2

Developing Friendship

From:  Come on just tell me

To:  No. I’m not telling you, it’s nothing important.

From: it must be if you dont want to tell me

To:  Maybe I don’t want to tell you because I don’t know you well enough?

From:  what do you mean you dont know me well enough. we’ve been talking for about 3 weeks. thats plenty of time

I rolled my eyes at the last text Baro had sent me. To my surprise, Baro has been texting me every day since the night of the party, and that was almost a month ago. He’ll text me around the same time and the conversation usually ends around the same time as well. From 1:00 P.M to 11:30 P.M. Every day, for 10 hours straight. Imagine how annoying that can be.

I have to admit, it feel a bit weird texting to someone. I never texted before, despite the fact that I have unlimited. I always assumed I would be a horrible texter. But of course, Baro is always the one to text first.

I thought that after a week, he’d forget about me. But I was completely wrong. He’s been texting every single day. And it surprised me because I’m not used to talking to someone on a daily bases, other than my parents. I try not to.

I was right about me being a horrible texter. I could never think of anything to talk about, but luckily Baro is always the one who keeps the conversation alive. If it seems like it’ll die anytime soon, he’ll change topic and soon enough the conversation is back to normal. The only annoying part about texting Baro is his horrible grammar. It’s like this kid never went to school before.

Most of the time Baro just talks about himself. I’m okay with that, since I hate opening up to people. And at least every now and then he tries to get me to talk about myself. But he rarely succeeds.

Like today. He had asked me if I was having a good day. I mistakenly told him that I wasn’t and now he won’t stop asking me why. That annoying brat.

To: Just forget it, okay?

I pressed the send button and sighed. I looked around the cafeteria and was glad that I wasn’t in the middle of class. If I was, it’d be harder to text Baro since I’d have to hide the fact I was texting from the teachers. I noticed that Mr. Shin was inside the school cafeteria, scanning the room for any students who was cutting. If only he knew I was one of them.

Mr. Shin is- actually, I don’t really know who Mr. Shin is. All I know is that he spends the whole school day trying to find students who cut class and force them to go back. If you get caught by him, well good luck. He can be pretty scary. The only good thing about Mr. Shin is that he only looks for the delinquents of the school. So if you seem like an innocent student, like me, he’d be the last person up your .

I felt my phone vibrate again.

From: come on deullie tell me i promise i wont judge

To: If I tell you, will you stop calling me Deulie?

Now, Deullie was a random nickname Baro gave me. I have no idea what gave him the idea that he can start calling me that, but he does. He mainly only calls me that when he wants to get something out of me, like now. Usually, I despise people when they try to give me stupid nicknames, but I guess Baro could be an exception.

From:  yes please :)

To: My cousin is coming over today.

From: … so?

To:  And this is why I didn’t want to tell you.

My cousin has to be the most annoying, thick headed, little punk you could ever meet. He’s one of the reasons why I dislike people. His sarcasm is much worse than mine, and you’d be lucky if he doesn’t piss you off the first time you meet him. I swear, there are so many times where I just wanted to punch him in the face. And I have before. This is why our parents try not to put each other in the same room. But every now and then, they do. We are cousins afterall, and that means we have no choice but "to love each other," or so my mother claims.

From: whats so bad about your cousin

To: Trust me; if you ever met him, you wouldn’t be happy if he came over either.

From: i want to meet your him

To: Are you stupid?

From: thats what most people tell me :P but seriously let me meet him. i bet hes not that bad

To: You’d easily lose that bet.

The bell rang, signaling that fourth period was over and fifth was about to begin. I had grammar class next. Maybe Baro should be taking that class instead of me. What I wonder is, does he even pay attention in any of his classes?  He seems to always have his attention to his phone since he’s quite a fast texter.

I spent the rest of the day like always. I avoided as much people as possible, did what I had to do in all my classes, and made sure nobody tried to go near me. The only difference was that every now and then I’d text Baro. I almost got caught twice in class. Stupid teachers. Don’t they have better things in their life other than trying to catch students texting in the middle of class?

I finally made it home after a long day at school. I wish I was never put into that school. It’s unfair that I’m the only person in this family that was put in an all-boy school. Actually, I just don’t like school in general. I tried convincing my Mom to let me be home schooled, but she didn’t approve of it. Something about “growing boys need to be around people their own ages” or whatever. But that’s just her way of saying “a home school teacher is a lot of money". I don't blame her for thinking like that. We're not the richest family around.

