Chapter 11

Make Me Understand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No.” the woman, the same woman who embraced Winter to comfort at the station said, standing with her arms crossed with Winter behind her. 

 

Karina's eyebrows furrowed, “What do you mean 'no'?” 

 

“Just as you heard it. No.” the woman said firmly. 

 

Nasa harap si Karina ng pinto ni Winter kasama si Felix para sana makausap s'ya pero itong babae ang nagbukas ng pinto at nakaharap nila. 

 

“I... I just really want to apologize for my mistake. Mali yung ginawa ko and —” 

 

“Luhod.” the woman cuts him off. 

 

Felix and Karina then looks at her in disbelief. 

 

“What?” Felix asked.

 

“I said... Luhod.” 

 

“Are you being serious right now?” Felix asked. 

 

“You want to apologize, right? Luhod.” 

 

“Hold on, miss. You're not even Winter, does she even want this?” Karina asked this time, trying to see Winter behind the woman but the latter blocks her sight again. 

 

“You get it wrong. This is my condition for me to allow him to talk and apologize to Winter.” 

 

“You're unbelievable. I'm here to apologize to her, not to you.” Felix answered, getting annoyed. 

 

“And that's my point, sweetheart. You can't talk and apologize to her unless you make it past me. Now if you want to talk to her, dadaan ka muna saakin.” the woman explained calmly, they can even hear her foreign accent especially when she speaks tagalog. 

 

They stayed there for a moment, looking at the woman in disbelief but she just won't back down, already determined to see Felix kneel down. 

 

“Well?” the woman asked, waiting for their decision whether to give in or not. 

 

“This... This doesn't make sense.” Felix said. 

 

The woman then shrugs her shoulder, “You've decided then.” she said before closing the door. 

 

Karina and Felix sigh defeatedly as they face each other. “Well then, better luck next time?” 

 

“Ano pa nga ba?” Felix answered, “Sino ba 'yon? Ate n'ya din?” 

 

“I don't know. But they seem very close.” 

 

“Alright. Alis na 'ko, baka ma-late ka sa date n'yo ni Jeno.” and they started walking towards the elevator together. 

 

“It's not a date nga kasi. I'm planning to reject him, for good na this time.” 

 

Nagulat si Felix sa narinig dahil alam n'yang gusto at willing din magtry talaga si Karina with Jeno. Medyo matagal nadin when the guy started courting his friend. 

 

“Why? Did he do something wrong? Sabihin mo lang, Karina, you know na —”

 

“Hey, no. He's a good guy, you guys know that.” Karina immediately explained. “It's just that, kahit anong try at pilit ko, wala talaga eh, I just really can't picture myself being with him.” 

 

“Okay. You're old enough to decide for yourself, Karina. Just know that we're always here lang ah?” 

 

“Of course.” 

 

 

 

 

• • •

 

 

 

 

 

Karina took a deep breath after Jeno left at the café where they talked.

 

She explained her side and she genuinely feels bad for turning him down, he's actually a very gentleman and husband material and whoever would marry him will be very lucky but she just can't force herself when she really can't feel anything for him.

 

He's hurt. But as the gentle and understanding man that he is, he respected her decision.

 

Tumunog ang bell sa pinto, tanda na may pumasok sa café. 

 

Karina was busy updating Giselle about what happened sa cellphone n'ya and after a few minutes, may nag-tap sa balikat n'ya kaya napatingala s'ya.

 

“A-ano... Hello.” 

 

Karina immediately smiled at the sight, “Winter, hi!” 

 

“Hi.” umiwas ng tingin si Winter, nahihiya.

 

And Karina smiled fondly, “Hey, what is it?” 

 

The girl fidgeted on her fingers, “Puno na kasi... Ang ibig kong sabihin... Wala nang bakanteng table... teka, wala pala, 'wag na—”

 

“You can sit here, I don't mind.” Karina said instead just when Winter was about to back out.

 

“Talaga?”

 

“Oo. Ako lang mag-isa.” 

 

“Sige, uhm, kunin ko lang order ko.” nagmadali pang tumakbo si Winter papuntang counter na para namang magagalit si Karina kapag matagal s'ya. 

 

Natawa nalang tuloy si Karina, “Cute.” 

 

When Winter settled on the seat across her and put her mango float and mango smoothie down, Karina can't help but ask, “Mahilig ka sa mango?”

 

Nahihiyang tiningnan s'ya saglit ni Winter bago nag-focus sa pagkain n'ya, “Oo, favorite ko kasi. Yung mangga, I mean. Gusto mo?” 

 

Karina chuckled, “I just had mine, okay na 'ko sa coffee ko.” she gestured sa kape n'ya na hindi pa ubos.

 

Hinayaan naman n'ya na ubusin muna ni Winter yung mango float n'ya at mukha ding hindi magpapa-awat sa pagkain 'to. 

 

When Winter was done with her mango float, she took a sip from her mango smoothie before Karina decided to ask, “Ate mo yung kanina?” 

 

Winter then finally looks at her. “Hindi. Girlfriend ni ate Chaewon.” 

 

Medyo nagulat pa si Karina nang marinig 'to, not expecting those beauties to swing the same way pero hindi n'ya pinahalata kay Winter at baka isipin nitong jina-judge n'ya sila.

 

“You seems close, no?” she said instead.

 

“Oo. Medyo close nga kami. Isa din kasi s'ya sa nagbabantay at nag-aalaga saakin nung nasa rehabilitatio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter