Baro’s face and he kept blinking his eyes over and over again in confusion. “Those were some big words you just said.” Really, those were big words? Now we know who's an even bigger idiot than Shinwoo. And even I thought that was impossible.

“Deullie, did you really not want to come?” Baro asked with a frown. He scooted over to the seat beside me and waited for an answer.

“It’d be a lie if I say that I didn’t,” I mumbled loud enough for him to hear.

Baro pouted and sank down into his seat. “I’m sorry. If you didn’t want to come, you could have just said so. Then again, you were the one who invited me out.”

I looked over at Baro, and for the oddest reason, guilt hit me. Which is surprising, because I never feel guilty. If I did, would I dislike so many people? I think not. Beside, I wasn't even the one who invited him out. This is all Shinwoo's fault. So if anybody should feel guilty, it should be him.

I sighed and shook my head. “It’s not that,” I said, “It’s just that Shinwoo manages to easily bring my mood down even if he’s not trying. It’s as if he has a spell book of some sort that teaches him ways of annoying me.”

Baro made a thinking face before suddenly sitting up and smiled at me once again. God, does this kid smile a lot. It’s creepy but oddly comforting at the same time. But mostly creepy.

“Let’s ditch him then,” Baro said.

“Ditch?” I questioned as I raised my eyebrow.

Baro nodded his head and before I could even bother to respond, he grabbed ahold of my wrist and pulled me to my feet. The next thing I know, I was being dragged out of the library and away from Shinwoo. Thank goodness. I don't think I was going to be able to handle even another minute in there.

Once we existed the quiet building, Baro let go of me and stretched his arms out while letting out a long groan. “Man, I hate the library,” he said as he finished his stretching.

“If you hate the library, why did you agree to meet me here?” I muttered under my breath.

Baro looked over at me and smiled brightly. “I wanted to hang out with you again.”

I squinted my eyes at him before letting out a sigh. “Whatever,” I mumbled as I walked past him and headed who knows where. I personally didn’t want to be near the library. The silence makes me tense up too much and uncomfortable, unless it's my own silence. I was just lucky that Baro is a chatter box so it wasn’t all too quiet inside the building. But then again, all his talking gave me a headache.

“So, where do you want to go?” Baro suddenly asked from behind me.

I stopped walking and turned around to face him. “Who said I was going to go anywhere with you?”

Baro pouted and suddenly this weird feeling hit my chest.  Don't tell me its that stupid "guilt" feeling again. Oh please, I can never feel guilty. But looking at that pathetic pout that Baro’s lips are forming, it makes me want to do whatever I can to make it stop. So it’s not guilt. Just annoyance.

“Fine,” I muttered as I looked away from his pouting face, “We’ll hang out for a little bit. Only for an hour, okay?”

Baro’s face suddenly brighten up as he grabbed my arm like an excited little kid, which is probably is. “Great! And I know exactly what to do!”

How come I have a horrible feeling about this?

--

“Why the hell are we here?”

I glared around the women secetion at the department store as females of different ages were giving me and Baro an odd look. I’d give a look like that too if I found two teenage boys hanging around the women’s section like some kind of ert. Luckily, Baro looked more like the creep than I do. But it still didn't help that I was standing next to him. 

“Shh,” Baro said as he pointed towards a group of high school girls who were crowded around each other and giggling like annoying fools. Which, of course, they are.

I have this thing against high school girls. They are all the same. Annoying and always causes drama. Then again, the only contact I really only had with a teenage girl are my cousins. But even they are annoying, and I only see them once every few months. But once is enough.

“What about them?” I questioned as I eyed the girls from afar. Baro and I were standing behind one of the large selves and the girls were a couple of feet away, completely oblivious of our presence. Unless they were just pretending that they haven't noticed us yet. Seriously, it's not that hard to miss us.

“They’re hot,” Baro said, like if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I admit, they are attractive, but I wouldn’t label any of them in the “hot” category. Then again, I don’t approve of calling girls such thing. You either call them cute, attractive or beautiful. Never hot nor y. That’s just disrespectful in my mind. But the only reason I even think like this is probably because I was raised by my mother. She's all about respect.

“So what?” I muttered, hoping we could leave from here. I was never comfortable with the idea of being surrounded by so many females. I should be used to girls since I've been to a co-ed school before, but being in an all-boys school for over a year already really did mess up my mind.

“So what?” he repeated me in disbelief, “Man, you don’t get it, do you?”

