The Last Train Arrives

The Last Train

 

That would be the last train for this day. Thank you for trusting Gyeongbu HSR.”

 

The announcement blared on the radios on the train’s platform, and the once busy place became quiet as the passengers started to leave. I grabbed my suitcase and headed for the exit, but the two guys in front of me were moving like turtles and I was forced to trail behind them.

 

I rubbed my temples in frustration as I tried to overtake but to no avail.

 

Come on, move. I want to go home already.

 

These days, I found myself having blackouts and I always get terrible headaches. I wanted to go to the doctor, but I’m pressed for time. I was promoted and that meant more workload, but I needed the extra money.

 

“Look at that girl,” the guy in front of me said to his friend. His friend turned to the direction he pointed, and I, myself, turned to the girl he was referring to.

 

“Oh, her. She’s always here, isn’t she?”

 

“I think that girl is crazy. Rain or shine, she’s here. What a waste. She’s such a beauty.” And he went on rambling about some girl he met on his work.

 

I tuned him out and stared at the girl who was standing on the platform, as if waiting for something.

 

Didn’t she hear the announcement?

 

I turned my gaze away when I saw her head my direction. For some reason, I feel something stir inside me whenever I see her. I don’t know why, but it feels like I know her from somewhere.

 

I just stood there, frozen, and when she passed by me, our elbows touched. She turned, and I was awed by what I saw.

 

Calling her a beauty is an insult. She’s a goddess.

 

I have never seen a girl as beautiful as her. Her hair was let down and it shone like copper under the sun. Her skin was as white as ivory, and it deeply contrasted with her hair. Every feature of her face was perfect, like it was sculpted by the gods. But what caught my attention were her eyes. It was the most expressive pair I have ever seen.

 

She’s crying.

 

She shot me a confused and annoyed look after she touched her elbow and left. I, on the other hand, was mesmerized by the beauty before me, and it took me a minute before I budged from my location.



 

Who is she?

 

Days have already passed but I can’t get her image out of my mind. Something about that girl made me curious, but no matter how I tried, I can’t get any reason for me to think about her.

 

She’s just a girl.

 

For five years, I always saw her on the platform, waiting for the last train. After it arrived, she would throw something on the rails, and then leave like everybody else.

 

I wanted to talk to her, but I struggled on what to say. What should I say to her without sounding like a total stalker?

 

“Hello. I notice you go here every day. Are you okay?”

 

Lame.

 

Besides, she doesn’t know me. What if she freaks out and calls security? That would be beyond awkward.

 

A girl who was doing the same thing every day.

 

Crazy?

 

No. I don’t think so. She’s always dressed in an elegant manner, the type of dresses only the wealthy could buy. It was always black though.

 

I wonder who it could be she’s grieving.

 

And I just found myself grieving for no reason.



 

“We are now near the station. Please make sure you have all your belongings secured. Thank you.”

 

The announcer’s voice woke me up from my sleep. I fell asleep again.

 

Maybe I should go see the doctor.

 

When the train stopped, I went out and my eyes searched for the girl who was occupying my thoughts. Like clockwork, she was there again, throwing something on the railroad tracks. I squinted my eyes to get a better view and saw flowers.

 

Lilies?

 

Why would she be throwing those?

 

“Who are you looking at?”

 

A voice from my back startled me and I turned to see who it was. It was an old woman and I guessed she was one of the cleaning crew of the station. I bowed at her and she said, “You’re looking at that girl, aren’t you?”

 

I nodded shyly, embarrassed someone saw me stalk the mysterious girl.

“I was just curious, ahjumma,” I said.

 

The old woman smiled, and chuckled. “That girl has been here for almost five years, standing on that platform, throwing flowers.”

 

“Yeah. I noticed.”

 

The old woman faced me. Somehow, her gaze made me feel uncomfortable. But what made more uneasy were the words she said next.

 

“She’s been waiting for you, Jiyong. Isn’t it time to go back to her?”

 

What?

 

What are you talking about?

 

And how did you know my name?

 

I looked at the old woman, and chuckled, although my brain was definitely confused. I tried to speak, but the words won’t come out. Time froze and everything stopped moving.

 

“She has always waited for you. Don’t you remember a thing, Jiyong? Remember and you can go back.”

 

Remember?

 

What is there to remember?

 

Remember…

 

I closed my eyes, and that was when I remembered…everything.



 

I was on my way from work one night, and I boarded the last train. I was feeling really happy because of the promotion I got and I can’t wait to tell it to my girl friend, Dara. I wanted to share her the good news, and maybe a lot more of that. I bought a ring and planned to propose that night too, on the platform where we first met.

 

But maybe, I wasn’t meant to be happy.

 

Because halfway home, a guy boarding the train suddenly opened fire.

 

The last memory I had was clutching the ring on my hands as I watch blood gush out of my head.



 

“Can I still go back?” I asked through my tears. The old woman smiled at me and said, “It’s your choice. Choose what makes you happy.”

 

Then I choose her.

 

After that, I was enveloped by a bright light and I knew I made the right choice.



 

The next thing I knew, I was in a hospital bed, attached to different tubes, which I think supported my life for five years.

 

I slowly opened my eyes, and saw Dara, clutching my hand with hers. I let out a weak smile and said, “Sorry for making you wait.”

 

“It’s okay. You’re back.” She kissed my hand and cried. “That’s all that matters.”

 

I smiled back at her.

 

While she was waiting for the last train, I was waiting for her, not knowing that it was me she was waiting for.