The Masquerade.

The Masquerade

Shechecked herself in the mirror for the last time as she tied on her mask, ready to enter the ballroom of the party. She took a deep breath, as the guards pushed open the doors, revealing to her the ballroom, where everyone wore their masks, dancing in pairs - a masquerade ball.

 

She was the only girl without a date, she was sure. She looked with envy at the pairs of people, so much in love. She found an empty seat at the corner of the ballroom – away from the love that hung in the air like perfume.

 

She wore a white tube dress that reached all the way to her shin. The material clung onto her thin waist, and the dress spreads around her like a protective veil. The light blue ribbon on her dress flowed to the end of her dress, like a river flowing through a snow plain. Her long hair was in loose curls, as they rested on her shoulders. Her mask was decorated with lace, as it hid part of her face, only revealing her bright brown eyes. She was blushing slightly, as her cheeks reflected a cute shade of pink. Her lips were colored-in with light pink, slightly moist as she them awhile ago out of anxiety.

 

*Hmmm…. What should I do?*she thought as she tried to appear nonchalant, but was actually frightened and frustrated. How she wished that she could slip back to her world, living in her own shell, as she strums her guitar without any worries.

 

“Can I ask you to a dance?” she hears a voice behind her ask.

 

She spun around, as her dress spread around her in a circle. “S... Sure!” as she took her hand.

 

He led her to the dance floor, as he placed his hands onto her hips. They danced, and she was excited and very happy. She was sure he was her prince charming for the night. He wasn’t very good looking, even though he wore a mask. His eyes don’t shine like she hoped for them to be. Her attraction to him wasn’t as strong as she prayed for it to be. But she didn’t mind. At least she wasn’t alone anymore and two is always better than one.

 

They danced for awhile, and suddenly she lost her footing. She saw everything in a blur as she fell to the ground, landing with a ‘thud’ as her dress pooled around her. She looked up to her partner, but he was no longer looking at her. He was even starting to move away from her, his eyes never once again looking at her. People started laughing at the poor girl in the white dress, all alone once again, tears beginning to well up in her eyes. She forced them back, because crying will just make her look worse. Then suddenly…..

 

---

 

She felt a firm hand on her shoulders, pulling her up, giving her strength. She looked at the stranger as he led her out to the garden. The garden was beautiful, decorated with champagne roses and scented candles. The air was filled with the scent of roses – her favorite. Her mysterious stranger led her to one of the empty benches in the garden, never once saying anything.

 

*Sympathy. Pity. Fake*was running through her head as she suddenly felt a gush of anger through.

 

“Stop. That’s enough of your sympathy. Thank you very much. You may go.” she said as she tried her best not to flare up.

 

“Hmm… that’s the first thing you say to a person that you’ve just met?” he asked, amused.

 

She tore her eyes from her fingers and glared at the masked stranger, “Who are you? Why are you being so nice? It’s not really your problem you know?” she shouted.

 

But he just stood there, looking at her with understanding eyes, as if he understood that she did not want to be sympathized. As if he feels the way she feels. As if he knows her for a very long time.

 

That dissolved every ounce of anger in her, as she said, “Sorry. Pretend I didn’t say that.”

 

“Hmm…” He said as he reached for her once again, pulled her up and spun her around. “Well, now that you’re done, it’s my turn.”He placed his hands onto her shoulders and bent down to look into her eyes “You’re extremely beautiful tonight, more beautiful than the times I’ve seen you, and you’re so beautiful that it kills to just look at you.”

 

“Then why do you still look if it kills you?” she asked as her breath quicken.

“Well…. I’d die a happy man.” He replied, as he lifted his hand and brushed the side of her face gently, trailing down to her neck. It sent shivers all over her body.

 

“You haven’t answered my questions. Who are you? Why are you being so nice to me?” she asked.

 

“Why do you want to know so much about me? Just know that you’re Lee Ji Eun and that will do.” He said as he turned around to get something.

 

He was beautiful. Although not he’s muscular, but he is definitely more good-looking than any guy in that ballroom. His hair framed his face perfectly, and it was his eyes that drew her in like a black hole, except that his were brown. He wore a white tux that matched her dress perfectly, with a champagne rose corsage pinned at his pocket.