I shook my head in confusion. And a little annoyance.

“Look,” Baro sighed as he threw an arm around me, “This place is the best when scouting out hot girls. There are hot girls everywhere. So even if you get rejected by one, it’s not long until you can find another one to chase after. It's great here!”

I furrowed my eyebrows as I glared over to Baro. What ever happened to ‘liking one person at a time and keeping your eyes locked on them and them only’? It seems now that all guys and girls wants to do is hook up with each for the fun of it. Which is completely not the reason for dating. Not that I ever dated before. And not that I even want to.

“I’m not in any mood for this,” I muttered as I shrugged Baro’s arm off of me, “Besides, I said I was only hanging with you for an hour. There’s only half an hour left, so I’d be pointless even if we did try to chase after those girls.”

“Trust me Deullie,” I really need to smack some sense to Baro about that stupid nickname, “I can get us a date with two of the hottest girls in that group within 7 minutes.”

I laughed out loud at Baro’s pathetic thought. “You really think you can get those girls to go out with us?” It wasn't that I wanted to. In fact, I didn’t. But Baro’s overconfidence annoyed me to the highest level and I wanted to prove a point to him. “Fine. You get dates for us.” I wanted to see Baro get rejected with my own two eyes. That sounds like fun to me.

“You can count on me.” Baro flashed me a grin before he grabbed my hand and dragged me along with him to the group of girls.

I panicked a bit, since I honestly didn’t want to be anywhere near those girls. They might be attractive, but that didn’t mean I was anywhere near interested in them. And also, the idea of Baro holding my hands creeped me out. Not because he was a guy or anything. But for a guy; they were really soft.

“Hey, girls,” Baro smiled as we finally reached the group of girls. There were four of them and for a minute I didn’t know which one Baro had intended to get us dates with. They were all pretty.

“Oh, hi.” One said in a snotty attitude. Well, looks like I don’t like her already. She was wearing these tight jeans that looked like they were just piercing through her skin. It was completely uncomfortable to look at and I wondered how can girls wear tight clothes like that? A majority of them can hardly even sit in the clothes they wear sometimes.

“Do you mind if I ask you lovely ladies a question?” Baro asked as he began ignoring the snotty one and put his attention to the other three.

“Sure,” a cute one with glasses said. She seemed nice. And besides, I’d rather go after someone cute than “hot”. Not that I wanted to go after her or anything.

“You see,” Baro said as he suddenly pulled me to his side an threw an arm around me, “My little cousin and I are having difficulty with choosing a get-well present for our sick Aunt.”

“Oh gosh,” a pretty tall one said as she placed both her hands on her cheeks in shock. Seriously, why do girls even do that? Don’t they know they look weird doing it? “Your Aunt is sick? What does she have?”

Baro hesitated for a moment. It was obvious he hadn’t thought that they might ask what was wrong with their sick aunt. Which was dumb, because that should have been one of the first details you'd come up with if you were going to use a lie like that. Normally, I don’t play with something if it involves lying, but the helpless look Baro had in his eyes annoyed me.

“We just learned she has the severe skin infection that won’t go away for another couple of weeks,” I said, taking Baro’s place in this lying game, “So we decided to get something for her, in hopes she’ll get better soon. The situation though, is that since we are both males, we haven’t a clue as to what to get for our lovely Aunt.”

“Y-yeah,” Baro said as he finally managed to get himself back on track, “So we were wondering if you guys had any ideas to give her as a gift.”

“Preferably something soft so it won’t irritate her skin any more than it already is,” I added, just to make the lie a little more believable. I had no idea, but I felt like I needed to help Baro. Even if I knew it probably isn’t the best thing to do. I shouldn't be digging deeper into the grave when I can hardly get out already as it is.

“I’m brain dead,” the last girl with purple highlights said as she rolled her eyes and went to stand by the other snotty chick. She muttered something along the lines of, "Why should we even help these dorks," to the other tight jeans girl. A shot them a glare, which they both took noticed of, and then put my attention on the last two girls.

“You should get her something warm,” the tall girl said in excitement.

“Maybe something like a microwaveable heating pad or some nice warm fuzzy slippers,” the glasses one suggested.

“An electrical blanket sounds good too,” the tall girl added, “But it all depends on how much money you guys have. It may be a little expensive.”

Baro smiled at the two girls and nodded his head, “We have enough. Thank you two for helping.” I just nodded my head in agreement.

