Truth is

When it’s all said and done...

 

I opened the door of my favorite café and stepped inside. I deeply inhaled taking in the rich scent of coffees and muffins. I walked up to the counter with a smile on my face. ‘What will I have today?’ I thought. I slightly bit on my lip and tucked some hair behind my ear looking over the array of sweetness. I heard someone chuckled behind me.

                “Shin Se Kyung?” He questioned. I turned around and I saw a familiar face from a chapter in my past. I stared at him wide-eyed and quietly said his name.

                “J-Jonghyun-ssi.” He smiled that easy smile of his.

                “Ah! I knew it saw you. You used to tuck your hair behind your ear all the time. I can’t believe you still do that.” ‘Mental note: stopping tucking my hair!’ I thought.  I gave him a smile and said,

                “Old habits die hard.” Jonghyun nodded.

                “Indeed true.” He looked around me. “Um, were you waiting on someone…?”

                “Oh no!” I waved my hands. “I was about to order some food.”

                “Let’s eat together then.” He grabbed a plate and started to put food on it. I followed his actions and sat down at a table with him. I bit into my warm chocolate chip cookie when he said,

                “You look good, Se Kyung-ssi.” I covered my mouth and gave him an eye smile. When I quickly swallowed my cookie, I responded,

                “Thank you. You look good yourself.” I placed my elbows on the table and rested my chin on my hands, flipping my hair to one side. “So, Jonghyun-ssi, how are you?”

                “I’m doing good! I’m actually seeing someone right now.” I blinked and sat up-right.

                “Really?”                                                                                            

                He nodded, “Yes, really.” Jonghyun reached into his pocket and took out a photograph. He handed it to me. I look at it.

                “H-he’s really pretty…”

Jonghyun beamed, “Isn’t he?” I handed him the photo back and as he was putting it away, he said, “I have a feeling that we’re going to last.” Jonghyun smiled proudly.

“Ah, congrats.”

“Thanks, but what about you? Are you seeing someone?”

I looked down at the food, “no, I’m not.”

“You’ll find someone right for you. You’re a great girl.” Jonghyun gave me that lopsided grin and I felt a pang in my chest. All the feelings I thought were gone came rushing back to me at once. I smiled at Jonghyun, trying to hide the way I felt.

“I know I will. I’ll find someone better than you.” I teased and playfully pushed his shoulder. I really wanted to say, ‘I never got over you.’ He laughed.

“Yeah, you better! Someone who could put all their attention on you.” Again, I looked down at my food as he continued. “Someone who could make time for you…Se Kyung-ssi?” I looked at him. Jonghyun gave me an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t good to you.”

I shook my head, “there’s no need to be sorry. We both made mistakes and it’s for the better.” I tried to make my smile seem genuine. Suddenly, his phone went off. He looked at it.

“Oh, I have to go.” He got up and paid for the food. I grabbed my bag and walked outside the café and waited for him. When he came out, he asked, “Can I have your number?” I nodded and we exchanged numbers. “Well, keep in touch, okay?”

“Yes. Um, bye.”

“It was nice seeing you, bye.”

We both walked away and that was that. On my walk back home, I caught myself wishing I was in his shoes. Truth is I should have never let Jonghyun go and the truth hurts. When it’s all said and done, I guess I’m still in love you.