Chapter 19

Escaping

Jonghyun's mom came out of the kitchen carrying the rice pot and frowned at her husband, who was sitting at the table sipping at a coffee and reading a newspaper.

"Is Jonghyun up yet?" She asked him, setting down the pot.

"Aniyo. Not yet; you know how long that boy can sleep in for."

Mrs. Kim smiled, pleased and overjoyed that her youngest child was back home, even if the circumstances weren't the best.

"He probably hasn't gotten to sleep in in a while," She added, retuning back to get more food from the kitchen.

"Mmm...I'm going to call one of s though. They need to know he's here and take him back." Mr. Kim put down his paper and looked at his wife seriously, watching as she returned again with food to set on the table.

Mrs. Kim hesitated.

"...Are you sure? Couldn't we just give him a few days to -"

"No," He said firmly. "He needs to go back now before things start getting even more out of hand."

Mrs. Kim nodded reluctantly.

"Alright then..."

Mr. Kim nodded stiffly and got up from his chair with a quiet sigh. He crossed the room and reached for the phone, dialing a number.


It took about thirty minutes for someone to come, and by then, Jonghyun still wasn't "awake". 

A black car with tinted windows pulled up in the driveway, the driver cutting the engine and sitting inside the vehicle for a couple long seconds before opening the door and stepping out. 

Mrs. Kim was pleasently surprised to see Taemin from the window in their living room, his long, brown hair trapped underneath a black beanie. He looked so much more grown up than he had before, but that shy smile that had been on his face the first time they had met was gone, probably with worry for her son.

"Taemin!" She called to him from the door as he walked up the driveway, his head down. He looked up and smiled, but it was without his usual warmth.

"Good morning, Ahjumma." He said, bowing. She beamed at him and ushered him inside.

"Look at you~! You look so grown up! I love your hair!" She continued praising him as she led him towards the kitchen, her hand on his back. 

Taemin just merely smiled, nodded, and thanked her for her compliments. He liked his hyung's mom. She reminded him of his own in a way. 

She asked him to sit at the table and asked if he would like tea. He nodded enthusiasticcly.

"Yes, please, ahjumma."

While she filled the kettle with water, Jonghyun's dad came into the kitchen from another room and gave Taemin a small smile when he saw him sitting there.

"Ah, Taemin. It's good to see you. How have you been?"

Taemin rose from his seat and bowed to him.

"It's good to see you as well, ahjusshi. I have been well. How have you been?"

Mr. Kim looked at his wife and smiled. 

"...Such manners. Why isn't he our son?" He teased.

Taemin smiled.

"Thank you, sir." He waited for Mr. Kim to sit at the table before sitting again.

Jonghyun's father crossed his legs and reached for the paper again.

Taemin shifted uncomfortably, not really sure what it was he was supposed to do as he waited for the water to boil.

"U-Um...if you don't mind me asking, where is Jonghyun-hyung?" 

Mrs. Kim looked up from her putting tea leaves in three cups and answered his question with another smile.

"He's still upstairs sleeping, sweety. He should be down soon. I can't imagine that his internal alarm clock could disappear in just one night...What time do you guys normally get up at the dorm?"

"6:30 or so..." He answered.

Jonghyun's mom nodded and glanced at the clock.

"Well it's nearly 7:30, so he should be down soon. If you're in a hurry though, we can go wake him up if you'd like. I know how busy you kids are."

Taemin shook his head with another smile.

"That's alright. I don't have to be anywhere until noon."

After Mrs. Kim had made breakfast, and insisted that Taemin eat with them, Taemin finally decided that he had to start going back to the dorm if he wanted to make it to his schedules in time. It was nearly 8:20, and as much as he didn't want to wake up Jonghyun, he had to.

He sighed as Mr. Kim led him up the stairs to Jonghyun's room. He knocked on the door, but there was no answer.

"Jonghyun? Are you awake? You're mother has made breakfast..."

There was still no answer and he and Taemin shared concerned looks.

"Jonghyun? Are you in there?" His father asked again, knocking on the door - but, once more, there was no answer.

Jonghyun's dad sighed. 

"I'll go check the bathroom and see if he's taking a shower or something. I'm so sorry for the wait, Taemin. I know you're in a hurry."

Taemin shook his head.

"It's fine, sir. I'll just call the manager-hyung if I have to and tell him that we're going to be a little late."

With out a response, Mr. Kim, frowning, went to go look for his son. After a couple minutes though, he came back with no Jonghyun and a very concerned look on his face.

"...D-do you think he left?" Taemin asked timedly, fidgeting. He had told the manager that Jonghyun's parents had called and that had Jonghyun with them, and he knew the manager would be furious with him if he came back Jonghyun-less.

Mr. Kim ignored him and reached up for a small key that lay on the on top of the door frame. He pushed it in the lock, and after a couple seconds of fiddling with it, Taemin heard the lock click and they were able to open the door.

Taemin felt his heart sink upon seeing the neatly made bed with a note lying on the pillow which read: Dear, My Family

Damnit...I was so close...