“No problem,” the glasses girl said with a smile. I noticed she was looking mainly at me though. Please don’t tell me she’s trying to hint something.

“How about this,” Baro said as he clapped his hands together, “As a sign of our appreciation, why don't me and my cousin take you two lovely girls out for something to eat?”

I was expecting them to say no so I could laugh as Baro’s plan went down the drain. But instead, to my disapproval, they actually agreed. Next think I knew, Baro’s exchanging numbers with the tall one and making an agreement as to where to meet up with them later today.

At last, the four girls walked away, with the glasses girl and tall girl giggling to each other while the other two were rolling their eyes and glaring at us. Especially at me.

Baro smirked as he looked over at me, “What did I say? I told you I could get us dates.”

I smirked back and wagged my finger at him. “False,” I said, “You stated that you could get us dates in 7 minutes or under. That was more than 7 minutes.”

Baro stared at me for a long time and I was starting to get creped out by him again. This kid sure knows to how ruin the atmosphere. Suddenly, he burst out laughing and actually had to use my shoulders as support to keep him standing.

“Man,” Baro said in between laughter while at the same time trying to catch his breath, “You talk so funny.”

I blinked in confusion. How do I talk funny? It’s not like I communicate using words I made up in my head, right? “Explain to me exactly how I talk funny?”

“I don’t know,” Baro said as his laughter calmed down to a chuckle, “You used these big words like you’re some old wise man or something.”

I blinked.

This kid really likes to piss me off.

“Forget it,” Baro said with a chuckle, “Just, don’t change, alright? I like how you talk.”

I glared at the other male. This guy is the weird one here. Not me.

“Now come on,” Baro said as he grabbed my wrist, “We need to get ready for out dates tonight.”

--

“And then, BOOM, the whole thing exploded right before I could even throw it!”

The two girls sitting at the table bursted into laughter at Baro's story. I, on the other hands, was not amused of what was coming out of his mouth.

I hate dates. Even though this is honestly the first date I’ve even been on (if you can consider it a real date), I already dislike it. I don’t like the idea of having to go out with somebody and are forced to have your full attention on them. Especially when you don’t like them in a romantic way. Like right now. I have no feelings towards the girl I’m on the “date” with, so I see no point in actually being here. If I actually did like her, then it’ll be completely different.

“Junghwan, are you alright?” My date, who was the girl in the glasses, asked. Stupid Baro. He said, and I quote ‘Don’t tell the girls your nickname, alright? It might be a turnoff to them. So just go with your real name or something.’ What that idiot doesn’t know is that I despise my real name. Hence, the only real reason why I use that embarrassing nickname. Hey, I prefer Sandeul than Junghwa anyday and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I stared blankly at the girl sitting across from me.

No, I’m not alright miss- whatever your name is. I’m pretty sure you told me what it was, but I honestly don’t really care enough to remember it. But anyways, I’m not alright. I don’t want to be here on this date. And I especially don’t want to be here with you three. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure you’re a decent girl and all, but you’re just not my taste.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

The girl in the glasses smiled, “That’s good. For a minute, I thought you weren’t having fun.”

Oh trust me, I’m not.

I don’t know how long this pathetic date lasted, but what I can tell you is, I haven’t the slightest idea as to what was going on.

I continuously dazed in and out, so I wasn’t fully committed into the conversation. Not that I mind.

All I really remember was hearing Baro tell a story about a prank gone wrong and the next thing I knew the date has ended, with Baro making another date plan with the tall girl.

The glasses girl must have thought I was going to do the same, and it was obvious that she was waiting for me to ask the question. But I wasn’t going to ask her. Why should I? I didn't even want to be here on the first date, why on Earth would I ask you for a second?

“This was fun,” the glasses girl said to me while Baro and the other girl continued talking about their future plans and exchanging numbers.

I just nodded my head. Hopefully, Baro can finish his conversation and we can get out of here.

“It’ll be nice if we get to see each other again,” the girl said with some hope in her voice.

“We’ll let destiny decide on that,” I mumbled as I looked around the restaurant. Hurry up Baro. I want to get out of here. Now.

“Maybe we can help destiny?” the girl said as she gave me a flirty smile.

“I wouldn’t mess around with destiny if I were you,” I said, hoping she’ll just drop the whole subject.

Luckily, she did.

And within a few minutes, me and Baro were walking back home without the two girls.