I slammed the apartment door as I walked in and threw my school bag on the couch. “Mom, I’m alive,” I called out.

The apartment was quiet, which made me a bit suspicious. Usually by now, Mom would come out and complain about how messy my room is and how I need to clean it before my cousin comes. Unless…

I hesitantly walked over to my room and looked up at the closed door. I was late to the bus this morning and I swore I left it open before I left to school.

I grabbed ahold of the door handle and let out a long breath before slowing opening it. What I found inside caused me to frown automatically.

“What are you doing here?” I asked my cousin, Shinwoo. He was lying lazily on my bed and was messing around with my laptop. Something I really do not appreciate. “And who said you could go on my laptop?” How did he even figure out the password on it?

“I was just checking something out,” Shinwoo muttered before looking up at me, “What got your balls tied up in a knot?”

Your presence. “Nothing.” I slumped on my bed and let out a long irritated sigh. Can this kid go home? Doesn’t he have his own laptop to mess around with?

“Anyways,” Shinwoo mumbled as he tossed my laptop on the side of the bed. I swear, if he was to break it, his face will break along with it. “Your mom is out running an errand. So it’s just the two of us. What do you want to do?”

“Well, have to do something online.” I grabbed my laptop and opened it. I didn’t care if I was considered rude to be online while having guest over. I don’t even want Shinwoo here. He can leave for all I care. And trust me, I really don’t. Besides, what I have to do online is much more important than paying any attention to my sarcastic cousin.

I went to do what I had to do and was too busy paying attention to the screen that I didn’t notice Shinwoo grabbing ahold of my phone.

“Who the hell is Baro?” he asked as he skimmed through my messages. He had a playful smirk on his face, probably making fun of our conversation. Stupid bastard. He’s lucky I don’t kick his  right here on the spot.

“Just some kid. Don’t worry about it.” I tired snatching the phone back, but Shinwoo held it away from my reach.

“What kind of name is Baro?” he playfully teased.

“It’s just a nickname,” I tired grabbing the phone again, but he pushed me back. What the hell. Last time I checked, that was my phone. “You have a stupid nickname too, you know.”

“Hey,” Shinwoo shot me a glare before pushing me away again, “CNU is not a stupid nickname. It’s what makes me popular.”

“Yeah, popular to the idiots,” I muttered to myself. The funny part is, his real name isn't even Shinwoo either. It's actually Dongwoo. But when he was little, some kid used to make fun of him by call him Dogwoo and so eventually he started going with the name Shinwoo.

Here's a secret: that kid was me.

“At least my nickname isn’t Sandeul. Seriously, what the hell is a Sandeul? ” Shinwoo looked down at my cell again and smirked, “What’s this? Your friend wants to meet me?”

“Ignore that,” I hissed as I shot him an evil glare. This idiot needs to keep his nose away from other people’s personal stuff.

“I want to meet this kid.” And before I knew it, Shinwoo jumped off the bed and ran to the bathroom. I jumped off and ran after him since I knew what he was up to. Too bad I was slower than him and he successful locked the bathroom door before I managed to reach him. I still can’t believe the fact that he’s older than me when he acts like such a little brat.

“Give me my phone!” I shouted as I repeatedly slammed my fist against the door.

The noise of buttons being pressed was heard and a low chuckle came from the other side of the door. After a few seconds, the door opened and Shinwoo walked out with a wide smile.

“As you wish,” Shinwoo said as he handed me the phone and walked back to my room.

I opened my inbox in my phone and read the last few messages.

To: Wanna meet me and my cousin near the public library downtown?

From: Sure! ill meet yu guys there in an hour

Damn it, Shinwoo. I stomped over to my room and glared at the older male who was playing with his own cellphone. “What the hell is wrong with you?” I snapped as I tossed my phone on the bed. “I don’t want you to meet up with Baro.”

“Well, I do,” Shinwoo smirked, “I want to meet your only friend.”

“You’re lucky I don’t kill you on the spot.”

Shinwoo stuck his tongue out and went back to playing on his phone. “We’re leaving in 10 minutes.”

Seriously, how is he the older one?