 

“What? But-“

 

JiEun went silent as he held out a single champagne rose to her. “Here. A rose for a rose. Even though you can’t be possibly matched to a rose. It’s not fair since your beauty most definitely surpass its.” He said with a shrug.

 

“Stop complimenting me. I’m not all that.” JiEun said, blushing.

 

“You sure?” he asked, then with a chuckle he bowed, offering her his hand. “May I have a dance with you my lady?”

 

JiEun stared his hand, as she placed her smaller one onto it. She felt the spark of electricity through her as they touched this time, as he led her back to the crowded ballroom.

 

---

 

The masked stranger led her to the dance floor, ignoring the snickers and smirks at her direction. He gently placed his hands onto her waist and the other one holding her to him tightly. JiEun leaned her head on his shoulder, as she inhaled his smell, overwhelmed by it and needing it like a drug.

 

They moved across the dance floor, their silhouette transforming into one, and their body binding together. He twirled her gently, catching her by the waist, eyes never leaving hers. JiEun’s dress was like a white peacock dancing in the light, the material floating around the pair crazily, as if not allowing anyone to disturb this intimate moment.

 

The spotlight shone onto them, but it was the sparks that pulsated between them that made JiEun’s breath catch. She prayed that this moment will never end, hoping that it would continue into eternity. She lost herself in his eyes, like he lost himself in hers. She didn’t know how and she didn’t care, when everything in the ballroom evaporated, leaving only them and the soothing music between them. They were so close that it was hard to believe that they have just met that night. She did not care who she was anymore. She forgot her identity as IU, a singer. She forgot her role as a student. She forgot the lyrics to her songs, her dance steps and even her own locker password. She was willing to forget all these than to leave her masked prince for even just a second.

 

However, nothing goes on forever. People started appearing again, and she started to recall again when the music came to an end. How she wished to curse at the music player, and how much she wished to clutch at the moments, making them come back.

 

Suddenly, he pulled her even closer. Those who don’t know will call this a hug, but she knew. She was anticipating the latter. He whispered into her ear softly, only for the both of them,

 

“My lady? Being so close to you is a sin. You smell sweeter than any perfume in the world. You sound better than any song in the world. You look even prettier than Aphrodite herself – the goddess of beauty and love.” He whispered, as he planted a soft kiss on her forehead.

 

“Can you please tell me who are you?” JiEun tried again “How can you know me so well, without me knowing you?”

 

“You don’t have to. Just know that there will always be a guardian angel out there for you, protecting you from any danger, crying for you when you’re upset, smiling for you when you’re happy, and loving you because you’ll be his only.” He replied, and with that, his lips landed onto hers, like they were two poles of a magnet.

 

The kiss was gentle but passionate. Sparks exploded between them, and JiEun felt the pleasure of the kiss burst at the back of her head. Their lips were like they were molded for each other and they fit perfectly. JiEun’s eye lids parted slightly to admire his face – eye lashes so long that it will make any girl jealous. Skin so flawless that it hurt her self-esteem. And lips that was busy with hers. She shut her eyes again, enjoying the kiss that lasted for about 10 seconds. But actually seem like an eternity for her.

 

He pulled away and trailed his finger on JiEun’s face once again down to her neck. He then placed a small piece of paper into her hands and turned away, leaving.

 

“Wai-“ but before she could finish, he was already gone, disappearing into the crowd.

 

She opened the piece of paper and it read –

 

From: C.D.

 

Search deep, because my heart is lost in yours.

 

---

 

She danced alone in her room that night, in her own world, in her own shell. Now she knows that she’s never alone. His note kept her up till 3am that night, replaying the kiss more than one million times in her head. It kept her wondering-

 

*Will he be there during the next masquerade?*

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hey readers! I’m SO SORRY! Sorry for being on hiatus for so long. I was overseas and I couldn’t write there. Sorry Lapologies. Anyways…. This is a fic for IU and ChunDoong. I got the inspiration after listening to IU’s new album – REAL. It is seriously the best. I love it. Even when I’m typing this now, I’m listening to it. LOL! Hope you guys like this fic, and I must emphasize. The male lead is ChunDoong, since I didn’t say his name at all in the fic. Hee(: Hope you will dig this, since it’s my first shot at a one shot. Hey…… it rhymes! LOL! Anyways…… Love you readers and I’m sorry!