“I hate you,” I muttered as I rubbed my hands together for warmth. It was already dark outside and it was getting chilly. I was an idiot and didn’t bring a sweater. I didn’t think I’d be this cold at night. I’m not used to being out after dark, since I’m hardly out at all.

“Aw, come on. Maybe if you actually talked, then you would have had fun too.”

I stopped walking, which caused Baro to stop and turn and look at me.

Alright, I’ve had it. I’ve gotten more annoyed today by Baro than I have ever gotten before in my life. I don’t know why, but even looking at him right now was annoying me. That innocent look on his face. That careless expression he always has. This is only the second time I've see him and I already have a strong hatred towards him. “I’m not the kind of person to just join in conversations, you know” I pointed out, “I don’t like scouting for girls like you made me do and I most certainly don't like going on dates with them.”

“But it was just this one time,” Baro said with a smile. “It’s not like you have to date that chick again, though I would have if I were you. She was cute.”

“I don’t care if she was cute.”

Baro pouted and once again, that weird feeling crept up on me. This serioudly can’t really be guilt, can it? “I’m sorry. I should have at least asked before forcing you to join the date.”

I bit my bottom lip and looked away with my eyebrows furrowed. Stupid idiot. “Whatever,” I muttered as I continued to walk.

“So you’re not mad at me?” Baro asked as he jogged up behind me. Without looking at him, I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“Whatever,” I repeated.

Baro smiled widely as he interlocked my arm with his “Yay, Deullie isn’t mad at me!” he cheered like some little annoying brat.

“Hey!” I snapped, “What did I say about that nickname?”

“Aw,” Baro said as he, for some reason, snuggled closer to me with that annoying smile on his face, “But it’s cute. And you’re cute. So it’s perfect for you.”

“Don’t call me cute,” I mumbled, as I just continued to walk with Baro practically on top of me. Normally, I would have pulled him off, but I was mentally exhausted to even deal with him. This was the longest I've ever dealt with another person and I seriously just needed a long sleep.

“Why not? It’s true. You’re so adorable!” he pinched my cheeks and I knew any second I was about to crack.

But suddenly I felt my cellphone vibrate. I took it out and noticed it was an incoming call from my mother.

“Hello?”

“Lee Junghwan! Where on Earth are you?” I heard my mother snapped from the other side of the line.

“I-“

“Do you know how worried sick I am?! Why are you not with Shinwoo? Huh? Who said you could wonder off by yourself?”

“But, I’m not by myself,” I said. I had completely forgotten about Shinwoo and how me and Baro just left him alone at the library. That was a few hours ago. I wonder what lie he told my mom to get her this piss.

“Really?” she said in confusion, “You’re actually with someone?”

“Yeah,” I mumbled as I glanced over at Baro, who was still clinging on my shoulder. “With a friend…”

I heard a gasp from the other line and got confused for a moment. “My son is actually out with a friend!?” my mother exclaimed in disbelief.

She said it so loud, Baro even heard it. he began chuckled and actually had to hide his face on my shoulder to muffle out the laughter. I glared at the phone, disappointed at the fact that my mother couldn’t see it. “I have to go mom. I’ll be home in a bit.”

“Okay, okay,” she said. “Oh, I can’t wait until your grandma hears about this!” with that, she shut the phone off. I didn't even mean it when I said friend. I just didn't know how to label Baro without having to spend the next 10 minutes trying to explain my relationship with him to my mother.

Baro continued to chuckle into my shoulder and I was begining to get annoyed. Then again, when don’t I get annoyed? Especially when I'm with Baro.

“You don’t have friends?” Baro teased after he managed to calm himself down a bit.

“I never had a friend before. And I don’t want friends,” I muttered as I tried to walk away. But of course, Baro followed.

It got quiet between us as he continued walking and soon enough, we were close by my apartment.

“I’m leaving first,” I announced as I headed towards a different direction from Baro.

I heard Baro yell out a goodbye and I simply did a quick wave in return, just to get him to shut up.

I had to sneak inside my apartment, just in case my mother wouldn’t spot me. If she did, she’d attack me with nonstop questions about my new ‘friend’.

I don't consider Baro a friend and I don't think I will anytime soon.

After taking a quick shower and changed into comfortable clothing, I went to charge my phone. It wasn’t until then I noticed I gotten a text.

And of course, it was the same person.

I opened Baro’s text and what was written sort of surprised me.

From: Baro
   im glad to be your first friend ^^

I raised my eyebrow at the text and continued to stare at it as I lay down on my bed.

Baro. He’s really something.